• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assasin's Creed: Mirage New Trailers Revealed | Ubisoft Foward 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member

Launching October 12, 2023.

Watch the Assassin's Creed Mirage gameplay and story trailer

About Assassin's Creed Mirage:​

In Assassin's Creed Mirage, you are Basim, a cunning street thief with frightening visions, in search of answers and justice. After a deadly act of retribution, Basim flees Baghdad and joins an ancient organization - The Hidden Ones. As he learns mysterious rituals and powerful principles, he will hone his unique abilities, discover his true nature, and understand a new Creed - one that will change his destiny in ways he could never have imagined.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's clearly a lower budget title that started out as DLC for Valhalla, so with that in mind I'm happy they made a full game about this. It does look decidedly last-gen though, with lower res character models and textures.

The devs call it "a love letter to the very first AC" and it shows. Both in good ways, and probably in some of the bad ways. Some gameplay mechanics look archaic.

But I'm all about that freerunning through that huge beautiful city, it's been way too long.

Last edited:

Tommi84

There's a mechanic to fend off the eagle out of main areas? GREAT! I hated this gameplay loop - go to fort, scout using eagle/raven/whatever, kill the guards.

I'm intrigued

Laptop1991

Definitely a 1st game vibe with the setting, which i like, i'm a big fan of these games, there's not much really new to be honest apart from minor changes, but i will buy and play it, looks fun, as the old games were, well i didn't like 3, but the rest were fun (except the tailing missions).

Soodanim

Gold Member
This looks more interesting to me than the more recent titles, although I hope they don't rely too much on the OP teleporting multi assassinations.

I do like a return to the more methodical AC1 design without "Sorry you're not high enough level to kill this person that didn't see you coming"

Last edited:
Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

They're the same picture

yurinka

Looked very cool, I'd prefer them to focus in the future on this kind of smaller open world with more parkour and stealth instead of in a too big map with a gigantic list of features and rpg stuff.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Looks awesome to me.

Only thing I don't really like is the ghost kill sequence thing. If I can skip (which it looks like you can) then that's fine with me.

Kurotri

It looks good enough imo, I like how they turned it into its own game as it started out as just another Valhalla DLC. However, that starting point is still definitely obvious to see here, though with the deliberate focus on AC1 to me it cancels that out so to speak. Only negatives I have is the stupid fucking bird and the teleport assassination, and the weirdly slow "running" speed. Other than that, solid hold-over title for the actual next big AC title, AC Red. Gonna put the Ubisoft+ thing to use for this one.

SkylineRKR

I like this mostly because its going back to the roots. But I would've liked to see a more modernized approach in combat, AI and assassinations. It looks very last-gen. I think Unity looks better, actually. But that game would still rear heads if it was remastered at 60fps.

Not too shabby Ubi, not too shabby. Gives that original AC & AC:II vibe which is what made me fall in love with the AC franchise in the first place, not those boring RPG lite AC lookalikes with long drawn out, empty, boring open worlds with tremendous amounts of grinding and fetch quests and lack of focus on the actual Creed.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Facial animation more than a gen behind. But I guess they got the memo on how bad the last dev diary was - no mention on rehashing 1.5 decade old mechanics just a raw gameplay segment scoped down "modern" AC with all the fat trimmed it seems. Which is an AC I might even like to play, if it's not longer than 20h please.

What on earth was this showcase? A love letter? A callback to the original AC? The only thing here that resembles that are the environment, costumes and themes. This just looks like AC origins without the leveling system (thank God for removing that awful system).

And is it just me, or are the animations pretty janky looking. I was expecting some stealth AC vibes but instead it turned into an escape sequence alerting the fuck out of everyone. Jesus, Ubisoft you really are so full of it aren't you? Back to roots, my foot.

ahtlas7

Agreed with a lot of the criticisms unfortunately. This the only Ubi game I have interest in so I hope they clean it up.

CGNoire

I swear to God outside of Unity What the Fuck is up with AC games aversion to Shader variety?

Like there games never have more than 3 shaders for everything in the world making them always look last gen. In alot of AAA devs have spent most of the last decade downgrading there shaders.

CGNoire

on PC It has some Nvidia sponsored physics and tesselation effects that are really taxing even on a 3080. Game looks magnificent on any machine though. The work they did in interiors is quite something.

c4f1aa3c76be97ff05fff34aef16d6e2.jpg

vlVISLD.jpeg

The baked lighting was absolutely insane.

twokills2.gif
The fact that they havent matched it since shows you how little they care. Mindless consumers voted with there wallets for this shit reality gaming currently is.

sertopico

Back to the roots meaning they did not change a single bit of what made the franchise boring and repetitive? Also the game engine is still the same... Character animations and model quality during cutscenes is atrocious, shadows are flickering, npc density is the same as before, AI looks as dumb as it's always been... Is this the best they could do in these years? Meh.

The fact that they havent matched it since shows you how little they care. Mindless consumers voted with there wallets for this shit reality gaming currently is.
To me, comments like this show how shit modern gaming is. I remember this site and social media, panning and making fun of Unity, but now all of a sudden it's one the best AC game ever?
That for me, just sums up modern gaming.

People slam a game, then when changes are made, they'll slam the changes too. Not that they'll buy the game, of course, they'll just watch it on YouTube. Modern gaming at its best ...

CGNoire

To me, comments like this show how shit modern gaming is. I remember this site and social media, panning and making fun of Unity, but now all of a sudden it's one the best AC game ever?

People slam a game, then when changes are made, they'll slam the changes too. Not that they'll buy the game, of course, they'll just watch it on YouTube. Modern gaming at its best ...
I was one who wasnt really Impressed with Unity and I definitely dont think it looks modern outside of "some" still images where you cant fully examine its flaws. My point is AC games since Syndicate have been visually unambitious. And while Im sure Valhalla is doing alot of extra stuff overall it looks worse. AC games havent been even attempting top graphics since Unity.

When I mentioned the state of the industry I was referring to AAA games only.

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
I'm still interested but these games deserve a stronger art direction.

(I want to replay Unity now.)

sertopico

Where are the changes? It's just the fact they reduced the map size? Because other than that I did not see anything remarkable. It's good they chose to offer a less dispersive experience by focusing on one location and its outskirts, but then you need to make it valuable content wise.

Kenpachii

AC games i always like. The main complains i have is.

- Combat looks wooden,
- A huge city, but is there something else then a giant city, the game is best outside city's for me. Because i am not looking for another AC unity.
- movement is wooden, facial expression also.
Because it has ac origin vibes i will probably see it more as a DLC towards it, but the game play etc isn't convincing much but the game also cost a lot less then valhalla from what i saw.
Deciding if i play it on my main rig or on my deck.

mrMUR_96

on PC It has some Nvidia sponsored physics and tesselation effects that are really taxing even on a 3080. Game looks magnificent on any machine though. The work they did in interiors is quite something.

vlVISLD.jpeg

twokills2.gif
The tessellation patch never actually released, never heard anything about pc physics features either

Just_one

Unity to me is still the best AC. Ps4 just couldnt handle what they tried to do.

That being said i really love mirage. I hated valhalla, without any doubt the worst AC game to date ,odyssey was saved thanks to kassandra being so charismatic. Mirage is a return to being an assasin playing stheath and climb buildings and things i really loved to do prior to origins. I really hope they brought back the first civilization mythos with the Apple of eden and shit. Make it apart also of the modern story and we are back in true AC lore.

Hugare

Seems like it was made with pocket change

Looks worse than Origins

Watch it be teared apart for being a mediocre effort, than Ubi saying "see? you guys dont want an AC using the old formula"

Unity was criticized mainly due to its bugs and glitches. It was the biggest fuck up in modern gaming until Cyberpunk. Not only that, but it also had a bunch of microtransactions when the market was really averse to it.

But it was never a mediocre game. It was the best AC game since II/Brotherhood.

If not for its poor state at launch/microtransactions, it would have been much better received

Seems like it was made with pocket change

Looks worse than Origins

Watch it be teared apart for being a mediocre effort, than Ubi saying "see? you guys dont want an AC using the old formula"

Unity was criticized mainly due to its bugs and glitches. It was the biggest fuck up in modern gaming until Cyberpunk. Not only that, but it also had a bunch of microtransactions when the market was really averse to it.

But it was never a mediocre game. It was the best AC game since II/Brotherhood.

If not for its poor state at launch/microtransactions, it would have been much better received
It was panned for the performance, which made Ubi scale back and now people aren't happy. You reap what you sow

Where are the changes? It's just the fact they reduced the map size? Because other than that I did not see anything remarkable. It's good they chose to offer a less dispersive experience by focusing on one location and its outskirts, but then you need to make it valuable content wise.
At a 'guess' I would imagine the game is scaling back on having loads of side and mini-quests happing at the same time

I was one who wasnt really Impressed with Unity and I definitely dont think it looks modern outside of "some" still images where you cant fully examine its flaws. My point is AC games since Syndicate have been visually unambitious. And while Im sure Valhalla is doing alot of extra stuff overall it looks worse. AC games havent been even attempting top graphics since Unity.

When I mentioned the state of the industry I was referring to AAA games only.
Unity was amazing in what it was doing almost a 1 to 1 recreation. People bashed Unity for trying to do too much and ask too much of the hardware and now they're not happy since Ubi scaled back. This is what I hate about modern gaming and why I wish developers wouldn't listen to the social media trash. And the best part of modern gaming is the ones with the most to say, watch it all on YouTube

Hugare

It was panned for the performance, which made Ubi scale back and now people aren't happy. You reap what you sow
You are seriously trying to blame people for not accepting sub 20 fps performance?

Ubi was too ambitious with AC Unity and they could have easily toned down some stuff without sacrificing what made it so visually appealing.

Assasins Creed Origins didnt need 10.000 NPCs at the same time on the screen. Ubi could have easily used the same engine for it (and for all other AC games)

They took the easy way out. They just didnt treated the next AC games with the same care.

Animations, for example, were never the same. They have been subpar since Symdicate. No other AC game since Unity had the same animation quality, and there's really no excuse for it, only incompetence.

Last edited:
You are seriously trying to blame people for not accepting sub 20 fps performance?

Ubi was too ambitious with AC Unity and they could have easily toned down some stuff without sacrificing what made it so visually appealing.

It's funny how people accept issues with performance when it's suits. The game was ambitious on the hardware, but then so was SOTC on the PS2 and that's held up as a classic to this day. If Unity wasn't knocked so much Im sure Ubi would have looked to lift the scale bar to silly levels

Last edited:

Hugare

It's funny how people accept issues with performance when it's suits. The game was ambitious on the hardware, but then so was SOTC on the PS2 and that's held up as a classic to this day. If Unity wasn't knocked so much Im sure Ubi would have looked to lift the scale bar to silly levels
I dont give a damn about a game's performance when its justifiable. I loved the game.

You are trying to paint this picture that the game wasnt well received only due to its performance problems. It wasnt.

It was panned due to tons of bugs/glitches at launch, microtransactions (in 2014), iterative gameplay and meh story mostly

And your argument is totally wrong, because Ubi didnt change engines just because the game wasnt well received.

AC Origins was already being made when Unity was being developed. It utilizes the same engine as AC Black Flag, because it was made by that same team.

Then Odyssey/Valhalla utilizes this same engine because it was better to work with than the one used in Unity (that despite also being AnvilNext 2.0, it had different features)

That's why Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla share so many stuff between them (animations, character rendering, shaders and etc.)

Again, why animations suck so much compared to Unity? It has nothing to do with ambition, and more with competence

AC Mirage looks like shit despite being a new game. Looks worse than Origins.

K' Dash

vlVISLD.jpeg

twokills2.gif

People here said that Unity looked like an iPhone game around the time it was shown to the public, people made fun of a certain bug and now it's being used as an example of how good AC can look.

Top Bottom