• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Frontiers of Pandora New Trailer Released. Releases on December 7 | Ubisoft Game Foward 2023

Larry David Reaction GIF

The Office Thank You GIF

I'm scratching my head wondering why so many in here seem to be jizzing themselves over the visuals. I've watched the trailer and gameplay demo 3x now and I still can't wrap my head around what is supposed to be so "stunning" about these graphics.

RDR2 looked leagues better... far better IQ and visual consistency.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah... I'm still struggling to see what is so next-gen about these visuals.

I think some of you are confusing a vibrant color palette with next-gen graphics.

Everything from the rather flat-looking lighting model to the fuzzy dithered high-frequency detail, to the basic-looking shadows places this firmly in the "PS4-level" camp.
Lighting quality, draw distance, scale, foliage density, water rendering, volumetric bounce lighting, reflections. Everything is better than anything last gen has produced. Including RDR2 and Horizon FW.

This is what the current king of graphics looks like:

FcenH0hXoAEbGJ1

FcenIUKXEAY32fh

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

FMkvCt1WUAIgpKP

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

Lighting quality, draw distance, scale, foliage density, water rendering, volumetric bounce lighting, reflections. Everything is better than anything last gen has produced. Including RDR2 and Horizon FW.

This is what the current king of graphics looks like:

FcenH0hXoAEbGJ1

FcenIUKXEAY32fh

FMOkGR5WUAckE6J

FMkvCt1WUAIgpKP

FcenHWiWQAQ08UQ

Looool wut?!?

Those screens look infinitely better than the terrible IQ of that Avatar game.

Are you actually being serious....??? Like actually, genuinely serious?!?

Like, I feel like I'm being punked.... Austin where you at?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looool wut?!?

Those screens look infinitely better than the terrible IQ of that Avatar game.

Are you actually being serious....??? Like actually, genuinely serious?!?

Like, I feel like I'm being punked.... Austin where you at?
who said anything about IQ? Read my post. I have said it twice now.

I completely disagree. See below. The level of detail, lighting quality, draw distance and asset quality are all better than horizon. HFW is an excellent looking game but it has several drawbacks that you will see addressed in Horizon 3 which will undoubtedly look better than avatar.

The PC version of avatar will have better IQ if thats so important to you. Everything else is better. I am honestly flabbergasted that you think i am joking. The level of detail and lighting quality is so obvious to me and literally everyone else in this thread that it shouldnt come as a shock to yo that some people think it looks better.

And its Ashton, not Austin Kutcher.

Last edited:

lestar

Good to see "next-gen" games starting to come up. The graphics are really amazing (except for explosions), but this is Ubisoft we are talking about. This will be a beautiful static world after playing Zelda totk

Neo_game

IMO both Horizon and Avatar both look great. It all comes to how little downgrades game get from trailer to retail version. lol.

Horzon had under water lighting downgrade but otherwise did very well.

From looking at the trailer the self shadowing looks really good which helps give a lot of those earlier scenes depth and pop compared to a last generation retail videogame. Besides that from a technical pov this looks like a PS4 game to me; I can literally still see polys in some of the models.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Awesome! I thought it was difficult to know how much was gameplay though, they showed tons of third person views, I want an uncut gameplay video.
Graphics - Absolute top notch!

Last edited:

CGNoire

No way, Horizon has way better character models, foliage, and lighting.

This looks like the multiplat version of Burning Shores.

And its Ubisoft. It will be downgraded. You can put money on it
Yah I feel like Im taking crazy pills cause you got alot of my Graphics Whore allys in here praising it from top to bottom and while I still need to checkoutt a highbitrate version of the trailer on a big screen I cant help but feel way less enthused by it.

My current assessment is the foilage density sure is very high, it has good draw distances and some of the lighting here and there looked good but for the most part it was littered with unimpressive ....even outdated character assets and still seemed to have one foot in PS4 rendering territory. Looked to be a pretty noticeable downgrade from the og video. Still looked way better than SM2 which I think has skewed some peoples exspectations. I think some just really like the aesthetic of Pandora. Like me and OT SW I probably overrrated Outlaws visuals for the same reasons.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I think some of you are confusing a vibrant color palette with next-gen graphics.

Everything from the rather flat-looking lighting model to the fuzzy dithered high-frequency detail, to the basic-looking shadows places this firmly in the "PS4-level" camp.
Idk if I agree with "firmly" ps4 camp but its definitly not as good looking as others here are claiming. I feel like the cross gen period is starting to break us graphics whores.....even I feel my standards slowly drifting down. I do agree that its most likely this game is there preffered aesthetic.

midnightAI

IMO both Horizon and Avatar both look great. It all comes to how little downgrades game get from trailer to retail version. lol.

Horzon had under water lighting downgrade but otherwise did very well.

It didn't? Only that area is darker, go elsewhere in the sea and it's as bright as the reveal trailer. Changes happen throughout development but Horizon didn't get any downgrades as far as I can see.

Damn this looks beautiful.
Not sure if I will enjoy the gameplay too much though as I got tired of the good old Far Cry formula a while ago.

SABRE220

The Office Thank You GIF

I'm scratching my head wondering why so many in here seem to be jizzing themselves over the visuals. I've watched the trailer and gameplay demo 3x now and I still can't wrap my head around what is supposed to be so "stunning" about these graphics.

RDR2 looked leagues better... far better IQ and visual consistency.
Leagues better yeah no... but avatar isnt the massive jump everyone seems to be implying, its visually definitely significantly less consistent than rdr2 and I m still trying to figure out how its a jump from forbideen west/burning shores. It does somethings very well like foliage density and draw distance but the actual assets and micro details suffer as a result.

mopspear

I know there was a lot of arguing about Aang's race, but making him blue (aka the Skeeter Valentine play), isn't going to make anyone happy.

mnkl13

while watching the trailer it was hard not to compare the visuals to forbidden west, and the later looks more impressive. and forbidden west is a cross-gen. i don't think that snowdrop engine is up to the task

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I thought the game looked amazing! I don't see too much Far Cry like you guys are seeing. It looks, sounds, and feels like Avatar.

DeNoro

Neo Member
I think the game looks nice, some areas are beautiful, but i don't understand the choice to make the game 1st person. Like some people said, it almost feel like a repurposed Far Cry by the looks of the gameplay. It's jarring to me the change between 1st and 3rd person view when you riding a creature.

Boss Mog

Why would I want to play as the blue aliens fighting against the humans? Wake me up when they make a game where I play as a human shooting the blue aliens.

93xfan

Banned
Of all the companies to wow me for the first time this gen, it turned out to be fucking ubisoft.
But then again, they were the ones to do it last gen too...with ac unity. Shame they downgraded their later games.
I’m always waiting for the next downgrade from them. Just can’t trust them unfortunately.

Top Bottom