• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 3 |OT| Part 2 now airing!

shira

Just a setup episode.
All this info is crazy.

I'm not sure if I like where they are going, but lot's of people are going to die

Skipped most of S2 and going to skip all of S3 so I can watch everything I missed in one weekend or less.

@Above Yeah. The show was more eerie and seemingly unpredictable till we find certain things out about them.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Season 3 is pretty slow, I don't like how they are fighting humans instead of titans; it would have been ok for maybe 1-2 eps of fighting other people, but its like every ep they are fighting other people. Might as well call it attack on humans season 3. Hopefully they go back to fighting titans.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I have 0 knowledge about the manga and I'm liking where the show is going.

The idea of a small group of people containing critical information from humanity is just so more interesting that a bunch of monsters attacking humans for no apparent reason. I think the explanation they have given to stuff so far has been great.

It is slow, specially comparing it to S2 but still so good. I get bummed out every time I finish watching the latest episode.

oagboghi2

I loved the first half of the episode. 3 seasons in and the fight scenes are still fun to watch. Suprised how many characters are not getting killed however.

However, I'm starting to get lost regarding the 2nd half.
What is Historia's motivation here? Doesn't she want the titans dead? Eren seemed to be okay sacrificing himself to achieve that goal, but the flashback to Ymir didn't sell to me why she would change her mind? What did her dad say that triggered her to turn against him and "start to hate humanity"]

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I loved the first half of the episode. 3 seasons in and the fight scenes are still fun to watch. Suprised how many characters are not getting killed however.

However, I'm starting to get lost regarding the 2nd half.
What is Historia's motivation here? Doesn't she want the titans dead? Eren seemed to be okay sacrificing himself to achieve that goal, but the flashback to Ymir didn't sell to me why she would change her mind? What did her dad say that triggered her to turn against him and "start to hate humanity"]

Not an AoT manga reader, so my take:

According to Reiss's narrative of events, the OG Royal Titan created this whole scenario as a way to "save" or preserve humanity from extinction. No one ever gets a straight answer from the Titan Kings after they "ascend;" the status quo is preserved, even though any of the lineage could have freed humanity and ended the 100 year nightmare.

If Historia went spine sucking here, she'd effectively become an amalgam of her royal lineage; an unrecognizable, different person. As herself, she's seen all the suffering and insanity that humanity endures in their fragile walled city-state. She also knows that, based on all the other generations of this, Ascended Historia would sit back and do nothing too, regardless of her present convictions, because of whatever knowledge or memories that would reshape her perspective like it had for all her predecessors.

Reiss presents this all as the righteous and necessary path to save the world. But, based on what we know, an Ascended Historia wouldn't save the world. She'll learn the Truth, that will transform her worldview, she'll get the walls back up, brainwash everyone and act to preserve the old status quo. She also knows that the organization of titan-humans outside the walls have some unknown motivation to disrupt the status quo at any cost. While their measures are extreme, and the cost of life enormous, it's nothing compared to what the government did in response to the initial attack. Far more people died in an intentionally designed suicide re-taking of the lost ground, while the nobility filled their bellies and the refugees were starving and sent out mostly to get eaten.

The outside rogue actors are breaching walls and trying to take Eren -- as the vessel for the Monarchy's omnipotence and subjugation of humanity -- away from the reach of the Reiss's. We know they're hardcore and mass murderers but they've deemed their actions justified based on the undisclosed knowledge they possess about this whole scenario as well. And we know they're not true monsters based on the years of comradery the Scouts had with them. Ymir's bond with Historia and all of her actions in the previous arc, combined with what we now know about the true monarchy and its role in reshaping the world introduces a lot of ambiguity about which side is fighting on behalf of humanity and a free world, right? Levi brought it up, too.

Historia doesn't want to become another vessel for the original architect of this whole insane situation. She doesn't want to lose herself and become the person who would fulfill the architect's role yet again. Incomplete information and unreliable narrators abound, but Historia stops and looks at what she's about to do. She's about to commit to eating Eren and her goals will probably evaporate with those cold new eyes. She's about to rationalize it to herself as her duty on behalf of humanity, but none of these prospects actually align with her values as Historia the human being, and humanity is starting to look like one giant clusterfuck with her family at the center of it.

What seals it for her is Kenny's wild card of unlocking Eren's Titan powers. Reiss encourages her to go all out and slurp dat spine, do or die. But Eren's not transforming. Eren is crying, overwhelmed with grief and self-loathing, and asking to be eaten as a way to atone for his father's (...ambiguous) actions and all the blood spilled on his behalf and as a result of his unwanted powers. He's presented as humanity's enemy by Reiss, a necessary sacrifice to save the world from destruction, but he's the one overflowing with humanity in that moment, internalizing all the suffering, fallen friends' names vivid in his mind, and firmly willing to sacrifice himself in gruesome final death, contrasted with Historia's prospective level up to godhood and the sole recipient of the Truth.

She shares many of Eren's virtues on the surface, and yet he's pushed himself to extreme lengths for the sake of his comrades, his fellow people, and he wants the titans destroyed and humanity freed and she knows that for certain. Eren wears his values and his convictions on his sleeve, and she's staring right at the manifestation of that in the deciding moment,

Historia realizes that the syringe pressed to her arm represents her induction into Team Evil, and it's time to burn it all to the fuckin' ground, not perpetuate the cycle of subjugation and horror. Eren, as an alternate vessel for the Power is a known quantity. Kill the monsters. Protect his friends, no royal dark side powers. Ymir operating on Team Beast and yet firmly remaining someone she believes to be a good person further complicates matters. They want Eren's power out of the grasp of the monarchy and in their control, and they're directly responsible for atrocity and massacre of civilians, but their endgame is unclear.

Too little hard data to work with there for her, so she stuck with what she truly knew about the people involved instead of anyone's narrative.

Deftly executed and defining character moment for Historia. :messenger_darts::messenger_fire:

bigedole

I hope we get more insight into the actions of Eren's dad. We got that little bit of "You'll be the one to take revenge for your mother!" but he didn't have to eat the Reiss lady for that, he could've let Eren eat him either way right? And for that matter, why give the power to Eren? There's a lot about his dad that's not making sense...

shira

tMami7X.png

No fate but what we make

royox

I hope we get more insight into the actions of Eren's dad. We got that little bit of "You'll be the one to take revenge for your mother!" but he didn't have to eat the Reiss lady for that, he could've let Eren eat him either way right? And for that matter, why give the power to Eren? There's a lot about his dad that's not making sense...
Everything will be explained. Don't remember when lol.

bigedole

Ok, yesterday's episode was the first little let down of the season for me haha. Fight the damn thing already! Also, does this mean Eren has the same power that Annie was using? Or is it something different? All hail Queen Waifu.

oagboghi2

Not an AoT manga reader, so my take:

According to Reiss's narrative of events, the OG Royal Titan created this whole scenario as a way to "save" or preserve humanity from extinction. No one ever gets a straight answer from the Titan Kings after they "ascend;" the status quo is preserved, even though any of the lineage could have freed humanity and ended the 100 year nightmare.

If Historia went spine sucking here, she'd effectively become an amalgam of her royal lineage; an unrecognizable, different person. As herself, she's seen all the suffering and insanity that humanity endures in their fragile walled city-state. She also knows that, based on all the other generations of this, Ascended Historia would sit back and do nothing too, regardless of her present convictions, because of whatever knowledge or memories that would reshape her perspective like it had for all her predecessors.

Reiss presents this all as the righteous and necessary path to save the world. But, based on what we know, an Ascended Historia wouldn't save the world. She'll learn the Truth, that will transform her worldview, she'll get the walls back up, brainwash everyone and act to preserve the old status quo. She also knows that the organization of titan-humans outside the walls have some unknown motivation to disrupt the status quo at any cost. While their measures are extreme, and the cost of life enormous, it's nothing compared to what the government did in response to the initial attack. Far more people died in an intentionally designed suicide re-taking of the lost ground, while the nobility filled their bellies and the refugees were starving and sent out mostly to get eaten.

The outside rogue actors are breaching walls and trying to take Eren -- as the vessel for the Monarchy's omnipotence and subjugation of humanity -- away from the reach of the Reiss's. We know they're hardcore and mass murderers but they've deemed their actions justified based on the undisclosed knowledge they possess about this whole scenario as well. And we know they're not true monsters based on the years of comradery the Scouts had with them. Ymir's bond with Historia and all of her actions in the previous arc, combined with what we now know about the true monarchy and its role in reshaping the world introduces a lot of ambiguity about which side is fighting on behalf of humanity and a free world, right? Levi brought it up, too.

Historia doesn't want to become another vessel for the original architect of this whole insane situation. She doesn't want to lose herself and become the person who would fulfill the architect's role yet again. Incomplete information and unreliable narrators abound, but Historia stops and looks at what she's about to do. She's about to commit to eating Eren and her goals will probably evaporate with those cold new eyes. She's about to rationalize it to herself as her duty on behalf of humanity, but none of these prospects actually align with her values as Historia the human being, and humanity is starting to look like one giant clusterfuck with her family at the center of it.

What seals it for her is Kenny's wild card of unlocking Eren's Titan powers. Reiss encourages her to go all out and slurp dat spine, do or die. But Eren's not transforming. Eren is crying, overwhelmed with grief and self-loathing, and asking to be eaten as a way to atone for his father's (...ambiguous) actions and all the blood spilled on his behalf and as a result of his unwanted powers. He's presented as humanity's enemy by Reiss, a necessary sacrifice to save the world from destruction, but he's the one overflowing with humanity in that moment, internalizing all the suffering, fallen friends' names vivid in his mind, and firmly willing to sacrifice himself in gruesome final death, contrasted with Historia's prospective level up to godhood and the sole recipient of the Truth.

She shares many of Eren's virtues on the surface, and yet he's pushed himself to extreme lengths for the sake of his comrades, his fellow people, and he wants the titans destroyed and humanity freed and she knows that for certain. Eren wears his values and his convictions on his sleeve, and she's staring right at the manifestation of that in the deciding moment,

Historia realizes that the syringe pressed to her arm represents her induction into Team Evil, and it's time to burn it all to the fuckin' ground, not perpetuate the cycle of subjugation and horror. Eren, as an alternate vessel for the Power is a known quantity. Kill the monsters. Protect his friends, no royal dark side powers. Ymir operating on Team Beast and yet firmly remaining someone she believes to be a good person further complicates matters. They want Eren's power out of the grasp of the monarchy and in their control, and they're directly responsible for atrocity and massacre of civilians, but their endgame is unclear.

Too little hard data to work with there for her, so she stuck with what she truly knew about the people involved instead of anyone's narrative.

Deftly executed and defining character moment for Historia. :messenger_darts::messenger_fire:
Thank you. That does seem to make a lot of sense. Historia eating Eren would just continue a vicious cycle

Last edited:
I HIGHLY recommend anime viewers to read the manga chapters 51 to 67 ( The start of season 3 until episode 8 ) to get the full picture, because they are cutting stuff from the manga.

Just a tip :messenger_ok:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Do they explain why RR's titan form was so jacked up? Can someone PM or post a spoiler here if they know?

Seemed to be from titanizing inside the cave. He was too big and his spine wouldn't have been able to form correctly, among other things.

bigedole

Seemed to be from titanizing inside the cave. He was too big and his spine wouldn't have been able to form correctly, among other things.

But like, it was taller than the colossal titan too, which I imagine is pretty damn unique right?

hecatomb

Banned
Didnt he say like he wasn't chosen? Im not sure, he also licked it off the ground, instead of injection.

Last edited:
Do they explain why RR's titan form was so jacked up? Can someone PM or post a spoiler here if they know?

In the manga, Rod said to Historia, when she was about to inject herself in the cave: "Don't worry, this shot will let you become a powerful titan. I chose the titan that was the most suited for battle". The anime put the first part of that, but not the second.

In his mind, he probably thought that making her a big titan would make stealing her power pretty hard by anyone that tried it. However, we don't know if he intended the titan to be THAT big though. Also, he licked remnants of the serum instead of injecting it, so we don't know how his real form would be like, if that made a difference. So yeah, that serum had a purpose.

Giolon

I figured it might have had to do with the fact that he licked the serum instead of injecting it. Otherwise, why bother injecting the stuff if you could just throw a few drops on your tongue?

Hmmm... It looks like a split cour may happen. Apparently, October Japanese TV guide has no SnK episodes on NHK after October 8th ( S03E12 )

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
well you saw at the end the beast titan was fighting with the armor titan about what they were going to do next.

llien

Soo, how many episodes are supposed to be in this season? (not reading entire thread, afraid of spoilers, saw 9 so far and see 10th is available)

Last edited:
Soo, how many episodes are supposed to be in this season? (not reading entire thread, afraid of spoilers, saw 9 so far and see 10th is available)

Dunno exactly, but probably 24 episodes. Apparently, there will also be a break after episode 12 ( Split cour )

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
Well found this on crunchyroll (Due to special programming for Typhoon Trami, episode 48 is now scheduled to broadcast 10/7 in Japan.)

pgtl_10

Member when this show was about humanity fighting man eating giants for pure survival? I member.

I know the Manga changes things. I like the show but I wish the creators deviate from the manga a bit. The manga completely wrecked the show's original premise.

royox

Even I'm a manga reader I didn't remember the things explained on this episode, nice touch at the end :)

manfestival

Even I'm a manga reader I didn't remember the things explained on this episode, nice touch at the end :)
Yeah, honestly reading this whole part of the manga was a bit of a drag. Same with the next arc... that whole set up of the next arc took WAAAAY too long.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Beautiful episode there, lots of little character details that tie together the overall narrative. Worth a rewatch to focus on the (often silent) visual subtext going on in a lot of those interactions, actually. :messenger_expressionless::messenger_unamused::messenger_anguished::messenger_hushed::messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_neutral:

shira

Dat mid credits teaser.

No Armin eeeeeeeeeeeee

Series takes a break till 4/2019

Last edited:
Top Bottom