• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone seen any good movies lately?

bender

What time is it?
Parasite - what a brilliant movie.

Indeed.

Speaking of Korean movies, I re-watched I Saw The Devil. I was pretty fond on my first viewing years ago and I still think it has brilliant performances and enough of that Korean-flavored horror cinema to appease any fan, but a lot of it doesn't sit right with me. The GPS/Microphone premise is on the dumb side or at least absurd and from a philosophical standpoint, I get this is about revenge but how many times are you going to let a serial killer go who in turn will hurt, rape and murder others just to repeat the punishment cycle? The ending is pretty fucked up too by involving his parents and child.

I watched The Foreigner last night. I liked it. The action scenes where pretty good, obviously Jackie Chan is no spring chicken anymore. Pierce Brosnan was solid too. If anything it made me look up the IRA movement and the history behind it. Solid 7.5/10 movie.

INC

I watched The Foreigner last night. I liked it. The action scenes where pretty good, obviously Jackie Chan is no spring chicken anymore. Pierce Brosnan was solid too. If anything it made me look up the IRA movement and the history behind it. Solid 7.5/10 movie.

Check out patriot game, and the long good Friday

bender

What time is it?

Caught this in theaters with friends and really disliked it. Narratively it was a letdown.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Continuing with my winter movie watches and In Bruges is never not great. I don't get how this movie isn't talked about more. It has a small cult following, but it truly is an all-time great. It's fucking hilarious, has a great soundtrack. I love so many moments. I watch it every year in December.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone see The Sound of Metal on Amazon Prime?

Heard it was good but it looks like a downer.

Nymphae

Banned
Amadeus fucking rules. Woke score 1/10, absolutely no black people to be seen anywhere

310b5e7ab336b15d9444e7ead590f903_480x.progressive.jpg

MV5BNmY0MWY2NDctZDdmMi00MjA1LTk0ZTQtZDMyZTQ1NTNlYzVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I can't say I am able to recognise what others see as brilliance in Kubrick's work without having someone point it out to me. Regardless, as someone who finds period dramas to have no appeal I was both surprised and amused by how much I enjoyed this 3-hour epic.

Michael Horden's exquisitely delivered narration is like warm honey drizzled onto the most sumptuous of visual and aural feasts.

Arkam

I’m going to watch them and find out for myself before Spring begins I would guess. I still need to finish up the last bit of the book. I heard the third film is kind of so-so but I’ll bet the first two are hood enough for at least worth one watch
YMMV but I found them to be intolerable. If you have read the book it’s nothing but vapid disappointment. Just about everything I loved about the book was cut out (in favor of adding additional characters so there can be a romance angle). In the book most of the time the reason the dwarves do stupid things is because they are starving.... in the films they just morons.

My favorite bit was their time in Mirkwood, which was brilliantly described in the book. It was a real moment where it felt like the adventurers would perish. In the film it was a barely a footnote.

But that’s how everything is in the films (despite being three of them). Everything is rushed and gives no sense of time to the events. Which again makes all their actions just seem like the whims of the retarded instead of the acts of the utterly desperate.

if you have never read the book and likes the LoTR films it is probably decent enough.

Cutty Flam

Banned
YMMV but I found them to be intolerable. If you have read the book it’s nothing but vapid disappointment. Just about everything I loved about the book was cut out (in favor of adding additional characters so there can be a romance angle). In the book most of the time the reason the dwarves do stupid things is because they are starving.... in the films they just morons.

My favorite bit was their time in Mirkwood, which was brilliantly described in the book. It was a real moment where it felt like the adventurers would perish. In the film it was a barely a footnote.

But that’s how everything is in the films (despite being three of them). Everything is rushed and gives no sense of time to the events. Which again makes all their actions just seem like the whims of the retarded instead of the acts of the utterly desperate.

if you have never read the book and likes the LoTR films it is probably decent enough.
Damn so PJ really did drop the ball? He only had to adapt 100 pages per film since he spanned it across three films which could have worked out brilliantly if he was all in with this project. To be disrespecting the Dwarves like that is unnecessary. Maybe Bombur could be portrayed in that way for a few to several scenes but the rest were sharp as a tack based most of the story. Thorin Oakenshield is a standout character. Any characterization of him that equates to anything less than a great King is unacceptable in Thorin's case, IMO. Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, and I would even argue Balin, Fili, and Kili need to be almost 100% on point and true according to the book. I understand that they need to consider ticket sales and tweak accordingly, especially when each film of the three will stretch around 3 hrs each, but some characters should remain almost 100% consistent with what Tolkien wrote

It only makes sense to create something that impresses the hardcore fans all over the world first, find some middle ground with the casual viewers as well, and the rest should take care of itself if both parties are satisfied with the final product. But if he made a joke of all the Dwarves a bit too often and made them look like idiots then it seems like maybe he was just having fun out there with his crew lol

Jethalal

Banned
Just watched Weathering With You, I liked it more than Your Name.

Also, the German dub was surprisingly good, actually.
Opposite for me. Your Name is the first Romantic movie I ever liked. I liked the Sci-Fi aspects. I felt Weathering with You was bit lacking in execution.
Hope they don't botch up the Your Name Hollywood remake they're making. I can't even fathom how they'll approach it.

THEAP99

Banned
Can't believe the amount of slop on netflix. Had to flip through for like 30 minutes trying to find something to watch until I said fuck it I'll rewatch Nightcrawler again.

I watched Blue Ruin last week, that was also good.

Hudo

Opposite for me. Your Name is the first Romantic movie I ever liked. I liked the Sci-Fi aspects. I felt Weathering with You was bit lacking in execution.
Hope they don't botch up the Your Name Hollywood remake they're making. I can't even fathom how they'll approach it.
They're making a live action thing? What the fuck

Hudo

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/...getting-a-hollywood-live-action-remake-092920

Apparently they are making the girl a Native American, would be interesting to see if it works in the new setting. Though JJ Abrams producing scares me, hope his creative input is minimum. I haven't gotten over TROS yet.
Well, damn. I mean, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by it but I don't have any hopes. I think part of why Your Name worked so well was exactly because it was an anime, in a sense. I also like that Makoto Shinkai's movies aren't afraid of showing longer scenes where "nothing" significant is happening, which Hollywood is unable to do. That JJ Abrams is involved is another red flag for me because that's exactly one of the problems his Star Trek movies had, something always needed to happen.

INC

watched American gangsta last night

yeh its ok.........feels like a series that was condensed into a 2hr+ movie

it has the same issue alot of denzel films suffer from, and thats denzel over acting to look scary, or crazy, i just dont buy it, like training day, i think he ruined that film, i know he got an oscar, and yes he is a great actor, but a gangsta.......yeh i can never buy it

still its an ok film 7/10, worth a watch

Jethalal

Banned
Bro I loved it a lot. Easily the best DCEU Flick and 2nd overall after The Dark knight. This is my favourite female centric movie ever because the heroine is a very strong lead. Women are forced to portray 2 kinds of roles unfortunately either an eye candy or on the other extreme end, they are forced to become a symbol for woman empowerment. The movie does it best, her being a woman isn't her biggest differentiating factor from other male heroes but it's the richness of her character.

Positives: great acting by Chris pine and pedro pascal, great lead, unique villain, fun to watch, great emotional moments, great hype moments too.

Negatives: wonky cgi, cheetah looked horrible, they should've deleted 20 minutes from the 1st half to improve the pacing, wonder woman looks weird while running.

This was basically if Bruce almighty was a supervillain and I loved this movie. Would've given 9.5 but the bad pacing in first half drags it down to a 9.
Saw WW84 at the theatre, these are my thoughts on it. Please go to watch it at a theatre if possible. Amazing movie.

Peggies

Gold Member
Just watched "The Woman" and am utterly impressed. What a movie, 9/10! I always liked Jack Ketchum as an author but he did really good with that screenplay too, well together with Lucky McKee. Did anyone see it?

Last edited:
Saw the Hunger Thief with Liam Neeson and it was your typical Liam Neeson flick. If you like those type of movies which I do, then it's enjoyable

Jethalal

Banned
Have you seen it? I only saw it once but it was a damn good movie and Gadot is 🔥🔥🔥
WW84 is better IMO. If they'd cut out 15 mins from 1st half it would've been my top 5 solo superhero movies. Best DCEU flick and 2nd DC after Dark Knight.

I loved WW but I hated it's last 3rd part otherwise I would've placed it above WW84.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched Eyes Wide Shut and Michael Clayton. Two of my all-time favs. MC is my favorite movie ever.

One thing I noticed in Eyes Wide Shut over the years is there are about 50 times in the movie where Tom Cruise repeats back a line someone says to him in the form of a question.

I love cold weather movies, I don't know why. I think it just makes them seem more tense.

Prison Mike

Banned
Blue Story GIF by Cineworld Cinemas

Blue story

Film about gang culture and postcode wars in inner city london.

Knowing people who have been involved in this so called lifestyle i think it did a good job also great soundtrack.

Prison Mike

Banned
Watched Eyes Wide Shut and Michael Clayton. Two of my all-time favs. MC is my favorite movie ever.

One thing I noticed in Eyes Wide Shut over the years is there are about 50 times in the movie where Tom Cruise repeats back a line someone says to him in the form of a question.

I love cold weather movies, I don't know why. I think it just makes them seem more tense.
Pointless fact although it was set in new york was actually filmed in London

Tschumi

I watched the 1979 animated Lord of the Rings film.. really loved it, they used.. motion capture for lack of a better term.. their Aragon was pretty cool (regrettably all manly men wore miniskirts in those days which was a bit hard to ignore), it covered a lot of story at quite a good clip.. yeah!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kev Kev

I watched the 1979 animated Lord of the Rings film.. really loved it, they used.. motion capture for lack of a better term.. their Aragon was pretty cool (regrettably all manly men wore miniskirts in those days which was a bit hard to ignore), it covered the full story at quite a good clip.. yeah!
ive tried to watch that so many times. i usually get about 20 minutes in and then im like
h3s17aC.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
A Christmas Story - still classic

The Outpost - good but harrowing modern war movie

Gremlins 2 - for when I was feeling the Egg Nogg

GreenAlien

Just saw "Upgrade" with Amazon Prime, it was surprisingly good. If you want more Cyberpunk after Cyberpunk 2077, maybe give it a shot.

SirTerry-T

I watched the 1979 animated Lord of the Rings film.. really loved it, they used.. motion capture for lack of a better term.. their Aragon was pretty cool (regrettably all manly men wore miniskirts in those days which was a bit hard to ignore), it covered a lot of story at quite a good clip.. yeah!
Give Fire & Ice a go, it's Bakshi's other take at doing a fantasy film. Wafer thin plot but decent, corny, fantasy... co-produced by Frank Frazetta too. It's not high art but fun enough.

Jethalal

Banned
Soul

If you like Pixar movies then you will no doubt enjoy this. Great movie, great message.
I loved it. Just finished it. Definitely better than Inside Out, the director's other flick. The movie definitely made me think about my life decisions, I don't wanna be a lost soul. I am taking a break from internet before things start slipping away from my hand. I guess I'll be back soon, until then Sayonara.

INC

Finally saw tenet

Loved it, need a second viewing.

But my god the sound mixing is horrific, you can barely hear what anyone is saying in some parts, the fact people try and defend this is laughable, I literally gotta rewatch with subtitles on.

Apart from that 8/10, some amazing film work done in this film

Top Bottom