• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ant-Man's front-runners are Joseph Gordon Levitt & Paul Rudd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xion385

Controls ants.

What do you expect him to do? Have the power cosmic and control the universe? Not everyone has to be super powerful.

Since you put it that way.....

2087579-hankfeat.jpg

Did not see either of these names coming

Still pulling for Ewan Mcgregor but out of the two listed I think Rudd would suit it more

Showaddy

I think I'll wait until Marvel officially announce it, JGL was 'rumoured' to be the front-runner to be Starlord with about a dozen other actors in the running. Chris Pratt got it in the end and the media didn't even mention him once.

Kanyon

Both really good choices and each have their pros and cons... I could probably lean towards Paul Rudd as I think he could pull of the snarky side of Pym a little better, in my opinion.

I'd be happy with either, both could do a good job.

Marc

Patrick Wilson! Yes! My choice is a little too old though and that's Aaron Eckhart. JGL would do fine fitting the good-looking, egotistical, scientist though. Rudd could be Scott Lang, but I'm not sure why Lang would be older than Pym.

Depends, I actually thought of him too but again Batman got dibs in my mind. :) In a direct DC v Marvel superhero way, unlike Patrick being in Watchmen.

Ah, I didn't realise Lang was in it?

No actor is fit for a scientist role and this is a comic book movie. Patrick Wilson, man what a dull choice.

Natalie Portman played a scientist, and she has published scientific journals. Kate Beckinsale went to oxford. Dolph Lundgren has a masters in chemical engineering. So thats rubbish really, and they are actors, some can play that ethereal intelligent type and some can't. Ironically Dolph can't.

Pym is dull; he is a scientist, idealistic, depressive, pacifist-type and really... a bit of a d*ck. At least from what I remember of him, which admittedly I haven't read much of him.

HoJu

I don't know who or what an ant-man is, but i'm pretty sure that they shouldn't go with Paul Rudd. and I like Paul Rudd.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Pym is dull; he is a scientist, idealistic, depressive, pacifist-type and really... a bit of a d*ck. At least from what I remember of him, which admittedly I haven't read much of him.

a bit crazy sure, but a dick? not really. the most dickish hes been was during mighty avengers

Sblargh

Banned
The cool thing about Hank Pym is that over his 75 years as a character, his personality has really gone all over the place to the point that the inconsistency is now part of the character.

He's unbalaced, really, you never sure how his going to act. (tho he tends to be more of a depressive than a maniac, but even that isn't set in stone)

trinest

As a non comic reader, this is what GAF has essentially taught me about Ant-man.

So Ant-Man is a Iron Man style persona who somehow gets trapped inside an Ant which can use his powers like a fly on the wall to James Bond spy on women?

Ok.

Raptor

Paul Rudd please.

Dude is very cool.

I could see that dude of Tokio Drift making a good performance aswell, he should be cast more often.

Sblargh

Banned
So Ant-Man is a Iron Man style persona who somehow gets trapped inside an Ant which can use his powers like a fly on the wall to James Bond spy on women?

Ok.

Nothing like Iron Man.
They're both smart, but that's it.
Hank is insecure, the kind of person that gets very guilty about his mistakes, but can't bring himself from making more of them. He's not witty or particularly charismatic (are you getting the picture of why he almost never had his own comic?). He's a good avenger, because he is the kind of person that follows and not everyone can be a leader, he also has very good intentions, even if his personality goes to the self-destructive sometimes.

That's why this choice of actors made me question if they confirmed if that's really him. Because it looks more like this other ant-man (the current one) who was a thief and a single parent that stole the equipment and used it to rob stuff for a while, eventually becoming a hero. Scott Lang is more easygoing and down to earth, he's neither soldier or god, he's really just a guy who learned how to use this tech and is creative enough to use it efficiently.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well... Ultron was a bit of a dick move, plus the whole stella artois scene he is essentially famous for now.

ultron wasnt intentional so not a dick move, and the slap was the act of a lot of factors. and even so, wasnt written as a slap, but drawn as one, so no, not a dick there either

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Both wildly different choices with the only thing in common being that they are equally out of left field. I'd be happy with either, but if it's Rudd then it's kind of mandatory that we get an Ant-Man/Starlord buddy comedy at some point.

Wubby

To be honest as a non-comic reader (I only cared about Iron Man and Star Wars comics growing up) this character seems a rather lame choice to get a feature movie. Spider Man, Iron Man, x-men, FF, the avengers I can understand. I thought Silver Surfer was already stretching it. But ant man? I hope JGL passes, he could do better than some third string character.

v1lla21

Man, Simon Pegg would fit the role. If it's between these two, then I go wit Rudd. I love JGL, but I can't see him being Ant-Man.

Rudd/Wright is an exciting option, simply because that sounds like a comedic dream pairing. Levitt also has the proper chops, but doesn't have as much as a personality. It seems like a safer choice, which I don't want them taking with this film. It's already fucking Ant-Man, you might as well go all the way with it.

Pym can't really carry his own superhero movie; he alternates between being too boring and absolutely fucking insane, and not in a particularly entertaining manner.

They're probably gonna go with Lang. He can carry his own picture, and having a criminal be a part of the avengers is a good dynamic.

Nothing like Iron Man.
They're both smart, but that's it.
Hank is insecure, the kind of person that gets very guilty about his mistakes, but can't bring himself from making more of them. He's not witty or particularly charismatic (are you getting the picture of why he almost never had his own comic?). He's a good avenger, because he is the kind of person that follows and not everyone can be a leader, he also has very good intentions, even if his personality goes to the self-destructive sometimes.

That's why this choice of actors made me question if they confirmed if that's really him. Because it looks more like this other ant-man (the current one) who was a thief and a single parent that stole the equipment and used it to rob stuff for a while, eventually becoming a hero. Scott Lang is more easygoing and down to earth, he's neither soldier or god, he's really just a guy who learned how to use this tech and is creative enough to use it efficiently.

Seems like using Scott Lang as the protagonist would make for the more fun and commercially viable flick compared to using Pym.

I'd rather see Lang as Wright's Ant-Man anyway. Seems like it'd be a better dynamic.

JdFoX187

Banned
Seems like using Scott Lang as the protagonist would make for the more fun and commercially viable flick compared to using Pym.

I'd rather see Lang as Wright's Ant-Man anyway. Seems like it'd be a better dynamic.

They might be going for Lang so that they don't have three smart scientists. There was excellent chemistry between Stark and Banner in The Avengers. Throwing in a third guy could muddy the waters a bit. Or they could do Pym with a splash of Lang's personality. They haven't shied away from changing characters to suit the MCU.

Xion385

More depth if Hank is Ant-Man though. They can have him as Ant-Man the first movie, create the Pym particles , screw up, potentially create Vision (if he isn't already created in Age of Ultron), and then become one of his other alter egos (Giant Man, Yellowjacket, Goliath, or Scientist Supreme). I mean, who doesn't want to see Hank call Reed Richards a bitch? (It won't happen anytime soon though.) Then pass the torch to Scott Lang.

3625823158_ac74f66a97.jpg

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Rudd seems like a great choice, even if he seems maybe a little old to start his superhero career. I'd want Gordon-Levitt to stick with DC in the event that he's cast as Batman in Superman vs. Batman.

Any casting news on that, by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom