• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone not play RE:4 because the mechanics changed?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
RE4 would be very difficult to play if the laser highlighted everything including the environment and items that are non-breakable. i only took shots in RE4 where i could see the little red cicle at the end of the laser

If any hard-core Resident Evil fans are holding out on Resident Evil 4 because of the change, stop. I was, and still am a huge fan of the Resident Evil series. Have been since the beginning. I even enjoyed Resident Evil Zero. But Resident Evil 4 is quite honestly the pinnacle of the series. And it is still Resident Evil, despite the changes. It's not like they totally changed the game to the point where it's not Resident Evil anymore. This is the evolution of a series which has given itself an even brighter future with Resident Evil 4. Everyone owes their thanks to Shinji Mikami for this.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wario64 said:
RE4 would be very difficult to play if the laser highlighted everything including the environment and items that are non-breakable. i only took shots in RE4 where i could see the little red cicle at the end of the laser

Like I said guys, GAMEPLAY MECHANIC! :D

Dr_Cogent said:
Holy shit!

I may be interested in the series again if they do this. The sorta old top down camera was bullshit IMO.

Is this an admission that SC is better in that respect? :lol

Hmmmm....

MGS4.jpg

MGS4a.jpg

MGS4c.jpg

Varian

If he's Italian, it makes sense he doesn't want to play a game where you kill Spanish people who are later found out to be zombie Catholics.

Red Scarlet

Nope, I'm not playing RE4.

It's wonderful that all the players that enjoy this game do, but they enjoy it for things "improved" that I and other fans of the old style wish were still intact. But they no longer are. RE4 does not contain the game elements that I got into the series to begin with. People seem to not be able to comprehend that there are fans of what the RE series used to be, which is a shame.

But that's how things go sometimes. Have fun, I know I will playing something else. We all win in various ways (you guys finally get a "tolerable" RE, I save 50 bucks).

Red Scarlet said:

It's wonderful that all the players that enjoy this game do, but they enjoy it for things "improved" that I and other fans of the old style wish were still intact. But they no longer are. RE4 does not contain the game elements that I got into the series to begin with. People seem to not be able to comprehend that there are fans of what the RE series used to be, which is a shame.

But that's how things go sometimes. Have fun, I know I will playing something else. We all win in various ways (you guys finally get a "tolerable" RE, I save 50 bucks).

I'm open-minded. Please elaborate.

Do it just for me, don't reply to any of the other posters. :lol

Seriously, just cite a couple of things you prefered in the old games. No need for a lenghty explanation.

Stinkles said:
Camera changes controls. If you played Halo from a top-down perspective, it would have roughly the same movement controls as Gauntlet. But you don't, so it doesn't.

In the case of RE4, the controls do exactly the same thing whether the camera is behind Leon or across the room from him. In all RE games (including RE4) the basic movement controls are as follows:

UP = Move Forward
Down = Move Backward
Left = Turn Left
Right = Turn Right

The camera placement doesn't change a thing. Bear in mind, I never really had a problem with this setup, I'm just defending the truth. However, I still wish RE4 would have adopted the DMC control scheme.

MoxManiac

I like both styles, really.

I loved the tension and ammo micromanagement of the old REs. You never felt safe at the higher difficulties, because the games never relented. Even though the series' scare tactics were old hat and outplayed, I still played with a large amount of tension due to the game's mechanics.

I was still blown away by RE4 though. The difficulty dropped considerably, but everything else about it was amazing. The game never, not even for a second, dragged, from the moment you started in the village to the game's finale.

PanopticBlue said:
In the case of RE4, the controls do exactly the same thing whether the camera is behind Leon or across the room from him. In all RE games (including RE4) the basic movement controls are as follows:

UP = Move Forward
Down = Move Backward
Left = Turn Left
Right = Turn Right

The camera placement doesn't change a thing. Bear in mind, I never really had a problem with this setup, I'm just defending the truth. However, I still wish RE4 would have adopted the DMC control scheme.

Actually it does, action is much more responsive and reactive instead of the passive style of the old RE setup in which it's only the character's face forward movement is always up regards of whether the camera is forth or not. RE4 jus does away with the awkwardness and let's the player see what the character sees and with a new combat system that's highly dependent on it, which wouldln't really work in the old RE games even if it's technically "tank control."

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
MoxManiac said:

I loved the tension and ammo micromanagement of the old REs. You never felt safe at the higher difficulties, because the games never relented. Even though the series' scare tactics were old hat and outplayed, I still played with a large amount of tension due to the game's mechanics.

I was still blown away by RE4 though. The difficulty dropped considerably, but everything else about it was amazing. The game never, not even for a second, dragged, from the moment you started in the village to the game's finale.

Agreed completely. The tension and inventory forethought were traits I found endearing of the classic games. Surivial horror indeed.

The difficulty was an issue with RE4, and I would have liked to see more combat setpieces similar to the village in the early game, but RE4 was still pretty rad.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
PanopticBlue said:
UP = Move Forward
Down = Move Backward
Left = Turn Left
Right = Turn Right

The camera placement doesn't change a thing

Of course it does. Up now means move into the screen, no matter what. This is far from the case in old REs, you can't just look at it from the characters perspective as that's not how we're playing (in the old ones).

You have to look at it from the camera perspective, it's far more intuitive.

pollo

Banned
Red Scarlet said:

Looks like we found one boys :lol
It's time to bust out the stones

j/k scarlet

Honestly I can understand why some people wouldn't like it.
But still...GYAHAHHEWHRHH

RE4 is SO GOOD when it hits your LIPs

I have to mention the often over looked sound usage that been effected by the game's play mechanics. With the character's left being your left and right being your right, so does the sound on a decent speaker set-up.

It really adds to the atmosphere. To be about to give warning from which side an enemy might be coming from being easier to decipher, in a game in which the enemies seem to love to flank you in large numbers, it saved my butt a few times. As pratical as it is atmospheric.

It's going to be amazing with Dolby Digital 5.1 next gen with Resident Evil 5.

Jagernaut

Red Scarlet said:

I wish i had saved my 50 bucks. I did not like RE4 and i was a fan of the old games (loved RE1 and RE2, RE3 was ok, RECV sucked). I feel exactly like you, RE4 was not a real RE game (it was more of a shooting gallery game like HotD) , and i just don't see what people here love about it.

pollo

Banned
Jagernaut said:
I wish i had saved my 50 bucks. I did not like RE4 and i was a fan of the old games (loved RE1 and RE2, RE3 was ok, RECV sucked). I feel exactly like you, RE4 was not a real RE game (it was more of a shooting gallery game like HotD) , and i just don't see what people here love about it.

Alright we got 2. Anyone else out there? Speak up we wont bite.

/me grits his teeth

MoxManiac said:

IAWTP

Old RE had it's flaws but it was a puzzle/survival horror with usually bad story/plot.
I liked RE4 alot, but I can see how old school fans might not like it since its pretty much a new game. RE4 had very few challenging puzzles and i never once felt fear or the tension as I did in the old games. If the devs took the RE4 complaints to heart RE5 would basically be a FPS, even though RE4 was already pretty easy.

Jado

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Having said all that, I tried to catch up on RE Zero that skipped over after RE4, and I couldn't even bear to play half an hour of that shit. RE4 mechanics with all it's flaws is still lightyears beyond the previous RE controls/camera stupidity.

Same here. I've played through both RE2, REmake, but RE0 is just bad especially after RE4. I nearly died against a single slow-moving zombie because of the angle my character was shooting and the fact that I couldn't see the zombie till it was a few feet away. Tapping right to aim more to the left, left to aim right, and missing from point-blank range. What's it called? Degrees of seperation? Remote-controlling a robot from a distance, who controls the gun, that fires at the enemy. Lack of storage trunks, handling all those items between two characters with tiny inventories, backtracking for one or two items on the floor of some room... that game is a chore. I turned it off after an hour of repeatedly telling myself not to and to give it a chance.

Jagernaut said:
and i just don't see what people here love about it.

Um, if RE4 fans can see why others like classic RE, why cant numerous classic RE fans see why others like RE4? That's pretty narrow-minded. As someone mentioned before, the RE board on IGN is really bad when it comes to this. You can't make a RE4 thread without it being extensively trolled by all the RE4 haters there. Even by the mods on that board.

LakeEarth

Yeah I recently found RE:CV for Gamecube for cheap and picked it up. It's gonna be hard as hell to play that game after RE4 but I think I can pull it off. I will probably look at guides though and not bother run around in circles when I don't know what to do next.

Red Scarlet

Bah, RE:CV wasn't too bad. I got the rocket launcher in the DC game within a week (but I played the game for a week straight). I perfectly understand why those that didn't like the RE's before like RE4. What I just dislike is how rabid the hatred is for those other games is, and how the big fans of RE4 just dismiss those older fans for liking the original games. But I'm rather "don't change!" with games in general.

Ceb

Instigator said:
That is, if you get scared easily.

Silent Hill is a bore fest.

There's a difference between "scary" and "creepy and unnerving" - at least in my eyes. All the games in the SH series have - to a varying extent - left me emotionally drained after I've finished them. It's not about jump scares, but holy shit, SH2 is definitely a depressing experience (in a positive way).

Top Bottom