• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar Frontiers of Pandora New Trailer Released. Releases on December 7 | Ubisoft Game Foward 2023

Stuart360

Love both AVATAR and Star Wars, but i honestly thought this game looked better than the Star Wars game, especially gameplay wise.
In fact this is a bit of a dream game really for me, Ubisoft open world formula, in AVATAR's universe, and Pandora.

I just hope they put full effort into this and didnt just buy a big license because far Cry 6 underperformed.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its very Far Cry, but the world of Avatar is so very stunning. I can definitely see this as a benchmark title when it releases.

The phrase "Visually stunning", is the first thing that comes to mind when seeing the trailers. But then again, same thing can be said about most of the staff Ubisoft shows, that end up being another drop in the bucket of "overpromise, underdeliver". Pre-rendered, CGI like gameplay trailers are Ubisoft's Forte after all, and so is the generic gameplay formula they've adopted over the years, which never seems to change.

hyperbertha

Eh the character models in this don't look as good. The fooliage seems more detailed tho.
Tbf we didn't see any human character models up close afaik. Only in suits or from a distance. The navi looked pretty high poly so the detail is there. The textures are on a whole different level.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Some official high res screenshots
Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_001.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_003.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_002.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_004.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_005.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_006.jpg

Fbh

The visuals look amazing.
The rest looks like same old Ubisoft formula.

Still with those nice visuals and 2 player coop for the campaign I might bite.

hussar16

downgrade is real . but anyway i didnt know what i was expecting it sort of makes me less excited after seeing the gameplay, i though id be more rpg not so action

Belthazar

Would love this if it was in third person... as a first person game it's an easy pass. A shame, the world is gourgeous.

BeardGawd

Banned
Some official high res screenshots
Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_001.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_003.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_002.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_004.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_005.jpg

Avatar-Frontiers-of-Pandora_2023_06-12-23_006.jpg
Holyshit this looks incredible.

Really the only mistake they are making is not doing a marketing agreement with Sony. That did wonders for Hogwarts Legacy. The quality and accuracy to the source material is amazing. It just needs the right marketing to truly take off!

M1987

Looks worse than Horizon: Burning Shores, I officially give up. Someone call me when PS6 is out.
Does it fuck 😂 Horizon is clearly the best looking game out right now,but this looks a level above it if it actually releases looking like that

Does it fuck 😂 Horizon is clearly the best looking game out right now,but this looks a level above it if it actually releases looking like that
The environments are gorgeous, but the characters are a bit flat (lower quality animation and materials/lighting) in comparison to the ones in Horizon FW.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No way, Horizon has way better character models, foliage, and lighting.

This looks like the multiplat version of Burning Shores.

And its Ubisoft. It will be downgraded. You can put money on it

midnightAI

'level above', I keep seeing this and the parts that look like actual in-game (the first person parts) do not look levels above at all.

And yeh, they already downgraded from the first trailer, let's see if it gets downgraded again as is typical with Ubisoft showings.

Bridges

I actually started laughing when they showed marking enemies before attacking an outpost. I can't believe their big Avatar game is actually just the 300th Far Cry game.

That being said, game looks beautiful. I don't even slightly care about either Avatar movie but that world looks so lush I just want to see it. Two-player co-op may have been enough to push this to a buy.

iorek21

Might be close to Far Cry, but at least it has new animations.

Far Cry is still using the same ones from 2012.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well shit, looks like I might have to buy another Ubisoft game. If the gameplay overview is really what the console experience looks like, they've knocked it out of the park and delivered a proper next-gen game.

Myths

This looks nuts, definitely orders above that junk they released in 2009. If there exists an option for third-person, even better.

A skill tree, now where have I seen that especially represented like so visually? Oh about just about every modern game ever with some form of RPG elements.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It looks worse than Horizon tbh
I completely disagree. See below. The level of detail, lighting quality, draw distance and asset quality are all better than horizon. HFW is an excellent looking game but it has several drawbacks that you will see addressed in Horizon 3 which will undoubtedly look better than avatar.

Just watch the first person parts with the hand up and bow/gun, that's what the game looks like.
I went ahead and cut some gifs featuring only the scenes where its obvious its gameplay. left out all the fancy cutscene graphics. As well as other first person shots that were pans with no character movements just to be sure.

XFA98FH.gif

9kYnN4u.gif

5EiOpFS.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

I completely disagree. See below. The level of detail, lighting quality, draw distance and asset quality are all better than horizon. HFW is an excellent looking game but it has several drawbacks that you will see addressed in Horizon 3 which will undoubtedly look better than avatar.

I went ahead and cut some gifs featuring only the scenes where its obvious its gameplay. left out all the fancy cutscene graphics. As well as other first person shots that were pans with no character movements just to be sure.

XFA98FH.gif

9kYnN4u.gif

5EiOpFS.gif

MN9lwqo.gif

Yeah... I'm still struggling to see what is so next-gen about these visuals.

I think some of you are confusing a vibrant color palette with next-gen graphics.

Everything from the rather flat-looking lighting model to the fuzzy dithered high-frequency detail, to the basic-looking shadows places this firmly in the "PS4-level" camp.

The environments are gorgeous, but the characters are a bit flat (lower quality animation and materials/lighting) in comparison to the ones in Horizon FW.
I think it largely looks better than FW, the only major issue I have is the explosions - they look off to me for some reason. Like last gen off

My main issue with FW is the lighting - I jumped from that to Jedi Survivor and the difference in how the lighting looks is actually crazy and made survivor look kinda better in some spots - even tho it’s objectively worse looking in all areas except the lighting, if Horizon has some type of RTGI for the third one it will be unstoppable

Last edited:
Top Bottom