• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Watched Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban a few nights ago. It was good, the ending was the better half of the movie. I felt like it could have been a lot better and the director (Alfonso Cuaron) was being extremely lazy at times and even fucked some things up completely and had to shoe horn one moment in particular at the very end. The mystery aspect was almost nonexistent, Cuaron did a pretty poor work in this category I felt; could have been a lot better. But it was still good. The next film in the series is one I'm excited to see. New director too, so should be interesting and hopefully he can measure up to the greatness of the book more than his predecessor

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Citizen Kane with the wife last night - it's amazing how modern it feels in places. Honestly I expected it to feel ancient but it was beautiful. The cinematography is astonishing, some shots I really have no idea how they did with the technology of the time. It's an absolute masterpiece and a surprisingly easy watch. I loved every damn second of it.

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
drive.jpg

Drive with Ryan Gosling is still so god damn good. I will never tire of this movie. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but that opening escape scene from the police is so masterfully shot. It honestly reminds me of GTA, I love it. Definitely has some of my favourite driving scenes of any film. It just hits different. I really love the colours & soundtrack. I'll watch anything with Ryan Gosling in it though, I just really like him. He oozes cool.

Can't stop watching this scene man. I love it. It's really important for me for a movie to grab me quickly, and this movie does just that. You could watch these 12 minutes, not watch the rest of the film and be satisfied with how good that was. I'm *hinting* here, watch it!

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
Re-watched Superbad.
Still a great flick.

"McLovin? What kind of a stupid name is that, Fogell? What, are you trying to be an Irish R&B singer?"

405df4eff36947e5c218d233aa605eeb.gif

Probably one of the best Comedies of the 2000's. Might just have one of my favourite casts too, I think everyone is funny as fuck in that film.

I tried to love drive, I really did, just found it boring apart from the few fight scenes

That's fair. I think it's one of those movies you either like or it's just boring to you. Probably no inbetween. I really loved the style of it, and how different it was. Even the chase scenes are a bit more muted and intense, I like that.

Glip_Glop

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I recently saw Boss Level. I had no idea what it was about other than Frank Grillo and Mel Gibson were in it. The concept has been done before, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a fun 90 or so minutes.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Watching Predator 4K UHD right now with some of my favorite takeout - not a stellar 4K remastering but better than SD or 1080 I guess. The HDR is muted but noticeable. The audio is nothing special so far, but I am only just past the "Dillon you son of a bitch!" part

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
The-Butterfly-Effect.jpg

What does everyone think of The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher? Has a ton of plot holes, but I really enjoy this movie. I forgot how messed up and disturbing this movie is at some points. Kayleigh's dad *shudders* Especially if you watch it with the Director's Cut ending, that shit is brutal. Kutcher isn't really an actor that I care for, but he does a really good job in this film. Probably the best performance he's had. He has to convey a wide range of emotions and he does a good job at all of them. Amy Smart is a good supporting actress that I have always liked. I think the movie is cast really well from young age to them as adults as well. I think it's a nice twist on the time travel genre.

This film really makes you think a lot about life I think. Even if you could time travel, would it actually be a good thing? Maybe you'd end up messing something else up in your life and end up even worse off. All the small changes you don't think about that may shape you as you grow older, the people you associate yourself with, the relationships that weren't to be. Stuff like that. I love movies that make you think deeply about life. I often do wonder sometimes about little decisions in my life, and how it could have changed things.

I'm rambling, but you get the idea. Would recommend this film despite it's flaws. It has a lot of great scenes, really hits you hard at moments, and it's just really dark & brilliant. Love the OST as well, it has some really tragic tracks. I think my favourite scene is probably this, great acting from Kutcher & Smart here:

I recently watched The Mandela Effect.
Real strange one.
I never even knew this film was named after something actually called The Mandela Effect.
Watch at your own peril if you haven't already.

anything-for-jackson-review-a-disturbing-supernatural-thriller-with-scares-gore-and-empathetic-human-story.jpg
Very good movie on shudder elderly family kidnap a pregnant girl to use for satanic ritu to bring back their dead grandchild but every thing goes wrong.8/10

Kenpachii

The-Butterfly-Effect.jpg

What does everyone think of The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher? Has a ton of plot holes, but I really enjoy this movie. I forgot how messed up and disturbing this movie is at some points. Kayleigh's dad *shudders* Especially if you watch it with the Director's Cut ending, that shit is brutal. Kutcher isn't really an actor that I care for, but he does a really good job in this film. Probably the best performance he's had. He has to convey a wide range of emotions and he does a good job at all of them. Amy Smart is a good supporting actress that I have always liked. I think the movie is cast really well from young age to them as adults as well. I think it's a nice twist on the time travel genre.

This film really makes you think a lot about life I think. Even if you could time travel, would it actually be a good thing? Maybe you'd end up messing something else up in your life and end up even worse off. All the small changes you don't think about that may shape you as you grow older, the people you associate yourself with, the relationships that weren't to be. Stuff like that. I love movies that make you think deeply about life. I often do wonder sometimes about little decisions in my life, and how it could have changed things.

I'm rambling, but you get the idea. Would recommend this film despite it's flaws. It has a lot of great scenes, really hits you hard at moments, and it's just really dark & brilliant. Love the OST as well, it has some really tragic tracks. I think my favourite scene is probably this, great acting from Kutcher & Smart here:

Absolute love that movie. it really reflects well on life. no matter what u try to do people will just go there route in life. Better to just accept it and move on.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I start my winter movie watching tonight. I've seen these all before except Tenet, but many are either favorites of mine or movies I consider cold weather movies. Movies on the docket:

Black Swan - tonight
Tenet
The Prestige
Eyes Wide Shut
Michael Clayton
Home Alone
The Edge
In Bruges
Silence of the Lambs

BigBooper

I start my winter movie watching tonight. I've seen these all before except Tenet, but many are either favorites of mine or movies I consider cold weather movies. Movies on the docket:

Black Swan - tonight
Tenet
The Prestige
Eyes Wide Shut
Michael Clayton
Home Alone
The Edge
In Bruges
Silence of the Lambs
Have you seen Silence of the Lambs recently? I was thinking about picking up the Bluray and read some reviews about the video quality and saw a few reviews saying that the film didn't hold up. I normally ignore such comments, but I saw a few say it and the points they made seemed reasonable.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Have you seen Silence of the Lambs recently? I was thinking about picking up the Bluray and read some reviews about the video quality and saw a few reviews saying that the film didn't hold up. I normally ignore such comments, but I saw a few say it and the points they made seemed reasonable.
I bought the blu ray a couple weeks ago, but haven't watched it yet so I can't speak to the quality.

I did stream the movie last year though, and the movie itself holds up great. Impressively so. Compared to how over the top stupid most Hollywood detective and serial killer portrayals are, this gets more right than most of them, including new ones, and this movie came out nearly 30 years ago.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Can't speak for video quality but the movie is still awesome. It's a classic. It always will be.

Martian

The fear of 13 was pretty neat, interesting to just listen to some dude talk

The marvel movies (saw like 10 of them) for the first time: all between 6-7. None of them really bad, none of the really good. Enjoyable

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member

Those people are crazy. Silence of the Lambs is awesome. I still don't think Anthony Hopkins has been topped in creepy factor, the way he makes you feel uncomfortable. I'd be scared to be near him. Those scenes when Jodie Foster is talking to him, even behind all the protective shit and sat away from him, I feared for her character. It's just incredible acting.

If you enjoyed it back in the day, I think you will still enjoy it now. I rewatched that a year or so ago, and I still thought it held up incredibly well. Far scarier than most films today.

b17446682e6ba74910e6ea9045bee85e.gif

T

The New Guy

Unconfirmed Member
candymanuklarge1.jpg

Speaking of scary movies, I rewatched Candyman last night with Tony Todd. Man, he is creepy. I remember when I was younger I was scared to death of saying his name in the mirror for weeks. That is how immersed I was, and how real young me thought the movie was. I'm a bit worried about the new one, I don't feel as though it will be able to match the gritty & raw feel of the original. I'm always open to giving movies a chance though, more Horror is great for me.

Love the character design in this film as well. They really did a good job making him as creepy as possible. It's so gross, and great. If I remember right from trivia I read they used real bees too. Shows what a professional Tony Todd is.

Might be one of the best 90's Horror films. Should definitely be up there.

sol_bad

Criterion released a blu ray version.

*EDIT*
If you are worried about video quality there shouldn't be an issue with this release.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Just Mercy - Netflix

Directed by Destin Daniel Cretton and staring Michael B Jordan, Jamie Fox and Brie Larson as a supporting cast member.
Pretty damn good movie based on a true story about a man wrongfully accused of murder and on death row. If you watched Making a Murderer and that frustrated you, this will also frustrate you. I won't lie, it made me all teary eyed in a few scenes. Highly recommended.

GodofWhimsy

KQSIz1F.jpg

I surprisingly really liked this. A breath of fresh air. I'm surprised a big studio invested significant money into something that was so "out there".

If you love a good atmosphere, I'd give this one a watch. Critics can lick a scrotum.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
candymanuklarge1.jpg

Speaking of scary movies, I rewatched Candyman last night with Tony Todd. Man, he is creepy. I remember when I was younger I was scared to death of saying his name in the mirror for weeks. That is how immersed I was, and how real young me thought the movie was. I'm a bit worried about the new one, I don't feel as though it will be able to match the gritty & raw feel of the original. I'm always open to giving movies a chance though, more Horror is great for me.

Love the character design in this film as well. They really did a good job making him as creepy as possible. It's so gross, and great. If I remember right from trivia I read they used real bees too. Shows what a professional Tony Todd is.

Might be one of the best 90's Horror films. Should definitely be up there.

Damn why'd this dude leave? He liked Candyman and everything

Weak

Arkam

iu

Re-watched Kill Boll Vol 1 & 2 a night apart this week. Was my 3rd or 4th view, but had been a decade since my last. (For me) these have not aged well. Vol 1 is the superior film as it is fairly straightforward and nicely weaves story & characters between over the top action scenes. Highly stylized and imaginative despite expressly trying to do homages. Vol 2 on the other hand is a all over the place and spent waay too long on the whole Beatrix/Bill relationship/house scene. That seriously dragged and while well delivered by the actors.... was DUMB AF. The parts with Beatrix training with Pai Mai are decent enough.... but I could see similar training in a better film (Drunken master...or even Kung Fu Panda). And was basically a looog way to tell that she learned the 1 inch punch.

Unless my memory fails me, it will probably be another decade until I revisit these films.... and might even only revisit Vol 1. It has all the style and less of the baggage.
Vol 1 - 7.9/10
Vol 2 - 6/10

Kev Kev

hellhouse.jpg

these were pretty decent, definitely b movie-ish, but if you like found footage horro i have to reccomend these. i havent seen the third yet bc its not on amazon, but im really interesetd in seeing how it ends. best thing abotu these is they dont have a lot of jump scares (i cant think of any from either film tbh) but they still have these creep scary parts that send chills up your spine. i really enjoyed them despite the obvious low production value and the "not too bad but not too good" actors. check em out if your a found footage junkie like myself

I watched MULE on netflix, with clint eastwood as a really old man who runs drugs.
Not good, not bad, fine way to spend 2 hours.

Also watched NOAH with whatshisface, not particularly good but I wanted to see if I could detect some of those biblical things JbP taught me about. Movie = meh.

Watched all Godfathers. Everyone should have seen these.

mango drank

Hellraiser (Amazon Prime) - 3/10
The plot was crap, and the acting was B-movie level. Great character designs, though. Movie should've been more focused on Pinhead and his crew, than what it actually was.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Those people are crazy. Silence of the Lambs is awesome. I still don't think Anthony Hopkins has been topped in creepy factor, the way he makes you feel uncomfortable. I'd be scared to be near him. Those scenes when Jodie Foster is talking to him, even behind all the protective shit and sat away from him, I feared for her character. It's just incredible acting.

If you enjoyed it back in the day, I think you will still enjoy it now. I rewatched that a year or so ago, and I still thought it held up incredibly well. Far scarier than most films today.

b17446682e6ba74910e6ea9045bee85e.gif

The book is amazing too - check it out if you've never read it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wonder Woman 2017
They deserve credit for helping the narrative that justice league is bad.
ares-wonder-woman-david-thewlis-998046-1280x0.png

Ares attack on WW was impressive and I thought Wonder Woman showed leadership, just a ton of moments and the Armies contributions were welcomed.
4/5

Arkam

The Game - A film I had heard of and heard praise for, but never seen. The overall plot was solid, though not entirely original. Guy gets involved with a game/fake adventure and the lines between real life and make believe begin to blur. The first 1/3 is meh with introductions of characters and such, 2/3 peeled the onion in a series of decent action/drama sequences. Its only in the final 1/3 that I thought the film picked up and started to deliver. Instead of a measured back/forth on real life vs fantasy. It begins to swing dramatically in one direction before reversing course.

Overall it was really good. Just understand that the potency is all at the tail end. And the ending bits are worth the price of admission.

bender

What time is it?
Se7en - It's been a minute since I've seen this. I wish it were on older Brad Pitt in the role as his performance really doesn't work for me until the closing moments but I suppose that's important, as that's the scene that everyone will remember. And while I know it fits the movie's plot, it really feels like the movie could have used another 30 minutes or so and pay more care to the Lust and Pride murders. The library card/FBI database plot device also feels a tad weak. Freeman is always a treat to watch and I forgot Lee Ermey was in this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom