• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON – Gameplay Preview Trailer Dropping Tomorrow

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Shill Up made me buy Rollerdrome and I couldn't play it for more than 3 hours before dropping it.

It's ironic when he's more critical, he gets shit on though lol. I've never lined up with all his opinions, but some of them I do. He was one of the only reviewers to point out multiple issues with FFXVI too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He gives a disclaimer that this isn't a soul like and should be compared to souls like games but then straight up compared to souls games for 20 minutes. How many times this guy contradicts himself..
I noticed that too. Maybe it’s him and not the game. The game’s ambiance is very subjective. Some people like myself, enjoy a somewhat bleak atmosphere if it sets the mood and it’s done right.

GymWolf

I have the hunch that this one is gonna end on the easier side of the fromsoft games because the challenge is not gonna be much a combat skill problem but using the right type of mech, so more of a mental challenge than a reflex one (of course the game is also gonna request good reflex)

From the footage it looks like everything that is not a boss, is a pushover tbh, the protagonist is just TOO mobile.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm sure the VFX folks in the movie industry can appease your standards. Maybe you ought to consider getting into movies as a hobby.

Good/great art direction trumps high graphical fidelity and has far longer lasting impact than the latter.
Listen, I'm an artist in real life. I make my living and pay the bills via art.

You do realize that having good art direction does not mean having competent tech is suddenly irrelevant right?

Great art (which this game does have) is greatly enhanced by great/competent tech. And literally any artist will tell you that. In any industry. The better the tech, the better the artists vision comes to life.

I'm tired of this myth that you can't have both simultaneously.

A game with great art can still look bad. Like yes, that is a thing. In order to be a great looking game, in this medium, both tech and art have to deliver. If you deliver on one aspect and totally fail on the other, your game does not look good.

Anyways enjoy the game, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

You do realize that having good art direction does not mean having competent tech is suddenly irrelevant right?

Great art (which this game does have) is greatly enhanced by great/competent tech. And literally any artist will tell you that. In any industry. The better the tech, the better the artists vision comes to life.

A game with great art can still look bad. Like yes, that is a thing. In order to be a great looking game, in this medium, both tech and art have to deliver. If you deliver on one aspect and totally fail on the other, your game does not look good.

V6CYPof.gif

Modern tech and tools aren't everything. A fool with the newest version of Photoshop won't accomplish much.

Actual artistry comes down to how the artist applies his toolset, experience and knowledge. Its pretty shallow to think an artist's limit, talent and imagination is purely constrained to the range of tools available at his disposal.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I guess you ain't ever removing this tag huh :messenger_smirking:

That's not at all what I was saying man lol

The 2 (art and tech) are supposed to work together in unison for the greater good of the game, thats all.
After all this time you should adjust your graphic expectations on a dev per dev basis dude, you are never gonna get tlou2 from fromsoft, gave up.

A graphic powerhouse game from them would also probably run like absolute horsecrap when they can't even manage to make their game to run flawlessly.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Modern tech and tools aren't everything. A fool with the newest version of Photoshop won't accomplish much.

Actual artistry comes down to how the artist applies his toolset, experience and knowledge. Its pretty shallow to think an artist's limit, talent and imagination is purely constrained to the range of tools available at his disposal.
In this case we know exactly what the artistry of this game can look like when unshackled from From Software's technical limits:

So yeah, there's still plenty of room for improvement. Maybe on PS8.

Last edited:
In this case we know exactly what the artistry of this game can look like when unshackled from From Software's technical limits:

So yeah, there's still plenty of room for improvement. Maybe on PS8.

"Unshackled". Right, whatever.

I just appreciate not everyone in the gaming community shares this myopic attitude. We're at a point where graphical fidelity is more than fine. Developers can accomplish a lot with the current level of detail that can be rendered. Development costs/budgets have already ballooned into astronomical size and you people want to inflate it even further.

Pushing graphics for the sake of pushing graphics is pointless.

OCASM

Banned
"Unshackled". Right, whatever.

I just appreciate not everyone in the gaming community shares this myopic attitude. We're at a point where graphical fidelity is more than fine. Developers can accomplish a lot with the current level of detail that can be rendered. Development costs/budgets have already ballooned into astronomical size and you people want to inflate it even further.

Pushing graphics for the sake of pushing graphics is pointless.
It's fine if you don't appreciate what greater fidelity brings to the table but outright opposing it just makes you sound like a butthurt fanboy.

It's fine if you don't appreciate what greater fidelity brings to the table but outright opposing it just makes you sound like a butthurt fanboy.
Dunno how you dragged out the fanboy part out of that, but okay, I guess. This fixation on visual fidelity aspect of games as if it represents the most significant pillar has gotten tiresome.

OCASM

Banned
Dunno how you dragged out the fanboy part out of that, but okay, I guess. This fixation on visual fidelity aspect of games as if it represents the most significant pillar has gotten tiresome.
You know you lost when have to make stuff up about the other guy's position.

Again the same complaints for graphics as Elden Ring :lollipop_weary:

I'll take 10 Elden Rings with its art over Horizon Forbidden west for example with top tier "tech".
This game is no different.
Wouldn't you take an Elden Ring with Horizon's top tier tech over both of those?

ok so feel free to shit on me if Im wrong, but I dont remember this level of kvetching about totks graphics.
That's because Zelda fans just accept the facts and don't make ridiculous excuses to justify the lower fidelity.

Last edited:

Wouldn't you take an Elden Ring with Horizon's top tier tech over both of those?

That's because Zelda fans just accept the facts and don't make ridiculous excuses to justify the lower fidelity.
absolutely surreal answer

Buggy Loop

That kind of game just doesn't exist as of now. Those top tier games skip on something to achieve the esthetics that they have. Be it on art, gameplay depth, physics, dynamic, etc. And you certainly wouldn't get the same rapid pace output From Software is having in the past years.

Lords of the Fallen will have better graphics than any From Software games. Take a guess which ones will be remembered longer?

(...)
That's kinda ironic since there is no winning with you guys. You guys will never be satisfied. When or if we reach that benchmark in the trailer you're referencing, then you'll find something new to nag about. Probably in something to the liking of that you can't see the microscopic pores on some character's skin if you zoom in 1000% or some shit.

This cycle will go on and on and on... repeat ad nauseam.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

In the real world, developers have to make a decision where the balance is between those two when they are limited by resources, staff, and time constraints. For me, it achieves the acceptable minimum threshold in both categories, so it actually does do both. For you, subjectively, it does not meet those minimums, and that's fine. It's nice to want things, but let's be realistic and charitable with our expectations.

mortal

Gold Member
ok so feel free to shit on me if Im wrong, but I dont remember this level of kvetching about totks graphics.
Even stranger that people are doing this for FromSoftware, whole already have a reputation for prioritizing art design over pure graphic fidelity in their games, compared to most of their contemporaries. Elden Ring wasn'the most technically impressive game last year, but despite that went on to captivate critics and audiences.

I suspect that in actuality some are finding themselves less captivated by the cold and utilitarian style of Armored Core after being accustomed to the overwrought fantastical settings of Soulsbornre & Elden Ring.

That's kinda ironic since there is no winning with you guys. You guys will never be satisfied. When or if we reach that benchmark in the trailer you're referencing, then you'll find something new to nag about. Probably in something to liking that you can't see the microscopic pores on some character's skin if you zoom in 1000% or some shit.

This cycle will go on and on and on... repeat ad nauseam.
Yup. "Where's the ray tracing?" "Where's lumen?" "Where's nanite?" Constantly moving the goal posts. Development is a balancing act involving many different moving parts. Image quality vs. Frame rates. Gameplay vs. story. Difficulty vs. Accessibility. Devs don't have infinite money or time or manpower, so choices have to be made. If someone doesn't care for what choices a dev makes, they're free to play something else.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I wonder what all these graphics complainers thought about Armored Core 4, FA, V, and VD's graphics?
These souls fans just gotta go - seriously take a hike and dont buy the game.

John Bilbo

I have a good feeling about this game.

The added checkpoints seem to me a bit odd after playing the first Armored Core game. I guess it means missions cannot fail anymore and you cannot gain debt?

Graphically, it looks nice. Aesthetic-wise, it's ugly as hell: greys and browns, rusty factories and corridors etc. Don't really care about all that, just if it's fun. I might purchase it depending on what kind of accessibility features it has.

mortal

Gold Member
I have a good feeling about this game.

The added checkpoints seem to me a bit odd after playing the first Armored Core game. I guess it means missions cannot fail anymore and you cannot gain debt?
Yea going by some of the previews the debt penalty has apparently been softened, which is a bit disappointing imo as I did appreciate the tension and logistics that came with operating ACs. Made the experience a bit more immersive.

It seems the decision to include healing and checkpoints is meant to address some of the longer missions in AC6, which is understandable.
I'd imagine the later missions and encounters in the game will be much more demanding of players, possibly justifying at least some of those decisions. We'll see.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Graphically, it looks nice. Aesthetic-wise, it's ugly as hell: greys and browns, rusty factories and corridors etc. Don't really care about all that, just if it's fun. I might purchase it depending on what kind of accessibility features it has.
I highly disagree I actually LOVING the aesthetics they going for here and AC series was never colourful game.

Yea going by some of the previews the debt penalty has apparently been softened, which is a bit disappointing imo as I did appreciate the tension and logistics that came with operating ACs. Made the experience a bit more immersive.

It seems the decision to include healing and checkpoints is meant to address some of the longer missions in AC6, which is understandable.
I'd imagine the later missions and encounters in the game will be much more demanding of players, possibly justifying at least some of those decisions. We'll see.
Will it have difficulty settings? Did the older games have them? I'm not familiar with the franchise at all, really.

mortal

Gold Member
Will it have difficulty settings? Did the older games have them? I'm not familiar with the franchise at all, really.
No difficulty settings. The relative difficulty of these games largely depends on the mech build of players.
One of the main draws of the Armored Core games is the huge amount of customization players have over their builds.
Some builds are better suited for some missions than others.

If you're at all curious I'd encourage you to check out some of the recent previews to get a better understanding of what to expect.
There are impressions from both veterans and new-comers:

No difficulty settings. The relative difficulty of these games largely depends on the mech build of players.
One of the main draws of the Armored Core games is the huge amount of customization players have over their builds.
Some builds are better suited for some missions than others.

If you're at all curious I'd encourage you to check out some of the recent previews to get a better understanding of what to expect.
There are impressions from both veterans and new-comers:
Ryan Reynolds Insult GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

No chance of me buying on day one, then. :messenger_frowning_

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok. I'm gonna be *that* guy and ask.

Have they said anything about select-able difficulty options for the game yet ?

Top Bottom