• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not FUN, especially when played solo?

skit_data

GnZQPSg.jpg

How is finding this dagger not fun? HOW?

On a more serious note I can see how some don't gel with the mechanics and gameplay but to me it manages to excel in most aspects. Humour being one of them.

Flabagast

Can anyone tell me what the font is like on Xbox?

Lots of games release with tiny font that I strain to read on my tv from my couch.
On PS5 it's perfectly fine, so I guess it's the same on Xbox.

Game is also well playable on controller imho. There is kind of a learning curve, but even if you have never played a CRPG before, pass the 10 hours mark (still quite a lot) you get pretty used to it and realise that it is really not as complicated and with endless possibilites as it first seems.

On normal mode (the middle one) it's also not too difficult and does not require you to master all the subtleties of the different systems

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Few things more infuriating than getting a "miss" on a clear hit (the animation hit clearly hit the target). Dice rolls... -_-'111111111

i9fjlye6hgs81.jpg
Yeah. I know it's DnD but I just don't agree with this kind of design philosophy and feel it's outdated. Unless it's a disadvantaged arrow or spell attack I prefer chances of missing to be extremely low or nil. It just feels like padding and makes battles take longer than they need to. I had no shame starting out on explorer difficult purely because of that.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah. I know it's DnD but I just don't agree with this kind of design philosophy and feel it's outdated. Unless it's a disadvantaged arrow or spell attack I prefer chances of missing to be extremely low or nil. It just feels like padding and makes battles take longer than they need to. I had no shame starting out on explorer difficult purely because of that.
Exactly. Game already has damage ranging from "1 to whatever", so what is the point of "miss" other than making the combat even slower/more annoying that already is?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I prefer chances of missing to be extremely low or nil. It just feels like padding and makes battles take longer than they need to.
Exactly. Game already has damage ranging from "1 to whatever", so what is the point of "miss" other than making the combat even slower/more annoying that already is?
The chance of a "Miss" is strongly tied to armor class. Basically the better the armor of the character, the higher the chance the attack will miss.

Its meant to simulate actual armor where a slash into a chest protection will deal no damage to the wearer whatsoever and just dent/scratch the armor itself. Players are just too used with the ballistic-armor logic other games employ where the armor is basically an aditional layer of health bar.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

A bandaid doesn't work great on a decapitated body.

Death + failure is a minor annoyance in BG3.

That eliminates all of the emotional potential a game can have. No risk means no reward.
Honour mode includes permadeath.

I guarantee losing the entire game isn't just a "minor annoyance". Better pick your fights wisely.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Honour mode includes permadeath.

I guarantee losing the entire game isn't just a "minor annoyance". Better pick your fights wisely.

The game is built around the regular mode. Larian knows the vast majority of its players are going to save scum so that's where they put their design resources. A tacked on, low effort permadeath mode won't cut it.

If their next game is built around permadeath, they'll have my attention.

Guilty_AI

The game is built around the regular mode. Larian knows the vast majority of its players are going to save scum so that's where they put their design resources. A tacked on, low effort permadeath mode won't cut it.

If their next game is built around permadeath, they'll have my attention.
They use D&D rules which is literally built around failure and living with consequences. You can see that in the game too.

If you realize a fight is too much for you for example, you can try to escape instead. Or worse, sacrifice companions in order to do that 🤷‍♂️. There are also many failure states that actually lead down different paths, which means they certainly thought properly about what happens if players fail something.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They use D&D rules which is literally built around failure and living with consequences. You can see that in the game too.

If you realize a fight is too much for you for example, you can try to escape instead. Or worse, sacrifice companions in order to do that 🤷‍♂️. There are also many failure states that actually lead down different paths, which means they certainly thought properly about what happens if players fail something.

If D&D is built around consequences and Larian built Baldurs Gate 3 around save scumming...then they built it with an obvious conflict of interest in mind.

I do not endorse half measures.

Guilty_AI

If D&D is built around consequences and Larian built Baldurs Gate 3 around save scumming...then they built it with an obvious conflict of interest in mind.

I do not endorse half measures.
Thats the thing, they did not built the game around save scumming 🤷‍♂️ . In my playthrough i can count in one hand how many times i died, and they were all avoidable. And i never save scummed in order to get the "perfect" results i wanted. Game still went on regardless, even if i had to live with the fact somebody i tried to save died, or that i had to spend precious resources.

I don't even know where you're getting this idea from. The only people save scumming are the ones who cannot handle getting a poor roll in a skill/dialogue check, or yeehaw all their fights without ever thinking things through like an absolute moron.

Last edited:

geary

You dont build a game around save scumming... This is a way of play you choose, otherwise every game with and F5-F8 keybind is build around save scumming.

Reactions: Isa

soulbait

A bandaid doesn't work great on a decapitated body.

Death + failure is a minor annoyance in BG3.

That eliminates all of the emotional potential a game can have. No risk means no reward.

Isn't that true in all games though? In what recent, popular game do you have a limited number of live? Almost every game I have played since the 2000s you have unlimited continues and can continue the game from where you last saved/last saved point. At most you are taken back to the start of a level.

Save scumming is a choice. You do not need to play that way. You can just roll with a single save and live with your decisions. Some people like that, some don't. Most modern games give you the choice in that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How did Larian build the game around save scumming? The option is there, as with pretty much every game with manual saves, but it's not like you're forced to use it.

Developers build their games around the mode the majority of their players will play.

They built save scumming and reloading into the core experience because they know that's what the majority of their players will do.

Not being forced to use something isn't the topic here. It's where Larian spent their design resources.

iorek21

BG3 takes a while to get used to, specially combat since it’s not as accessible as other RPGs (even JRPGs).

If I were to point a flaw in it, it would be the first hours and the tutorials, which are lacking in some aspects. For example, I only began to push enemies and disengage after 30h or so because there was little to no introduction to this stuff.

The game does pick up after the initial shock and turns into one of the best of all time.

I think Persona 5 and BG3 are both in the extremes of accessibility: whilst one tutorializes EVERYTHING, the other doesn’t.

nowhat

They built save scumming and reloading into the core experience because they know that's what the majority of their players will do.
Yeah, which is why Swen Vincke has been saying in pretty much every interview "trust the dice". FWIW I've played the game through twice and have save scummed like twice. And those were my weak moments. You're strawmanning pretty hard here.

On PS5 it's perfectly fine, so I guess it's the same on Xbox.

Game is also well playable on controller imho. There is kind of a learning curve, but even if you have never played a CRPG before, pass the 10 hours mark (still quite a lot) you get pretty used to it and realise that it is really not as complicated and with endless possibilites as it first seems.

On normal mode (the middle one) it's also not too difficult and does not require you to master all the subtleties of the different systems

Thanks friend I will definitely buy this

RobRSG

Personally, I think the game is an insufferable bore fest.

Regardless of what I think, I understand why people like it.

Larian taking the monies. It’s a sign of quality and marketing that no-crpg and tabletop gamers are even trying this out. I dropped nba2k madden fifa pretty quick too.

I agree. The game is really well made. The graphics, story, character design, etc. are all top tier. But the actual gameplay is not fun for me at all. Point and click is not fun, makes movement clunky. Combat being turn based is fine, but it progresses so slowly. Ranged weapons feel so much more powerful than melee. I made a Paladin and had to spend multiple turns just moving close enough to enemies just to miss my attacks on them. All of it is tedious and boring to me. I restarted my campaign with mods and it made it way better. Just skip the combat and enjoy the story and characters, that's where the game shines imo.

No! Have you played other crpgs, Ad&d or turn based strategy games... And I don't mean diablo or baldurs gate dark alliance games (console diablo clones).

Baldurs gate 3 is special due to it being a real crpg, choice, strategy, turn based combat, party banter and tons of options /replayability. Are all key to what makes a good crpg (computer role playing game). This is a nod to the past. The type of games we would consistently get on pc until mass effect 2 and ea consolized the genre for casuals and non crpg gamers. (those games were still good, but not crpgs with choice and strategy).

Even going back to Ad&d pools of radiance from 1988 you had player choice and construction. In fact you built your entire party and made their look with interchangeable pixel heads, and body peices. Choice was always a thing. This was also in other crpgs, Ultima, might and magic then the 90s infinity engine boom of Baldurs gate 1 and 2, torment, ice wind dale, kotor, never winter nights 1 & 2.temple of elemental evil, etc... Also games like kotor, vampire the masquerade, arcanum, fallout and fallout tactics.. All had similar elements. This isn't new its just new for console space outside a rare few games. It

Baldurs gate 3 is a return to form. If there is anything wrong with it, it's not the game system, it's that there is too much focus on sex and sexuality which seems to be brought up a lot. I haven't beaten the game yet but seen a friend's game where he was in a brother and forcing sex left and right. This was something that could be done but usually left to the imagination. Less emphasis could of been placed on that. Although I am glad shadow heart and laziel didn't get hit with the ugly stick or made to look like men.

All in all bg3 is awesome. And really fun. My only complaints are low number of areas to explore and too much sexual flirting all the time.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Cutscenes and dialog in almost all games are torturous for me to sit through. I can't understand why anyone would want to play a game focused on them.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the Witcher that series fell off hard

where? I enjoyed 99% of retro games

I don't enjoy 99% of modern games

I haven't changed AT ALL. No one can gaslight me on this I'm not crazy

the games did they aren't made like the arcade games of old

the exist to pump money from you, push agendas and are all about 'narrative' but the writing sucks most of the time

the gameplay is uninspired crap....some games are easy some are hard almost none of it is fun or interesting

I feel like someone has to be either really young or just an addict to enjoy modern gaming

They are everywhere we just had a huge award show highlighting a lot of them. Like I said it's just not games you enjoy but they are still fun games. My cousin is a gamer. He games like almost all day long. He hasn't touched a single player game since the Nintendo 64. Since the day me and him got dial up internet and started playing subspace he has only played MP games. So about 20+ years now of just MP games only. Does that mean there are no good SP games? No he just doesn't enjoy them at all and would much rather play games online against other people or with other people. If you asked him though he would tell you all SP games are garbage and not worth it.

You are just like my cousin. Except you are into retro games only. Modern games don't interest you and that's fine. I have a wide range of genres and games I enjoy so I can almost always find something I like regardless of the genre. Even those games that exist to simply pump money out of you (Genshin Impact) I really enjoyed without giving them a single dime.

it’s a big shame you get called an idiot for saying you think it’s not fun.
The usual „you don’t get it so you must be stupid” it’s just moronic.
I’ve realised recently that if you don’t agree with popular bandwagon, life on the internet is very difficult.
Mind you I’ve not played the game but I don’t think it’s my type of a game.

That’s why these populists like asmongold have so many viewers. They just say what crowds want to hear.
How is life on the internet difficult? Just ignore, move one, turn off. I disagree with so many people, especially in group think places like reddit or twitter/X. I take solace that I am not apart of the heard and am my own person. Nothing difficult about it. Just ignore down votes, wear them as a badge of honor and know you are true to yourself. That being said, what the fuck man.... you better love Baldur's gate like the rest of us or else.... :messenger_winking_tongue:

At least this isn't neogaf circa 2014-2018. It was so shitty, you would get banned for any thoughts outside the norm/bubble. Those people left, those mods got canned and they fled to that Reeee site, to continue the asylum. The sane people stayed here and others who were banned for wrong think came back here. If it was back then, yeah I'd probably share some of the sentiment.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Lotta people would probably say that classic, isometric RPGs are boring AF because there's like a whole novel's worth of dialogue that you have to read by yourself but for others (including myself) that stuff is far more riveting than some uncanny valley characters exchanging fewer lines of fully voiced dialogue.

To each their own.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I put in about seven hours and finished the prologue and got to the beach and yeah, character models and writing aside, it just isnt for me. Im glad I gave it a shot though and I understand the praise. I guess im just a straight weirdo when it comes to RPGs and CRPGs specifically. Like, I fuckin LOVED Disco Elysium (thats a CRPG right?) and that was on my GOTY list in 2019.

Reave

I love the game so far, but… a lot of the praise was pretty overblown in my opinion.

It’s essentially a Western RPG with branching paths and a dice-rolling mechanic, except larger and with more permutations at our disposal.

Flabagast

I put in about seven hours and finished the prologue and got to the beach and yeah, character models and writing aside, it just isnt for me. Im glad I gave it a shot though and I understand the praise. I guess im just a straight weirdo when it comes to RPGs and CRPGs specifically. Like, I fuckin LOVED Disco Elysium (thats a CRPG right?) and that was on my GOTY list in 2019.
Yes but Disco Elysium is far far better written than nearly all other CRPG (including Baldurs Gate 3) and also and very importantly with a very original setting, far away from boring heroic fantasy 101

DavidGzz

You have to be in a certain mood for these types of games. I've barely made any progress. I used to love these games more. From FF tactics to the original Baldur's Gate on PC. I also love D&D. But nowadays I'd rather play real time games.

nowhat

Yes but Disco Elysium is far far better written than nearly all other CRPG (including Baldurs Gate 3) and also and very importantly with a very original setting, far away from boring heroic fantasy 101
I think you're downplaying BG3, it's really terrific. Especially how the player can affect the events in the story - I'd say within any given playthrough between two people, there will be scenes that will have played out completely differently. I'm about to finish my second character, and looking forward to the "Dark Urge" origin story, because why the fuck not, let's go all in on the evil.

Having said that, the writing in Disco Elysium is seriously top tier. It's among the few games where I've not only "lol'd", but physically laughed out loud at some of the events. I completely lost it at Contact Mike. It was such a stupid, random, joke. And it delivered. Kudos.

You have to be in a certain mood for these types of games. I've barely made any progress. I used to love these games more. From FF tactics to the original Baldur's Gate on PC. I also love D&D. But nowadays I'd rather play real time games.
for me, it's a combination of mood & fatigue. like yourself, i've played & really enjoyed tactical games (ff, disgaea, etc) & old school crpg. nowadays, i just don't seem to be able to maintain the focus/interest beyond 2 or 3 dozen hours. i have fun up till then, but, once the novelty wears off, & it starts feeling more like work? i'll just quit & never look back. but i do still, for those 2/3 dozen hours, really enjoy myself. go figure...

Crayon

Amazing game but I'll tell you what's not fun about it.... not being able to look up. That shit is killing me. If I wasn't 50 hours deep I'd re buy on pc just for the chance of modding that.

Humdinger

I'm tempted to get the game based on all the great reviews, but I suspect I'll get tired of the combat. I've never been much a fan of the turn-based stuff.

Also, the game seems a bit too complicated for me. I don't think I want to devote that many brain cells to a single game.

Tarkus

I want to try the game. I’ve never played D&D or one of these games before though. Just wish I could demo it on console before buying.

Laieon

I restarted my campaign with mods and it made it way better. Just skip the combat and enjoy the story and characters, that's where the game shines imo.

What mods would you recommend? I'm still in Act 1 and I'm finding everything but the combat to be enjoyable, so I wouldn't mind doing this too.

King Dazzar

Amazing game but I'll tell you what's not fun about it.... not being able to look up. That shit is killing me. If I wasn't 50 hours deep I'd re buy on pc just for the chance of modding that.
Yeah its funny how much we've moved on in terms of camera control expectations these days. I never had any issues playing the likes of the original XCOM etc so many years ago. Or even the likes of the more recent Banner Saga stuff. But when I played DOS2 a few years back, I hated the restrictive nature of the camera. Its definitely something to consider imo.

Crayon

Yeah its funny how much we've moved on in terms of camera control expectations these days. I never had any issues playing the likes of the original XCOM etc so many years ago. Or even the likes of the more recent Banner Saga stuff. But when I played DOS2 a few years back, I hated the restrictive nature of the camera. Its definitely something to consider imo.

In most games that are top-down or 3/4, I can deal with the camera restriction because they are made with that in mind. Here, the environments are often bad for that, but would be better if I could just look up. Even a stationary first person look like we used to get back in the day.

Top Bottom