• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora | Review Thread

RickSanchez

so it is basically Far Cry: Pandora, and has the same structure, and the same shortcomings of a generic open-world Far Cry game

Season 4 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Edit: Just watched ACG's review. He thinks better of it than recent Far Cry games, recommends a buy. I'll still wait for a sale but im more hopeful now.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

"While it has some novel ideas, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora's extremely repetitive quest design, underwhelming progression, and wholly monotonous gear system make it one of the most forgettable open world games of 2023."

Yeah that's what I feared. Even though MASSIVE's Division was a looker it was still plagued with this issue.
Ubisoft, why you gotta be SO mediocre in everything you do.

Topher

Gold Member
Love how some people still think a 70% average means the game is 'bad'...

For me, this is exactly the score I was expecting it to get as both a licenced and Ubisoft crafted game. I will say that I have enjoyed many, many games over the years that have scored 70% on average from the professional reviews so this doesn't put me off the game (I will be playing it on PC). Ubisoft make solid games that are undeniably fun to play at least for a while but they rarely make exceptional games. This is mostly due to their formulaic approach to game design that plays it safe but I guess I cannot blame them for cashing in on a winning formula, particularly with how much it costs to make a triple A game these days.

Exactly. 7/10 for me means wait a bit because it will probably go on sale, but does not mean the game is bad at all. Like you, I've played plenty of really good 7/10 games. This 8+/10 or nah attitude is really strange to me.

As it is, I got the game for free with a GPU purchase so I'll be trying it out on my own regardless. I just hope the technical issues are not that bad or fixed with a day one patch.

FunkMiller

So, another lazy retread of older games by Ubisoft with a new skinsuit laid over the top of it?

Colour me shocked.

Too many other good games around for stuff like this. Where this might have reviewed better in other years, the competition is so fierce this year that people haven't got time for these disappointingly average titles.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I hated FarCry Primal and this seems to be built off of it. With that said, I'll pick this up on discount eventually. It is Ubisoft so I know what to expect.

Hugare

Visuals look great, but the only thing that can make me endure the good old repetitive combat and mission design from Ubisoft is interesting stories/characters

And I'm 100% sure that I would be getting none of that from Avatar

Topher

Gold Member
ACG liked it quite a bit and he's one of the reviewers whose tastes align with mine the most. I wasn't planning on checking this out because I'm not typically a fan of 1st Person games, but maybe I will down the road when its inevitably cheaper. The ubisoft formula is cozy and I've never minded its existence, sometimes preferring it over that of the games it was influenced by - Immortal over BOTW, for example.

Definitely miss the days of UbiArt though. Valiant Hearts is a masterpiece.

Sounds like a solid game to me.

Ywap

Looks very promising for someone who enjoy their games 💪 Ubi+ here i come (again 🤣)

I don't wanna read any reviews because of spoilers but is anything said about PC performance issues like stuttering or so?

tommib

I don't get it. People acting like it's trash when it's rating above average. But that's how it goes when anything Ubi is mentioned. It may not be breaking any new ground with the formula but it also doesn't need to as there's clearly fans of it.
I think it’s just a general malaise with the formula. But you’re right, Ubisoft is the punching bag for a format that more prestige devs are using and getting away with it in the review circle.

King Dazzar

Exactly. 7/10 for me means wait a bit because it will probably go on sale, but does not mean the game is bad at all. Like you, I've played plenty of really good 7/10 games. This 8+/10 or nah attitude is really strange to me.

As it is, I got the game for free with a GPU purchase so I'll be trying it out on my own regardless. I just hope the technical issues are not that bad or fixed with a day one patch.
I've scan read several reviews. And occasional pop in and some stutter entering and leaving cutscenes, seems the most common issues. Minor issues with great performance is my take so far. Slight black level raised HDR, but decent. PC seems pretty safe. But I'm still unsure of PS5 and XSX.... which is annoying.

Last edited:

kyussman

Far Cry Primal Avatar Edition.....a game with absolutely nothing new or interesting to offer.....5/10.....my review,having never played it,lol.

Mowcno

So if you liked Far Cry 6 you'll probably like this, and if you didn't you probably won't unless the theme/setting really improves it for you.

zeroluck

You can't see your body when you look down?? Almost a deal breaker in first person game for me nowadays.
Edit: nvm, I am playing it and the body is animated, game is good so far.

Last edited:
The Ubi tax is real they have a formula that reviewers are tired of but gamers continue to enjoy i trust Massive the Division is still one of my most played games

This will be my first purchase for my brand new PC. :)
I want to see if this can push the DLSS I keep hearing about but never had a chance to see in action until now.

Buggy Loop

He’s 100% right. Developers need to do better. Too bad if that bothers the console crowd.

Imagine being against one of the only media voice against lousy PC ports. I don't get it. And its in almost every DF threads.

What the hell did Alex do for this place to hate on him? He didn't put your plastic box on a pedestal nor buy the marketing sauce of graphic revolution?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
as usual, another shitty game from ubisoft.

It's not a bad game. It's what Ubisoft is good at now. They put out decent games with some foundation of good there, but they can't put it all together to make a great game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
GameSpots 8/10 make it sound like a damn good Far Cry with some extra bells and whistles and a gorgeous parkour-y world

The RDA outclasses you in terms of weapons and numbers, and you can't really stand your ground against them--assault rifles tear through Na'vi just as easily as they do humans. Instead, you have to rely on quick movement and quicker thinking for success in combat. Your Na'vi abilities let you dash around the battlefield to find cover or climb above enemies, allowing you to quickly reposition yourself to nail a mech suit's vulnerable heat vents or snipe an explosive tank near a band of soldiers.

The hit-and-run aspect of combat is further amplified by the fact that everything is built for six-foot-tall humans, but you're a 10-foot-tall alien. Running around enemy bases, sliding through low doorways, and leaping onto high catwalks gives every battle a fast-paced novelty that has you constantly assessing your surroundings for a new spot to regroup or give yourself an edge. You're too big for most places, which carries advantages and disadvantages, and changes how you might otherwise think about these spaces.

fn0GIgV.gif

Alebrije

The Ubi tax is real they have a formula that reviewers are tired of but gamers continue to enjoy i trust Massive the Division is still one of my most played games
Ubisoft basically only has División and AC games

The rest is crap..
They abandones Splinter cell and Beyond Good and Evil to develope clones of their own games

They wasted Breakpoint..

The only Good outcome is that Massive Will Focus on Div 3...and they know they have to deliver something great por UBI is done

Top Bottom