• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Hype Check - Where's the hype?

Friends Lol GIF by Katelyn Tarver

Ozzie666

Might be worth it after the ubisoft quick price drops, which happens to nearly all their titles. Overship, underdeliver. I am curious though if the Avarar license makes a difference.

Neolombax

I feel like the ps3 Avatar game had more options for weapons and vehicles. This Avatar game seems pretty limited, also they put emphasis on pulling out plants for harvest...which is very odd.

I just watched Avatar way of water 4K on a 77 inch OLED with Sonos setup (bass, surrounds, etc.) and imo it’s definitely a imax movie. It doesn’t look that impressive at home, to the point I think some other games (such as horizon or final fantasy 16) look more impressive art style wise. So I actually don’t think this will be all that successful. It looks amazing as a movie in imax, but looks like everything else video game wise.

Edit: I think horizon burning shores has more of the “avatar effect” than the avatar game itself will

Last edited:

Valt7786

Its just far cry but you're really tall. Avatar are fine movies but its been so long between them at this point, do that many people give a shit about having a videogame for it?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

xrnzaaas

No hype, stopped caring about Far Cry and its clones and I was never interested in Avatar beyond enjoying the visuals of the first movie. I'd actually be more interested if Ubisoft made another Primal game, maybe this time with dinosaurs as well.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Avatar is a shit universe really. 2 very bloated movies, the first being a very cookie cutter adventure flick and the second a revenge flick stretched out to well over 3 hours. The Avatars aren't memorable either. I dunno, the movies were huge box office hits but there are many IP I'd rather see realized in a game.

IAmRei

No hype, stopped caring about Far Cry and its clones and I was never interested in Avatar beyond enjoying the visuals of the first movie. I'd actually be more interested if Ubisoft made another Primal game, maybe this time with dinosaurs as well.
Farcry primal + dinosaurs, will be awesome imo

Stuart360

The game looks stunning imo. And as a fan of Ubisofts open world formula, the gameplay looks great to me too.
Cant wait to explore Pandora to be honest, its just a shame i'm probably going to have to play at 30fps if i want most of the bells and wristles.

Last edited:
I think you're one of the very few here on GAF who's hyped about it, adamsapple adamsapple

That being said, I'll probably give it a shot when it's at least 50% off, considering it's developed by Massive and I enjoyed both The Division games they made.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
🙄 the highest grossing film of all time, still a very popular brand. God there’s some awful takes in here sometimes… it is mind numbing
Who even saw avatar 2?

I haven’t met a single person stupid enough to see blue pocohantes 2.

Your idea of “popular” is the bad take.

Last edited:
Who even saw avatar 2?

I haven’t met a single person stupid enough to see blue pocohantes 2.

Your idea of “popular” is the bad take.

Ridiculous. 2 Grossed like 2.5 billion dollars. If you’re gonna be a dick you could at least baseline have some basic understanding of the subject matter you’re talking about.

I never said I liked Avatar. Just explaining its popular. Anything else you wanna be wrong about?

Last edited:

phant0m

Entirely waiting on reviews tbh. the IP isn't *that* interesting to me and Ubi has been putting out bloated mediocrity since Origins so it's probably gonna be a wait for sale if at all.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Deep sale, maybe if it reviews well. Just looks very uninspired. I’m sure it will be good fun like far cry but just fast food type gaming.

MiguelItUp

Not really hyped at all, honestly. But I was never really a big Avatar fan in the first place. I'm sure for those that are, this game will be for them across the board, and for good reasons. For me, it looks a bit more entertaining than the recent Far Cry iterations, so I guess it has that going for it. Maybe I'll wait and get it on the cheap? Not really sure. But the urgency to have it immediately does not exist at all.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Seriously guys, the next big Ubisoft game, which had a very promising reveal, is coming out in 5 days. No launch trailers, we don't even know when the review embargo is. None of the reviewing outlets or reviewers are talking about it on social media.

What's the hype gauge like on GAF? Are you getting the game at launch or sitting it out?

Did the GTA announcement kill any excitement for this ?
Because Avatar and it's lore and world suck (outside of looking pretty)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Imagine trying to do launch marketing when the day before you launch the GTA VI trailer comes out.

Seriously, I dont think anyone gives a shit about anything else gaming related this week besides that trailer.

Well maybe that and seeing how long Christopher Judge can remain on stage before being carried off or drowned out by some overture and a commercial break.

Top Bottom