• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another new epic Metroid Dread Trailer - Return of someone we haven't seen in a while... (Some might consider SPOILER)

jaysius

Banned
Infantile attempts at console warring like this are not acceptable.
Still something about this thing makes it look/feel like a shitty phone app, it might be the generic UI or the repetitive background scrolling in a few scenes.

Nintendo doesn't usually do this style of trickle hype for games, this is a shitty weird new thing for them.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Still something about this thing makes it look/feel like a shitty phone app, it might be the generic UI or the repetitive background scrolling in a few scenes.

Nintendo doesn't usually do this style of trickle hype for games, this is a shitty weird new thing for them.

Are you that triggered by this trailer that you have to laugh at people's excited reactions to it? Get a life

Exactly....loser. Another asshole for the ignore list.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Same director as Super Metroid?
Nope Yoshio Sakamoto is only a producer this time.

It's directed by the Samus Returns 3DS guy... there were so many awful aspects of that game that are outside of what fits into Metroid, too many annoying "run from this boss" sequences too many annoying bosses with bad mechanics, and other dumb things like the counter move that had shitty timing, things that are truly dreadful.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

I think it's the most Epic trailer yet. Shows a ton of environments and enemies and more awesome cutscene/cinematic work of MercurySteam. And well yeah, the big green guy we haven't seen since Super Metroid (not counting Zero Mission)

Just posted it in another thread I opened and I didn't know if it was worth it another... It definitely does... This game went from "welp, I'll buy it cause it's the first metroid in 19 metroid" to "HOLYMOTHEROFGODSAJDBAYSUHD I NEED IT!!"

Kuranghi

fAtBcsE.gif

I made this just for you J jaysius

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

It's directed by the Samus Returns 3DS guy... there were so many awful aspects of that game that are outside of what fits into Metroid, too many annoying "run from this boss" sequences too many annoying bosses with bad mechanics, and other dumb things like the counter move that had shitty timing, things that are truly dreadful.
Well hopefully this turns out to be a good metroid game.

Jeeves

Admittedly I watched through squinted eyes because I feel like we have too many trailers for this now and I want to save some of the wow factor for when I play. But this looks awesome. This game's going to go some interesting places and I'm here for it.

jaysius

Banned
Well hopefully this turns out to be a good metroid game.
Not a ton of hope here, from the way this looks, it's an upscaled 3DS game.

It's not the fault of the dev, look at their previous works. They also made that awful Castlevania remake that tanked big time.

People are thirsty for a new Metroid game despite the oversaturation of the genre in the indies. Some games have done "Metroid" better than Metroid, Nintendo doesn't realize that I guess, they're still used to being the big dogs that just "show up" and get praise for arriving at the party, even if they brought Corona's and have awful BO.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Samus Returns had 2 directors, one from Mercury Steam and one from Nintendo(Takehiko Hosokawa ) plus Sakamoto as producer

Anyways, Dread looks to be a huge improvment over Samus Returns on every way 😁 i bet this game is just gonna be dreadfully awesome

Buggy Loop

It could look like Super Metroid for all I care and it would still be a bigger GOTY contender than the CinEmATIc TRHUUPPPPLEEEE AAAAAYYYYYY games.

But thankfully, it's the best looking 2D Metroid by far

iu

Zpf6n2l.jpg

ZH4Zvdm.png

Qy5GfRO.png

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Not a ton of hope here, from the way this looks, it's an upscaled 3DS game.

It's not the fault of the dev, look at their previous works. They also made that awful Castlevania remake that tanked big time.

People are thirsty for a new Metroid game despite the oversaturation of the genre in the indies. Some games have done "Metroid" better than Metroid, Nintendo doesn't realize that I guess, they're still used to being the big dogs that just "show up" and get praise for arriving at the party, even if they brought Corona's and have awful BO.
Now that you say it, yeah it looks like they took Samus Returns, literally upscaled the resolution to 720 and called it a day, damn. I was gonna buy Metroid Dread but i cannot support such low effort from Nintendo 😔party is over guys

Buggy Loop

Now that you say it, yeah it looks like they took Samus Returns, literally upscaled the resolution to 720 and called it a day, damn. I was gonna buy Metroid Dread but i cannot support such low effort from Nintendo 😔party is over guys

Also, everyone complaining about the lab/white environment in the E3 trailer. Now a trailer that reveals underwater, lava, outside/sky, forest biomes with literally not a single repeating background in the trailer outside of the Chozo fight and “it’s repeating!”

Doc Rivers Reaction GIF

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game looks gorgeous from a design perspective. Oh and it's not developed by Nintendo.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They are great :messenger_beaming:. It was Sub Boss's post that was sarcastic. Look at what he replied to. The standard "UpScAlEd 3Ds GaMe" rhetoirc that has been flying about since Dread was revealed.
Aw shit, I shouldn't have quit taking coffee, for sure. :goog_relieved:

carlosrox

Banned
This pumped me up, and makes me want to buy a Switch, so ... mission accomplished, I guess?
Switch OLED ;) ?

Admittedly I watched through squinted eyes because I feel like we have too many trailers for this now and I want to save some of the wow factor for when I play. But this looks awesome. This game's going to go some interesting places and I'm here for it.

LOL I did the same thing at first but then I was like fuck it. Somehow I didn't find it too spoilery. I like how this doesn't truly explain everything still. We still get to go into the game and find out just what the hell is going on.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
looks better with each trailer. I really don't get the criticism for the graphics at this point, at least when looking at the art direction:

ZH4Zvdm.png

this for example has cool visuals and the colors are chosen wisely. Especially the purple of the tree works really well with the white/robotic and in general the scenery looks nice.

mcjmetroid

Can't say I agree with any of this.
1: graphically it could be a lot worse. See the no more heroes 3 thread. I'll defend this game to the death bacause it a rare switch game that runs in 60Fps that isn't a port of A game released previously on their console. It also holds its own as a 2D game visually.

2:
the game was announced like 1 month ago? Would you like the cyberpunk method on unveiling a game 7 years before it released?

The Skull

looks better with each trailer. I really don't get the criticism for the graphics at this point, at least when looking at the art direction:

ZH4Zvdm.png

this for example has cool visuals and the colors are chosen wisely. Especially the purple of the tree works really well with the white/robotic and in general the scenery looks nice.
Shush. You are clearing not seeing it correctly. This is literally Samus Returns just upscaled.
/s

Delt31

so I'm not an avid follower of this game but was super pumped to hear another 2d metroid was being made. Super Metroid is still one of my favorite games ever.

Looking at this game, there is something that bothers me about the graphics. I read one user mentioned they remind him of cell phone style - I agree 100%. There is something cheap looking about this game. I think SM looks much better. Not sure what it is but it's disappointing. Otherwise, trailer was awesome.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
so I'm not an avid follower of this game but was super pumped to hear another 2d metroid was being made. Super Metroid is still one of my favorite games ever.

Looking at this game, there is something that bothers me about the graphics. I read one user mentioned they remind him of cell phone style - I agree 100%. There is something cheap looking about this game. I think SM looks much better. Not sure what it is but it's disappointing. Otherwise, trailer was awesome.
Tell me which phone games look like this. I’ll buy them all.

Top Bottom