• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Hype Check - Where's the hype?

I was excited until gameplay trailers and opinions came out. Was hoping for a Skyrim reskin, but looks like a Far Cry reskin and coupled with Ubisoft plus season pass made me veer into “meh” territory.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'll play it with a friend in a week, thanks to Ubi+.
But I'm sure I'm gonna be disappointed.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Seriously guys, the next big Ubisoft game, which had a very promising reveal, is coming out in 5 days. No launch trailers, we don't even know when the review embargo is. None of the reviewing outlets or reviewers are talking about it on social media.

What's the hype gauge like on GAF? Are you getting the game at launch or sitting it out?

Did the GTA announcement kill any excitement for this ?

There wasn't a lot of hype for AC: Mirage and it turned out to be be a solid seller. This Avatar game could turn out to be a popular Christmas present, who knows.

I loved the two Avatar movies, but I'm not picking this up because it's a first person game. And it looks like it's telling the same story as the first Avatar movie, but now the protagonist is (of course) a woman.

Isa

I might check out Starship Pocahontas at a later date if it gets decent word of mouth from the community, but I'm not expecting too much. Not a fan of Cameron or Avatar in particular, and Ubisoft is not a publisher I want to support at full price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nobody cares about Avatar and Ubisoft.
Like.. I loved the first movie at the cinema but i never rewatched it and never wanted to.
I also had no idea 2nd movie came out until it was out of cinemas. And nobody I know have seen it

The game itself looks just fine. It doesnt look particularly bad in any way. I could see myself maybe getting it on ps5 if it's at least for visuals

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You are wrong. It’s Avatar with the Far Cry license.
giphy.gif

• LOL

RickSanchez

it's just another Far Cry game with an Avatar coat of paint.

Far Cry: Pandora, if you will

Sure it could be great, but i'll wait for reviews. and then, i'll wait for a sale

[Sigma]

Nope. Never cared for Avatar in general. This game does not look interesting neither to me.

Last edited:
Far Cry games are a guilty pleasure and the Avatar skin only makes it more interesting.

Ubi can re-skin Far Cry as much as they want and I will buy the shit outta whatever they put out.

Xtib81

There's absolutely zero hype. I canceled my preorder after the previews last month.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

DeepSpace5D

Just doesn’t seem right for an Avatar game to be first person. It seems like a game that should be third person to me, and their decision just makes it feel like they chose to go with an Avatar art style for their next Farcry game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The minute they announced this game I know exactly how this game is gonna play out and its same reason why I have zero hype for Assassin's Creed in Japan.

No matter the setting it gonna play just like any other Ubisoft game, if you in to that then you are getting exactly what you want.

I’m more excited for the Metroidvania Prince of Persia game, that 80% of people here instantly wrote off, because they started seeing red thinking the protagonist is the Prince himself.

I predict that will be the highest user rated Ubisoft game next year and a sleeper hit.

I've been religiously following Avatar since 2005 and I like Ubisoft games but I'm done with Uplay. Or whatever they call it now - I just type Uplay in the Start menu and it works.
I'm waiting for the Steam version. Uplay is more than 10 years behind Steam.

Humdinger

Just not feeling it. The Far Cry formula is running a little thin. I'll probably get it when it reaches around $30.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Not much.

They couldn’t have chosen a more unfortunate release.
GTA or TGA, pick your poison, might swallow any hype this initially had by next week.

Last edited:
I think Avatar is dumb as fuck and I absolutely loathe the design of the N’avi so that doesn’t help with excitement, I guess.

If I could pick the human side and carbetbomb those blue cunts I’d be there day one.
strong words... but i do kinda feel where you're coming from...

Denton

I am not hyped, but I am curious how will Pandora look on snowdrop, so I will sub to Ubisoft plus for a month to play through it. Someday.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The Avatar IP is really unappealing to me.

The Far Cry formula is also unappealing to me.

Waiting for the next "big step" from these games.

Top Bottom