• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 Standard Playthrough Takes 75 to 100 Hours, Larian Says

StueyDuck

They actually made a fully 3rd person rpg once

Not well received by critics at the time, but many consider it a hidden gem nowadays.

Oh yeah I know of their history... I meant now after original sin and them really understanding their game design,

The older div games were decent but they weren't as great as OS and I'm guessing BG3 will be. Take who they are now and they'd slaughter the competition

Guilty_AI

I mean the vast size of them. The quality is undeniable.
i mean, its really a a matter of how long it'll take to beat them. I remember playing DOS2 with friends and took us 2 years to finish it (though the problem was largely having opportunities to get all friends together to play). Some other games i played alone, it wasn't unusual for me to take months.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Jealous of folks who have the patience for a game like this. Somehow after playing arpgs (eg Diablo) I find these games too slow/boring. How do I get into something like this or is it a lost cause for someone like me?

Guilty_AI

Jealous of folks who have the patience for a game like this. Somehow after playing arpgs (eg Diablo) I find these games too slow/boring. How do I get into something like this or is it a lost cause for someone like me?
Arpgs do tend to get repetitive, some people even like them because of it, returning to a familiar gameplay loop to let off some steam. Its a matter of taste really, I imagine a lot of people grew up watching movies that could be finished in a weekend, then maybe one TV series or another thats coveniently sliced up and designed in ways that makes them watchable through long periods of time, that can be safely forgotten about and picked up again without issue.

I tackle these sorts of games the same way i tackle books. There are periods i'm really into them, then another periods where i kind forget it exists until I feel like picking it up again. The only thing i'm careful about is making sure i stop playing/reading at covenient moments.

In the case of this game for example, you could slice it up in acts. There'll likely be 3 or 4 acts (perhaps more), and each will probably be around 30 to 40 hours. You finish the first act then stop playing to go do other stuff, play other stuff. Then after some time you come back for more when you're feeling like it.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
For me the cRPG formula of real time with pause is the sweet spot because it means combat becomes more fluid, but I do love Divinity's turn based system as well as it allows for more tactical and challenging combat encounters.

Both systems obviously have their pros and cons... I enjoy aRPG as well but get bored of the repetitive encounters and generally the writing in arpgs is way lower quality as it is less of a focus.

There is a level too far though which is something like Wrath of the Rightous (Pathfinder ruleset). While I fully recognise this as a 9.5/10 game, it was not for me after completing it once, to go back again. The depth is tremeandous, the world and writing superb, everything about it on paper is an RPG dream. But as an overall package it takes hours and hours to get anywhere, and often you find yourself unable to progress because the insane amount of build complexity at hand is easily fucked up leading to brick walls.

I look forward to the stage of my life that Jeff Green is currently in as he can slow down and take an entire weekend to just plod merrily through a deep cRPG devouring the world and build complexities of a game like WotW not having work or parenting or adulting to worry about.

Sentenza

On the other hand, incidentally I find the Diablo-like hack'n slash almost unbearably tedious and repetitive on the long run.

Fortunately DOS2 had a mod that allowed you to increase the number of party members

I think its very likely they'll make one for this game too. I imagine it may cause some balancing issues, but nothing a higher difficulty won't solve.
There's ALREADY a mod to play the game with an extended party (up to 8 characters).
I played half of my EA playthroughs with a party of 6.

I still would have preferred if Larian did us a solid and added the option natively, rather than having to rely on "hacks".

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

There's ALREADY a mod to play the game with an extended party (up to 8 characters).
I played half of my EA playthroughs with a party of 6.

I still would have preferred if Larian did us a solid and added the option natively, rather than having to rely on "hacks".

I think its that they just want to balance the game for a 4 character party. So basically its their way of telling players 'play with a 6 party sized team at your own risk, we don't take responsibility'.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I think its that they just want to balance the game for a 4 character party. So basically its their way of telling players 'play with a 6 party sized team at your own risk, we don't take responsibility'.
It's an argument that went on for three years on their official forum.
Most of the users seemed to be in favor of six slots rather than four and at some point we even attempted to bargain "Please Larian, just add the option, even at cost of labeling it as NOT RECOMMENDED. No rebalance required!" but we never got an answer or acknowledgement on the topic.

As I said, you can easily mod it, but at least in EA there were a couple of potential inconveniences in few passages where Larian apparently "hard-coded" the game to allow just four characters to pass a certain check (i.e. boat in the underdark).
Still, you can work your way around these inconveniences.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I’m really hoping it really is a Baldurs Gate game and not Divinity 3. Already preordered on Steam and the characters creator looks rich.
I'm playing a Core playthrough of BG EE right now, and I have a good 50 hours in EE.................it feels very, BG like.

sigmaZ

I stopped playing the prerelease because I didnt want to hamper my experience for the final version. I really enjoyed the battle system and progression as well as how your choices have real consequences. Its the closest balance Ive seen of gameplay and roleplaying without compromising one for the other.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I haven't given this a single gaze since the early asses juicy dook but I now see an August release date for the PC.

Is this actually 100% finished good to go?

thuGG_pl

The story should be very good and the characters. Also the gameplay loop is way more tactical with tons of customizations, strategy.

I finished D4 lately on 67 lvl, finished the campaing and tried out various endgame bits. But it's just doing the same thing all over just to optimize gear a bit. BG3 has way more to offer.

Sentenza

I haven't given this a single gaze since the early asses juicy dook but I now see an August release date for the PC.

Is this actually 100% finished good to go?
I mean, it will be. In a month as it actually releases.
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Sentenza

Just trying to make sure this game is actually done at the release date and they aren't planning a 'roadmap' to add in the rest of the stuff which didn't make the deadline.
Well, the game was always and ONLY going to be done at release.
They said from the very start that for whatever timeframe the Early Access would last, the player would only have access to the first Act. That's still the case today and it will be so until July 31st.

Last edited:
Larian is the only crpg dev that seems to care about console players. Every other crpg from other devs I'd treated like an afterthought (while charging the same price) and receives half the updates as their PC version while simultaneously getting the run around from the devs about "fixes are coming".

Pathfinder WotR is an example. Pillars 2 etc

TwinB242

So even if you just blast through the main story its still going to be 75-100 hours long? Well I guess the game is a pass for me then. I don't have the time or patience for this kind of experience nowadays.

Last edited:

Sentenza

So even if you just blast through the main story its still going to be 75-100 hours long? Well I guess the game is a pass for me then. I don't have the time or patience for this kind of experience nowadays.
Last time I checked the quickest speedrun in EA was 7 minutes. So if you want to rush through the game here's your model to follow.

Then again ,if you HATE the idea of spending time on it, not sure why you would be fucking playing it in the first place.

What type of play through hours did you expect?

Filben

I could have done with half the size and dialogue lines and words and quests (and maybe have it a year earlier). They don't convince me with big numbers. But given that you can probably choose to ignore stuff it'll be alright. Checked out the game two years ago and liked it enough the first two hours. Will definitely play 1.0.

Fools idol

Banned
Mort did a good video recently on why Larian and Owlcat are leading the charge.

In general, those of you in this thread that are wanting to dip toes into cRPG's, I recommend Mortismal youtube channel highly, he is a review that makes 100% completion reviews on cRPG games which takes hundreds of hours to be thorough. He also has very similar taste to me so, there is that bias.

Neon Xenon

What is it that people like about CRPGs? I see Baldur's Gate III and it seems like something I should be excited about, given the legacy of the series. At the very least, I know what the series is. In the past, I've played both Divinity: Original Sin and Pathfinder: WotR, and while I've enjoyed the first few hours of both (setting up strategies to wipe out enemies in D:OS was pretty fun), I could never really stick with the games in favor of something else I was in more of a mood to play.

sigmaZ

What is it that people like about CRPGs? I see Baldur's Gate III and it seems like something I should be excited about, given the legacy of the series. At the very least, I know what the series is. In the past, I've played both Divinity: Original Sin and Pathfinder: WotR, and while I've enjoyed the first few hours of both (setting up strategies to wipe out enemies in D:OS was pretty fun), I could never really stick with the games in favor of something else I was in more of a mood to play.
Im the same way. I think they often require way too much commitment and the stories are often too wordy for my tests. What I really like about turn based games like Baldurs Gate is that they require to be deliberate in your actions in battle. The story is great too because you have a lot of freedom that effects the outcome of how things play out in the world.

Fools idol

Banned

something abit lighter like wasteland 3 may be a better shout for you. These games are big time commitments, they basically emulate long haul DnD games with friends that us olds played in childhood years using the rulesets. The love for the genre definitely is stronger if you have nostalgia for DnD in the 80s and 90s

Hudo

fuckjwc0j.jpg

Fools idol

Banned

Lol ooooof, wizardry was good times.

I remember trying to get my dad into Return of Werdna and it was like trying to convince a horse to walk down a cliff

Come to think of it, Wizardry IV is still probably the hardest cRPG ever. Has anything topped it? the most basic encounters were absolutely brutal to deal with. It took me weeks to progress anywhere.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

Funny you bring up Wizardry, as I had (half-jokingly) suggested to a streamer looking for something to play, that they should play one of these games next. I did so knowing how virtually the entire series has some bullshit for the player to suffer through. Also, going by that screenshot, I imagine there's some fine spritework in that particular entry alone, because that's some really good detail.

The sheer difficulty in Wizardry makes me think of The Plutonia Experiment for Doom II, if only because there's a point where I have to laugh at how hard the game is trying to kill you, which ends up being fitting (could almost say "realistic") in a fantasy setting. That drives home the DnD comparison made earlier by Fools idol Fools idol . I'm also thinking to why I liked Etrian Odyssey and how I got into that. And Jagged Alliance 2.

Checking this thread, I found that I had Divinity: Original Sin installed, so I may give that another whirl tonight. I'll also look into Wasteland 3, given that it's only $7.99 on Steam right now.

Guilty_AI

It really is just some degree of commitment 🤷‍♂️. Its kinda like reading a thick book.

One thing that helps here and did in DOS2 is the coop element, its easier to commit to the game when you make plans with other people.

Last edited:

Hudo

Funny you bring up Wizardry, as I had (half-jokingly) suggested to a streamer looking for something to play, that they should play one of these games next. I did so knowing how virtually the entire series has some bullshit for the player to suffer through. Also, going by that screenshot, I imagine there's some fine spritework in that particular entry alone, because that's some really good detail.

The sheer difficulty in Wizardry makes me think of The Plutonia Experiment for Doom II, if only because there's a point where I have to laugh at how hard the game is trying to kill you, which ends up being fitting (could almost say "realistic") in a fantasy setting. That drives home the DnD comparison made earlier by Fools idol Fools idol . I'm also thinking to why I liked Etrian Odyssey and how I got into that. And Jagged Alliance 2.

Checking this thread, I found that I had Divinity: Original Sin installed, so I may give that another whirl tonight. I'll also look into Wasteland 3, given that it's only $7.99 on Steam right now.
Btw, I think it's the Playstation 1 version of Wizardry 1 depicted here.

Fools idol

Banned

you may as well pick up DOS 2 while its on sale, because the quality jump from the original to 2 is giant.

I consider D:OS 2 to be the finest turn based combat system in a cRPG of all time. It's that good.

For those wondering, the playstation ports of Wizardry played via an emulator on pc is the way to go for playing them in 2023. far easier than trying to get the PC versions to work on modern systems/

Last edited:

StereoVsn

you may as well pick up DOS 2 while its on sale, because the quality jump from the original to 2 is giant.

I consider D:OS 2 to be the finest turn based combat system in a cRPG of all time. It's that good.

For those wondering, the playstation ports of Wizardry played via an emulator on pc is the way to go for playing them in 2023. far easier than trying to get the PC versions to work on modern systems/
For Wizardry, might as well go with 6-7-8 Trilogy which runs fine in modern PCs. Got the GoG versions I think.

Fools idol

Banned
just a heads up that Larian is doing a final pre-launch stream to show case the game in depth in 3 hours time.

featuring a first look at dragonborn, half-orcs and monks, a preview of the game at Level 12, final Origin character, a playthrough in split-screen co-op multiplayer etc

Fbh

Normally that'd be a dealbreaker, but since it's Larian it might actually be 75-100 hour of quality content instead of terribly paced bloat as with most 60+ hours long games.

Top Bottom