• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Audiophile GAF

T8SC

Jun 22, 2013
I cant pay for something that doesnt have true lossless audio.

I use Tidal. Quboz also looks interesting but I am happy with Tidal. Maybe not all the features of Spotify like some public playlists but its worth it for lossless.

This is my point to him and yet he pays more for less (quality) but still thinks it's the best option. :messenger_neutral: I can only assume it's the "I've always used this/done this so this is how it is" mentality.

Reactions: DGrayson
Nov 5, 2014
England
Here's one to ponder.

I had a discussion with a friend recently, he asked why I use Amazon Music Unlimited instead of Spotify, which he uses.

I said to him, how much do you pay, he replied £9.99.

I then asked, you have Amazon Prime yes? He replied, yeah why?

I then said, so you pay £2 more than me for Spotify, have no HD audio and a similar catalogue of titles.

To which I was met with "Yeah but Spotify is better".

How? I asked. Amazon is cheaper and has better quality audio.

To which I got back something like "Because it's Spotify, everyone uses it, its just better".

So can someone here please tell me why a person would choose Spotify over something like Amazon Music Unlimited?

I think Apple Music also does HD Audio, not sure of the price though. Others like Tidal do too but they aren't as well known here to the "mainstream".
You can't get amazon easily on all devices. My pi streamer has the spotty app (run picoreplayer on my player with another pi hosting LMS). You can't use amazon with LMS.

T8SC

Jun 22, 2013
You can't get amazon easily on all devices. My pi streamer has the spotty app (run picoreplayer on my player with another pi hosting LMS). You can't use amazon with LMS.

Ok point taken, but this person in particular uses an Android phone, which has access to both apps.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Here's one to ponder.

I had a discussion with a friend recently, he asked why I use Amazon Music Unlimited instead of Spotify, which he uses.

I said to him, how much do you pay, he replied £9.99.

I then asked, you have Amazon Prime yes? He replied, yeah why?

I then said, so you pay £2 more than me for Spotify, have no HD audio and a similar catalogue of titles.

To which I was met with "Yeah but Spotify is better".

How? I asked. Amazon is cheaper and has better quality audio.

To which I got back something like "Because it's Spotify, everyone uses it, its just better".

So can someone here please tell me why a person would choose Spotify over something like Amazon Music Unlimited?

I think Apple Music also does HD Audio, not sure of the price though. Others like Tidal do too but they aren't as well known here to the "mainstream".

Spotify has a great interface and their recommendations are top notch. That said, I left Spotify in 2020 or early 21 for Appple Music after being a paid subscriber since 2011. No real reason for departing other than the bundle Apple has works out well for me. Hi-res is a nice bonus. And…
Airpods max.

its the same shit i had with the pro’s all over again..

fuck everything else.. these will be my main cans.

nothing is as easy to use as this.
Apple did it again.
I finally got a pair of pink AirPods Max and spatial audio & Dolby Atmos is quite incredible when done well. These might be my favorite versatile pair of headphones. Don’t get me wrong, my DT 1990s sound better and are still the best sounding, they just don’t work well on the go. My somewhat recent purchase of great quality bookshelf speakers means I barely ever wear headphones.
I’m really looking forward to trying the Max on my next work trip in a few weeks.

Oh, and the ANC is quite good at least around the house.

Last edited:

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
I finally got a pair of pink AirPods Max and spatial audio & Dolby Atmos is quite incredible when done well. These might be my favorite versatile pair of headphones. Don’t get me wrong, my DT 1990s sound better and are still the best sounding, they just don’t work well on the go. My somewhat recent purchase of great quality bookshelf speakers means I barely ever wear headphones.
I’m really looking forward to trying the Max on my next work trip in a few weeks.

Oh, and the ANC is quite good at least around the house.
spatial audio
And dolby atmos is crazy.

i was never impressed by fake surround before..

i am now. And i agree on apple. It just works.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

sankt-Antonio

Jun 22, 2008
Munich
Are there any Atmos Song demos out there? Only thing I dislike about the Max's are that I get mayor jaw pain when I have them on and... eat at the same time.

Turns out I eat a lot when I have cans on. Lol.

Battery time is also very bad, but pairing just works flawlessly with the phone and Mac.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Are there any Atmos Song demos out there? Only thing I dislike about the Max's are that I get mayor jaw pain when I have them on and... eat at the same time.

Battery time is also very bad, but pairing just works flawlessly with the phone and Mac.
Older/Gilmour-era stuff by Pink Floyd.
Gold-Diggers Sound by Leon Bridges.
Abbey Road 2019 Mix by The Beatles.
Apple has has specific genre playlists as demo of spatial audio. Lots to choose from.

Reallink

Jan 7, 2008

So for those of you who still buy into subjective audiophilia nonsense, how do you reconcile that this guy was allegedly hearing profound differences in all the $4000 DACs/AMPs/Streamers he's peddled over the years from an echo chamber so acoustically terrible, an average speaking voice is almost unintelligible?

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

Jun 22, 2008
Munich
Older/Gilmour-era stuff by Pink Floyd.
Gold-Diggers Sound by Leon Bridges.
Abbey Road 2019 Mix by The Beatles.
Apple has has specific genre playlists as demo of spatial audio. Lots to choose from.
Only available on Apple music ? I don’t have a subscription (nor any other streaming service ). Is there any my thing I can buy or test elsewhere ?

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

sankt-Antonio

Jun 22, 2008
Munich
So for those of you who still buy into subjective audiophilia nonsense, how do you reconcile that this guy was allegedly hearing profound differences in all the $4000 DACs/AMPs/Streamers he's peddled over the years from an echo chamber so acoustically terrible, an average speaking voice is almost unintelligible?
If he made his videos prior to this in that room he’s a clown. Also I don’t get why he’s on about only treating high frequencies. He sits in a box shaped room, low frequency standing waves will be much more of a problem. Diffusion is the most esoteric treatment ever. With the size of these blocks he’s scattering frequencies he can barely hear at his age.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Only available on Apple music ? I don’t have a subscription (nor any other streaming service ). Is there any my thing I can buy or test elsewhere ?
I'm not sure if anyone else has Dolby Atmos or Spatial Audio. Apple Music usually has a free month trial so you can give it a go. But...

The downside is, to my knowledge, only the AirPod Pros & AirPod Maxes support this feature so you're going to need a friend with a pair.

Last edited:

tsumake

Dec 3, 2019

Is this preferable to headphones that have good soundstage and imaging?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
Is this preferable to headphones that have good soundstage and imaging?
I haven't put in nearly enough hours to really give a weighted opinion, but my first take is that yes, Atmos/Spatial Audio go to insane levels of imaging. Transparency mode makes them sound more like open-back / increase soundstage but again, I've not put in enough hours to truly weigh-in.