• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ari Aster's "Beau Is Affraid" getting rave reviews

Bartski

Gold Member
8LaV5nJ.jpg

ZIGv2mj.jpg

hLtXpt9.jpg

VUV1VsY.jpg

9X2L6bA.jpg

bonus:

Now I'm off to check when it's airing in a theater nearby, haven't done that in a while

Last edited:
Nothing I love more than a creator letting loose and disregarding the audience’s precious sensibilities. Oh waaaah give me a simple story that a child can follow, I don’t want to think or feel anything uncomfortable. Haven’t seen the thing, but now it’s got my attention.

DKehoe

Nothing I love more than a creator letting loose and disregarding the audience’s precious sensibilities. Oh waaaah give me a simple story that a child can follow, I don’t want to think or feel anything uncomfortable. Haven’t seen the thing, but now it’s got my attention.

Yeh reading people talking about this has made me curious to see it. Fuck this attitude that the artist has some obligation to give the audience what they want. Give me what you think is interesting.

Doom85

RT critics have it at 74% and audiences are at 86%. Seems like a bunch of people expecting the film to be straightforward when it was never meant to be. Don’t show up to a David Lynch film and expect a John Woo film. Nothing wrong with either, and both have their place.

Also, that guy who yelled at people not to clap is a total basic bitch. If people enjoyed the film, they can express that at the end, anyone who gets in their face for that needs to fuck off hard.

Can't wait to see it! Been looking forward to this since I saw Midsommar. Obviously back then I didn't know what it would be but still I was excited so see what Ari Aster done next.

The movie was originally going to be called "Disappointment Boulevard" so maybe that would have been a better name! /s

I have no idea when this is out in the UK but I know I'll be there day 1 like Hereditary and Midsommar. Seeing both those movies in cinema was an amazing experience.

Edit: bbfc is saying 19th May for UK.

Last edited:
Will say this in every a24 thread; a24 has like 1 good movie under there belt, everything else has been shit
:messenger_pouting:

Lol seriously? You can have an opinion but c'mon.

Ginger & Rosa
Bling Ring
Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
Room
The Witch
The Lobster
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
It Comes at Night
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Eighth Grade
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Whale

And that's just the ones I've seen. Either you have shitty taste or are trolling lol. How can you say they have only made 1 good movie? That's crazy.

dorkimoe

Ginger & Rosa
Bling Ring
Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
Room
The Witch
The Lobster
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
It Comes at Night
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Eighth Grade
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
The Whale

And that's just the ones I've seen. Either you have shitty taste or are trolling lol. How can you say they have only made 1 good movie? That's crazy.
I should rephrase to of the ones I have seen. I have seen probably 6-7? which isnt a lot in the grand scheme of things but all but one sucked ass.
It comes at night - terrible
hereditary - terrible
uncut gems- fine
ex machine- meh
ghost story- boring
everything everywhere- great
room- didnt finish

I should rephrase to of the ones I have seen. I have seen probably 6-7? which isnt a lot in the grand scheme of things but all but one sucked ass.
It comes at night - terrible
hereditary - terrible
uncut gems- fine
ex machine- meh
ghost story- boring
everything everywhere- great
room- didnt finish
Alright, to be fair I did think some of those were weak but still enjoyable. If I had to cut that list down to ones I really liked then it'd be

Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
The Witch
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
The Whale

Doom85

Alright, to be fair I did think some of those were weak but still enjoyable. If I had to cut that list down to ones I really liked then it'd be

Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
The Witch
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
The Whale

If you haven’t seen X’s prequel “Pearl”, I highly recommend it. Great character writing, and Mia Goth, who already did great in her dual roles in X, absolutely kills it in the titular role especially in the final ten minutes of the film. Apparently the studio chose not to submit the film for Oscar nominations, but my salty side can’t help but suspect they knew the Oscars refuse to give any notice to films in the horror/slasher genres (Silence of the Lambs and Get Out I think managed to overcome this bias obstacle due to being seen as more belonging in the thriller genre to some) and it sucks because Mia Goth absolutely deserved a nomination (and the film could have gotten a few technical nominations, it does a great job capturing the Technicolor era of cinema).

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
The Witch
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
The Whale
Under the Skin, The Witch, Blackcoat's daughter, It Comes At Night, Saint Maud, Lamb and X are my favorites

Fools idol

Banned
The film is a dark comedy, it's not a horror film at all and it doesn't try to be. There are horror-esque like moments and disturbing imagery throughout but it isn't scripted and constructed as a horror film if that makes sense.

It's a clear departure from his usual films. While I don't think it's his best (Hereditary still holds that candle in my opinion), it is a great film in it's own right. The character of Beau is acted so well by Jo-Phe that I tip my hat to the guy for making a believable lunatic.

I have never seen a film so twisted and deeply disturbing but manage to be hilarious at the same time. None. For that alone, it deserves credit.

Imagine the effect of no orgasm or masturbation your entire life and then how much regret and guilt it harbours on your mental health.

Imagine if Jacob's ladder, Cuckoo's nest (Nicholson) and Suspiria had a three-way baby.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Hereditary was good for how it made some viewers go out of their way to tell others how really, really not scared they were over and over again.

Midsommar, too, in a different way.

This movie seems well aimed and has a finger on a trigger.

Sonik

Ginger & Rosa
Bling Ring
Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
Room
The Witch
The Lobster
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
It Comes at Night
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Eighth Grade
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
The Whale

The Witch
Midsommar
Green Knight
Ex Machina
The Lighthouse
X

are boring, pointless and extremely pretentious. Hereditary is good, Under the Skin is interesting but not very good, The Whale was pretty fucking forgettable and mediocre and Everything Everywhere All At Once is great. That's all the movies I've watched, most of the rest I avoided because I know what I would be getting into.

A24 is the Marvel of snobbish Hollywood, most of the shit they do are bland but good looking, full of pointless allegory but no substance or good story and characters. What the fuck was the point of Green Knight? What was the story there other than the fucking allegories and references to other sources?

RAÏSanÏa

Wow, now i want to see it. Cant be worse than Thor 4 can it?
Is that the last movie you watched? The comparison is odd.

If the comic book coma induced people talk shit about this movie it probably means it’s amazing.

It's hilarious how powerfully Marvel films get into some heads that it becomes the lens through which they view everything. The slightest bit of agitation and the pressure of it discharges in misdirected rage.

RAÏSanÏa

are boring, pointless and extremely pretentious. Hereditary is good, Under the Skin is interesting but not very good, The Whale was pretty fucking forgettable and mediocre and Everything Everywhere All At Once is great. That's all the movies I've watched, most of the rest I avoided because I know what I would be getting into.

A24 is the Marvel of snobbish Hollywood, most of the shit they do are bland but good looking, full of pointless allegory but no substance or good story and characters. What the fuck was the point of Green Knight? What was the story there other than the fucking allegories and references to other sources?
Syncretism?

DKehoe

Ginger & Rosa
Bling Ring
Under the Skin
Life After Beth
Ex Machina
Room
The Witch
The Lobster
Swiss Army Man
Into the Forest
The Blackcoat's Daughter
It Comes at Night
A Ghost Story
Lady Bird
Hereditary
Eighth Grade
Midsommar
The Lighthouse
Uncut Gems
Saint Maud
Green Knight
Lamb
The Tragedy of MacBeth
X
The Whale

I'd also recommend Aftersun, my favourite film from last year

MHubert

The film is a dark comedy, it's not a horror film at all and it doesn't try to be. There are horror-esque like moments and disturbing imagery throughout but it isn't scripted and constructed as a horror film if that makes sense.

It's a clear departure from his usual films. While I don't think it's his best (Hereditary still holds that candle in my opinion), it is a great film in it's own right. The character of Beau is acted so well by Jo-Phe that I tip my hat to the guy for making a believable lunatic.

I have never seen a film so twisted and deeply disturbing but manage to be hilarious at the same time. None. For that alone, it deserves credit.

Imagine the effect of no orgasm or masturbation your entire life and then how much regret and guilt it harbours on your mental health.

Imagine if Jacob's ladder, Cuckoo's nest (Nicholson) and Suspiria had a three-way baby.
Um, what?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Is that the last movie you watched? The comparison is odd.
I realize the comparison is absurd but that's just my MO. I'm huge fan of A24 and Ari. The last film I watched at the cinema was Crimes of The Future and the last film I watched at home was Skinamarink.

Last edited:
If you haven’t seen X’s prequel “Pearl”, I highly recommend it. Great character writing, and Mia Goth, who already did great in her dual roles in X, absolutely kills it in the titular role especially in the final ten minutes of the film. Apparently the studio chose not to submit the film for Oscar nominations, but my salty side can’t help but suspect they knew the Oscars refuse to give any notice to films in the horror/slasher genres (Silence of the Lambs and Get Out I think managed to overcome this bias obstacle due to being seen as more belonging in the thriller genre to some) and it sucks because Mia Goth absolutely deserved a nomination (and the film could have gotten a few technical nominations, it does a great job capturing the Technicolor era of cinema).
I haven't seen it yet but it's on my list. I wanted to watch it after I saw X but couldn't find a way to watch it. I'll have a look again now.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
As a fan of slasher movies, it's nice that we've reached the point where one can be called pretentious.

Pearl > X though.
Guy might be one of those stuck in the 80's slasher fans you know Michael and Jason and their ilk so he doesn't appreciate a non shlocky slasher.

Fools idol

Banned
despite these supposed 'career ending' hyperbolic tweets, the meta review score has actually gone up over the weekend to 7.8/10 average which is currently higher than any of Ari Asters previous movies.

Pretty funny how a loud a vocal minority can be at times.

Several celebrities that went to screenings also made instagram stories about how much they enjoyed the film, some calling it a masterpiece, others saying it's Phoenix' best role ever. Not surprise, and I don't agree entirely having seen it myself BUT it is up there.

Last edited:

CGNoire

God these fucking "critics" are insufferable. No one gives a shit whether you liked it or not. We just want to know if the "target audience" will enjoy it or not?

Wheres Ebert when you need him?

Last edited:

Sonik

As a fan of slasher movies, it's nice that we've reached the point where one can be called pretentious.

Pearl > X though.

I like slasher movies too, this wasn't a slasher movie, more like a tedious, pointless movie full of pretentious themes about sexuality and aging with some extremely lame slasher movie scenes at the end.

Fools idol

Banned
God these fucking "critics" are insufferable. No one gives a shit whether you liked it or not. We just want to know if the "target audience" will enjoy it or not?

Wheres Ebert when you need him?

Man, Ebert was one of the fucking worst ego ever

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I haven’t seen this movie but just to add to the dumbing down of society.

A movie like Casablanca would be over the heads of most people today.
Movies are made in waves of emotion now with little in the way of subtle metaphors or layered emotions.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So many spicy takes in here. Particularly about MIDSOMMAR (nowhere near as good as HEREDITARY but still an awesome version of "GET OUT" but for millennials).

Did see the three hour run time for BEAU and raised an eyebrow, but after Ari's two latest I'm down for the ride.

Top Bottom