• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

Blackhead

Redarse
Meanwhile, White predicts that the Apple Watch could be refreshed within the next two to three months. He believes that a 20% to 40% thinner Apple Watch 2 could be unveiled by June, possibly at Apple's annual WWDC, which could take place between June 13-17 based on scheduled availability at Moscone West, the San Francisco convention center where the developer event is typically held.
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/08/apple-watch-2-debut-wwdc-june-brian-white/

Would make sense if there's major changes to watchOS.
Apple always releases a new model with in tandem with the new OS. Highly unlikely that major changes to watchOS (with required 3 or more months of beta status) if Apple releases new watch in June. More likely very minor OS changes to avoid bugs and not push new features for developers.

Those expecting a new look for the Apple Watch, such as a thinner profile, will have to wait until the company's anticipated 2017 upgrade, he said. This year's model is expected to be much like the iPhone tick-tock upgrade schedule, with an "s" update focusing on the internal components rather than the external design.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...esign-changes-to-wait-until-2017-insider-says
Apple's track record of second gen for iPhone, iPad, AppleTV was not an 's' model. Much more likely to expect a big external change. Perhaps not thinner case but still the earlier rumors of a FaceTime camera? (p.s. Appleinsider is a horrible source website)

Apple's track record of second gen for iPhone, iPad, AppleTV was not an 's' model. (p.s. Appleinsider is a horrible source website)

Regardless of the site, Ming-Chi Kuo has a pretty decent track record. Watch clearly isn't comparable to iOS device cycles. Same with Apple TV.

Blackhead

Redarse
Regardless of the site, Ming-Chi Kuo has a pretty decent track record. Watch clearly isn't comparable to iOS device cycles. Same with Apple TV.

Ming-Chi Kuo has a good record; agreed. Appleinsider just does a horrible writeup and commentary around those. Macrumors and everyone else is reporting the Ming-Chi Kuo note anyway, no point linking to Appleinsider since it's not an exclusive.

Sean

Banned
I'm just interested to know about third party apps really. Like, are they all consistently slow to load or just some, or are they slow to actually use, or are they poorly performing, and does it differ from app to app etc.?

And how many seconds constitutes "slow" for these things?

I'm mainly interested in the fitness side of things - would like to use it with Strava for example while cycling.

This is what I'm talking about. People just say it's slow and don't qualify that in any way.

The caveat for me is that I can get it for significantly below RRP, so that's what's stopping me waiting for the next version.

If the reason you're interested in an Apple Watch is for third party apps, forget about it and just wait for future models. Apps are unbearably slow to the point where you'd never want to launch them. I've not launched one in months.

Just timed one and it took ten seconds for the Philips Hue watch app to load. That's an extremely simple app that displays a single button on screen. Ten seconds to load that shit. Or I could've just swiped down on notification center from my iPhone's lockscreen and accomplished the same task in one second using the iOS widget.

You might think to yourself "big deal, it's only 10 seconds" but it's very different when you're standing around holding your wrist in the air staring at a loading icon and knowing that you're also carrying a device that could accomplish the same task in a fraction of the time. It's almost always faster to pull your iPhone out of your pocket, login with TouchID, launch the app, and do whatever it is on there. Obviously a wristwatch will never be as fast as the newest iPhone, but it's often not even close to acceptable performance (which would be ~3-5 seconds imo).

I'm a day one Apple Watch user and I still wear it every day, but the only thing it's good for is getting notifications on your wrist and the built-in fitness stuff. It's definitely a first-gen/early adopter type product at the moment and probably will remain that way for a while.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just picked up a nest, do you think you can PM me a code? I was scouring the appstore looking for something that would allow me to control the nest with my watch, and your app looks great.

Thanks
PM sent.

It's almost always faster to pull your iPhone out of your pocket, login with TouchID, launch the app, and do whatever it is on there. Obviously a wristwatch will never be as fast as the newest iPhone, but it's often not even close to acceptable performance (which would be ~3-5 seconds imo).
Well I'll contend that the thing I made does let me accomplish a task on the watch faster than I could do it on the phone - especially as I use it often enough that it doesn't have to load up every time I want to use it. I also think using Clear for shopping lists works better on the watch, as I don't have to occupy hands with the phone. But beyond that, and some word puzzle games, I don't think I use any 3rd party apps on the watch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
anyone know what process the chips on Apple Watch are using? Are they down at 14-16nm already? If not then there could be an opportunity for a thinner watch with faster performance. But if its already on a modern process, then they could do thinner *or* faster but not both.

anyone know what process the chips on Apple Watch are using? Are they down at 14-16nm already? If not then there could be an opportunity for a thinner watch with faster performance. But if its already on a modern process, then they could do thinner *or* faster but not both.

28 nm.

Blackhead

Redarse
Looks like Apple is continuing on their recent strategy of deemphasizing third party apps (and downplaying the Edition) as only Dark Sky and Argus referenced in these 7 videos. Apple Debuts 7 New Apple Watch Ads Highlighting Fitness Capabilities, Fashion and More

A year after its launch, it’s now clear that pretty much no one needs an Apple Watch
QZ said:
I didn’t preorder the Apple Watch, or stand in line the day it came out. But I read every article about it, and when someone suggested that it would complement my “personal cloud,” I eventually felt compelled to buy one. I wear it every day, possibly out of determination to get something out of the $400 I spent on it, but when someone asks me if I think they should buy one, I usually tell them no. The Apple Watch was released April 24, 2015. Nearly a year later, it’s become apparent that there really isn’t much of a need to get one. The smartwatch was the first entirely new product that Apple had released in five years, the first launched under CEO Tim Cook’s oversight—as well the first product in decades launched by Apple without the direction of Steve Jobs behind it.
Some argued that it was the product that would give us insight into the future of Apple. A year later, that direction appears to be very boring...

Even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, in a recent Reddit question-and-answer session, was inclined to agree:
I worry a little bit about – I mean I love my Apple Watch, but – it’s taken us into a jewelry market where you’re going to buy a watch between $500 or $1100 based on how important you think you are as a person. The only difference is the band in all those watches. Twenty watches from $500 to $1100. The band’s the only difference? Well this isn’t the company that Apple was originally, or the company that really changed the world a lot.
In terms of usability, the watch has proven a tough sell. US presidential hopeful and die-hard Apple fan Jeb Bush didn’t even know his Apple Watch could make and receive calls. The tiny screen doesn’t lend itself to complicated interactions, and third-party and native apps have struggled to show that they’re more useful than, say, just looking at the full-fledged apps on your phone...

eh, i sniped out a bit of that article. He goes into Apple Pay and health tracking as uses worth exploring further

Alternatively: How Apple can improve the Apple Watch Without New Hardware
Tim Schmitz iOS developer said:
I wrote recently that I've been somewhat disappointed in the first generation Apple Watch. A lot of that has to do with the limitations of the hardware, but a sizable part is related to the software as well. Apple can only release new hardware so often, but they can update the OS much more frequently. Here are a few areas where I think there's room for significant improvement without new hardware.

CONTEXT AWARENESS
Right now, the Apple Watch does pretty much the same things regardless of the time, your location, the weather, etc...

RE-THINK THE APP LAUNCHER
Let's face it: The app launcher on the Apple Watch is a mess...

MAKE BETTER USE OF HARDWARE BUTTONS
How often do you really want to send a drawing or heartbeat to someone using your watch? If you're like me, almost never...

MORE WATCH FACES
Watch faces are one of the most fun aspects of the Apple Watch...

Ultimately, a lot of the limitations of the first Apple Watch relate to the hardware. The CPU is too slow and/or the battery too small for the watch to be as snappy and responsive as I'd like. At the same time, a few software updates can go a long way. I hope Apple has enough of an open mind about the Apple Watch as a platform to re-think some things about how it works. Even with the same limited hardware, it could be a much more useful device with a few relatively small changes.

Somewhat related: There is still no jailbreak for the AppleWatch. It's the only iOS device (or Apple device?!) not to have one within at least the first year of its release. I can't help but feel that this affects developer and early adopter enthusiasm.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Somewhat related: There is still no jailbreak for the AppleWatch. It's the only iOS device (or Apple device?!) not to have one within at least the first year of its release. I can't help but feel that this affects developer and early adopter enthusiasm.
IMO WatchKit 1 squashed the developer interest far more than anything. They really should have waited until WatchOS2 before making the app development available to the 3rd party developers. I think a lot of developers tried to do something, shook their head and left without much enthusiasm to come back. Users bought early apps, saw how terribly unresponsive they were, and would also second-guess any future purchase. Just a mess all around, I have no idea what was Apple thinking.

Guys, are the sports worth it? or should I go straight to stainless? My girlfriend is going to get me one for my bday but I'm not sure if the stainless steel watch is worth it.

Guys, are the sports worth it? or should I go straight to stainless? My girlfriend is going to get me one for my bday but I'm not sure if the stainless steel watch is worth it.

That entirely depends on your taste, I like my stainless steel watch but I think some of the sports look nice.

aparisi2274

I have the sport and I love it. I was on the fence about a watch to begin with, but I received this one as a Christmas gift, so I like it.

I looked at the SS edition and I didnt think that the SS alone justified the price increase over the Sport, since everything on the inside is the same...

Personally I'd get a Sport model. I liked the build quality of mine and while I have never owned a Stainless Steel model I just cannot see it being worth the cost difference.

jts

...hate me...
Mine should finally arrive today.

It's been a year since it got released and I wanted it. What a time.

Chittagong

Gold Member
One year in, I must say I'm pretty disappointed with the sports capabilities of Apple Watch

- Doesn't work at all on the gym when doing squats etc. Heart rate shows constantly just 60 BPM. I know it's not meant for gym, which is disappointing to start with
- Today I did an aerobic session, my average HR was 60 BPM according to Apple Watch. Again, not a supported case, but it's not like aerobic is some obscure sport
- When running/hiking, which is an advertised use, it keeps losing the heart rate half of the time. In my recent uphills my BPM kept on swinging frm 179 to 85 or something.
- Battery burns in just over three hours of exercise. You can't even do a marathon, unless you are a world champion
- Activity app UI is a hot mess, very unintuitive compared to My Fitness Pal for example. They went for the looks, not the usabilty

Not good.

jts

...hate me...
Watch is here!

Fantastic state, 2 sports bands that look great, getting a bit of juice now before I even put it on my wrist.

Very happy about it. Depending on Apple's plans for the new generation it might not last long with me but got it for a good price, so it's all good.

ycJsyAf.jpg

SuperPac

One year in, I must say I'm pretty disappointed with the sports capabilities of Apple Watch

- Doesn't work at all on the gym when doing squats etc. Heart rate shows constantly just 60 BPM. I know it's not meant for gym, which is disappointing to start with
- Today I did an aerobic session, my average HR was 60 BPM according to Apple Watch. Again, not a supported case, but it's not like aerobic is some obscure sport
- When running/hiking, which is an advertised use, it keeps losing the heart rate half of the time. In my recent uphills my BPM kept on swinging frm 179 to 85 or something.
- Battery burns in just over three hours of exercise. You can't even do a marathon, unless you are a world champion
- Activity app UI is a hot mess, very unintuitive compared to My Fitness Pal for example. They went for the looks, not the usabilty

Not good.

There might be something wrong with your Watch, because I have worn mine for workouts and after starting an exercise it's showing what I would imagine the correct HR to be and certainly not "60". I am not exercising for 3 hours, though. :) Not even exercising regularly, so maybe that's more my issue.

Agree that the Activity app UI is not great, very first-gen. I wish they'd give that some love like when they redesigned the Maps stuff to make that usable.

I really would like some kind of competitive/social aspect to Activity and Health in general that would plug into other apps. I've been using Lose It for years and it's been good but I have friends who are on FitBits and my wife has an Apple Watch and we can't compete against friends or each other for activity.

Watch is here!

Fantastic state, 2 sports bands that look great, getting a bit of juice now before I even put it on my wrist.

Very happy about it. Depending on Apple's plans for the new generation it might not last long with me but got it for a good price, so it's all good.

Congrats! Despite third-party apps being mostly terrible there are a couple good ones. If you're going to use that face, try out some complications like Dark Sky, CARROT Weather, Fantastical... Complications are the best thing the Watch offers IMO.

Blackhead

Redarse
On the recent ATP 166 - FITNESS TURD (pertinent part starts about 1:21) John joins Marco in dropping the Apple Watch while Casey defends it:

Poor Apple Watch
Liss Is More said:
Increasingly, I feel like I’m the only one.

I still really like my Apple Watch.

Many of my friends and peers seem to be getting rid of their Apple Watches. They’re either no longer wearing watches at all, or are switching to mechanical watches instead. I can’t help but feel like it’s trendy to be smug about the Apple Watch.

I last discussed my thoughts about the Apple Watch in December. I wrote then:

Insignificant as [receiving notifications on your wrist] may seem to be, it actually isn’t. The Apple Watch has allowed my iPhone to transition from being a personal device to being a private one. That’s a really profound change. More so than I expected.​

I feel that exact same way today.

Thinking of the Apple Watch as a standalone device that replaces the functionality of your phone is a fool’s errand. The Apple Watch improves your visibility into what is happening in your phone, like a satellite giving you a bird’s eye view of the earth. Neither will give you great detail about what is happening, but either can give you a lot of general information very quickly.

The Watch does its best work when it is showing notifications, allowing hyper-terse replies to messages, or showing you little snippets of data by way of complications. It does not do well as a standalone platform for applications.

And you know what? That’s okay.

Perhaps it’s because I have a job where I leave the house, but I can’t imagine looking down at my wrist and not seeing when my next appointment is. I can’t imagine looking down and not seeing what the temperature is outside.

I find it very convenient to see the weather forecast on my watch, even if my phone is on my desk upstairs. If my phone is across the house, I can decide by my wrist whether the call I’m receiving is worth sprinting to my phone for. I can glance at a text message while I’m driving, and see if it’s worth pulling over to take a closer look at; or I can reply easily and quickly with my voice.

I understand why one would give up on the Apple Watch. The apps are, by and large, useless. The glances are nearly as bad. But custom complications have changed how I think of my Apple Watch. Complications have turned my Watch into an information appliance.

For others, that may not be the case. And you know what? That’s okay too.

So many are lamenting the slow speed of the Apple Watch. I can’t argue; it annoys me as well. While I’d love to have increased performance in the next version of watchOS, and I’d love to see the next version of the Apple Watch get a little faster and thinner, I don’t feel like I need either of those things.

I could sure use custom third-party watch faces though.

I’ve found another reason to keep my Apple Watch around just in the last few weeks. I had heard many people telling me that Amazon has a ton of third-party watch bands, but was too scared to try them. The prices on these bands are unfathomably low as compared to the Apple equivalents, but wasting $20 is still wasting $20.

That in mind, I really wanted to try a Milanese Loop once Apple’s Space Black loop debuted. I didn’t want to spend $200 to do so. I found this knockoff on Amazon for around $20. I’ve been wearing it for a couple of weeks now and I quite like it. The color doesn’t perfectly match, and there are a couple of spots where silver peeks through. But for one tenth the cost, I’m a happy camper.

I’ve been eyeing this link bracelet for a while now, but ~$100 is too much for me to try on a lark. Whether I pull the trigger or not, it’s awesome to feel like I have so many options.

The beauty of the Apple Watch is that changing bands is super easy, and just when I was getting bored of my black Sport Band, I discovered a whole new world of bands, ripe for the picking. My Apple Watch may not look any different, but I can already tell the bands will be ever-changing.

Wearables: one-third of consumers abandoning devices | The Guardian (April 2014)
Why Apple Inc. Doesn't Care Most Wearable Tech Ends Up As Junk | Fool (Feb 2015)
Fitbit CEO James Park Explains Why Your Fitbit Won’t End Up in the Junk Drawer | recode (Oct 2015)
Where Wearable Technology Ends Up (Hint: Not Your Wrist) | NYTimes (Jan 2016)

hmm... curious what the usage rate is for the Apple Watch...
Watch is here!

ooh what color was the other band? what was the good price? that's a 38mm right? was that by choice or just the good price? :)

jts

...hate me...
Thanks for the tips lads. Already enjoyed it a lot with the Apple TV. Very handy remote.
ooh what color was the other band? what was the good price? that's a 38mm right? was that by choice or just the good price? :)
Hey!
No, it is actually a 42mm, and costed just under 300 euro. Which I think is a sweet price already taking into account resale value in a few months, I reckon around 250 may be feasible when the gen 2 hits. I did make no concessions in the size, and the model would always be the Sport (for budgetary reasons, otherwise I'd take the regular SS). I would have accepted the space grey if the price was right but the silver was also my first choice. When I tried to import it via mail forwarding one year ago, it was already a 42mm silver with blue sports band.

The other band is white. Now I just need a darker understated band. Want that midnight blue one.

I got the SPORTS watch!!! and I gotta say I freaking love it! It looks amazing and I just love everything this watch has to offer. It's my first first smart watch... actually my very first watch in general xD Gonna so wear this everyday!

Any App recommendations? what are some must get apps?

aparisi2274

I got the SPORTS watch!!! and I gotta say I freaking love it! It looks amazing and I just love everything this watch has to offer. It's my first first smart watch... actually my very first watch in general xD Gonna so wear this everyday!

Any App recommendations? what are some must get apps?

I live in NYC, so I use the Citymapper app which has a watch glance that lets me see what subway lines are being serviced... I use it every day.

I also use the MLB app for baseball scores, and I use a currency convertor app to keep tabs on the USD to Yen rates...

I heard Carrot (weather app) is amazing, but I have yet to pull the trigger on it.

I live in NYC, so I use the Citymapper app which has a watch glance that lets me see what subway lines are being serviced... I use it every day.

I also use the MLB app for baseball scores, and I use a currency convertor app to keep tabs on the USD to Yen rates...

I heard Carrot (weather app) is amazing, but I have yet to pull the trigger on it.

Awesome! I live in NYC as well. I drive to work everyday, but occasionally I do take the subway on the weekends, so definitely gonna download that. Thanks.

aparisi2274

Awesome! I live in NYC as well. I drive to work everyday, but occasionally I do take the subway on the weekends, so definitely gonna download that. Thanks.

the other cool thing about the watch is if you use maps for directions, it buzzes differently for when you have to make a right or left... this way you can walk to your destination without having to look at your phone or watch..

I also use Fandango to have my movie tickets on my watch... same with my boarding pass for flights I am taking

the other cool thing about the watch is if you use maps for directions, it buzzes differently for when you have to make a right or left... this way you can walk to your destination without having to look at your phone or watch..

I also use Fandango to have my movie tickets on my watch... same with my boarding pass for flights I am taking

Going on a trip tomorrow. This is perfect! Thanks.

Quick

Banned
One year in, what's it like having an Apple Watch?

I've been debating on getting it since it came out, but at this point, I might as well wait for the next version of it.

But as I sit and think about it more, I'm not sure what use I have for it.

aparisi2274

One year in, what's it like having an Apple Watch?

I've been debating on getting it since it came out, but at this point, I might as well wait for the next version of it.

But as I sit and think about it more, I'm not sure what use I have for it.

From April 2015 to Dec 2015, I had no idea how I would use the watch in every day life, as I had never been into wearing a watch, and whenever I had one on my wrist it felt foreign to me, so I never pulled the trigger. Christmas comes along and my mom gets me the 42mm sport, and now, after using it for about 5months, I can't take it off. If I leave my house to run to the store and I forget to put it on, my wrist feels weird.

I use the watch for the following things:

1. viewing and replying to txts
2. living in NYC, I need to know what subway lines are being affected on any given day and I do that with the citymapper app and their watch glance feature makes is simple for me to see what is going on.
3. I use the MLB app to get constant score updates for my Mets which is nice
4. I use it for Fandango tickets, Apple Pay, and Boarding passes for when I fly somewhere.

jts

...hate me...
Some loose thoughts on it, 2 days later:

It's comfortable to use.

The display is amazing.

Battery in this is actually ace. Probably went to went to bed with about or over 50% juice (7am-11pm).

But then again I'm not using it as a smartphone. I don't care about using a apps like Instagram on it and whatnot.

It isn't nearly as slow as I was expecting. Had my expectations in check but it's zippy enough. Even loading 3rd party apps, I don't find those spinning circles to be that slow. It takes what, one second to load an app. Probably syncing info over bluetooth.

Standing time doesn't seem to be reliable at all but I can't be arsed with its activity gimmicks, or the activity circles, achievements etc. Can be a fun game for people wanting to kickstart some activity but I don't.

Still want it for fitness reasons, from timers to measure distance/pace, to manually log exercises, to measure heart rate, to play music (still need to get a BT headset though), etc.

Nightstand mode is nice, but I have a couple of issues with it:
Shines brighter than I expected (I love full darkness when I sleep) for a bit longer than welcome, and it's a bit cumbersome to palm it when it's standing on the night table, and it easily detaches from the charger. Also, after snoozing the alarm I didn't find a good way of stopping it altogether, without waiting for it to ring again.

Have had a lot of fun with the faces but I'm tending to stick with the modular. Seems to be the best for readability and information density. Can barely quick read an analog face anymore. Besides, sometimes clothes are covering half of the watch, so again it's better to read the modular face (or another digital face with the clock to the right side).

Siri is great on it, but that I expected. Set up timers, play music from Apple Music. Just great.

The way the UI hinges from screen to screen is a bit confusing, and not always logical I think. I'm getting the hang of it, but some choices are eh.

Wish there would be more complications and glances. For example for the remote app. But until then I've tucked it nicely on a corner (I've set up the app screen as an X).

Well that's it I guess. I feel like the watch is very nifty and handy at the right times. It's just not the class of device that you can "go to town" on when you're actively trying to enjoy it, like you can with a phone, a computer, a console etc. You have to let it be, which I think leads to frustration for some that dropped 500+ on a device and have expectations for a certain amount of interaction for that money. It will be useful in its own time. I swear these time puns are not intended.

Anyway I really like it so far. I was craving for a watch as well (was gonna go for a Withings otherwise) but this is, like, a real cool one. Thumbs up.

7uHYfG8.jpg

mrkgoo

Some loose thoughts on it, 2 days later:

It's comfortable to use.

The display is amazing.

Battery in this is actually ace. Probably went to went to bed with about or over 50% juice (7am-11pm).

But then again I'm not using it as a smartphone. I don't care about using a apps like Instagram on it and whatnot.

It isn't nearly as slow as I was expecting. Had my expeditions in check but it's zippy enough. Even loading 3rd party apps, I don't find those spinning circles to be that slow. It takes what, one second to load an app. Probably syncing info over bluetooth.

Standing time doesn't seem to be reliable at all but I can't be arsed with its activity gimmicks, or the activity circles, achievements etc. Can be a fun game for people wanting to kickstart some activity but I don't.

Still want it for fitness reasons, from timers to measure distance/pace, to manually log exercises, to measure heart rate, to play music (still need to get a BT headset though), etc.

Nightstand mode is nice, but I have a couple of issues with it:
Shines brighter than I expected (I love full darkness when I sleep) for a bit longer than welcome, and it's a bit cumbersome to palm it when it's standing on the night table, and it easily detaches from the charger. Also, after snoozing the alarm I didn't find a good way of stopping it altogether, without waiting for it to ring again.

Have had a lot of fun with the faces but I'm tending to stick with the modular. Seems to be the best for readability and information density. Can barely quick read an analog face anymore. Besides, sometimes clothes are covering half of the watch, so again it's better to read the modular face (or another digital face with the clock to the right side).

Siri is great on it, but that I expected. Set up timers, play music from Apple Music. Just great.

The way the UI hinges from screen to screen is a bit confusing, and not always logical I think. I'm getting the hang of it, but some choices are eh.

Wish there would be more complications and glances. For example for the remote app. But until then I've tucked it nicely on a corner (I've set up the app screen as an X).

Well that's it I guess. I feel like the watch is very nifty and handy at the right times. It's just not the class of device that you can "go to town" on when you're actively trying to enjoy it, like you can with a phone, a computer, a console etc. You have to let it be, which I think leads to frustration for some that dropped 500+ on a device and have expectations for a certain amount of interaction for that money. It will be useful in its own time. I swear these time puns are not intended.

Anyway I really like it so far. I was craving for a watch as well (was gonna go for a Withings otherwise) but this is, like, a real cool one. Thumbs up.

7uHYfG8.jpg

Really cool impressions.

About spot on with what I experienced in general when I got mine (last year).

Battery life was better than I expected on mine (38mm), but I've had a couple replacements and the battery seems a little worse, so I guess mileage may vary. Note, it still lasts me the day. only time when it may not is if I do a workout - which means I've gone for like a 1-2 hour walk, and it's measuring heart rate the whole time.

Nightstand mode is one of those features that I deride or care not for in a product, but am happy to say I'm wrong and I love it. I have the official Apple wAtch stand, and that thing is ace, pricey, but ace.

Personally, I'm an analogue watch face and I originally used utility, but eventually narrowed down to simple (with no numbers, just a circle, and only 3 complications: activity, digital time, and temperature).

Just curious as to how you find the standing not accurate? Not saying it is, just wondering what is not working for you. Is it saying you're standing when you're not etc?

jts

...hate me...
Really cool impressions.

About spot on with what I experienced in general when I got mine (last year).

Battery life was better than I expected on mine (38mm), but I've had a couple replacements and the battery seems a little worse, so I guess mileage may vary. Note, it still lasts me the day. only time when it may not is if I do a workout - which means I've gone for like a 1-2 hour walk, and it's measuring heart rate the whole time.

Nightstand mode is one of those features that I deride or care not for in a product, but am happy to say I'm wrong and I love it. I have the official Apple wAtch stand, and that thing is ace, pricey, but ace.

Personally, I'm an analogue watch face and I originally used utility, but eventually narrowed down to simple (with no numbers, just a circle, and only 3 complications: activity, digital time, and temperature).

Just curious as to how you find the standing not accurate? Not saying it is, just wondering what is not working for you. Is it saying you're standing when you're not etc?
Yeah I guess in 2 days I haven't fully tested the battery because I haven't even tried the workout feature.

Regarding standing not being accurate, that's exactly it. For example today at 12:40am local time it was saying I had stand up for 5 hours. I put the watch on after 7am, and I sat down for most of my day, so it's way way off.

That official Apple Watch stand looks sweet as hell. I don't want to splurge now, but give it a couple of months and maybe!

As part of its special 4-day sale, Best Buy is taking $200 off a few Stainless Steel Apple Watches and offering free shipping. Eligible models include both sizes (38mm and 42mm) with a Milanese Loop or Black Sport Band. Deals for the 38mm option start at just $349 shipped, which is only $50 more than Apple charges for the Aluminum Sport model. These deals are by far the most dramatic discounts we’ve ever seen for Apple’s wearable.

http://9to5toys.com/2016/04/22/best-buy-sale-apple-watch-stainless-steel/

Majine

Banned
Macrumors said:
Apple today informed developers that starting on June 1, 2016, all watchOS apps submitted to the App Store must be native apps built with the watchOS 2 SDK or later.

When the Apple Watch first launched, watchOS apps were reliant on the iPhone to run on the Apple Watch, but with watchOS 2, Apple introduced support for native apps. With native app support, developers can build apps that are able to run on the Apple Watch, allowing apps to open more quickly and work more smoothly.

Apple's June 1 deadline for native apps hits two weeks before the company's Worldwide Developers Conference, where it is expected to show off new versions of iOS, OS X, watchOS, and tvOS.

Fucking finally.

jts

...hate me...
Tomorrow the local Lidl will carry bluetooth headphones and for 25€ I’m tempted to give them a go. They’re probably crap.

I remember there was some ghetto brand on Amazon/ebay selling some rated as “”decent”” bluetooth headphones for cheap. But completely forgot the name.

Want a cheap entry ticket into the bluetooth headphone game, and we’ll see from there. Especially because there’s a good chance that that market ramps up beginning later this year.

Blackhead

Redarse
A year with the Apple Watch: What works, what doesn’t, and what lies ahead?

ArsTechnica said:
About a year ago, Apple announced and released its first Apple Watch. The long-rumored product was Apple’s first all-new product category since the iPad and its first under CEO Tim Cook. To say that expectations were high would be an understatement...

After a full year of wearing the Apple Watch every single day, it's time to revisit the hardware, software, and some things I looked at in our original review to see where the platform is and where I think it ought to go in the next year or two.

Table of Contents

• Software updates: WatchOS 2.x
  • Hardware updates and subtle repositioning
  • What am I still using/what do I like?
    • It’s a watch
    • I can use it to find my phone
    • Some notifications
    • Setting timers
    • Weather forecasts and other Complications
    • Fitness, kind of?
    • Battery life isn’t a problem
  • What am I not using and why? What are the biggest problems?
    • Siri
    • Texting, e-mail, and other basic communication
    • Heartbeats and drawing and those animated emoji things
      O20ckma.gif
    • Apps
    • Performance and consistency are big issues
  • Hardware re-review: How’s it holding up?
  • Software and hardware wish list
    All of the above should make it clear that I don’t dislike the Apple Watch, but I also don’t think it’s really living up to its full potential. With that in mind,
    • More speed
    • More watch bands that match the non-silver watches
    • Expanded APIs and app capabilities
    • Better fitness features
    • Third-party watch faces
    • More independence
  • The iPhone wasn't built in a day

Also, Ars doesn't mention ApplePay at all in that review. Is anyone using ApplePay on the watch or more so on phone? Are you running into this problem:
Walt Mossberg said:
In my own case, I use my Apple Watch mainly for two and a half things besides telling the time and date...

The half-task? It's using Apple Pay and code-based authentication and payment features like the Starbucks app and electronic plane and train boarding passes. The reason I call this a "half-task" is that half the time, the readers used by merchants for this are configured for phones and the wrist contortions required to use the watch instead aren't worth attempting.

CraigMcD

I have my Superdrug discount card configured as an alternative watch face (because the Stocard app is so slow). It can be really awkward to use at times, because it has to be scanned with the same scanner that operators use to scan the products. It just depends on what side of the counter the till is set up for.

Paying with Apple Pay is fine though.

Top Bottom