• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

aparisi2274

So I finally tried a Nylon band with my personal watch, and it was a really nice fit, but man, I can not justify $50 for it... Apple really needs to rethink their pricing structure... lol

Thinking about finally dipping into the Apple Watch since my OG Pebble is on its last legs. My fear though, come September or whenever their conference is, is a 2nd gen watch rumored to be announced?

Quasar

Disappointed by those minor additions to fitness and health with 3.0

Really wish smartwatches would get some of the rich features even midrange fitness gps watches would get.

Looking at the API documentation for WatchOS3, there's a lot of stuff in here that I wish had been available when I was working on Apple Watch stuff. This is really the level of API that the device should've launched with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Those are some good features! I think there's a blogger who swims in the ocean every morning with the Apple Watch 1 with some swimming app and I think so far he hasn't had an issue.

SuperPac

Those are some good features! I think there's a blogger who swims in the ocean every morning with the Apple Watch 1 with some swimming app and I think so far he hasn't had an issue.

Man, too bad Gurman has kinda faded away with regards to rumors.

Re: Swimming - my wife and I took our watches swimming while on vacation recently and have not had any issue. Well except that once submerged it didn't get any bluetooth connection.

There are quite a few apple podcasts saying "with Watch OS 3 maybe Apple doesn't need to update the hardware" - and I hope they are wrong. I'll always take a faster iPhone/Watch when available. While it may be faster on Watch OS 3, I would upgrade for GPS, waterproofing, and better speed/battery. If they can somehow have an always-on watch face with new hardware and Watch OS 3, I'm in. IN!

Man, too bad Gurman has kinda faded away with regards to rumors.

Re: Swimming - my wife and I took our watches swimming while on vacation recently and have not had any issue. Well except that once submerged it didn't get any bluetooth connection.

There are quite a few apple podcasts saying "with Watch OS 3 maybe Apple doesn't need to update the hardware" - and I hope they are wrong. I'll always take a faster iPhone/Watch when available. While it may be faster on Watch OS 3, I would upgrade for GPS, waterproofing, and better speed/battery. If they can somehow have an always-on watch face with new hardware and Watch OS 3, I'm in. IN!

I know Apple gets a bunch of shit for it's obsession with thinness but I'd be very happy if the next watch was significantly thinner.

SuperPac

I know Apple gets a bunch of shit for it's obsession with thinness but I'd be very happy if the next watch was significantly thinner.

yeah while I'm not bothered by the size now, I would not be bummed if they made it thinner - as long as that doesn't make previous bands incompatible.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be upgrading my watch until it stops working on account of how amazingly costly it is. With tax, apple care, and a second band it was just shy of a grand.

Yeah, Watch is the one product of theirs I want to be thinner.

Re: Gurman he is moving to Bloomberg, starting later this summer. I'm sure he'll be spilling the beans on all the new Sept hardware soon enough.

yeah while I'm not bothered by the size now, I would not be bummed if they made it thinner - as long as that doesn't make previous bands incompatible.

It seems like they could make it considerably thinner while maintaining compatibility with the old bands. Although if they could somehow make it so thin that the old bands couldn't work I'd be ok with it.

mrkgoo

I won't be upgrading my watch until it stops working on account of how amazingly costly it is. With tax, apple care, and a second band it was just shy of a grand.

It's pricey yeah. It's why I made the conscious decision to go cheaper on first gen. Once it's a Nh more mature product then get the actual model is like.

I don't mind the thickness of it at the moment. Could be thinner I guess, but most important is that it has the battery life.

Just one thing to say is they I love the waterproofing. I like knowing I can just rinse it off if I get it dirty. Wish I could do that kind of thing with my other devices!

When the games start in August, the tech company will be selling Apple Watch bands that reference the national flags of 14 major competitors, meaning you can symbolically cheer on Team USA (or Team France, or Team Brazil) every time you get a text message.
Minor detail: You can only get them if you're in Brazil for the games.

http://www.gq.com/story/apple-watch-olympic-bands

Watch42Band-Olympic-Flat-USA-SCREEN.png

Watch42Band-Olympic-Flat-Netherlands-SCREEN.png

Watch42Band-Olympic-Flat-NewZealand-SCREEN.png

Watch42Band-Olympic-Flat-Brazil-SCREEN.png

jts

...hate me...
I find it hard to find original Apple bands on eBay due to all the counterfeits. I mean, there are there but they are scarce.

I'm still just messing with the sport bands but I really don't like the knock-offs compared to the real thing (have one of each). And I think the knock-off I have is supposed the be a good one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What are considered the best third party bands to go with a 42mm space grey sport watch? I think that's my preferred face (well black SS if cost wasn't an issue, but it is), but it only comes with the boring black sport band. Would ideally like a black metal link bracelet or similar.

Quasar

I would, unless theres some great battery breakthru. Its bad enough now. Hell thats my gripe with smart phones. With few exceptions terrible battery life. And its only going to get worse as ar and vr comes into its own.

Its part of why I went with a fitness watch with some smart functionality. It at least gets a week per charge, which is passable.

Based on what though? Assumption because it's been a while? I don't think there have been any concrete leaks n components etc

There's been a number of reports about component purchasing for a launch later this year. It might be announced in Sept and ship later in the year.
I would also expect it to keep the same casing, hence no leaks on that front.

I'm not bothering to wait for the Watch 2 because I'm impatient and WatchOS3 looks to be bringing the improvements I want to see.

Does anyone own the Black Woven Nylon band? How comfortable is it? I'm thinking of snagging the 42mm Sport with that band.

Shearie

I'm not bothering to wait for the Watch 2 because I'm impatient and WatchOS3 looks to be bringing the improvements I want to see.

Does anyone own the Black Woven Nylon band? How comfortable is it? I'm thinking of snagging the 42mm Sport with that band.

I have it and think it looks great and it's very comfortable. The only big negative compared to the Sport Band I have is that it absorbs liquid which makes it uncomfortable when it gets wet, although that doesn't happen very often.

SuperPac

I own the black woven nylon band - it's great. I much prefer it to the sport band because it breathes well and feels much better on my wrist.

Black nylon band is my favorite band. Very comfortable and looks great, and is awesome in the hot weather since it doesn't get sweaty

aparisi2274

I own the black woven nylon band - it's great. I much prefer it to the sport band because it breathes well and feels much better on my wrist.

I wish Apple would've made the black nylon band with silver buckles, so it would pair nicely with the Aluminum sport watch I have...

SuperPac

I wish Apple would've made the black nylon band with silver buckles, so it would pair nicely with the Aluminum sport watch I have...

That'd be great. I really want a more affordable stainless steel band from Apple. I love the look but DANG it's expensive. I'm not willing to drop that kinda coin on that official band...and I don't really wanna grab a knock-off.

aparisi2274

Oddly the black sport band has a silver clasp option even though it is not a default.

I have the black sport band with the silver enhancements and I love it, but I wish the Nylon had silver in it... if it did, I would've purchased it a long time ago.

Apple's supply chain is reportedly expecting the second-generation Apple Watch to debut sometime in September or October, although the company may not be planning a huge launch for its next wearable.

Suppliers are so far seeing "rather conservative" orders for the new model, DigiTimes claimed on Tuesday. The site — which has a mixed record covering Apple hardware — didn't say exactly how many units Apple has in mind, or which suppliers are handling the product.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...s-2nd-gen-apple-watch-in-september-or-october

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there any way to manage notifications by time and/or calendar?

I just bough an Apple Watch so I can get notifications from home while I'm at work (phone is usually in my bag). But I may also find it useful for notifications from work while on the commute home or on some evenings if the project is at a critical phase.

Would be useful to be able to have certain notifications turn on/off based on a schedule.

Also I don't suppose iOS supports going into 'do not disturb' automatically when you have meetings set to 'busy'?

So who else bought Square Enix's SIX DOLLAR Apple Watch game?

I did like a sucker :/

It's basically Rune Blade or Watch Quest combined with story elements like in Lifeline or the Martian but without any choices so far. The visuals are pretty insane, I'm actually trying to figure out how they pulled it off.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm. Bought a 42mm space grey with black sport band because I thought the silver aluminium didn't look great.

But I just noticed the 42mm stainless steel with product red sport band is 'only' £429 which almost seems worth stretching to (although I'd prefer stainless + black sport band)

Edit: hmmm2 - refurb from an eBay storefront of a high street retailer for £330. Used but probably very good condition, plus distance selling regs give me peace of mind..

Edit2: bought a return from PC world eBay store. If it's good condition then it's a stainless steel watch for £330 vs £300 for the standard sport, and the same warranty. Will return the space grey if the stainless steel is a keeper.

Not sure about the produce red sport band though so will probably buy a black sport band instead and sell the red one

mrkgoo

Hmm. Bought a 42mm space grey with black sport band because I thought the silver aluminium didn't look great.

But I just noticed the 42mm stainless steel with product red sport band is 'only' £429 which almost seems worth stretching to (although I'd prefer stainless + black sport band)

Edit: hmmm2 - refurb from an eBay storefront of a high street retailer for £330. Used but probably very good condition, plus distance selling regs give me peace of mind..

Stainless steel would be my preferred, but as it was first gen I figured I'd go the cheaper one until the product matured and when it does THEN get the one I want.

I bought aluminium space grey too. Silver actually works better with more band styles but the black just looks better to me as default. It doesn't work with as many bands though n

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Received my eBay 'open box' SS 42mm with product red band last night. It's basically new but the box has been opened. Original box, everything still with the original protective wrapping on, basically untouched. For £330 that's pretty great. For context that's only £30 more than a new 42mm sport and £180 less than the SS/sport bands are new.
Any UK gaffers have a look at PC world/currys eBay store..

Just checked warranty status and it says until 16 June 2017 so pretty much a full year left (plus being in the uk I should get two years warranty). Not sure I'll bother with AppleCare

I did already buy a space grey sport from the Apple Store last week before seeing this on eBay but I was waiting for this to arrive before comparing them. Well after trying on the stainless steel I haven't even opened the space grey sport and I'll return it this week :)

The product red band is a little bright for me, even though I have a product red iPad cover. So I bought a cheap JETexh black sport band from Amazon for £8 which seems ok so far. Also got a stainless steel band from moko or hoco which I need to adjust before I can try it on - but it looks nice.

mrkgoo

Out of curiosity.... When you log into your Apple ID (either on the website or going to settings and iCloud on yor iOS device), you Can see which devices you are logged in to.

But does anyone else's give an in-updated version of their Apple Watch? I edited my Apple Watch name and also updated it to latest but on that list, it still says the original name and an older version of the watchOS (it says 2.2, but I have 2.2.2). My other devices are ok.

Just wondering f I have an issue or if it's just the way they have programmed the watch (like maybe it logs in only when you pair to activate activation lock and then doesn't try again, hence never updating Te details).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any tips on setup and good apps? I want to keep it fairly minimal - no sound and just haptics for notification screening mostly. There are so many different menus in the watch app.

I don't want to get spammed with notifications for all incoming emails but would like to be notified of important ones. But I use inbox which means limited granularity. Should I use rules or something else to forward important people to mail where I can flag them as vip?

Complications is something I need to experiment with too, so any recommendations there would be gratefully received

Chittagong

Gold Member
Any tips on setup and good apps? I want to keep it fairly minimal - no sound and just haptics for notification screening mostly. There are so many different menus in the watch app.

I don't want to get spammed with notifications for all incoming emails but would like to be notified of important ones. But I use inbox which means limited granularity. Should I use rules or something else to forward important people to mail where I can flag them as vip?

Complications is something I need to experiment with too, so any recommendations there would be gratefully received

Wouldn't bother using apps at all to be honest, using them is a pain - slow performance and cumbersome access from main menu. Default notifications from BBC, Al Jazeera, RT, CNN and Bloomberg are nice to get a heads up and read news on your phone.

Not sure about selective mail notifications, I just check the inbox occasionally, but often it's better done on the phone.

Complications - temperature, sunset/sunrise, date and calendar event are my choices.

Top Bottom