• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora | Review Thread

Blindy

ACG liked it quite a bit and he's one of the reviewers whose tastes align with mine the most. I wasn't planning on checking this out because I'm not typically a fan of 1st Person games, but maybe I will down the road when its inevitably cheaper. The ubisoft formula is cozy and I've never minded its existence, sometimes preferring it over that of the games it was influenced by - Immortal over BOTW, for example.

Definitely miss the days of UbiArt though. Valiant Hearts is a masterpiece.
Rayman Legends and Origins were fantastic too.

Ubisoft will comeback with the new Prince of Persia Metroidvania game that is coming out in January, that game looks really good honestly.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Pretty wide distribution of scores. Seems like a typical FarCry like game. Probably a little bit fun to start out, then a slog when it drags 10 -50 hours longer than anyone who can afford to play more than one game a year would want. I plan to check it out on Ubisoft + when I join for a month to play AC.

Stuart360

Like i said in another thread, i love Ubisofts open world formula, and i love AVATAR. I have watched a lot of vids of this game and it seems like its everything i wanted from a open world AVATAR game.

Reviwers are not immune to fanboyism, and as you can see from this forum its cool to hate on Ubisoft. The score is around what i always expected it was going to be from the 'mainstream' reviewers, and thats why i side more with people like ACG who reviews games for what they are, and he pretty much loved the game so.

Def buying this.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

JorRaptor wasn't impressed and he generally likes Ubi games. I'm definitely waiting for user reviews/impressions.

Last edited:
Like i said in another thread, i love Ubisofts open world formula, and i love AVATAR. I have watched a lot of vids of this game and it seems like its everything i wanted from a open world AVATAR game.

Reviwers are not immune to fanboyism, and as you can see from this forum its cool to hate on Ubisoft. The score is around what i always expected it was going to be from the 'mainstream' reviewers, and thats why i side more with people like ACG who reviews games for what they are, and he pretty much loved the game so.

Def buying this.

Eh, Assassin's Creed Mirage, which just came out and pretty much everyone agrees was a low-effort Ubisoft AC title, has a better review average than this... Not sure your "it's cool to hate Ubisoft and that's why this has low scores" explanation adds up.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Eh, Assassin's Creed Mirage, which just came out and pretty much everyone agrees was a low-effort Ubisoft AC title, has a better review average than this... Not sure your "it's cool to hate Ubisoft and that's why this has low scores" explanation adds up.
Well it doesnt have low scores, it has some average scores mixed in with some good and very good scores.

My point was more that it will be very rare for a Ubisoft game to get 90+ score, it would have to be literally one of the best games of all time for mainstream reviewers to give it that.

I predicted 75-80 by the way.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'll try it, as it sounds like Assains Creed Odyssey copy and pasted with a Pandora skin. I can never get enough of Odyssey so if its even close to that, It'll be wroth my time. Plus sounds like a fun game to play on the Steam Deck (well stream to it, from a highend PC soon as Moonlight is updated to support HDR)

Topher

Gold Member
Good, good! Weed out the crooked.
Guilt made them do it I guess. This game is NOT worth a 9.5

A 9.5 is close to perfection and this. isnt. it.

I wrote for the European Xbox Magazine for years and scores like this are very, VERY rare. This game doesnt come close.

Anyone without a hidden agenda can see and feel this while playing. Smh my ass.

2 reasons for this score:

- Bought off
- Some low tier site trying to generate traffic/ clicks

It's not based on the game looking at it from an unbiased or objective point of view.

Third possible reason: the reviewer simply liked the game a hell of a lot more than others did. His score is 2 points off the metacritic average. So what? We've seen games where the spread was a hell of a lot wider than that. A game with a mid 70s metacritic score having some scores in the 90s is not unheard of by any stretch. So what's the problem?

Last edited:
I love Pandora, but £69.99 is just too expensive for a 7/10 game, especially when they are waving £120 editions etc in front of your face at checkout which further lowers the perceived "worth" of the base edition. I was trying to convince myself "well its a big franchise.." then remembered Hogwarts Legacy launched at £59.99, so fuck them.

Raven77

Wait, critical line in one of the reviews:

"That exploration won’t be for everyone, but for those of you tired of having your hands held, there’s a lot to see, do, and enjoy."

That line alone makes me want to pick this game up. I'm so tired of devs treating me like I can't figure things out on my own. I don't need a glowing line showing me where to go...

bender

What time is it?
Even if you’re on the fence , can’t really go wrong with Ubisoft connect at 20$ a month on any platforms now
smh.gif

Game looks pretty good and I like Avatar.

You can pretty much predict reviews from the mainstream 'critics' pretty well these days anyways.

-0.5 points for no woke-y gay supporting stuff
-0.5 points for no super cinematic walk and talk boring parts
-0.5 points for not being a Nintendo game
-0.5 points for not being extremely difficult Souls-like

etc.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Game looks pretty good and I like Avatar.

You can pretty much predict reviews from the mainstream 'critics' pretty well these days anyways.

-0.5 points for no woke-y gay supporting stuff
-0.5 points for no super cinematic walk and talk boring parts
-2.0 points for not having the word Zelda in the title
-0.5 points for not being extremely difficult Souls-like

etc.

fixed it for you.

I don't really think Guerrilla would be interested to work on an IP who is not from them specially with the success they have with Horizon.
This is definitely the reason, as its the only logical explanation for why Sony isnt trying to get the license to more media IPs to take advantge of their 1st party developers. I think after MLB show, Sony as a whole is done making games for other publishers unless they get to make the game exclsuive to Playstation for in perpetuity.

Spiderman is obviously different since Sony owns the movie rights to that character.

nikos

Will sub to Ubisoft+ to play it tonight. I'll also get to jump back into The Crew Motorfest, which I enjoyed but never ended up buying because of so many game releases. Easily worth $15.

I am %100 sure that this game is a lot more fun than reviews give credits for, a lot like ac: mirage.

It is so easy to pile on to ubisoft games lately. Spineless gaming journos really love to flex their journalistic muscles on ubi games.

Not unlike ac mirage, this game will have a good word to mouth and exceed expectations
Yes AC Mirage actually feels like an AC game.

And funnily enough, apparently there are a ton of Gollum reviews on Xbox saying it's the best Lord of the Rings game ever made. Which is really surprising.

This also happened to the greatest CoD game of the last decade, Infinite Warfare.

So this game could end up in the same boat. 9.5/10 though? Idk but I could see a 7 or 8 potentially.

SJRB

Gold Member
The way characters talk to you and each other makes it seem like this is aimed at kids or something. It is insanely infantile.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The way characters talk to you and each other makes it seem like this is aimed at kids or something. It is insanely infantile.

Hence why these types of games are the best podcast games

I dont think Ive actively paid attention to an Ubi narrative since Ass Creed 2 and FC3.

Hey, reviewing better than I expected. Essentially seems to boil down to Far Cry Primal with Avatar/Sci-Fi tropes. I'm cool with that. I don't think every game that comes out in the AAA space has to be the next best thing. This looks like it could be a really great co-op game with a buddy. I look forward to having the time in the future to eventually check it out.

Also, it's Ubisoft guys. It's gonna go on sale very quickly after release, wait till next year, get it for $30 in 2 months and play with a buddy. Or check it out on their sub service or whatever. The barrier for their games is pretty small for the most part these days.

Wow. This is a straight up DISASTER for an AAA game under such a big license/property:

53379742418_31f818df04_c.jpg

30 Rock Bar GIF by PeacockTV

Last edited:

Humdinger

Metacritic (PC) is 73.

I watched 4 or 5 reviews. Looked pretty fun to me. I'm glad that it seems so different than Far Cry. It does seem like the activities could get repetitive though, and that's what a lot of reviewers are saying.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Despite the "bad" reviews and bandwagoning, I'll probably enjoy this when I get around to playing it.

GHG

Def buying this.

"ubisoft tax"

Banjo64

cumsessed
From the footage I’ve seen this looks hilariously bad and bland. The little stupid blue arms in first person, terrible.

Top Bottom