• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another new epic Metroid Dread Trailer - Return of someone we haven't seen in a while... (Some might consider SPOILER)

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
a9e.gif
soyboy-crying.gif

(Sorry) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Seriously, though...I'm super happy and cannot wait! ♥️

Last edited:

Delt31

Tell me which phone games look like this. I’ll buy them all.
Those remakes of old games on the android platform (like the new contra, some others) - it has that janky/not hand drawn feel to me. Maybe it's b/c I grew up in a time with hand drawn old school nintendo games but to me the style of Super Metroid looks like better quality. When I visit what they call "arcades" now with all of these cell phone games on giant screens, it gives me that same batch created/janky style that maybe others don't see b/c they've grown up only seeing stuff like that. It's terrible imo and I expect better from Nintendo on such a great franchise like Metroid.

I'll def play it b/c I love the series but when others comment on the graphics, it's not trolling b/c I'm certainly not one to waste time to troll.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

so I'm not an avid follower of this game but was super pumped to hear another 2d metroid was being made. Super Metroid is still one of my favorite games ever.

Looking at this game, there is something that bothers me about the graphics. I read one user mentioned they remind him of cell phone style - I agree 100%. There is something cheap looking about this game. I think SM looks much better. Not sure what it is but it's disappointing. Otherwise, trailer was awesome.

d3goco6d9ra41.jpg

V0nYReo.gif

I can't believe this argument is even coming/repeating.

carlosrox

Banned
FFS why did I watch this thinking there would be no spoilers?
I actually don't feel spoiled by this cuz I figured whatever was gonna be trailer 2 would definitely wanna show some later abilities, more locales, and a bit more story stuff.

This is about what I expected. And we still don't know the *actual* story of this game!

At this point though I hope we're not shown any more. This is definitely enough for me.
Let us speculate but they should not be confirming anything else at this point.

Can NOT wait. This is seriously a dream come true for me. Like, not even just wanting a console 2D Metroid since Super, or the fact this is Metroid 5....even when I was playing Returns I was like plz plz let there be a sequel to this on Switch (and a remaster of Returns as well WTF!).

And here it is looking fucking amazing.

bit_blaster

Neo Member
I actually don't feel spoiled by this cuz I figured whatever was gonna be trailer 2 would definitely wanna show some later abilities, more locales, and a bit more story stuff.

This is about what I expected. And we still don't know the *actual* story of this game!

At this point though I hope we're not shown any more. This is definitely enough for me.
Let us speculate but they should not be confirming anything else at this point.

Can NOT wait. This is seriously a dream come true for me. Like, not even just wanting a console 2D Metroid since Super, or the fact this is Metroid 5....even when I was playing Returns I was like plz plz let there be a sequel to this on Switch (and a remaster of Returns as well WTF!).

And here it is looking fucking amazing.
I just figured it would be a short story only trailer, but damn I wasn't expecting all this at once.

I'm psyched, Nintendo really brought the hype for me with this game in an otherwise dull E3. Heres hoping Kraid makes an appearance in Prime 4.

Buggy Loop

FFS why did I watch this thinking there would be no spoilers?

We got Kraid, Seeker Missiles, Gravity Suit, evil birds, and back dash. September is going to be one long ass month to get through.

That gameplay looks tight af as well.

Don't forget Shinespark

Also the concept art shows more Chozo warriors. So cool that Samus will fight enemies with Samus' equivalent armor. Should be very tense.

mv.jpg

Onironauta

so I'm not an avid follower of this game but was super pumped to hear another 2d metroid was being made. Super Metroid is still one of my favorite games ever.

Looking at this game, there is something that bothers me about the graphics. I read one user mentioned they remind him of cell phone style - I agree 100%. There is something cheap looking about this game. I think SM looks much better. Not sure what it is but it's disappointing. Otherwise, trailer was awesome.
I feel the same about the graphics and i don't understand exactly what bugs me about them. It looks kind of...flat

Astral Dog

Those remakes of old games on the android platform (like the new contra, some others) - it has that janky/not hand drawn feel to me. Maybe it's b/c I grew up in a time with hand drawn old school nintendo games but to me the style of Super Metroid looks like better quality. When I visit what they call "arcades" now with all of these cell phone games on giant screens, it gives me that same batch created/janky style that maybe others don't see b/c they've grown up only seeing stuff like that. It's terrible imo and I expect better from Nintendo on such a great franchise like Metroid.

I'll def play it b/c I love the series but when others comment on the graphics, it's not trolling b/c I'm certainly not one to waste time to troll.
Like, i almost get you in that many 2.5D (and some 2D) modern games pale in comparison to their old school pixel installments, for example Samus Returns and Bloodstained, while looking good in their own way just can't recapture the charm, animation, framerate and detail of the GBA games many years later, sometimes it may be a lack of budget, system power, experience or other factors at play. that makes the new entries less enjoyable to me.

But i don't really feel that way about Metroid Dread , there is nothing cheap about the presentation. And its not trying to look like SUPER Metroid either. Dread has its own look. It looks really high quality and polished. Maybe we conditioned to look at these types of games and say
'its cheap'!!! but this one looks fantastic in every way tbh. even better than the old Metroids in some ways.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Still something about this thing makes it look/feel like a shitty phone app, it might be the generic UI or the repetitive background scrolling in a few scenes.

Nintendo doesn't usually do this style of trickle hype for games, this is a shitty weird new thing for them.
Nope Yoshio Sakamoto is only a producer this time.

It's directed by the Samus Returns 3DS guy... there were so many awful aspects of that game that are outside of what fits into Metroid, too many annoying "run from this boss" sequences too many annoying bosses with bad mechanics, and other dumb things like the counter move that had shitty timing, things that are truly dreadful.
Not a ton of hope here, from the way this looks, it's an upscaled 3DS game.

It's not the fault of the dev, look at their previous works. They also made that awful Castlevania remake that tanked big time.

People are thirsty for a new Metroid game despite the oversaturation of the genre in the indies. Some games have done "Metroid" better than Metroid, Nintendo doesn't realize that I guess, they're still used to being the big dogs that just "show up" and get praise for arriving at the party, even if they brought Corona's and have awful BO.
Lol fuck you fool this game is going to receive GOTY nominations all over the place

Your posts = truly dreadful

You comparing Metroid Dread to a 3DS game is laughable. Clown posts like yours, just lol 😂

Fbh

Still looks like a $20 indie game.
But the trailer was indeed much better than the previous one with the generic robots. Might even pick it up if impressions around here are good.

Switch OLED ;) ?

LOL I did the same thing at first but then I was like fuck it. Somehow I didn't find it too spoilery. I like how this doesn't truly explain everything still. We still get to go into the game and find out just what the hell is going on.

I had a dream concept for Metroid V where (at least the start of it) Samus had to infiltrate a GF base to recover some Chozo tech like a replacement suit or a cure for some disease the Metroid/Power Suit bionic hybridization from Fusion caused, and the game would have stealth elements. I'm still giddy that the infamous Metroid Dread (hilarious that they are using that name) actually seems to have a part of that.

MacReady13

I am a MASSIVE fan of Metroid, especially the 2D games (although I do love the Prime games) and the more we see of this game I am getting even more excited! Funny how a 2D platformer like this is more exciting for me than anything else coming out this year on infinitely more powerful hardware!

Buggy Loop

I am a MASSIVE fan of Metroid, especially the 2D games (although I do love the Prime games) and the more we see of this game I am getting even more excited! Funny how a 2D platformer like this is more exciting for me than anything else coming out this year on infinitely more powerful hardware!

In all honesty, i'm more excited for Metroid Dread & SMT5 on Switch this year than anything i could play on PC with my new 3080 TI, i can barely bring myself to finish Horizon Zero Dawn & Death Stranding PC even if they left very good impressions in presentation and graphics.

Some things never changes, if the game's foundation of gameplay mechanics are good, graphics comes second.

MacReady13

In all honesty, i'm more excited for Metroid Dread & SMT5 on Switch this year than anything i could play on PC with my new 3080 TI, i can barely bring myself to finish Horizon Zero Dawn & Death Stranding PC even if they left very good impressions in presentation and graphics.

Some things never changes, if the game's foundation of gameplay mechanics are good, graphics comes second.
100% this! Graphics are nice and all but if the gameplay is a mess then who cares how many polygons a game pushes, or how Hollywood like the story is? It is a game controlled by a controller (or keyboard and mouse)! That should be the number 1 focus!

CGiRanger

Banned

Thank you. I feel the same. Sometimes I feel all alone as far as not really caring about "The latest in 4K Graphics" or uber realism. I just want a well rounded and fun game to play. Yet it seems so many people these days only care about the shiny graphics.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yeah nothing like playing a good Metroid, and its not like it looks bad either ;^)

Prettiest looking 2D Metroid, tbh a lot of modern AAA game design bores me😪, recently RE VILLAGE and Elden Ring are the only interesting games this year, and RE8 combat /shooting is made to be less scary and feels pretty weak.
Who knows about EldenRing but im hyped 😁nothing else on the Horizon looks fun.

Sometimes i feel like gamers hype graphics way too much to their own detriment, they are a good sign of polish/quality but its not all, just a piece of the puzzle. 🧩
Weirder still when a quality looking game on one system is constantly compared to another game on a much more powerful console/pc to shit on it, quickly becomes toxic.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Yeah nothing like playing a good Metroid, and its not like it looks bad either ;^)

Prettiest looking 2D Metroid, tbh a lot of modern AAA game design bores me😪, recently RE VILLAGE and Elden Ring are the only interesting games this year, and RE8 combat and shooting is made to be less scary and feels pretty weak.
Who knows about EldenRing but im hyped 😁nothing else on the Horizon looks fun.

Sometimes i feel like gamers hype graphics way too much to their own detriment, they are a good sign of polish/quality but its not all, just a piece of the puzzle. 🧩
Weirder still when a quality looking game on one system is constantly compared to another game on a much more powerful console/pc to shit on it, quickly becomes toxic.
We seem to have gotten too nitpicky on graphics and less focused on gameplay. I mean seriously, do we really care a fuck that at the exact moment a series x game drop to 59 fps the PS5 version stays at 60? Or that in the backround the detail on that leaf in the series x game is slightly higher quality that the exact same leaf on the PS5 version? Who gives a fuck?! I want to play games to enjoy them! They have to control well, and this is why Nintendo do it better than anyone (even though I realize Nintendo aren't making this game)!

Porcile

Looks like an indie game made for the N64 but released on a cell phone. Also, Mercury Steam are just Eurotrash and one of the worst developers in the world. Also, Nintendo are just greedy and not spending any of their Switch money on this. What I else I wonder....

This looks great but I was already planning to get it when it releases. I'm just glad we're finally getting a sequel to Metroid Fusion. From watching the trailer, the story looks even more intriguing showing the Chozo in cutscenes and gameplay, and the preview we got of Kraid looks just as cool and exciting to play as the Corpious boss battle from the Treehouse Direct video. I like seeing the different enemies and environments too.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

IIRC Kraid was at one point going to be in one of the Metroid Prime games, but was cut due to not being able to fit him in.
After cutting him on Prime1 im dissapointed they never fitted Kraid on Prime 3! That was the perfect opportunity of Kraid as the big boss in their homeworld, but nope its Ridley again.

Prime did lots of cool stuff with the pirates, but they new need big bad leaders as well not just the vague high command. Maybe on Prime 4

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Mini breakdown on this trailer. I'll spoiler for you I guess.

We see Chozo Warlord (Darth Chozord) in the flesh and are referred to the Hieroglyphics we saw in a previous trailer. Dons armor colors similar to the Phazon suit from Metroid Prime. May possibly be a robot with the glowing red eyes.

Using Aeion energy we can now Megaman X Dash at will. Which can be utilized in melee strikes and to get behind enemies as well as dramatically speed up mobility.

Darth Chozord attacks Samus and is utilizing a power new beam type that is blood red.

Transition to a scene with Kraid in restraints who returns as a boss.

Later gameplay showcases a double jump, Ice missiles, Morph ball bombs.

Darth Chozord and Samus again except Chozord is absorbing the power beam shots and attacks with his hand but is countered, but the energy moves to the cannon instead.

Grapple Beam. Seeker Missiles (From prime series!?).

Darth Chozord is hit with a missile. Darth Chozord mad and God Rugal's Samus immediately into a choke hold.

A scene of a Chozo Armor comes to life and attacks Samus. Uses a spear weapon.

Speed Booster/Shinespark. Screw Attack. Gravity Suit.

Darth Chozord is charging up an attack. Paying attention to Samus notice in these clips that her eyes are Red.

Kraid is starting to break restraints. Locks of detail on the holes in his body where he will grow/eject his stomach spikes.

Melee counter on an enemy shows some kind of lab where creatures are being cultivated. Possibly Metroid variants?

Back to the Chozo construct we see a swirling black goop like mass that's infected it and may be a form of the X parasite or something else entirely.

Darth Chozord gets ready to blast Samus and Samus tries to reach out to something before seemingly losing consciousness before something occurs which thrusts her eyes open, her eyes are no longer Red but back to her natural blue/green color. Either she was blasted or her power suit had a reaction.

Fade to black.

CGiRanger

Banned
After cutting him on Prime1 im dissapointed they never fitted Kraid on Prime 3! That was the perfect opportunity of Kraid as the big boss in their homeworld, but nope its Ridley again.

Prime did lots of cool stuff with the pirates, but they new need big bad leaders as well not just the vague high command. Maybe on Prime 4
I think why I liked Prime 2 so much is that they put the Pirates in the background and went with more Alien environments and races. I think it's more of a struggle to try and make new Space Pirates in the overall lore than it is to just create totally new things maybe for Nintendo.

Bodomism

Banned
Not a ton of hope here, from the way this looks, it's an upscaled 3DS game.

It's not the fault of the dev, look at their previous works. They also made that awful Castlevania remake that tanked big time.

People are thirsty for a new Metroid game despite the oversaturation of the genre in the indies. Some games have done "Metroid" better than Metroid, Nintendo doesn't realize that I guess, they're still used to being the big dogs that just "show up" and get praise for arriving at the party, even if they brought Corona's and have awful BO.
jqmfdjmfkva71.png

jvKAUsB.jpg

metroidinfilitrating-1504623871699.png

GU06lmD.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

IUZAZXh.jpg

screen-shot-2017-09-08-at-15029-pm-1505152223732.png

8eELv1D.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I think A LOT of this comes from the fact that it's running on hardware that's statistically just not up to the level of Sony and Microsoft. I'm not flaming or console warring at all, either. I love me some Nintendo, and I'm hyped as fuck about a return to the main saga of Metroid. I just think a lot of people see the hype for this game, and look at it from the lens of not really being super into Metroid, and surrounded by games that "look better," when Nintendo has always, sometimes to a fault, been gameplay and innovation first. Another factor could be the sort of...weird adjustment your brain has to do seeing relatively modern graphical techniques used on a very retro style of gameplay. The fusion of those two elements kind of throws me off, but I have nothing but faith in Nintendo. Sure, some of it echoes the Metroid 2 remake, but like...duh. I'm in.

Last edited:

Aldric

Mechanically this looks legitimately fantastic, the mobility options seem to potentially be the best we've seen in the genre: forward moving counters, slides, air dashes, screw attack, speedbooster that doesn't lose momentum when walljumping, shinespark, more versatile grapple beam, ice missiles to create platforms out of enemies, morphball bomb jumps/propulsion and from the description on Nintendo's Youtube channel it seems this trailer only shows "a few" of Samus new abilities so there's likely more. The speedruns are going to be insane. Environments and enemy variety also look like a significant stepup compared to Samus Returns and given all the items and abilities to find (some energy tanks now follow the heart pieces Zelda formula) the game is probably going to be pretty large.

It's good to be back Metroidbros.

Pejo

Visually it looks acceptable for a Switch game. Mechanically it looks to have enough new stuff to keep me preoccupied. I just hope the level design is good.

This reminds me a lot of Bloodstained. Not really visually a marvel, but the level design, gameplay, and options of weapons/collectables had me invested for a long time. I'm ready for a new 2D Metroid proper, so here's hoping it's good.

jdforge

Banned
Cannot wait for this. I love the aesthetic and the music so far is bang on. There’s something very Metroid Prime about it. I think I’m going to get the new OLED Switch too, if I can find one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thank you for taking time to properly debunk the utter insanity of that hyperbolic trolly hot take
Yeah, in GAF they can be so fucking hyperbolic! They either doing it on purpose or they completely forgot how 3DS, PS2 and even PS3 looked liked.

Even now people in this forum saying Elden Ring looks like a PS3 game.

Being graphic whore is one thing but at this point it’s becoming very obnoxious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
What is going on with this game?? What the hell is Shiggy thinking?? This is the end of Nintendo. It’s over. Time for Yamauchi to give it up and let’s Sony take over. Kaz knows his shit, he can save Nintendo!!

kunonabi

Not happy about Kraid being back since that kind of shit helped ruin Samus Returns. Hopefully that stuff is kept to minimum and done more tastefully. Rest of the trailer looks great though.

daclynk

Don't forget Shinespark

Also the concept art shows more Chozo warriors. So cool that Samus will fight enemies with Samus' equivalent armor. Should be very tense.

mv.jpg
its beautiful teh lurd of teh rings GIF

I Cant believe Nintendo is PROMOTING METROID. What to be alive in this world. Now Samus can finally join Link and Mario as the TRINITY of NINTENDO. The Most Badass First FEMALE protagonist in Video game.

Last edited:
Visually it looks acceptable for a Switch game. Mechanically it looks to have enough new stuff to keep me preoccupied. I just hope the level design is good.

This reminds me a lot of Bloodstained. Not really visually a marvel, but the level design, gameplay, and options of weapons/collectables had me invested for a long time. I'm ready for a new 2D Metroid proper, so here's hoping it's good.
At the very least it's targeting 60fps unlike the ROTN Switch port. However some gameplay segments in the trailer seem to exhibit framerate dips which I can deal with but am not thrilled about.

Top Bottom