• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Standard Playthrough Takes 75 to 100 Hours, Larian Says

Draugoth

Gold Member
0aa209d4ef9b071ca93ef8893479a18d.jpg
  • But if you want to do everything, expect 200 hours.

Speaking to IGN, Larian boss Swen Vincke said the developer is seeing a standard playthrough of Baldur’s Gate 3 take 75 to 100 hours. However, players who want to “do everything” should expect to double that figure.

“Between 75 and 100 hours, that's what we're seeing,” Vincke said. “That's not doing everything, that is just going to be a playthrough. There will be people who will be way over that, the ones who want to do everything. They will probably hit 200 hours, I think. On average we're seeing people who are going through take about 75 to 100 hours.”

Vincke pointed out, however, that Larian expects to see different playstyles upon Baldur’s Gate 3’s release. Those who play the game in multiplayer, for example, may take over a year to finish the game as they organise regular sessions with friends.

There are multiple ways of playing it, right. We saw that with [Divinity: Original Sin 2] and it will be no different here. People who are going to be playing in multiplayer, they'll take a year, a year-and-a-half. They will make their regular sessions where they play, like D&D.

Last edited:
I took about 150 hrs and over 2 months to finish Divinity OS2 with a friend. Did everything we could find.

If it's a bigger game we would touch 200 easy.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Wow really enjoyed the game in pre release .

Do we know what max level is? Wasn't too keen on the skill progression. Felt underpowered compared to pathfinder 2
I'm thinking about getting the early access version and play on the Steam Deck. How big is the install? How big will the final install be when 1.0 releases?

gothmog

Gold Member
I held off on any early access. Looking forward to the release but torn on platform. Console seems better for a hundred hour game based on my comfort levels but I'm worried about it being too clunky to enjoy.

Wow really enjoyed the game in pre release .

Do we know what max level is? Wasn't too keen on the skill progression. Felt underpowered compared to pathfinder 2
Max level will be level 12 from what I saw in their update. That’s a great level cap to be fair though. I wasn’t expecting any higher for a single campaign.

Hopefully they do an expansion down the line that bumps it to 15 or 16.

Will early access saves carry over to the release or not at this point?
No, version 1.0 is going to wipe all saves and start you fresh since they are adding a shit ton of content, including additional acts, classes, races and everything else you can think of.

Last edited:

Pollux

Sleep on this game at your own peril. Divinity 2 was incredible.
Have you actually seen people sleeping on this? It's Baldur's gate....from Larian....and the production values look insane. Agreed man, this is gonna be amazing. I stopped playing a few hours into the early access because I knew I would love it and didn't want to dump too many hours into Act 1 and then have to force myself back through when it finally released.

All I see is physical collector's, but they will probably release physical down the road, like Alan Wake 2. It seems pubs/devs are slowly drip-feeding us into the all digital future. Death by 1,000 cuts.
Yeah, that physical collector's comes with a download code for the game I think. Hopefully they'll partner with someone like iam8bit for a future physical release. We'll see.

Last edited:

amigastar

Will early access saves carry over to the release or not at this point?
Well, you can play the 1.0 version 72 hours prior to launch but only until Act 1 and then on the 3rd August you can continue the game.
Anyways, game will be awesome i'm sure.

Last edited:

JMZ555

So hyped. I played ACT 1 on initial EA release and that took me 45ish Hours. This game going to be huge.

I decided on Paladin Oath of Devotion for first run I think, need to look at Vengeance as no nothing about it. Prob Zariel Tiefling or Half Elf Drow.

Buggy Loop

Even with a month ahead from previous release, i don't think i can finish this before Starfield. Releases right during summer vacation, noway i stay indoor to play games especially with a family.

I'm also the kind of guy that plays cRPGs very meticulously, sometimes even reloading the conversations to see all the possibilities. It'll take me forever.

Even with a month ahead from previous release, i don't think i can finish this before Starfield. Releases right during summer vacation, noway i stay indoor to play games especially with a family.

I'm also the kind of guy that plays cRPGs very meticulously, sometimes even reloading the conversations to see all the possibilities. It'll take me forever.
Considering starfield will be a broken mess. Why don't you play bg3 first

Fools idol

Banned
I have close to 500 hours clocked on Divinity 2. Did 100% of all things possible, and completed runs with a ton of different builds and classes. It's such a good game to play with co op too.

BG3 however is a very different game - it is not just divinity 2.5. Expect a lot more complex systems.

Max level will be level 12 from what I saw in their update. That’s a great level cap to be fair though. I wasn’t expecting any higher for a single campaign.

Hopefully they do an expansion down the line that bumps it to 15 or 16.
Level 12... I was takwn aback by that then I remembered this is 5th edition. Which frankly I'm not sure how they are going to work it as a video game (I haven't played bg3 early access). 3rd edition was ideal for video game form. All the skills and feats. 2nd before that wasn't that much different than 1st and that had legacy going back to pools of radiance.

I hope it feels like dnd and forgotten realms. The art work doesn't remind me of baldurs gate, the never winter nights games or of the awesome pools gold box games. It looks like an over load of tieflings, githyanki and bards, which looks kinda like a Divinity sequel.

I hope it has a great single player campaign, as I don't play these games for multiplayer. Really hope this does good and we get a never winter nights framework for fan made games.

I hated the Divinity games so hopefully they didn't fuck this up.

Even if it plays differently it still looks like "Divinity: Original Sin 3" and that is almost enough to put me off.

So I just looked it up and they've yet to confirm a physical disc version on PS5. What gives!? I ain't fucking paying 80 euros for a digital game.
Welcome to the future. I hope they make it a digital exclusive.

Last edited:

amigastar

I hated the Divinity games so hopefully they didn't fuck this up.

Even if it plays differently it still looks like "Divinity: Original Sin 3" and that is almost enough to put me off.

Welcome to the future. I hope they make it a digital exclusive.
When you didn't like the Divinity games (which i don't understand) then you probably won't like this one from what i've seen.

Top Bottom