• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not FUN, especially when played solo?

Comandr

I hated BG3 during early access both times I tried it. Then when it finally released to 1.0 … something clicked for me and I absolutely loved it. Did 3 play through back to back and instantly shot up to like 200 hours. Waiting now for the patches to slow down before I do my fourth. Game is ridiculously fun.

Larxia

Save scumming is the best way to ruin a game. Never do this. Accept the outcome.
Not for me, particularly because of the RNG of dices, it's really too unfair and I didn't want for my adventure to be ruined just because of a bad dice roll.
I loved Baldur's Gate 3, almost everything about it, except the dice rolls, so save scumming was the only way for me to get the story I wanted. Pretty sure I would have prefered the game without any dice rolls, even in combats they're incredibly frustrating.

Still an amazing game and probably my favorite RPG, I just don't like RNG lol.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
crpgs

1*k02pSQ4ajRSKRyILGg2DeA.png

Fredrik

The learning curve is steep though
Started yesterday and I’ve never felt dumber in my whole life 😵‍💫 There are so many menus and numbers and icons, my head hurts. Last dnd I played was BG1 so I guess that’s the problem. I’ve forgot how the ruleset works with the resting and spells. Went with a sorcerer and expected to get some easy mode quite fast but 8 hours in it feels like I’m the support character, a lousy one. What am I supposed to do when I’m out of meaningful spells? Start bonking enemies in the head with my staff?
Might start over with a paladin instead or something like that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Pretty much why I struggle with it. There’s just too much I don’t know about D&D and shit, and it doesn’t really give you much of an intro. Some of the systems feel needlessly punishing too, like how some spells can only be used a certain number of times per rest, but then if you rest time progresses in the story and you might miss a chance to do something forever…Still, I’ve enjoyed it and want to keep going soon. Probably start over with a guide. And my PC sure warms up the downstairs when playing

Fredrik

Pretty much why I struggle with it. There’s just too much I don’t know about D&D and shit, and it doesn’t really give you much of an intro. Some of the systems feel needlessly punishing too, like how some spells can only be used a certain number of times per rest, but then if you rest time progresses in the story and you might miss a chance to do something forever…Still, I’ve enjoyed it and want to keep going soon. Probably start over with a guide. And my PC sure warms up the downstairs when playing
Yeah the spell system is messing with my dumb head, 11 hours in now, still feels like I don’t know how to play it. I’m currently a health potion junkie because my sorcerer is constantly out of meaningful attack spells and is down all the time and my cleric is out of healing spells lol

Isendurl

This game is so fricking fun to play that I had to stop playing it, because it was ruining my life (and I only played solo).

At one point I played every 2 days, because I did not have enough time after work, so I worked one day, then played BG3 the whole night, went to work next day and after that I'd catch up on my sleep. I lived like this for 2 weeks before I had to quit the game, because it was becoming unsustainable.

So, no OP, I don't know what the fuck are you talking about. This game is incredible fun and incredibly addictive, so much so that I had to stop myself from playing it.

Varteras

Gold Member
I loved it. I was very intimidated at first, but I had a pretty good grasp on the "basics" well before I was halfway through Act 1. I loved that I kept realizing more and more things I could do. It's definitely not a game that holds your hand and it rewards you for thinking outside the box.

I know that even after 91 hours to beat the final boss, I hadn't even really scratched the surface. I've seen so many videos of conversations I never had. Moments I never saw. Scenes playing out very different from when I did them. Secrets I didn't stumble on.

I'm actually looking forward to going back through next year after they've added and updated a lot more. Also, I can't really imagine playing this game with someone. It's just not the kind of game where I want to have to deal with someone wanting to do something different or rushing me.

And, I'm still torn that I went with Shadowheart over Karlach.

Last edited:
I gotta say the dice rolling is ruining this game. I don't think that mechanic works in video games where there is no DM to craft a narrative around roll successes and failures. You just gotta save scum constantly.

Imo it would be better with a hybrid system where there are specific checks for specific skill levels (like how Obsidian does it) but if you fall under that skill level check you can still roll the dice to see if you can pass anyway.

There was an option during the early access period to turn off dice rolls but they removed it for the full release for some reason.

SHA

I feel that this game has turned into a “gamer’s game” and it’s become a sin just to try to question how fun it actually is.

I played through a big chunk of the game with some friends (halfway through Act 2, couldn’t really come up with times to play together after that) and I can see why this game is special. The variety of dialog choices, ways to approach combat (or not) come to mind.

But the way people talk about this game is like: you’re weird if you are not entertained by this lol. And the reality is, I wouldn’t even attempt to play this game by myself.

The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others.

It’s like when a 4 hour historial biopic wins Best Movie at The Oscars. Perhaps a cinematographic achievement, but boring af.

Anyone else feels this way?
Same here, try to watch long videos from streamers, they're great guys who could change your opinion about games even if it doesn't make any sense for you, thanks to these guys, it was really hard to change your opinion about games back in the day.

kubricks

People like things that you don't. The concept isn't hard to understand is it? lol.
I didn't even want to try the game, I just do not like CRPG.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Just started it last night. I haven't played table top d&d for over 20 years but I enjoy crpgs on console. It was 2nd edition back then but not a ton has changed: ac is scored different, more classes/races now, and feats are now a thing.

Honestly if you don't like strategy games then you won't like this. Sounds like op wouldn't like ogre battle or FF tactics which have way less narrative push.

It's not complicated if you're a fan of these games.

Skifi28

I gotta say the dice rolling is ruining this game. I don't think that mechanic works in video games where there is no DM to craft a narrative around roll successes and failures. You just gotta save scum constantly.
The exact opposite. They've literally designed a scenario for every single encounter around all possible dice outcomes. Sometimes failing will lead to very interesting story developments even if it wasn't your original intention.

BigLee74

We like what we like. Simple as.

I would rather stick pins under my nails than play a turn based RPG with squillions of lines of dialog, but that’s just me.

Paasei

I haven’t played it (yet). The only reason I haven’t is because it is turn based, which I do not like given all the previous games I tried that have such a system. I can deal with it for a while, but later on it gets tedious and boring making it all way too long.

twilo99

Best game released this year, but I've tried playing it with a controller since I like couch gaming / Steam Deck, but its so much less tedious and natural with mouse and keyboard.

I don’t know how people do it with a controller.. it just seems like it will take away a lot from enjoying the game

Regginator

I would love to give it a go, I love cRPGs in general, but the turn-based combat is really turning me off. I thought the combat in D:OS2 could be painfully slow at times. I very much wished they kept the RTwP combat of 1 and 2, basically building on something relatively modern as Pillar of Eternity.

Buggy Loop

I would love to give it a go, I love cRPGs in general, but the turn-based combat is really turning me off. I thought the combat in D:OS2 could be painfully slow at times. I very much wished they kept the RTwP combat of 1 and 2, basically building on something relatively modern as Pillar of Eternity.

BG3 combat is a lot more quick bursts than D:OS2 I find. They don't stretch, unless of course you ramp up difficulty to the highest.

twilo99

People like things that you don't. The concept isn't hard to understand is it? lol.
I didn't even want to try the game, I just do not like CRPG.

It is around here it seems.. for example you are simply not allowed to enjoy Call of Duty and we literally have a thread on what game attracts people with the lowest IQ levels…

The exact opposite. They've literally designed a scenario for every single encounter around all possible dice outcomes. Sometimes failing will lead to very interesting story developments even if it wasn't your original intention.
It's just not enjoyable to have to rely on chance for every goddamn thing.

Dragon Age Origins took the D&D formula and turned it into something enjoyable, considering how DAO was a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter Nights and the way people have been talking about BG3 made me think the game was something else.

Thank god for refunds.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I dropped it for now. I played a lot of the well known CRPGs and finished all the DA games plus DLC. That feels like it was ages ago.

I tried co-op BG3 on PS5. It felt like combat took a long time. My spouse didn’t enjoy waiting during combat and the camera sucks on console. I’m use to this type of game. We dropped it. I haven’t really had the desire to devote the time to it. I’m thinking I’ll try it again after Rebirth.

It’s what I felt about Dragon Age Origins on console. I bought it on PC because it had the similar GUI to classic CRPG’s. The controller layout is so bulky and it’s a lot of toggling wheels. Even though I don’t play a lot on PC anymore. I still prefer the hotkey menu. I’d probably buy it on PC even with the low end GPU of mine. The last CRPG I played on PC was actually the latest Pathfinder game. BG3 has a lot more quality to it and they’ve given more attention to detail than Pathfinder. Idk honestly, I might just stick to playing Rebirth. I own quite a few CRPGs and I never finish them. I’m more of JRPG type person.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The good ones don't show the "miss" or they are not significant. Or at least animate the misses, like Chrono Trigger.
So it’s not the dice roll it’s just the fact the word miss pops up? I can see why that’s stylistically preferable but how it works is effectively the same

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So it’s not the dice roll it’s just the fact the word miss pops up? I can see why that’s stylistically preferable but how it works is effectively the same
Both, really. In combat the miss part and dice rolls for stuff like picklock.

Puscifer

If you aren't having fun, its more than likely you're not experimenting enough.

Alot of the gameplay in and out of combat is extremely flexible, between spells, character traits and the situation at hand.

It honestly so flexible, that if you approach it like standard AAA games, you're missing out.

For example, some of the spells that seem irrelevant are some of the most powerful and game changing when used in different ways.

Also when it comes to interactions, it's quite different than standard game interactions. You can lie, set people up and change your mind in any situation. You can double cross anyone. This is viable tactic and the game will respond to it accordingly.

A small example. I told a faction I would help them, then told the enemy of the faction I told them that. Then told the faction that I told the enemy and the game will respond to it.

Experiment with everything.
Seriously, this game rewards experimentation. My future step-son who's 7 wanted to help me create a character and I just let him pick what he wanted, I'm guessing "cool is the rule" here because he ended up rolling a character better at necromancy than one I painstakingly made over 30 minutes lol.

Splitting characters up and tackling situations is damn fun, I had a vampire guy take out several enemies in an encounter and set him up at an advantage before bringing in the rest of the party.

It's XCOM-dnd and it's a WONDERFUL combination, at this point I'm convinced if you don't like it you're either just not a fan of the genre (which is fine) or well, you just want a game to tell you everything to do (not fine)

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: XXL

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think not having experience with the genre is what’s prevented me from buying the game. I can’t think of a game I’ve played that looks like it. I know I will play it at some point, just a matter of when, and for how much.

Mozzarella

I dunno i played it solo and it was very fun to me.
When i play with friends its messy and everyone talks it kinda kills the immersion and takes you out of the world and its story, for gameplay though it could be better idk depends on who you play with, its not fun to play with beginners or experts, need that sweet middle spot.

Top Bottom