• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bafta changes criteria for two awards to increase diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome

Diversity also covers disability, age, gender and people from lower socioeconomic
groups as far as I can see from the BFI leaflet:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org...fi-diversity-standards-leaflet-2016-05-11.pdf

Oh, and also an option for 'substantial local employment' for the crew thing if you're outside of greater London.

Sounds good to me.

Though I wonder what they'll do with movies like "All is Lost" which has literally 1 dude (Robert Redford) in it. Whether it would be straight up disqualified or if they'll look at some movies on a case-by-case basis.

It's not just about race. It's also about disability, gender, age, sexual orientation and people from lower socio-economic groups.

For diversity in the crew:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org...fi-diversity-standards-leaflet-2016-05-11.pdf

And for people from lower socio-economic groups:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org...fi-diversity-standards-faqs-2016-05-11-v1.pdf

Thanks. If I was the producer and I wanted to get round this with minimum effort, socio-economic status looks like the easiest way to do it.

Sounds good to me.

Though I wonder what they'll do with movies like "All is Lost" which has literally 1 dude (Robert Redford) in it. Whether it would be straight up disqualified or if they'll look at some movies on a case-by-case basis.
You have to take the production crew into account even if the cast is small, and even then sizes of less than 25 get an exception.

liquidtmd

Banned
Sounds good to me.

It wouldn't.

This would not happen.

They are not saying this at all.

Zaph

Its hard to understand how these criteria can be set without making them either ridiculously prescriptive or so easy to game that they may as well not exist.

If this causes just one film to go outside the industry bubble when hiring, does it really matter?

People who immediately react negatively to news like this often fail to realise it most likely applies to them too. This country has massive amounts of classism, and the arts/entertainment is one of the worst offenders. I don't know anything about you, but it's highly likely you do not fit the profile (are you upper-middle class? went to the right schools? is your family already connected/experienced in the industry?) to break into film should you ever want to.

This country has gotten very good at making the average man on the street fight against his interests under the guise of "political correctness gone mad".

liquidtmd

Banned
The most British of filmmakers!

Shh I'm just waiting for Wes Anderson fans to come in

giphy.gif

If this causes just one film to go outside the industry bubble when hiring, does it really matter?

People who immediately react negatively to news like this often fail to realise it most likely applies to them too. This country has massive amounts of classism, and the arts/entertainment is one of the worst offenders. I don't know anything about you, but it's highly likely you do not fit the profile (are you upper-middle class? went to the right schools? is your family already connected/experienced in the industry?) to break into film should you ever want to.

This country has gotten every good at making the average man on the street fight against his interests under the guise of "political correctness gone mad".

Good points, well made. No it doesn't matter and yes this probably will have a positive effect. I imagine any wrinkles will be ironed out.

Having said that I am a white, privately-educated, upper-middle-class male with connections to the film industry so this stuff is designed to fuck me over. Fortunately I have no interest in working in film so I don't care. Also I'm not a cunt.

CryptiK

This is odd. I havent watched many British films but the ones I have have been pretty diverse in terms of race, and their TV shows are extremely diverse.

Gnome

You have to take the production crew into account even if the cast is small, and even then sizes of less than 25 get an exception.

I clicked the link about the small crew exception but couldn't find the specific Q/A answer in the PDF. Doesn't really matter I guess, being disqualified for an award doesn't infringe on anybodies rights to make an all white man movie if they wished. The BAFTA's can do as they like.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, my only problem with it is smaller films, although I don't think they'd really be in the running for the top award anyhow.

Big studio's should be pretty diverse (by UK standards) anyhow.

It'll be difficult for smaller teams, I think. If you're a 5 man indy team and you hired totally at random from the British population, there's only a 50% chance you'd have picked someone who wasn't White British. But for the bigger filmhouses (anything ~25+ people), this is absolutely great and I hope it prompts some real changes.

EDIT: Oh, saw this:

Makes it super easy to fill. If you don't have a single woman (50% of the population), member of the working class (~33% of the population), a single person classified as having some sort of disability or impairment (~19%), non-white British person (~13%) of the population, or non-heterosexual person (~6%)... I'm pretty okay with you not getting the award.

This seems so hard to avoid filling already that it's a wonder why they even brought it in at all. Quite aside from anything, the majority of producers are already women.

EGM1966

This thread is going to be split between those reading detail of OP and those who don't I suspect.

Anyway bold move indeed. Not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand there's nothing wrong with encouraging diversity and for those categories I can see the goal of pushing for new talent and British centric films to embrace diversity.

On the other hand I'm worried it could be limiting and too much positive discrimination - although that will depend on how its applied. For example what about a film set in a time period/location that would preclude diversity?

Overall I think the better option would be to have clause allowing films that obviously whitewash, etc. to be disqualified from lists but let's see how it pans out. There's a while to go before it hits as policy.

Henkka

Banned
Why would this apply to a writing award? It's not like the writer is responsible for who gets hired behind the camera

Chinner

Banned
Don't worry, once we have left the EU and we are ruled by the Daily Mail this will be withdrawn. In fact, your film will need to have white people exclusively to be nominated.

Even if you could argue that perhaps it would be tough on certain areas to hire diverse ethnicities this rule also takes into account gender too

And if you don't have at least one woman in your crew at the least then you must be living in some fantasy polar opposite of Amazonian territory

Gnome

snip.

On the other hand I'm worried it could be limiting and too much positive discrimination - although that will depend on how its applied. For example what about a film set in a time period/location that would preclude diversity?

This is answered in the PDF:

My film has a historical setting
and / or is based on a traditional
narrative. What will you be
looking for in terms of on
screen representation?

If your film is based on a familiar literary /
historical narrative, when we consider your
request we will ask: what is the purpose
of re-telling this story? We are looking
for unfamiliar and perhaps unexpected
approaches. Work meeting the criteria
of Standard A might:
- provide complex representations
of characters normally relegated
to two-dimensional roles;
- tell the story from a different
perspective that aligns with,
or sheds light on, the focus
areas of the Standards;
- revise traditional elements to
increase representation and
alter frames of reference

G.ZZZ

I'd rather they not publicize it. I mean, you're a critic award no? Then don't write it out, just never give out awards to those production you feel are not pushing toward inclusivity. Putting numbers and hard rules just make so you can be attacked for them because of some exception that will always exist, especially in such a context about "art" and not plain work.

If this get mud-dragged to hell and back you can certain that they'll have to revise it in shape or form, and people saying things that are not true about this will eventually become so. Perception for those things is extremely important, especially now where a lot of people have been convinced by "certain" propaganda.

EDIT: that part about historical settings is so tone-deaf it hurts jesus. Sigh. I guess i'm becoming and old man yelling at clouds. How do those people even work in real life, do they never have to compromise? Or just ignore everything? Like, there's nothing in between.

liquidtmd

Banned
Even if you could argue that perhaps it would be tough on certain areas to hire diverse ethnicities this rule also takes into account gender too

And if you don't have at least one woman in your crew at the least then you must be living in some fantasy polar opposite of Amazonian territory

Or have at least have one Bob in your ranks

4756273_l1.jpg

BAFTA1: Wow, that film might be the most powerful, inspiring film I've ever seen in my life.

BAFTA2: Nevermind all that. Does the cast and crew meet our minimum percentage of underrepresented peoples requirements?

BAFTA1: Well, no, but..

BAFTA2: Throw it away.

Doc_Drop

Where is the 87% white British data coming from? I'm genuinely surprised it's that high. I imagine it takes into account 2nd and 3rd generation white Europeans perhaps

ZeroX03

Banned
BAFTA1: Wow, that film might be the most powerful, inspiring film I've ever seen in my life.

BAFTA2: Nevermind all that. Does the cast and crew meet our minimum percentage of underrepresented peoples requirements?

It's actually not all that hard to hire women or people from a lower socio economic background. As discussed in this thread, non-white is a bit more of a challenge for some areas in the UK, but there's no shortage of women or underprivileged people.

Zaph

This thread is going to be split between those reading detail of OP and those who don't I suspect.

Anyway bold move indeed. Not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand there's nothing wrong with encouraging diversity and for those categories I can see the goal of pushing for new talent and British centric films to embrace diversity.

Overall I think the better option would be to have clause allowing films that obviously whitewash, etc. to be disqualified from lists but let's see how it pans out. There's a while to go before it hits as policy.

"too much positive discrimination" is a laughable concern, especially if you know anything about this industry.

Also, I don't think you read the OP either? This applies to behind-the-camera too, so period set productions could easily navigate it.

and:

This seems so hard to avoid filling already that it's a wonder why they even brought it in at all. Quite aside from anything, the majority of producers are already women.

this. If anything, the categories are too lax. But it's a good, symbolic message to the industry.

UrbanRats

I don't know, do we really need more movies about small white British towns getting awards?
That is a silly point.

Anyway since it includes the crew behind the camera and is probably aimed at bigger productions, i dont see it getting in the creative process' way, not significantly.
Plus it seems like "diversity" includes a lot of stuff, by their standards.

Doc_Drop

The census, it's a lot more diverse in London and the Midlands.

Yeah I'm in Nottingham so that would explain the feeling of dissonance.

I'd hate to live in a city or town that isn't diverse,maybe if film companies set up shop in places with more diversity then it'd would help the industry as a whole. The over reliance on London (edit: upper middle class London) is telling

I think this is a positive move to cement our society and all its endeavours as being more diverse and inclusive for the future. In the short term this may be painful, and cause projects with high artistic merit to be ineligible for certain awards. They unfortunately fall foul of being at the tail end of a worse system and the transition to something better. Easy for me to say but if it was my passion project involved I would probably be livid. However, dispassionately, and thinking long term, I think this is great.

Where is the 87% white British data coming from? I'm genuinely surprised it's that high. I imagine it takes into account 2nd and 3rd generation white Europeans perhaps

it's 87% white not 87% white British, although the white British figure I would guess would not be that much lower, depending on how you define British. The census doesn't categorise in those terms. There is a section for "national identity" but only 7% of people identified as having a national identity that wasn't at least partly British, English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish, which leads one to conclude that many non-white people consider themselves to have least a partial UK national identity.

Wvrs

The UK seems to be significantly more white than the US? Are there higher numbers in disabled or lower socioeconomic economic groups?

I find in the US there's a propensity for everyone to aspire to be middle class; it's endemic of the American dream, perhaps.

Here, to be 'lower class', or working class, isn't something to really be ashamed of. Even at my University, which is a member of the prestigious Russell Group and where over a quarter of students were privately educated growing up, you'll find students who are proud of have come from nothing. After I graduate I'll probably be earning enough to economically be considered middle class, but I'll still label myself as working class. It's the situation I grew up in, and I can never forget that.

As an example related to film, I don't film something like 'I, Daniel Blake' would find the acclaim and success in the US it found here.

I might be wrong though, I'm just basing my opinions off what I've seen Americans say and write in person and online.

Zaph

This could be a nice summation of why the UK is falling apart. Fits all requirements of the cancerous mentality:

1. Assumes to know what problem X is
2. So sure their opinion on X is correct, they don't take the time to read up on it
3. But has the time to mock it, because 'PC society' is the root of our problems.

liquidtmd

Banned
This could be a nice summation of why the UK is falling apart. Fits all requirements of the cancerous mentality:

2. So sure their opinion on X is correct, they don't take the time to read up on it
3. But has the time to mock it, because 'PC society' is the root of our problems.

Yup. It's such a twisted, biased, gross simplification of the information being presented it really is depressing.

Henkka

Banned
Are only white people writers?

No... But if you're a white male writer who would like to compete for the "Outstanding debut" award, it seems you would have to either

1) Make sure your debut movie has enough minority characters in the story to qualify or

2) Hope that the studio which produces the movie hires enough minorities behind the camera, which you have no control over

Doc_Drop

If it was that powerful of a film it would likely not need the BAFTA, this is an institution looking to inspire positive change by making a hard decision. The Oscars could stand to learn a thing or two to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom