• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 3 |OT| Part 2 now airing!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This show, phew. Goddamn. :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Went in a different direction, but made the most of the character growth and worldbuilding opportunities in doing so, then brought it all back and refocused here. Far stronger foundation to take these next steps.

Iaterain

Honestly, I've started to watch "Attack of Titan", because I was thinking that there is a "hidden message" towards "white male privilege".
How else could I explain those giant and powerful white males who are eating little people?

Durask

Honestly, I've started to watch "Attack of Titan", because I was thinking that there is a "hidden message" towards "white male privilege".
How else could I explain those giant and powerful white males who are eating little people?

Well....you'll probably not going to get white male privilege but you will get a, ahem, related theme later on. heh

Achelexus

Probably not, the good thing about japanese cartoons is that we don't get this sort of stuff on them.

Anyway, these next 6 months will be a long wait. Also, in case anyone missed it in the last episode, there's a... very interesting scene after/during the ED.

royox

Is this post sarcasm? Please tell me it's sarcasm

bigedole

So much context provided this season. The only question now is do I wait to do my full rewatch until right before the Spring 2019 back half of the season, or do I just do it twice and jump back in right now with the last two episodes fresh in mind!

Iaterain

Is this post sarcasm? Please tell me it's sarcasm
What do you mean? Don't tell me that you never asked yourself why the main enemy in this anime are giant, white males? Sound like a political message to me and it made me curios.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
What do you mean? Don't tell me that you never asked yourself why the main enemy in this anime are giant, white males? Sound like a political message to me and it made me curios.

Are they even white? They could be Japanese, it isn’t exactly easy to tell in anime.

hecatomb

Banned
I think you are just looking for anything to offend you, so you can complain about it. There are female titans, if you keep watching.

royox

I never asked, never cared, never gave a fuck and it's false. There are female titans too. The manga is set in a phantasy German region closed to ALL foreigners being Mikasa the only different person as she's Asian and it's a very important plot point. Just look at the character names and surnames ALL GERMAN.

Remember this last episode has an extra scene during the credits.

Extra Scene

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We're back!

yH8nN6R.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
At least there's a show out here that makes fucking sense. Doubly ironic since the show that "makes sense" is a show about killing man eating evas giants by slicing their necks with medieval Spiderman gear.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
At least there's a show out here that makes fucking sense. Doubly ironic since the show that "makes sense" is a show about killing man eating evas giants by slicing their necks with medieval Spiderman gear.

No lies detected. AoT's worldbuilding, character development, narrative, and payoffs are all consistently on-point.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Swear AoT is the only series that can get away with 18 minutes of build up and then have 2 minutes of something actually happening before the credits roll. I don't know a single thing from the manga after this so it will be interesting.

Should have watched this last night instead of GoT... or in addition to, more realistically. Had no idea this was back on but I will be watching it tonight after work!

I’m up to date on the (US released) manga, but I’ve only seen the first two seasons on the anime. Can anyone tell me how far the anime has gotten to date? Will they get to the time-skip?

manfestival

I’m up to date on the (US released) manga, but I’ve only seen the first two seasons on the anime. Can anyone tell me how far the anime has gotten to date? Will they get to the time-skip?
the anime is literally on the events happening right before that. I imagine the season will probably go into that briefly... of course

the anime is literally on the events happening right before that. I imagine the season will probably go into that briefly... of course
Sweet. This will be the perfect time to catch up then (the anime is objectively better than the manga, but the long waiting periods between seasons has been frustrating as hell). Can't wait to see the reactions.

manfestival

Sweet. This will be the perfect time to catch up then (the anime is objectively better than the manga, but the long waiting periods between seasons has been frustrating as hell). Can't wait to see the reactions.
Yeah the show does SUCH a good job. I stopped reading the manga around 106... I just grew tired of the direction the story has gone. Let me ask you, I know things had picked up around that point but does the story get any better? I see I have to read 11 more chapters to catch up but I am not sure if it is even worth it anymore.

Yeah the show does SUCH a good job. I stopped reading the manga around 106... I just grew tired of the direction the story has gone. Let me ask you, I know things had picked up around that point but does the story get any better? I see I have to read 11 more chapters to catch up but I am not sure if it is even worth it anymore.
I only read the US releases, so I’m only up to 110 (the just released vol 27). Don’t want to get into spoiler territory since this thread is about the anime, but if you aren’t enjoying the direction, I’d wait for it to finish and read it then. Wherever it ends up, if you don’t like where it started, you’ll be disappointed in the outcome.

But I think I’m one of the few people who likes where the story is going. Attack On Titan has been one of the few works of fiction that has consistently surprised me. Being a writer myself, I tend to spot secrets and plot twists a mile away. It is very rare for me not to guess the ending of anything I see, and yet I’ve never been able to second guess Attack On Titan. Ican’t even reliable guess which characters are going to die. So I like the direction the story is going because I was completely blindsided. Completely. Even now, I’m not completely sure where it is going, and I love that the story can be 27 volumes in and still surprise me.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Is episode 4 out? I stopped reading the manga in the middle of what S3 covered. The anime pretty much covers it better and went through material much faster that was honestly boring as shit.

I'm personally loving the current manga arc, but since you dropped it on 106 I don't think you will like it still.

kiiltz

I love the inspirational speeches in this show, goddamn.
Erwin's voice broke at one point in the last ep and I thought it was really fucking cool that they left it in to reflect his mental state of the time (this is Jotaro we're talking about).

It's like you know he's not really talking to the recruits as much as he is to himself. He's absolutely crushed that he's probably not gonna make it out and he's trying to convince himself with his own speech to give it up. That crazed and mad look in his eyes throughout all that was haunting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Erwin's voice broke at one point in the last ep and I thought it was really fucking cool that they left it in to reflect his mental state of the time (this is Jotaro we're talking about).

It's like you know he's not really talking to the recruits as much as he is to himself. He's absolutely crushed that he's probably not gonna make it out and he's trying to convince himself with his own speech to give it up. That crazed and mad look in his eyes throughout all that was haunting.
I like the fact that these heroic figures still show that they can consider selfish options. That they are still three dimensional humans and not just fictional cardboard cutouts.

bigedole

God this episode was so good. I am really excited to rewatch this season start to finish after it ends without the breaks. Every god damn episode ends with me craving more.

Kenpachii

watched season 1 absolute fantastic.

watched season 2, quited half way absolute trash.

Watching season 3, absolute fantastic again. Really like it.

kiiltz

Still baffles me that there are people who like season 1 but not season 2. It's even worse that I haven't heard a single good argument. It's all "boring" or "idk lol xDDD".

Last edited:
I’m enjoying the manga more than the anime tbh
I think the anime is objectively better, but obviously, it could not exist without what the amazing work manga has done. And at least through season 2, it was extremely faithful to the manga. The mangaka has a good story and good characters, but is terrible at drawing. The characters go off model every other frame and frequently, you can't even tell which character is which. There was a recent example where a character revealed themselves and I was like, who the hell are you? Next comic, they say their name and I'm like, no way!

Structurally, the manga is extremely well done. The secrets are revealed at a perfect pace, always make sense, and even make you reconsider everything that came before it - and the mysteries all have answers! No black smoke monsters and teleporting islands here. The world is amazing and the mobility shooters make for very dynamic and exciting action scenes. If only the guy could draw...

O-N-E

Kek, Isayama should just take a page out of Hara's book and ask a big name like Inoue for advice. I'm sure there's someone at Kodansha who can hook him up. Then again, maybe it's because he's never had to worry about volume sales.

Wait, if you're talking about Takehiko Inoue, how will asking him for advice give Isayama better art skills? All he can say is, "practice drawing stuff you're bad at drawing", which I'm guessing Isayama already knows and might have little to no time for.

kiiltz

Wait, if you're talking about Takehiko Inoue, how will asking him for advice give Isayama better art skills? All he can say is, "practice drawing stuff you're bad at drawing", which I'm guessing Isayama already knows and might have little to no time for.
Yasuhira Hara went from this
ZEWdzfq.png
To this
mWAhfyH.png
To this
zB4KLAg.png
In the space of 2 years and that was at weekly releases (it still is actually). Now, he's no Takehiko Inoue but Hara's basic understanding of fundementals improved immensely after he sought advice from Inoue. Funnily enough, he still sucks at drawing horses which is cheekily fitting given that Inoue probably couldn't help him in that department.

In any case, Kingdom went from worryingly bad volume sales to becoming the flagship title in Young Jump and one of the most popular manga in Japan. I think the only ones that can hold a candle to it is One Piece, Attack on Titan and Slam Dunk. Of course, Inoue isn't solely responsible for it but you can see his fingerprints all over Kingdom from the lines, to the depiction of movement, to the panelling. I'd definitely credit Inoue for Hara's ability to build a scene.

I don't know what Isayama could improve as I don't actually read SnK (I plan to after the anime) but if Inoue could help someone, who had already been his assistant beforehand mind you, turn a sub-par violent pseudo-Seinen manga into Shuisha's number 2 manga then I'm positive he could give Isayama a few tips.

Btw, in case you were wondering, this is what Hara's art looks like now circa 100 chapters ago (~350 chapters/10 years after the first image).
yid5ciY.png

Yes, this is low key a shameless Kingdom advertisement. I received ¥200 for this (read the manga, don't watch the anime).

Mista

Banned
I think the anime is objectively better, but obviously, it could not exist without what the amazing work manga has done. And at least through season 2, it was extremely faithful to the manga. The mangaka has a good story and good characters, but is terrible at drawing. The characters go off model every other frame and frequently, you can't even tell which character is which. There was a recent example where a character revealed themselves and I was like, who the hell are you? Next comic, they say their name and I'm like, no way!

Structurally, the manga is extremely well done. The secrets are revealed at a perfect pace, always make sense, and even make you reconsider everything that came before it - and the mysteries all have answers! No black smoke monsters and teleporting islands here. The world is amazing and the mobility shooters make for very dynamic and exciting action scenes. If only the guy could draw...
The anime is good and far from bad but I’m not liking who they end their episodes. That’s not how how excite your watchers.

kiiltz

The anime is good and far from bad but I’m not liking who they end their episodes. That’s not how how excite your watchers.
Could you be more a little more specific?

Last episode ended with Erwin lying to himself as he normally does to others then getting fatally hit.
Before that was Bertholdt growing some balls and outplaying Armin.
Before that it was Reiner getting thundered speared.
Before that it was Armin proving Erwin right by locating Reiner and the Beast Titan and everyone appearing.

What's not exciting?

Mista

Banned
Could you be more a little more specific?

Last episode ended with Erwin lying to himself as he normally does to others then getting fatally hit.
Before that was Bertholdt growing some balls and outplaying Armin.
Before that it was Reiner getting thundered speared.
Before that it was Armin proving Erwin right by locating Reiner and the Beast Titan and everyone appearing.

What's not exciting?
Generally it’s great and you keep your watchers excited for the following week. But for me I no longer enjoy this kind of episode endings. Maybe that’s because most anime’s I watched I have read their manga before so it doesn’t excite me anymore. But at the end it’s just me, I’m sure lots and lots of people still enjoy this type of episode endings

manfestival

Generally it’s great and you keep your watchers excited for the following week. But for me I no longer enjoy this kind of episode endings. Maybe that’s because most anime’s I watched I have read their manga before so it doesn’t excite me anymore. But at the end it’s just me, I’m sure lots and lots of people still enjoy this type of episode endings
Bro I know your struggle. I think the only show that manages to capture the magic DESPITE me knowing what happens next from reading manga is My Hero Academia. I refuse to read one punch man manga cause I LOVE the show so much. Attack on Titan as a show is just moving so SLOW that I am excited but I also care far less.

Top Bottom