• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bafta changes criteria for two awards to increase diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Banned
The "significant change" will bring in more people from minorities, women, people with disabilities and from lower socio-economic groups, Bafta said.
Not just accounting for white people.

UK is quite diverse, compared to other European countries and USA. It's just not as reflected in the arts and can afford to be, hence this decision.

Ken Loach redeemed! And here you were speaking ill of my boy

If it was that powerful of a film it would likely not need the BAFTA, this is an institution looking to inspire positive change by making a hard decision. The Oscars could stand to learn a thing or two to be honest

You could still win awards for Best Film, Best Direction, Best Original Screenplay, etc as well, just not the ones for Outstanding British Film or Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer.

milanbaros

Member?
Don't think I agree with this. Art is art no matter the method of creation.

What would be much better is ensuring the diversity of the voters, a move they also seem to be doing. I think a suitably diverse voting block would address the issues better.

GhostBed

Having said that I am a white, privately-educated, upper-middle-class male with connections to the film industry so this stuff is designed to fuck me over. Fortunately I have no interest in working in film so I don't care. Also I'm not a cunt.

Holy crap. The white persecution complex is real.

No, this isn't meant to fuck you over, it's meant to help boost minorities, women, LGBT+, the poor, etc to have similar opportunities to you. This is in no way meant to harm you.

Playing fair does not mean fucking white men over and I find that to be an embarrassingly insecure and pathetic idea.

RinsFury

This is a good thing, I hope the Academy Awards introduce something similar. We live in diverse societies now, the films and productions need to reflect that.

Zaph

"The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) is an independent charity that supports, develops and promotes the art forms of the moving image – film, television and game in the United Kingdom. In addition to its annual awards ceremonies, BAFTA has an international, year-round programme of learning events and initiatives offering access to talent through workshops, masterclasses, scholarships, lectures and mentoring schemes in the UK and the USA."

BAFTA is more than a glitzy awards show. It is a charity with a mission and objective - is it really surprising they want to see this reflected in their awards too?

What would be much better is ensuring the diversity of the voters, a move they also seem to be doing. I think a suitably diverse voting block would address the issues better.
Do you also disagree with all other eligibility requirements for all over awarding bodies? Including any union requirements?

You realise there always are eligibility requirements, right?

Doc_Drop

You could still win awards for Best Film, Best Direction, Best Original Screenplay, etc as well, just not the ones for Outstanding British Film or Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer.

Exactly,people are acting like this is determining funding or something

Seems a bit odd. So a minority director or writer making their debut wouldn't be illegible if their films production team is too white?

BAFTA is a private organization that can do whatever they want. However, nobody is going to change a movie to better their chances for this award in the same way they would if making an Oscar bait movie.

So I assume a movie like the King's Speech would no longer be eligible because King George didn't have a friend from the bad neighborhood pop by for a beer or a black buddy he played poker with on Fridays?

Holy crap. The white persecution complex is real.

No, this isn't meant to fuck you over, it's meant to help boost minorities, women, LGBT+, the poor, etc to have similar opportunities to you. This is in no way meant to harm you.

Playing fair does not mean fucking white men over and I find that to be an embarrassingly insecure and pathetic idea.

I was joking. Relax.

Good points, well made. No it doesn't matter and yes this probably will have a positive effect. I imagine any wrinkles will be ironed out.

Having said that I am a white, privately-educated, upper-middle-class male with connections to the film industry so this stuff is designed to fuck me over. Fortunately I have no interest in working in film so I don't care. Also I'm not a cunt.

If you've no interest working in film how is this designed to fuck you over anyway?
I'm Afro Latino, identify as black. So biracial. Publicly educated, started from the bottom now I'm here. I have more connections when it comes to America's Hollywood. Fortunately, I do work in film when my work is requested. And this gives guys like me the opportunity to give my diverse group of employees work, which usually doesn't end up leaving the white folk without work.

teeny

BAFTA is a private organization that can do whatever they want. However, nobody is going to change a movie to better their chances for this award in the same way they would if making an Oscar bait movie.

So I assume a movie like the King's Speech would no longer be eligible because King George didn't have a friend from a the bad neighborhood pop by for a beer or a black buddy he played poker with on Fridays?

You assume incorrectly. Please just read the information already provided repeatedly in the thread.

This is not just about race and it is also not just about what is seen on screen - this is promoting diversity in the industry. So, all those people you don't see, working on actually making the film, too.

milanbaros

Member?
"The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) is an independent charity that supports, develops and promotes the art forms of the moving image – film, television and game in the United Kingdom. In addition to its annual awards ceremonies, BAFTA has an international, year-round programme of learning events and initiatives offering access to talent through workshops, masterclasses, scholarships, lectures and mentoring schemes in the UK and the USA."

BAFTA is more than a glitzy awards show. It is a charity with a mission and objective - is it really surprising they want to see this reflected in their awards too?

Do you also disagree with all other eligibility requirements for all over awarding bodies? Including any union requirements?

You realise there always are eligibility requirements, right?

An awarding body can put whatever restrictions they want in place, I just think it will make me care less about the award.

If I want to know what the best British film was I don't want the population restricted to those who meet conditions (including union, pay, diversity etc.)

Again, up to them.

Not sure how anyone was to interpret that post to be a joke or sarcasm, but okay.

An /s usually helps. :p

It was in response to the guy before saying "hey - most of us would actually benefit from these rules because very few of us actually are *all those things that I am*"

I was just playfully musing that I actually do fit into that category and so in theory I would be affected. But then I said that I don't care because...I'm not a cunt (also I'm not interested in being in the film business).

I broadly support this for the avoidance of doubt.

:)

Zaph

So I assume a movie like the King's Speech would no longer be eligible because King George didn't have a friend from a the bad neighborhood pop by for a beer or a black buddy he played poker with on Fridays?

The lack of effort people are prepared to put into reading, while still offering up their opinion on the subject, really does expose what they actually care about.

No... But if you're a white male writer who would like to compete for the "Outstanding debut" award, it seems you would have to either

1) Make sure your debut movie has enough minority characters in the story to qualify or

2) Hope that the studio which produces the movie hires enough minorities behind the camera, which you have no control over

Your Example White Male Writer could: include issues in his story about the poor or disabled. Work with schools or programmes offering career help/advice to those how traditionally struggle to break into the industry. Ask the production company to offer first job roles. There is even criteria for things that can be done after the film is made - including screenings, events and marketing, or even help promote a new VOD service.

It's remarkably easy to quality, and is about sending a message to the industry to take a look at their nepotism, cronyism and over-reliance on traditional avenues of film production and promotion.

An awarding body can put whatever restrictions they want in place, I just think it will make me care less about the award.

If I want to know what the best British film was I don't want the population restricted to those who meet conditions (including union, pay, diversity etc.)

Again, up to them.

According to the Slate article in the OP you are "leaning on the tired crutch of “artistic freedom”" and apparently "that's the sword you want to die on". I agree with you though.

It was in response to the guy before saying "hey - most of us would actually benefit from these rules because very few of us actually are *all those things that I am*"

I was just playfully musing that I actually do fit into that category and so in theory I would be affected. But then I said that I don't care because...I'm not a cunt (also I'm not interested in being in the film business).

giphy.gif

GhostBed

Gotcha. Apologies for the confusion.

So I assume a movie like the King's Speech would no longer be eligible because King George didn't have a friend from the bad neighborhood pop by for a beer or a black buddy he played poker with on Fridays?

It would just have to settle for the other ~10 awards it won instead.

This is just the BAFTAs changing the entry requirements for a few of the dozens of awards they have.

Oppo

It would possibly qualify because it deals with a disability.

what does that have to do with racial diversity?

for this new rule – as long as it includes production staff, i.e. they aren't excluding one-person plays and shows for instance... why not

I am not sure what this means but I don't think I like it.

Haha, nah Its positive no worries. Its from a show called Big Bang theory where the character in the blue shirt finds it hard to understand sarcasm so the one in the red robe has to make a sign with Sarcasm written on it, so he can get it.

Zaph

Again, up to them.

What defines "best British film"? The one that makes you laugh the most? Excites you? Makes you think? Represents Britain the most?

No. It's what the voters pick. Are you really surprised that the voters in a charity set up to advance British arts and film are trying to...advance British arts and film?

Sounds like the award was never intended to appeal to you.

that makes no sense. what is with brits these days and their ever increasing censorship and shaming of freedoms.

Which prior winners would not have been under consideration with this new definition?

The King's Speech comes to mind, and that shows how moronic this new rule is.

what does that have to do with racial diversity?

for this new rule – as long as it includes production staff, i.e. they aren't excluding one-person plays and shows for instance... why not

It doesn't just have to do with racial diversity...
Diversity also covers disability, age, gender and people from lower socioeconomic
groups as far as I can see from the BFI leaflet:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org...fi-diversity-standards-leaflet-2016-05-11.pdf

Oh, and also an option for 'substantial local employment' for the crew thing if you're outside of greater London.

It would possibly qualify because it deals with a disability.

Zaph

that makes no sense. what is with brits these days and their ever increasing censorship and shaming of freedoms.

Outraged and throwing around words like moronic while not realising the very theme of The King's Speech qualifies as well as all the women who worked on it.

The internet in a nutshell.

it's actually quite hard to think of British films that wouldn't qualify on content one way or another.

Hmm.

Brideshead Revisited
Four Weddings and Funeral

although those have women in. Surely just having women in cannot be enough to pass?

Kill List
Kevin and Perry Go large
The Inbetweeners Movie

all fail. But they aren't winning any BAFTAs

Oppo

It doesn't just have to do with racial diversity...

huh. had a look at their materials. I was wondering, if we're gonna throw stuff like Ageism in there, if a production could be "busted" for having an insufficient number of, say, 70-year-olds.. which is of course ridiculous.

Sounds like it's basically interpreted by BAFTA though:

The Standards focus on disability, gender, race, age and sexual orientation (as they pertain to the Equality Act 2010), because there continues to be significant under-representation in these areas. We also seek to ensure that people from lower socio-economic groups are better represented. We understand that no single project will be able to represent all of these areas but we expect at least one theme or group to be prominent from the earliest stages of an application, and consistent representation to be maintained throughout the life of the project.

However there is a "monitoring form" to fill out as well, which does sound a bit Orwellian. BAFTA shouldn't be actively scrutinizing ongoing production, I don't think. That's an overstep for a charity/award show.

Madness

Whether it is a good thing or bad thing is irrelevant. It will just impact the perception of the BAFTA's as an award if they attach strings, even if those strings have a positive socio-cultural approach. Outside London as well the diversity drops off a cliff, so a lot of productions set in rural areas, up north, will have it tougher securing better representation for their films. At the end of the day, I want to see how this plays out. Will anyone really change their films or productions to secure the BAFTA awards with these stipulations or make the films the way they want and if they win they win, if they don't they don't.

Art is art but an award is an award.

Not getting an award doesn't censor art

Kill List
Kevin and Perry Go large
The Inbetweeners Movie

Looking at the first movie it seems to pass one of the crew requirements at least?
At least 3 of Director, Scriptwriter, Principal Producer, Composer, DoP, Editor, Costume Designer and Production Designer

Produced by
Claire Jones
Andy Starke

Written by
Ben Wheatley
Amy Jump

Edited by
Robin Hill
Ben Wheatley
Amy Jump

Zaph

it's actually quite hard to think of British films that wouldn't qualify on content one way or another.

Hmm.

Brideshead Revisited
Four Weddings and Funeral

although those have women in. Surely just having women in cannot be enough to pass?

Kill List
Kevin and Perry Go large
The Inbetweeners Movie

Looking retrospectively is a bit pointless too, beyond just knowing who was involved in making the film, because there are qualifying factors the studio could do even once the film has wrapped - involving the distribution, screening, and marketing. Even using the film to help promote a new service something like Filmstruck would probably be a qualifying factor.

Whether it is a good thing or bad thing is irrelevant. It will just impact the perception of the BAFTA's as an award if they attach strings, even if those strings have a positive socio-cultural approach. Outside London as well the diversity drops off a cliff, so a lot of productions set in rural areas, up north, will have it tougher securing better representation for their films. At the end of the day, I want to see how this plays out. Will anyone really change their films or productions to secure the BAFTA awards with these stipulations or make the films the way they want and if they win they win, if they don't they don't.
Do poor people, the disabled, inexperienced students, or women drop off a cliff outside London? That must look funny.

However there is a "monitoring form" to fill out as well, which does sound a bit Orwellian. BAFTA shouldn't be actively scrutinizing ongoing production, I don't think. That's an overstep for a charity/award show.
It would be Orwellian if it was government mandated on all films. But it isn't, it's for films who want to compete for a publicly/lottery funded award.

The lack of effort people are prepared to put into reading, while still offering up their opinion on the subject, really does expose what they actually care about.

Actually care about? Yep you busted me, I, an American of Mexican, French Canadian and Native American descent was secretly trying to continue majority white production focus and practices in the UK by asking a question about the criteria of one institution's award eligibility practices.

Saying it sounded a bit odd was clearly a problematic statement.

Pat yourself on the back.

Looking at the first movie it seems to pass one of the crew requirements at least?

Produced by
Claire Jones
Andy Starke

Written by
Ben Wheatley
Amy Jump

Edited by
Robin Hill
Ben Wheatley
Amy Jump

Hmmm....it must be more stringent than this otherwise it doesn't really have any effect.

Looking retrospectively is a bit pointless too, beyond just knowing who was involved in making the film, because there are qualifying factors the studio could do even once the film has wrapped - involving the distribution, screening, and marketing. Even using the film to help promote a new service something like Filmstruck would probably be a qualifying factor.

Agreed. So initially I was worried this would be too restrictive. Now I think it's not restrictive enough and every film will either qualify as-is anyway or can be made to qualify very easily. Perhaps the details have more 'bite' to them.

huh. had a look at their materials. I was wondering, if we're gonna throw stuff like Ageism in there, if a production could be "busted" for having an insufficient number of, say, 70-year-olds.. which is of course ridiculous.

Sounds like it's basically interpreted by BAFTA though:

1) It's their award show!

2) Scrutinizing ongoing productions and completed productions is literally what they do.

KonradLaw

I expect slavs will count as white and as always in UK get screwed over when it comes too all outreach programs towards marginalized groups.

Oppo

1) It's their award show!

2) Scrutinizing ongoing productions and completed productions is literally what they do.

1 - agreed

2 - does BAFTA actually "monitor" production now? do we know that? i'm thinking of a hypothetical situation where, say, there's a personnel dispute, and someone is let go and "ruins" their qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom