• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

mrkgoo

Yeah I guess in 2 days I haven't fully tested the battery because I haven't even tried the workout feature.

Regarding standing not being accurate, that's exactly it. For example today at 12:40am local time it was saying I had stand up for 5 hours. I put the watch on after 7am, and I sat down for most of my day, so it's way way off.

That official Apple Watch stand looks sweet as hell. I don't want to splurge now, but give it a couple of months and maybe!

The reason I ask about the standing accuracy is because it doesn't actually measure how long you stand. It just checks off whether you've stood for atleast 1 minutes within that hour. The point is that sitting all the time is not healthy so it checks off that you've stood for at least 1 minute for that hour (I assume on the :00 o'clock to the next).

It's not constantly recordings how long you've stood for.

To my knowledge.

jts

...hate me...
The reason I ask about the standing accuracy is because it doesn't actually measure how long you stand. It just checks off whether you've stood for atleast 1 minutes within that hour. The point is that sitting all the time is not healthy so it checks off that you've stood for at least 1 minute for that hour (I assume on the :00 o'clock to the next).

It's not constantly recordings how long you've stood for.

To my knowledge.
Ohhhh

Alright. I got the feature all wrong. I thought it was strange it somehow wanted me to stand up for 12 hours a day but you never know, haha. Sorry and thanks!

I'm not sure cellular is something I actually care about in a smart watch anymore. Give me a faster and thinner watch with better battery life.

I'm not sure cellular is something I actually care about in a smart watch anymore. Give me a faster and thinner watch with better battery life.

yeah, cell isn't something i really care about for the Apple Watch. At home/office, i'd use wifi and out and about i'd always take my phone anyway.

I hope they do it like iPads and have two models with/without cellular. I always have my iPhone and Apple Wacth with me at the same time so giving the watch its own cellular chip and potentially raising the price does nothing for me, especially since adding a cellular chip to an iPad raises the cost by over $100.

Faster and better battery, all about it.

I wonder though, if they give the Apple Watch a cellular chip so it can work without an iPhone, would that mean putting apps and updates on it wouldn't require the painfully slow as fuck Bluetooth transfer from the phone? Would the Watch then get its own connection to iCloud for backups? How would you manage settings and apps with such a small and limited screen, I imagine it would have to pair with SOMETHING.

Apple Watch compatability coming to Mac, PC and Android confirmed.

I hope it's something where it just uses a cellular chip for when the phone isn't around, so that you can still take and make calls and probably GPS ability. That might make it cooler for runs and hikes if you can take just your watch and still use it to communicate if need be.

and yes, it should just be an option like on the iPads.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cellular is a nice and inevitable option, but the only time I'm without my phone is when jogging or exceptionally quick trips to the liqour store.

The sluggishnesh is 20% of the watches problems but 80% is OS itself softwar. I've worn the watch everyday since I got it (nearly a year) and while I love having a smart watch I do think watchOS is unimpressive. Bad, even.

I'm happy with my watch but only because theres nothing better not becuase its goods.

Gobbly

Banned
Ever since getting the Apple Watch last year I've always thought there is a hypothetical yet unlikely evolution of the product that really excites me. You have your watch on you at all times, right? So with cellular support you'd never miss a call or text. You could then have iPhones that are basically iPod touches without cell support, Apple can make them even thinner/smaller to fuel that obsession.

Go for a walk and don't take any device except your watch and you know you're still contactable. If you're at home and get a call you can answer it on your watch/iPad/Mac like you can now, but you can now do this when out and about without having to have wifi or your iPodTouchPhone with you.

The infrastructure is already there, it just needs the watch to be the cellular 'brain' instead of the iPhone and for Watch Apps to be truly native. Only problem outside of battery life is Apple would likely not risk making it's main income supply (the iPhone) a less desirable product by doing this. It's the dream for me, though.

Cellular is a nice and inevitable option, but the only time I'm without my phone is when jogging or exceptionally quick trips to the liqour store.

The sluggishnesh is 20% of the watches problems but 80% is OS itself softwar. I've worn the watch everyday since I got it (nearly a year) and while I love having a smart watch I do think watchOS is unimpressive. Bad, even.

I'm happy with my watch but only because theres nothing better not becuase its goods.

My biggest problem with watchOS, besides how slow it feels launching third party apps, is that I think the app selector is garbage. I never remember where any of my apps are and scrolling around looking for them isn't fun. On top of that it's annoying moving apps to exactly where you want them.

Blackhead

Redarse
especially since adding a cellular chip to an iPad raises the cost by over $100.
it raises the price not the cost. The actual cost to Apple is marginal and perhaps it might be worth including without an additional prize hike if Apple envisions the feature as core to the future watch experience

Perhaps Applewatch is better than other alternatives just for iPhone but, if you only use the Applewatch for notifications and fitness, I actually think Pebble+Fitbit might be the easier to use setup. Frankly watchOS is worse than Pebble, Androidwear and even Samsung's Tizen watch OS.

Apple's watchOS right now reminds me of most of Android Gingerbread i.e. watchOS has a lot of features and uses (and running on a device with the highest specs?) but the UX makes me not want to use the device at all.

More one year retrospectives on the Apple Watch:

Apple Watch, One Year In | Daisuke Wakabayashi, WSJ

My God-Awful Year With the Apple Watch | Casey Chan, gizmodo

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I actually do use third party apps. Soundcloud is great when it decides to play nice. Dark skies works solidly. I use the music features all the time! I have a Bluetooth dongle plugged into a tape adaptor in my car so I'm always wirelessly controlling the audio while my phone is in backpack. I use Pinner, an app for the pinboard bookmarking service to curate news stories throughout the day
while in the bathroom
. There's an amazing amount of things the watch does that fits right into my schedule. Buts it's still pretty annoying.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest problem with watchOS, besides how slow it feels launching third party apps, is that I think the app selector is garbage. I never remember where any of my apps are and scrolling around looking for them isn't fun. On top of that it's annoying moving apps to exactly where you want them.
That thing Is the worst

I really like my Watch for the same reason this guy hates his, most notifications I get aren't immediately important. I like being able to glance at a text or email and see whether it's something I need to respond to now or something that can wait. That and being able to see my schedule without pulling out my phone are worth having it to me (granted I bought it when it was pretty heavily discounted at Best Buy).

jts

...hate me...
Ever since getting the Apple Watch last year I've always thought there is a hypothetical yet unlikely evolution of the product that really excites me. You have your watch on you at all times, right? So with cellular support you'd never miss a call or text. You could then have iPhones that are basically iPod touches without cell support, Apple can make them even thinner/smaller to fuel that obsession.

Go for a walk and don't take any device except your watch and you know you're still contactable. If you're at home and get a call you can answer it on your watch/iPad/Mac like you can now, but you can now do this when out and about without having to have wifi or your iPodTouchPhone with you.

The infrastructure is already there, it just needs the watch to be the cellular 'brain' instead of the iPhone and for Watch Apps to be truly native. Only problem outside of battery life is Apple would likely not risk making it's main income supply (the iPhone) a less desirable product by doing this. It's the dream for me, though.
Cellular service doesn't fix lack of keyboard, awkwardness talking on speakerphone on your watch (and ergonomy/comfort), battery issues, not to mention that to have cellular connectivity on your phone (where you can actually use apps or browse online etc) you'd need to be tethered to your watch and that would cause all sorts of issues, from inefficiency, to actual impossibility due to battery limitations.

Nope. I want my cellphone always with native celular service, not part of a hellish device tandem.

Blackhead

Redarse

Have you heard of the Neptune Pine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZix18zVAE

There are already chinese standalone cellular 'Apple Watches' running Android. The technology is possible.
jKChoj7s.jpg

oTYvYn1s.jpg
jts already covered many of the problems (the main one is battery life) so I'll leave it at that

I really like my Watch for the same reason this guy hates his, most notifications I get aren't immediately important. I like being able to glance at a text or email and see whether it's something I need to respond to now or something that can wait. That and being able to see my schedule without pulling out my phone are worth having it to me (granted I bought it when it was pretty heavily discounted at Best Buy).
here's the criticism encapsulated:
Fabrizio Rinaldi said:
but yeah, I agree with you, ClayKavalier, and prefer to manage my notifications in the best way possible instead of turning them off

More one year round up:

12 reasons I still wear my Apple Watch every day | Macworld
5 reasons I still wear the Apple Watch and 5 things I wish Apple would improve | MobileSyrup

A Flop Unlike Any Other
Michael Tsai said:

Jason Snell
Still no official Apple Watch sales, but last quarter it “Met Expectations” - and Cook says it’ll be seasonal

8aBe7k9.jpg

it raises the price not the cost. The actual cost to Apple is marginal and perhaps it might be worth including without an additional prize hike if Apple envisions the feature as core to the future watch experience
It's spelled priCe, actually.

Did you and everyone else know what I meant? When I walk into a store and say "how much does this cost" then that's the cost. The cost to me, the consumer. Adding a cellular chip potentially raises what it will cost me to buy it. That is some serious hair splitting you're doing.

But to have an actual real discussion about your point - you could be right but I honestly don't see them including it at no additional charge to customers. If for no other reason than that they'd have to shrink the chip considerably to fit it in an already insanely small space and the rule of thumb for technology is the smaller you make something the more expensive it is. I'd love to be wrong and maybe I will be, but I will be very surprised. Every other device Apple makes that has a cellular chip in it is priced about $120-130 more than the non-cellular model and there is literally no precedence for them not to pass the additional cost, however insignificant it is to them, on to us. It's not like the cost of buying an iPad with cellular has come down over the past ~5 years they've been around, and that's just using the same old chip or one with negligible changes. This one they'd have to make practically microscopic to fit, especially if the reports of the next Apple Watch being thinner come true.

I gotta admit I'm kind of glad to not be developing for Apple Watch anymore. Just a nightmarish developer experience.

here's the criticism encapsulated:

but yeah, I agree with you, ClayKavalier, and prefer to manage my notifications in the best way possible instead of turning them off

Haha, that's a great analogy.

The thing is though, it's not quite as simple as quoting smoking (not to belittle that, it's just different). I need to be available through email for my work. In case of emergency I like to be in contact with my wife. It's not like I can quit technology cold turkey and not carry a phone with me, or ignore it for large portions of the day.

It's true that it's in part a lack of willpower that makes the Watch appealing to me. For example, I have about a half hour commute by bus every day. I always have a book or newspaper with me and always mean to read during my commute, but about half the time I used to get a phone notification and check it in case it was something important. Usually it wasn't. Since my phone is already out, might as well check Facebook. Might as well see what's going on on the first page of GAF. Oh man, commute's half over now, may as well dick around on my phone the whole time.

With the Watch if the notification isn't important my phone doesn't leave my pocket. So yeah, I can see how some people would find it ridiculous but for me it's like having my cake and eating it too, I'm always constantly reachable but I don't have the same temptation to waste time.

SonnyBoy

Haha, that's a great analogy.

The thing is though, it's not quite as simple as quoting smoking (not to belittle that, it's just different). I need to be available through email for my work. In case of emergency I like to be in contact with my wife. It's not like I can quit technology cold turkey and not carry a phone with me, or ignore it for large portions of the day.

It's true that it's in part a lack of willpower that makes the Watch appealing to me. For example, I have about a half hour commute by bus every day. I always have a book or newspaper with me and always mean to read during my commute, but about half the time I used to get a phone notification and check it in case it was something important. Usually it wasn't. Since my phone is already out, might as well check Facebook. Might as well see what's going on on the first page of GAF. Oh man, commute's half over now, may as well dick around on my phone the whole time.

With the Watch if the notification isn't important my phone doesn't leave my pocket. So yeah, I can see how some people would find it ridiculous but for me it's like having my cake and eating it too, I'm always constantly reachable but I don't have the same temptation to waste time.

I've found this to be the case for myself also. It keeps me off of my phone but still connected.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's spelled priCe, actually.

Did you and everyone else know what I meant? When I walk into a store and say "how much does this cost" then that's the cost. The cost to me, the consumer. Adding a cellular chip potentially raises what it will cost me to buy it. That is some serious hair splitting you're doing.

But to have an actual real discussion about your point - you could be right but I honestly don't see them including it at no additional charge to customers. If for no other reason than that they'd have to shrink the chip considerably to fit it in an already insanely small space and the rule of thumb for technology is the smaller you make something the more expensive it is. I'd love to be wrong and maybe I will be, but I will be very surprised. Every other device Apple makes that has a cellular chip in it is priced about $120-130 more than the non-cellular model and there is literally no precedence for them not to pass the additional cost, however insignificant it is to them, on to us. It's not like the cost of buying an iPad with cellular has come down over the past ~5 years they've been around, and that's just using the same old chip or one with negligible changes. This one they'd have to make practically microscopic to fit, especially if the reports of the next Apple Watch being thinner come true.
You're mostly likely right :(
I gotta admit I'm kind of glad to not be developing for Apple Watch anymore. Just a nightmarish developer experience.
Even Gruber taking shots - Games for Apple Watch:
Some days my best material is on Twitter.
Did you know there are games for Apple Watch? My favorite: launching any app and seeing if anything other than a spinner appears on screen.​

The Apple Watch did not change the Apple Store like we thought it would
Washington Post said:
It was just over a year ago that the Apple Watch was slated to be unveiled, and the Internet rumor and analysis machine was running in overdrive: Wall Street-types weighed in on whether the new gadget could propel the world’s most valuable company to greater revenue and an even higher stock price. Tech geeks were chattering about the nitty-gritty of its features, and culture mavens debated whether it would become a game changer like the iPod or iPhone before it.

And in the retail world, the major question was this: Would the arrival of a product that was not just a gadget, but also a luxury fashion item, push Apple to shake up its successful store format?

The root of the speculation, or at least, the primary fuel for it, was a single paragraph in a New Yorker profile of Apple’s design chief, Jonathan Ive. In that story it was reported that Ive and Angela Ahrendts, Apple’s senior vice president of retail, were working on a redesign of Apple stores, perhaps to make the setting more conducive to selling a luxury timepiece. The story noted that Ive had “overheard someone saying, ‘I’m not going to buy a watch if I can’t stand on carpet.’ ”

And so analysts — and reporters, including this one — began wondering...
does the Apple Store still do the apple watch tryouts and hands-on? I've keep meaning to drop by and try on the black nylon and black milanese loop but last time I was there nobody was around the watch area...

does the Apple Store still do the apple watch tryouts and hands-on? I've keep meaning to drop by and try on the black nylon and black milanese loop but last time I was there nobody was around the watch area...

Yep, they do. Just walk in and say you want to try on the new bands

How nightmarish?

Well for starters testing on hardware is just ugh. You gotta transfer over your app via bluetooth obviously and that takes forever and is prone to random disconnects and sometimes after waiting on a transfer the debugger just quits with no error messages or warnings and you're left hoping that something in the device logs is meaningful.

Between Watchkit and Healthkit I felt like I was constantly saying "Apple won't let us do that" to my bosses.

Synching data between the watch and phone actually got more complicated with WatchOS2 and I think is a big reason people didn't jump on to WatchOS2 right away, because the most popular method sfor doing stuff (Wormhole and NSUserDefaults) got completely shut down.

Almost every major third party API we used didn't migrate to WatchOS2 and had no announced timelines for when they would. So good by automated crash reporting, and metrics etc etc.

Refreshing a table view is so clunky and basically requires you to completely rebuild it before your app is fully active, and obviously if you take too long to make this happen then the app quits, but there's nothing that says how long is too long or how big is too big etc. Everything is a vague guessing game and there are no tools for profiling.

Even Gruber taking shots - Games for Apple Watch:

Yeah, I worked on a game for the Apple Watch, and we spent more time on the Phone app than the Watch App. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with more Watch centric ideas, but the reality is the device isn't good for apps of any kind, let alone games. It's a Fitbit with a nicer screen, worse battery and the ability to act as an RSS feed.

Although if you're really enterprising you can run Windows 95 on it!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well for starters testing on hardware is just ugh. You gotta transfer over your app via bluetooth obviously and that takes forever and is prone to random disconnects and sometimes after waiting on a transfer the debugger just quits with no error messages or warnings and you're left hoping that something in the device logs is meaningful.

Between Watchkit and Healthkit I felt like I was constantly saying "Apple won't let us do that" to my bosses.

Synching data between the watch and phone actually got more complicated with WatchOS2 and I think is a big reason people didn't jump on to WatchOS2 right away, because the most popular method sfor doing stuff (Wormhole and NSUserDefaults) got completely shut down.

Almost every major third party API we used didn't migrate to WatchOS2 and had no announced timelines for when they would. So good by automated crash reporting, and metrics etc etc.

Refreshing a table view is so clunky and basically requires you to completely rebuild it before your app is fully active, and obviously if you take too long to make this happen then the app quits, but there's nothing that says how long is too long or how big is too big etc. Everything is a vague guessing game and there are no tools for profiling.

Yeah, I worked on a game for the Apple Watch, and we spent more time on the Phone app than the Watch App. I spent a lot of time trying to come up with more Watch centric ideas, but the reality is the device isn't good for apps of any kind, let alone games. It's a Fitbit with a nicer screen, worse battery and the ability to act as an RSS feed.

Although if you're really enterprising you can run Windows 95 on it!

Wow, that does sound bad. I'm surprised, since it's Apple's new hotness, they understand the value of development etc. Maybe they lost faith on the watch too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wow, that does sound bad. I'm surprised, since it's Apple's new hotness, they understand the value of development etc. Maybe they lost faith on the watch too.
I can confirm most of what he's saying. While I don't agree that the watch is not good for any apps or games (and IMO if you stick with 2-3 apps in regular circulation, you won't see them load ever) there are problems with the development and code execution on the watch that makes me glad I could develop something on it at my own pace, instead of having to explain things to some boss that would sound like an unbelievable excuse after an excuse. To say something more about Watch OS 2 connectivity protocol - I don't think it's difficult to use, but it's buggy, and it's only gotten worse in 2.2. You need to add weird workarounds to make this protocol more reliable, and I hate that such things are necessary, but they are.

I really wish Apple never released app support with Watch OS1, that they waited until OS2 was good and ready (and they should have cooked it more than they did) and launched 3rd party app support then. They wasted time with OS1 app support, and OS2 reliability suffered for it. And now they're stuck supporting two shaky code platforms instead of a single stable one.

Blackhead

Redarse

Blackhead

Redarse
Jony Ive Shares Thoughts on Design, Fashion and Apple Watch in Met Gala Interview
Macrumors said:
Business of Fashion asked Ive about his future plans for the Apple Watch and while he refused to give specifics, he hinted that there could be some dramatic changes in store based on Apple's general product release philosophy. He said the Apple Watch is a "natural" category for Apple and that the company thinks about it in a non-opportunistic, "authentic" way.
It's quite interesting that if you look back at the first generation of the iPod or the Phone -- what happens in the next two, three, four years is dramatic. You'd be very surprised about some of the things you would absolutely assume that the first Phone did and it didn't have. [...]

I personally love products when they're at this level of maturity," Ive said of the Apple Watch. "You know we can't talk about future products, but if you look at what we typically do is that we don't make something and stop.​

Also at the Gala:

It would be nice if it could sort of 'clone' the cell information from your iphone so that it is the same cell phone plan. It already 'clones' the connection information from your local wifi for the house to your Watch. Kind of doubt the AT&Ts would go for that but who knows.

I know I'd rather just not pay for the cellular radio. Offer multiple skus like iPads.

Phreaker

No problem for Apple fans.

Hahah, apparently not. I have a friend who was going to get a new iPad and he said, "I really want one with cell service this time." I said, "Why, you've already enabled tethering on your iPhone, which you always have on you, why not just connect to it if you are not in a WiFi area?" He said, "Oh, I hadn't even thought to do that."

I'm certainly not "cheap", but I don't like wasting money either. It's a rare occasion when my watch is not within wireless reach of my iPhone.

It would be nice if it could sort of 'clone' the cell information from your iphone so that it is the same cell phone plan. It already 'clones' the connection information from your local wifi for the house to your Watch. Kind of doubt the AT&Ts would go for that but who knows.

Now that would be great and makes sense, so I don't expect it. ha

Quasar

Now THAT would be a massive, must-have upgrade. Combine that with acceptable snappiness and HR tracking that actually works, and we start to have a killer device.

Didnt know it didnt work.

Its interest to how its gone.

I'm someone who was never interested in em generally...I think because I'm an adults whose never owned a watch.

But having now taken to exercise and other health related activities I'm finally interested in a wearable, and yet its not Apple or AndroidWear I'm looking to its folks like garmin. Now if only I could get a smartwatch from apple or androidwear which had the featureset of say Garmins Fenix 3.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with how smartwatch makers are competing with gps watch makers like Garmin. And of course also annoyed Garmin hasnt adopted androidwear for devices.

Moreche

I have been looking at buying a space black stainless steel by when I check the serial numbers they all seem to be around August 15.
I am taking this as Apple made enough supply and the demand hasn't required anymore to be made.
But what would the battery's on these be like?

jts

...hate me...
I have been looking at buying a space black stainless steel by when I check the serial numbers they all seem to be around August 15.
I am taking this as Apple made enough supply and the demand hasn't required anymore to be made.
Would be fine I'm sure. I bought recently an Apple Watch 42mm (sports) used, although pristine. Battery is just top notch. Since it's the weekend it stayed a bit longer on the charger Saturday morning, but I haven't charged it since and it's sitting at 28% battery by Sunday 9pm.

SuperPac

Battery hasn't been a concern for me. I usually end the day with more than 40% left. And I've had the watch since may 2015.

mrkgoo

When I bought my first one around September last year, it came completely dead. I nearly thought it was DOA out of the box. It needed a good 15 minutes on charger before it even showed anything new on screen. I took this to mean it was in inventory for a long time and lost charge completely.

Once charged though it was a champ battery life wise.

Since however, I've had two replacements and my latest seems like it has less battery but my circumstances have changed in that I'm wearing it more and it's on a later OS so it's hard to pinpoint where the problem lies. It still gives me a whole day though. More like instead of ending at 40% I end at 28%.

Like, I've been up since 6am. It's 9:30 now. I took it off for around 30 minutes. So with 3 hours of wear time it has gone down 6%.

jts

...hate me...
Not in the UK. Still requires a Nano-Sim. That's the brand new 9.7" Pro.
Not according to the specs. Just like the American model it has a nano-SIM tray to bring your own nano-SIM if you want, but also has the embedded Apple SIM.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I've had my watch for a year now and the amount of times it died prematurely was less than 10. So few that It could have been me not noticing the charger wasn't plugged in or (what I suspect) some runaway apps chewing through the battery.

I haven't noticed any degradation, interesting some people have experienced that.

mrkgoo

I've had my watch for a year now and the amount of times it died prematurely was less than 10. So few that It could have been me not noticing the charger wasn't plugged in or (what I suspect) some runaway apps chewing through the battery.

I haven't noticed any degradation, interesting some people have experienced that.

Use cases vary. If you actually use the workout feature it's possible you may run out as the duration of the workout it uses the green light heart monitor (to my knowledge) which chews more power than the infrared background one it uses for regular use.

I have a feeling battery life drains more quickly if you go out of range of your phone for long periods because I bet it boosts radios if it's not connected, be it wifi or just Bluetooth.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've gone on a lot of extended bike rides and am a jogger. It's possible the days it died on me I was just a little more active.

It's really neat looking back through a years worth of fitness/health information. I can see all my bike commute times to work etc.

I guess I'm that post above I should have qualified the times it died with "unexpectedly." There's definitely been times I've been running BT audio from it and doing a cycling workout for a few hours and had it die right then and there.. But that was a rare occasion and I almost tried to kill it by leaving the music all open on the screen to control songs etc.

Top Bottom