• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not FUN, especially when played solo?

Markio128

I’ll probably get negged for saying this, but my only complaint of the game is the length. It’s too long. By the time I’d reached act 3 I needed a break. I’d much prefer a game half the length that I can replay with different builds.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll get back to it at some point to finish act 3, but I can’t imagine wanting to play through it all again anytime soon.

Save scumming is the best way to ruin a game. Never do this. Accept the outcome.

Normally I would agree with this, but BG3 has a lot of moments where the game mechanics are highly unintuitive. The mansion fire at Waukeen's Rest is an early example. When you break into a room to rescue one of the trapped NPCs, the room quickly starts to be consumed in flame while you try to help him, and it's extremely difficult to get him out in time if you try to do it in real-time mode. The solution is to switch to turn-based mode, but the game up to that point has conditioned the player to expect that turn-based mode will activate automatically when appropriate (e.g. during combat and certain environmental events), and it doesn't provide any warning that the fire event works differently. I also find that the pathfinding for your party members is really finnicky, which sometimes leads to disastrous outcomes. I've lost count of the number of times one of them would pass a perception check on a trap trigger, and then proceed to walk into it anyway.

My rule of thumb about save scumming is that I won't do it to undo bad decisions or low dice rolls, but I will if bad things happen as a result of bugs or flawed game design.

funfactor just isn't something devs take seriously anymore

That's not true. There's plenty of fun in a lot of modern games today. You just don't find them fun and that sucks for you. Kind of like the Witcher 3 I think it's a garbage game with a horrible story that just has you searching for person after person for 20+ hours. While doing random tasks for people you don't know or care about and the good main story takes a back seat. I thought the Witcher 2 was far better in it's story telling. I realize I'm in the minority though and I'm ok with that.

Save scumming is the best way to ruin a game. Never do this. Accept the outcome.

I saved scum through the whole game and I loved every minute of it. I never felt like it was ruined at all for me. They should try to create a mode that makes it impossible though. I think that would be cool even throw in a trophy for completing it that way.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know it's not for me. I don't like turn based games.
And I've heard it's very bloated and badly paced in later act 3.

I love streamlined rpgs like mass effect. I did played and finished icewind dale 2 and so on but it was long time ago.

What's making me avoid bg3 is how HUGE it seems. I don't want to feel like I am on to go to another job.

Last edited:
I have a couple of friends who fell in love with BG3 and recommend it to me unreservedly.

It's not really my type of game - but having watched them stream it multiple times - I think I might be surprised how much I enjoyed it.

That's if I gave it a chance, obviously.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I had a metric ton of fun precisely because I was playing alone and was spared the constant monkeying around that takes me out of regular DnD sessions.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I played it exclusively solo and loved it. Some of my friends play it coop and loved it as well. Turn based combat is awesome there's lot of tactics, choices, interaction and verticality, various ways to apprehend each battle, lots of freedom to navigate and choose how to react, support etc. Each time I'm starting a session time fly by and 5 hours later I still want to continue.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That's not true. There's plenty of fun in a lot of modern games today. You just don't find them fun and that sucks for you. Kind of like the Witcher 3 I think it's a garbage game with a horrible story that just has you searching for person after person for 20+ hours. While doing random tasks for people you don't know or care about and the good main story takes a back seat. I thought the Witcher 2 was far better in it's story telling. I realize I'm in the minority though and I'm ok with that.

I agree with you on the Witcher that series fell off hard

There's plenty of fun in a lot of modern games today.

where? I enjoyed 99% of retro games

I don't enjoy 99% of modern games

I haven't changed AT ALL. No one can gaslight me on this I'm not crazy

the games did they aren't made like the arcade games of old

the exist to pump money from you, push agendas and are all about 'narrative' but the writing sucks most of the time

the gameplay is uninspired crap....some games are easy some are hard almost none of it is fun or interesting

I feel like someone has to be either really young or just an addict to enjoy modern gaming

MarkMe2525

You are alone! This just isn’t your genre it seems and that’s ok. If you have any interest in turn based games this is a masterpiece!
Weird considering the number of people in this thread who agreed with his sentiment. Your statement would have been better and more accurate without the "you are alone! "part

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's just not for you OP. It happens.

I've been having a blast with friends and solo.

Stafford

I wish there was a demo for Xbox, or that they'd hurry up with getting 1 and 2 on GP which they said they would. Then I can find out for myself if this is my shit.

I am not big on turn based battles, but everything else looks and sounds really good. Heard from a few folks who usually dislike turn-based too that they love the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I wish there was a demo for Xbox, or that they'd hurry up with getting 1 and 2 on GP which they said they would. Then I can find out for myself if this is my shit.

I am not big on turn based battles, but everything else looks and sounds really good. Heard from a few folks who usually dislike turn-based too that they love the game.
I just bought 1 and 2 dualpack. On sale for $10 for both games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it’s a big shame you get called an idiot for saying you think it’s not fun.
The usual „you don’t get it so you must be stupid” it’s just moronic.
I’ve realised recently that if you don’t agree with popular bandwagon, life on the internet is very difficult.
Mind you I’ve not played the game but I don’t think it’s my type of a game.

That’s why these populists like asmongold have so many viewers. They just say what crowds want to hear.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ll probably get negged for saying this, but my only complaint of the game is the length. It’s too long. By the time I’d reached act 3 I needed a break. I’d much prefer a game half the length that I can replay with different builds.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll get back to it at some point to finish act 3, but I can’t imagine wanting to play through it all again anytime soon.
It’s a popular complaint. My friends said the same thing about act3

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I feel that this game has turned into a “gamer’s game” and it’s become a sin just to try to question how fun it actually is.

I played through a big chunk of the game with some friends (halfway through Act 2, couldn’t really come up with times to play together after that) and I can see why this game is special. The variety of dialog choices, ways to approach combat (or not) come to mind.

But the way people talk about this game is like: you’re weird if you are not entertained by this lol. And the reality is, I wouldn’t even attempt to play this game by myself.

The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others.

It’s like when a 4 hour historial biopic wins Best Movie at The Oscars. Perhaps a cinematographic achievement, but boring af.

Anyone else feels this way?
Nope can't say I felt this way at all.

I'll do you one better. I don't like playing it in multiplayer. People spoil shit all the time.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
quited crpgs in 2006 menu combat you dont even play real times

source.gif

Neolombax

The only thing holding me back from a purchase is because I found DOS2 very overwhelming. It can be fun, but playing it often feels like a chore.

Raven117

The only thing holding me back from a purchase is because I found DOS2 very overwhelming. It can be fun, but playing it often feels like a chore.
Man, I’m the same way and just said eff it. I figured if this crpg doesn’t do it for me, none will.

I’m using a guide (to build a character) and really making an effort to learn all this.

Well it must be REALLY fun for people who like CRPGs cus I don’t like them at all and even I had some fun with it. Didn’t finish it of course cus this type of game is not for me - but still that’s a testament

bender

What time is it?
it’s a big shame you get called an idiot for saying you think it’s not fun.
The usual „you don’t get it so you must be stupid” it’s just moronic.
I’ve realised recently that if you don’t agree with popular bandwagon, life on the internet is very difficult.
Mind you I’ve not played the game but I don’t think it’s my type of a game.

That’s why these populists like asmongold have so many viewers. They just say what crowds want to hear.

Based on Larian's previous games, there isn't even all that much to get. And I say that as not the smartest robot in the world. I haven't played BG3 yet and CRPGs are, or at least were, one of my favorite genres. Further, Shadows of Amn is on my Mount Rushmore of gaming. I'll try BG3 at some point but I wasn't the biggest fan of the Original Sin games and I've never loved Bioware's relationship systems which always felt hollow and that seems to be a large influence on this title. Lastly, I just don't want that type of time sink right now.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I like the world , the dialogue , the dice mechanic (both dialogue and world environment ) , some of the build and the gears too .

But I dont like the combat , not that I hate turnbase or anything . Its just I dont like the stacking turn/action point and heavily focus on dodge/chance instead of damage reduction .

I had something like my paladin miss like 2/3 attack first turn , the fight became miseriable long for like 20 minute . After reload the save , my paladin just oneshot the boss first turn .
I dont play dnd , but this is bullshit .

Last edited:

TwinB242

Its one of my favorite games of the year but at the same time the combat is just too slow and there's too much of it (especially in act3). I wasn't surprised to see the stat that only around 18% of all players actually finished the game. Its just too much of a time and patience investment for a lot of people (myself included).

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I feel that this game has turned into a “gamer’s game” and it’s become a sin just to try to question how fun it actually is.

I played through a big chunk of the game with some friends (halfway through Act 2, couldn’t really come up with times to play together after that) and I can see why this game is special. The variety of dialog choices, ways to approach combat (or not) come to mind.

But the way people talk about this game is like: you’re weird if you are not entertained by this lol. And the reality is, I wouldn’t even attempt to play this game by myself.

The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others.

It’s like when a 4 hour historial biopic wins Best Movie at The Oscars. Perhaps a cinematographic achievement, but boring af.

It's the group mentality Gustave Le Bon wrote about. Do you know how much money the YT influencers plus the twitch braindeads get for a game review? And the rest of them, who have top percent looks whoring for some screen time, want some views and a few minutes of fame come into this equation and tell everyone in awe what a masterpiece the game is, while faking an orgasm... in reality, it's a mediocre thing. This whole new ecosystem turned out to be the perfect sales machine. The average joe, who buys the game, would have literally zero idea whether the thing is good or bad, since the reality is severely distorted by all these nuthuggers. That's why you have such shitty percentage of game completions. Aand Sony already removed those numbers from the trophies... I'm wondering why : )).

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
These games just feel like interactive books to me...Disco Elesyium being the worst of them.

If I wanted to spend time reading, I don't want to do it on a TV/Monitor.

The combat is boring and the world design is awkward, sitting somewhere between serious and cartoony. It doesn't quite know what it is. The characters also lack any sort of charm. There's a looseness to the game structure that means it lacks coherence. I have your back, OP.

sigmaZ

It's cool if you don't like something. Nothing is liked by 100 percent of people. Here's what I usually do. If I play something and it feels boring I put it down for a bit a do other stuff and come back to it when I'm in a good mood. If I pick it up again and it feels boring or something about it doesn't sit right with me I drop it. Playing games is a lot like relationships. The more time you spend with something you don't like the more bitter you are likely to become. This is an experience many had with FF16 and I imagine there are a group of people who this game doesn't sit right with such as yourself that it will not resonate with.

Hudo

I have a lot of fun with it. But I grew up on PC, so I also played the Baldur's Gate games and other CRPGs before.

kikonawa

Yes. Turn based games are not for me.

Top Bottom