• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan - The Final Season |OT| A 2000 year PATH reaches its CLIMAX (Dec 7th)

Paltheos

What a tweest. So many turns at the end of the episode although my gut reaction is the Yeagerists knowing about the spinal fluid trap was a one too many but we'll see how it plays out. I'll give this show the benefit of the doubt. This was a good episode too (after a few that had been varying levels of shaky).

I also really liked that scene in the forest with Levi reflecting on all the times he's saved Eren and the sacrifices made to keep him alive. Not much to the scene but I loved the style of playing past crises in the background amongst the foliage. Allot more of a creative way of expressing it than typical flashback scenes with a filter on old footage.

Edit: Man, watching Gabi get punched in the face is so satisfying. Aw man. Fuck that kid lol

Last edited:

Naibel

Great episode, full of twists and powerful moments. Gabi is the shit-gift that keeps on giving and I loled @ the surprise Eren appearance. God bless Sasha's dad, and btw how come Floch became so based and cool this season (that grin at the end, holy shit :lollipop_squinting:) ? What a difference a few years does make.

Ep 12 was a disappointment but I'm hooked again.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

They delayed the streaming release because there was an earthquake (5.0, unlikely to be casualties) and the last 5 minutes of the live broadcast was cut for the breaking news. Reasonable enough, but I'm also hearing Japan is really strict with this kind of scheduling issue and it might not get released until next week. I hope not, seems overkill not to stream it for a full week and mess around the broadcast schedule even more just because the last 5 minutes were cut out on TV.

Teletraan1

Banned
Must be some sort of contractual obligation that it has to air before the streaming services gets to distribute it. Otherwise it makes no sense that the streaming services wouldn't put it up. They have the episode, it isn't like they are just putting up TV rips. Pretty shitty situation where you upset everyone for no benefit.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am sorry but I don't get the empathy emote spam on harmless posts on a discussion forum. What about my post requires empathy? I am not even upset about the delay, just trying to make sense of how it is playing out. Always comes off as a pussy move by losers with nothing to say.

O-N-E

I am sorry but I don't get the empathy emote spam on harmless posts on a discussion forum. What about my post requires empathy? I am not even upset about the delay, just trying to make sense of how it is playing out. Always comes off as a pussy move by losers with nothing to say.

Imagine being trigg'd by an innocent empathy reaction being used for the purpose it was made for.

Absolutely pathetic. Talk about pussy....

Also, a liar to boot.

Must be some sort of contractual obligation that it has to air before the streaming services gets to distribute it. Otherwise it makes no sense that the streaming services wouldn't put it up. They have the episode, it isn't like they are just putting up TV rips. Pretty shitty situation where you upset everyone for no benefit.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
You have been removed from the thread as you can’t keep your cool. Lay off the insults.
Imagine being trigg'd by an innocent empathy reaction being used for the purpose it was made for.

Absolutely pathetic. Talk about pussy....

Also, a liar to boot.
Nah I wasn't triggered fuckface. Just calling you a pussy loser which you seem to be based on the cunty response. I don't need empathy for anything that was written you piece of shit poster. I personally wasn't upset over the episode being delayed but there is a long of angst on social media over it which is what i was referring to. There is enough good anime to watch this season so no big deal. Enjoy being a fucking loser you cunt that has to spam empathy emotes at people like a fucking idiot. I am not triggered now, I just enjoy calling piece of shit people like you names.

bronk

Banned
Nah I wasn't *triggered* fuckface. Just calling you a pussy loser which you seem to be based on the cunty response. I don't need empathy for anything that was written you piece of shit poster. I personally wasn't *upset* over the episode being delayed but there is a long of *angst* on social media over it which is what i was referring to. There is enough good anime to watch this season so no big deal. Enjoy being a fucking loser you cunt that has to spam empathy emotes at people like a fucking idiot. I am not *triggered* now, I just enjoy calling piece of shit people like you names.

O-N-E

Nah I wasn't triggered fuckface. Just calling you a pussy loser which you seem to be based on the cunty response. I don't need empathy for anything that was written you piece of shit poster. I personally wasn't upset over the episode being delayed but there is a long of angst on social media over it which is what i was referring to. There is enough good anime to watch this season so no big deal. Enjoy being a fucking loser you cunt that has to spam empathy emotes at people like a fucking idiot. I am not triggered now, I just enjoy calling piece of shit people like you names.

I feel like you have some sort of resentment. I don't really know why as I never thought of you negatively before. Not sure if we exchanged words. All I did was use an empathy emote because I was sad the episode wasn't around. Didn't want to waste a post agreeing with you, so I just used the react like I did with LordOfChaos LordOfChaos who behaved like a normal human being and didn't spaz out.

It must be awful being so miserable.

image.png

LordOfChaos

It's rescheduled for Sunday. Episodes 14 and 15 will be airing on the same day.

Season 4 episodes have been so emotionally intense...Two in one day. Time for depression??

But the ultimate subversion of expectations would be if everything turns out happy...Right Isayama? ...Right?

Yoda

Got to see most of episode 14, thoughts:
Table scene got cut down a bit dialogue wise. Eren is turning into a comic book villain, esp since the dialogue about the ackermans being cut when he opts to break Mikasa's heart. I felt the manga had this problem as well, his personality and new found ideology come out of no where and the reader/viewer is expected to essentially use their imagination.

Levi vs. Zeke was great, other than the misplaced rap sound.

Last 3 minutes got cut off due to the quake announcement.

Overall a mostly great adaptation of the source material.

O-N-E

Fourteenth Episode (73) - Savagery
  • Two men who essentially sacrificed their own lives for each other on separate occasions, are now duking it out with fists. Sad times.
  • Don't know how true Eren's claim that Bertholt has a hold over Armin's mind is. The one about Mikasa seems at least partially true. Still, it seems doubtful that Eren actually hated her. Not sure what he's trying to accomplish by being so brutal to them.
  • Levi vs Zeke is classic and beautiful as always.
  • I was kind of OK with Floch up to a point, but doing that to Sadies was way over the line. There was no need at all. It's petty and cruel.
  • I'm completely fine with Levi torturing Zeke -_-.... Don't know what that says about me.

Episode art:

Ew1tTiiUYAQtHdI

Fifteenth Episode (74) - Sole Salvation

• I guess the key piece that changes the most here is that Zeke knew his parents were going to be found eventually and that would mean his entire family's death. He was convinced that mitigating the damage as much as possible by turning them in was the right move.
  • All the hatred he faced while outside the ghetto walls along with his family situation, turned him into a nihilist. Couple that with Mr. Ksaver's depressing past and you've got the perfect storm for the euthanasia plan. An awful plan of course, because all it boils down to essentially is giving up.
  • Which is why Eren being so quick to agree to said plan feels off. I guess I could be completely wrong, but I just don't see how Eren could simply accept a plan which is not too far off from the Marleyans' own solution for the Eldians. The only difference is that without the Eldians, Marley doesn't have their weapons anymore. However, they've lost so many titans already and their usefulness in war is rapidly declining. This feels off.
Episode Art:

Ew1tfxJVoAA9KYY

LordOfChaos

"Oh, this week has two episodes so I won't mind the to be continued as much"

Isayama: Fucking bombs Levi and cuts right after

Fuuuuuuuu! Better not do my boy dirty like that!

Spaceman292

Banned
Why is Levi such a moron? Zeke can survive an explosion and Levi can't. What reason does Zeke have not to blow them both up? He doesn't have any arms or legs. What's the point of giving him a bomb?

LordOfChaos

Why is Levi such a moron? Zeke can survive an explosion and Levi can't. What reason does Zeke have not to blow them both up? He doesn't have any arms or legs. What's the point of giving him a bomb?

Shifters can regenerate, but not if they're blasted to pieces. He was betting on Zeke not doing it because he and Ereh were part of the plan.

What Zeke is thinking, that I don't know.

Spaceman292

Banned
Shifters can regenerate, but not if they're blasted to pieces. He was betting on Zeke not doing it because he and Ereh were part of the plan.

What Zeke is thinking, that I don't know.
It's pretty unclear what they can and can't survive. Besides, he was blown up by four boomsticks literally ten minutes before that and he still lived. Just prune him regularly and you'll be fine. That elaborate thing with the explosives isn't needed.

LordOfChaos

It's pretty unclear what they can and can't survive. Besides, he was blown up by four boomsticks literally ten minutes before that and he still lived. Just prune him regularly and you'll be fine. That elaborate thing with the explosives isn't needed.

Inside the Titan, vs his people body. As long as their nervous system is blown to bits I think they're pretty dead.

GreenAlien

Apparently, there is going to be a final, for real this time promise, season starting in early 2022..

On one hand.. yay more AoT.. on the other hand, I caught up to the current season because I thought this was going to be it. Had I known, i would have waited until next year to watch the show :messenger_hushed:.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Guuuuuuhhh, they really going to leave it all hanging like that? Levi Heichou...

I hope they have the time this time to make the real ending absolutely pristine, nothing left that they wish they had time to do differently.

O-N-E

Sixteenth Episode (75) - Above and Below

• I do wonder if Armin really is moved by this euthanasia plan.
  • Jean with the big brain trying to figure out why Eren would hurt the two most important people to him.
  • Yelena using Nazi / Marleyan tactics to mark the different ranks of Eldians within the walls.
  • Gabi still on that demon shit.
  • Galliard from below, Reiner from above. Eren is ready.
  • Now we wait for judgment.
Episode art:

Exk8Zm-VIAIocW7

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

• I do wonder if Armin really is moved by this euthanasia plan.
  • Jean with the big brain trying to figure out why Eren would hurt the two most important people to him.

No way he is. The crying may have been genuine - maybe he figured out that Ereh couldn't possibly go with that plan with his freedom boner, maybe he figured out his real plan. But the reason he gave for crying definitely was not, he's trying to win Yelena over. And apparently she and Zeke are both overly quick to be moved by people agreeing with them, lol.

Jean has been a really good underrated character this season. He's level headed, smart, avoids needless collateral despite all the shit he's been through. And maybe fighting with Ereh so much helped him consider his frame of mind and what his plan may be.

Gabi's mind must have been chaos, it's glorious

Elysion

Banned
Btw, does anyone know/remember Claymore? It‘s a dark fantasy manga series by Norihiro Yagi that ran from 2001-2014, and also got an anime adaption in 2007 (though they only adapted the first eleven of twenty-seven volumes). The reason I bring this up is because it occurred to me that there are quite a few similarities between it and AoT. Not only because in both cases the characters are members of a specialized military organization that exists solely to hunt down man-eating monsters (some of which can even pose as humans), but especially due to

the fact that it is eventually revealed that the medieval world/continent Claymore takes place on is just a big island, which serves as a testing ground for a foreign empire to create those monsters as bioweapons, which it needs to fight another empire it is currently at war with. Oh, and some of the characters can turn into such monsters themselves.

I wonder if Isayama got some inspiration here…

For anyone’s who doesn‘t know it, I recommend checking out Claymore. It‘s pretty good, and just like AoT it gets even better once the ‚twist‘ is revealed.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The FINAL season.

So that was a lie. Winter 2022 wtf

Still the same season if it's split in two

f00815c2e7b2e39cdf28ac0b2e1d516b.gif

I hope this goes like season 3...Part 1 was still pretty good, but it was a lot of backstory and setup...Part 2 was gobsmackingly amazing and had a bunch of entries in the top 50 TV episodes of all time, all in a row.

Javthusiast

Banned
Still the same season if it's split in two

f00815c2e7b2e39cdf28ac0b2e1d516b.gif

I hope this goes like season 3...Part 1 was still pretty good, but it was a lot of backstory and setup...Part 2 was gobsmackingly amazing and had a bunch of entries in the top 50 TV episodes of all time, all in a row.

Trust me, if they adapt the chapters of the manga still left with the same care they did part 1, but now with hopefully even more time and less crunch, then it should easily top season 3 part 2.

MastaKiiLA

Trust me, if they adapt the chapters of the manga still left with the same care they did part 1, but now with hopefully even more time and less crunch, then it should easily top season 3 part 2.
No. Based on the pacing, part 1 of S4 will end right about where people should stop watching. Part 2 should animate very well, at least.

O-N-E

Seventeenth Episode (76) - Judgement
  • Ymir reforming Zeke with soil in a timeless space. I wonder if this is supposed to hint at something revelatory or if it's simple symbolism (sands of time).
  • It's interesting that Eren sees the substantial surprise attack by Marley as a foolish move by them. A lot of confidence for someone going up against 3 titans and an army.
  • Cool to see Armin is able to figure out the most likely scenario - Eren playing along with Yelena and Zeke's plans because ultimately the power is his to wield.
  • Onyakopon wondering how the Marleyans reorganized already, but if I remember correctly, Tybur made sure to group together the military personnel that he wanted to be killed by Eren. So clearly they had that element planned out.
  • Levi may have a heartbeat, but he's been messed up real bad.

Episode art:

FIqfSqraQAUKIUC

Edit: btw, there have been growing rumors of the final season not being the end. A movie, perhaps, to cap things off.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I knew it...Hange wouldn't let them check his pulse and only said he was dead when they were going to "double tap" him, then escaped into the river with his 'body' in that moment of distraction. My boy is hanging in there, but since Ackermans can't become titans it's hard to see how he'll recover enough to play a major role.

CGI and animation took a major step up from part one. I'm happy with Mappa if this is the baseline for quality for part 2. I do still wish we saw what a WIT ending would have looked like though (but, maybe budget blowout on a movie?)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Everything still feels so off. Gabi and crew get all the character moments despite remaining completely unlikeable, too. I’ll see it through though. I assume when Eren’s motives become clearer we’ll get a strong drive to the conclusion.

O-N-E

Everything still feels so off. Gabi and crew get all the character moments despite remaining completely unlikeable, too. I’ll see it through though. I assume when Eren’s motives become clearer we’ll get a strong drive to the conclusion.

My hunch is Falco will play a significant role down the line given certain strong hints from previous events (and symbolism), Gabi probably as well, but in this episode, I didn't think they overshadowed the others. Eren's old crew trying to sort out what they're supposed to do with Armin offering up his (in my opinion) likely scenario, that was a pretty big moment.

With regards to Eren, I think it's almost exactly as Armin laid it out, he's just trying to throw off his friends to hopefully make them stop caring about him (I see that as a hint to a self-sacrifice element happening down the line) and at the same time it makes his fake motivations more convincing to Zeke loyalists.

LordOfChaos

artworks-G0b0yXkXNlnPBZzq-nNBsKw-t500x500.jpg

People have compared her to Eren, but no, their stories are not the same. Gabi hated people she didn't know before they did anything to her, Eren saw his mom got ate first thing. Yeah she still a child soldier and gets some sympathy for that but Falco went through the same brainwashing but still has a brain left.

LordOfChaos

I keep watching the ending song and it's entirely convinced me that Eren isn't just gone mad and there's a lot more to this. Bad guys don't get odes like this.

Can't wait. But also don't want it to be over!

LordOfChaos

Sneak Attack...More like Pieck a Boo, am I right?

Character development focused episode. The illusion that Eren had everything under control came apart and the plan was kneecapped a few times. Gabbi finally having her moment of realizing the islanders were people just like them was good, and the bird cage symbolism was great. The loss of Sasha still driving home some realizations. Seems naive to assume people who would give up everything for their goals will stop just because Falco might have had some spinal fluid. Yelena total loco. Zeke's leave it to me, little brother. Could almost start to forget hating some of these guys. I guess that's the point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom