• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A New Trailer for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora has been released

SaintALia

Hmm, when they said 'features trailer', I assumed they meant overall gameplay features. But they're telling us some specific PS5 features like haptic feedback, 3d audio, adaptive triggers etc.

It looks pretty though, but while I like Farcry type games, I can't dive into another one until they've massively improved the AI and incorporate more interesting physics based interactions into the gameplay.

DaGwaphics

It's 2023, don't release your game trailers at 1080p on YT, hopefully they'll get a higher res up soon.

Game still looks really nice to me, I figured they had done a bit of a bullshot with the announcement trailer anyway, they generally do.

//DEVIL//

Its sad such a beautiful game will go unnoticed thanks to the poor marketing and the avatar hype was just a fad.

Looks very beautiful and I really hope it does well for the sake of the team

King Dazzar

Great to see haptics and adaptive triggers confirmed. Fingers crossed for this. Not sure about the eco warrior gameplay bits I've seen previously, but hopefully lots of gunplay.

CamHostage

Have to watch the second film before it releases.
it takes place before the second movie

Still worth seeing Avatar 2 beforehand just to re-immerse into that world. (Avatar is a weird kind of non-stick experience, where you think nothing of it until you're watching one of the movies and then suddenly you're all about it through whatever magic Cameron wields.)

But yeah, not only are the characters from the movie apparently not included (I think the original game did the same thing, telling an Avatar side-story,) but it looks to have none of the sea life and island culture of Avatar: The Way of Water. (That stuff would make for decent sequel or expansion material if this game does well, but it's better that game #1 focuses on exploring the land and flying, as that's what people picture when they first think of Avatar even after the sequel.)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Its sad such a beautiful game will go unnoticed thanks to the poor marketing and the avatar hype was just a fad.

Looks very beautiful and I really hope it does well for the sake of the team

Fad?

Both movies made over $2 Billion a PIECE! How can you call that a fad?

No way is the actual game going to look like this phony ass gameplay trailer, which has WAY too good image quality to be on anything other than a high end PC. If it is taken from the ps5 then they've edited in a way to look smoother.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Its a Far Cry reskin IMO

How much you wanna bet you have to scale some tall object to unlock waypoints on your map
Ahhh, the Ubisoft formula®...

Also, don't forget camps which you have to clear, companions/gadgets which let you scan and tag the enemies and about a gazillion of icons on the map as to satisfy gamer's OCD.

SJRB

Gold Member
Fad?

Both movies made over $2 Billion a PIECE! How can you call that a fad?

Let's be real here: both movies came, made a bazillion dollars but immediately got deleted from the collective mindset. A lot of high-grossing ultra popular movies leave some kind of mark on culture, but Avatar leaves none. It's like people go see this movie and do a format:c when they walk out the theatre.

Nobody ever talks about Avatar, nobody references Avatar, nobody memes about Avatar. Nobody cares yet everyone goes see these movies.

It's bizarre, really.

unlurkified

Unfortunately it looks like this game has ‘flop’ written all over it. Release timing, lack of advertising, fairly unpopular IP among gamers, relatively shallow-looking gameplay, etc. I really hope Massive doesn’t implode from this cuz SW Outlaws looks pretty good and I’d really want to see a The Division 3 some day.

GymWolf

No way is the actual game going to look like this phony ass gameplay trailer, which has WAY too good image quality to be on anything other than a high end PC. If it is taken from the ps5 then they've edited in a way to look smoother.
Dude the game was already downgraded from the reveal, they are not gonna downgrade twice so close to launch (i think)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Let's be real here: both movies came, made a bazillion dollars but immediately got deleted from the collective mindset. A lot of high-grossing ultra popular movies leave some kind of mark on culture, but Avatar leaves none. It's like people go see this movie and do a format:c when they walk out the theatre.

Nobody ever talks about Avatar, nobody references Avatar, nobody memes about Avatar. Nobody cares yet everyone goes see these movies.

It's bizarre, really.

This is only true if you believe Twitter and social media in general is the best guide to understanding culture. Mind you, people said the 2nd movie would flop for the same reasons that you stated here in bold. Is it Jurassic Park or Batman? No, but it is an IP that has left its mark on the general public.

RespawnX

It's bizarre, really.

Ever heard of James Cameron? It's not bizarre, he's one of the few who know how to make a cinema movie to use that fucking huge screen and technology properly. The 3D effects in The Way of Water were literally from another planet. His films attract people who go to the movies once or twice a year and want to see something really cool. That's more people than you might think.

Dude the game was already downgraded from the reveal, they are not gonna downgrade twice so close to launch (i think)

I just know that the actual game's iq will be worse. I've seen it with soooo many games. I don't know what trickery they use to do it but they will. I'm not talking graphics downgrade just that the iq will be a mess, unlike this cherry picked, pristine looking trailer (that yes has already been downgraded from early trailer). This game is pushing harder graphics settings than Alan Wake 2, it's open world, and ...it's Ubisoft.

GymWolf

I just know that the actual game's iq will be worse. I've seen it with soooo many games. I don't know what trickery they use to do it but they will. I'm not talking graphics downgrade just that the iq will be a mess, unlike this cherry picked, pristine looking trailer (that yes has already been downgraded from early trailer). This game is pushing harder graphics settings than Alan Wake 2, it's open world, and ...it's Ubisoft.
I doubt that the iq is gonna be worse than a yt video with shitty compression.

Maybe if perf mode is very low res, but quality mode should be good iq wise.

Playing on pc is always the right answer if you ask me :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom