• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not FUN, especially when played solo?

None of the systems are difficult for me to fully understand, but I'm an avid 5e tabletop player. I immediately went Druid, and I'm breaking this game like I break my DM's hopes and dreams.

It's just not enjoyable to have to rely on chance for every goddamn thing.

Dragon Age Origins took the D&D formula and turned it into something enjoyable, considering how DAO was a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter Nights and the way people have been talking about BG3 made me think the game was something else.

Thank god for refunds.

Casualized it, unfortunately. Or at least set it on that path.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wait, are you telling me that it's actually possible for a particular person to not enjoy a particular game regardless of how good it is..?

Curb Your Enthusiasm Omg GIF

Sentenza

I wish I never stumbled into this stupid thread, because some of the inane bullshit some of you people say can make me irrationally irritated.

"Waah, the learning curve is steep and it's TURN-BASED. Waaah". Give me a fucking break.
You have to be basically a dimwit to struggle to understand the basics of modern D&D.
And turn-based combat (especially of THIS quality) if anything is a massive plus for the game.

Last edited:

Hudo

I wish I never stumbled into this stupid thread, because some of the inane bullshit some of you people say can make me irrationally irritated.

"Waa, the learning curve is steep and it's TURN-BASED. Waaah". Give me a fuckiong break.
I don't understand the hate on turn-based combat. If anything, real-time with pause is the abomination as it had only been chosen by BioWare for BG 1 and 2 because real-time strategy was the popular genre at the time and RPGs were in a serious rut, so their idea was to "get a bit of action in the combat". And unfortunately this travesty of a combat system spread around to other CRPGs as well.

And the main argument that hardcore fans of RTWP always give for it is also really weird. They argue that it allows you to go quickly through trash fights while it allows for more strategic pauses in harder fights. But if your game has "trash fights" you just want to breeze through quickly, your game is not designed/paced well and/or the combat is just not fun enough, then.

Marvel14

Banned
Does anyone remember Dungeon Master on the Amiga and Atari ST? Would love to see a modern remake of that. It's not turn based but it's a pretty deep, first person crpg.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

"Waah, the learning curve is steep and it's TURN-BASED. Waaah". Give me a fucking break.
You have to be basically a dimwit to struggle to understand the basics of modern D&D.
And turn-based combat (especially of THIS quality) if anything is a massive plus for the game.
I understand turn based but its just nort fun its like playing chess with my grandpa always make an excuse to leave after 10 minutes I love you grandpa

keefged4

It's one of the most fun, engaging times I've had with a game in a long time. It's a solid 10/10 for me anyway, I'm not a huge fan of crpgs either.

sncvsrtoip

Bg2 is one of my fav games, but I bought Divinity original sin 2 and was bored by narration and turn based combat so still didnt give a chance of bg3 which looks more like divinity3

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Bg2 is one of my fav games, but I bought Divinity original sin 2 and was bored by narration and turn based combat so still didnt give a chance of bg3 which looks more like divinity3
Unless turn based combat is really a no go to you, you could try BG3 as it improves in every way DOS2. The combat system is amazing with a large extended bestiary, abilities and spells and great use of tactics, terrain and verticality. Graphics, narration, music, voice acting everything is top notch, and the game give you so much choices to navigate the story, avoid or provoke battles, make foes or allies...

Majukun

considering the ungodly amount of time I put into it...no, I don't think so.
Yeah. I know it's DnD but I just don't agree with this kind of design philosophy and feel it's outdated. Unless it's a disadvantaged arrow or spell attack I prefer chances of missing to be extremely low or nil. It just feels like padding and makes battles take longer than they need to. I had no shame starting out on explorer difficult purely because of that.
outdated doesn't mean what you think it means

Last edited:

Reave

What a weirdly exaggerated way to process differing opinions. 😂

lol... right, people wouldn't of lasted in the old days of THAC0 and negative armor class, looking up saving throws in a table, and so much other good stuff. I remember the old gold box games having encumbrance too, what was it 3-4 coin types all having their own weight, the banks having limited funds, and having each character having a their own weight limit before combat rolls get nerfed, movement speed cut, and eventually you are stuck and can't move. Also having to look up in a book room definitions, npc dialog etc... Turn to page 32 look for paragraph 5. Decipher code wheel x52. Modern gamers don't know the half of it. CRPGs are way less complicated now, even compared to bg2.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Divinity Original Sin 2 is better
It really isn't.
Randomized itemization alone is IN ITSELF enough to make both the DOS game markedly inferior to BG3.
And then being built over a far worse ruleset in general doesn't help their case either.
Or, god forbid, the hideos armor system used in DOS 2, which is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen applied to an otherwise good game.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The game’s difficulty is very accessible, and part of it are the many ways in which you can progress.

Obviously a game like Baldur Gate 3 lives and dies based on the player’s creativity and patience. People who aren’t creative and need games to move fast and be very simple are going to have a hard time.

Sentenza

If you find BG3 to be unfun I heavily suggest Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance 2 for Hack and Slash fun.
I think they are trash, but still, you are somewhat right: if someone thinks BG3 is inherently "unfun" then an insipid hack'n slash is probably what they deserve to spend their time on.

Jesb

I don’t think I’d like it. Diablo 4 looks more enjoyable to me. Turn based stuff just doesn’t appeal to me that much.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I finished it solo a few days ago, it's a perfectly serviceable game solo and at no point did I feel like this needed any kind of multi-player or co-op.

What it could have used is faster animations during battles.

digdug2

I put about 10 hours into it, and it just ain't for me. I can absolutely see it being incredible for fans of turn-based RPGs though, because the amount of depth is insane.

WitchHunter

Banned
I feel that this game has turned into a “gamer’s game” and it’s become a sin just to try to question how fun it actually is.

I played through a big chunk of the game with some friends (halfway through Act 2, couldn’t really come up with times to play together after that) and I can see why this game is special. The variety of dialog choices, ways to approach combat (or not) come to mind.

But the way people talk about this game is like: you’re weird if you are not entertained by this lol. And the reality is, I wouldn’t even attempt to play this game by myself.

The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others.

It’s like when a 4 hour historial biopic wins Best Movie at The Oscars. Perhaps a cinematographic achievement, but boring af.

Anyone else feels this way?
People are like pigs. They eat whatever is thrown before them. The responsibility lies in the developer to maintain a standard and do not give in to urges where they continously try to "optimize" the content away for the zombie masses, ignoring the connoisseurs.

knguyen

Games are like food, you love some, dislike others. BG3 imo is like durian, avoided by many, madly loved by others.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I'm enjoying the game but I feel like it was terribly overrated by the games media.
I can see why some like it but yeah I’m surprised all the critics in the world are into these types of games. I’ve dropped it now. Complicated at first but in the end it’s just not my type of game. It’s too slow. The traversal is as fun as Monkey Island. Can’t even jump without doing slow actions with a cursor and icons.

Last edited:

magnumpy

different people have different tastes. some people like blueberries and some other prefer peaches.

I love Baldurs Gate 3 but at the same time I don't expect everyone to think identically. if everyone agreed about everything that would just be bizarre!

nikos

I quit during the first battle. Didn't even bother to finish it. I knew immediately that the game wasn't for me. I'm tempted to give it another shot at some point, but there's no reason to right now.

RayHell

Some are fan of Fast and furious and other prefer a psychological thrillers. You can't expect to enjoy every type of game. It depends on how your brain is stimulated.

Top Bottom