• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Community goes crazy after studio reveals Bear Romance Scene

Drizzlehell

Banned
Hah, incest was portrayed in a neutral light in A Song of Ice and Fire, at least when it came to Targaryens. And the child orgy scene in IT was clearly written as a positive scene. Hannibal was also mostly portrayed as an anti-hero.

But if you want weird positive things then look no further:

Or just read fanfiction. The odd, illegal, prohibited, unnatural, and forbidden has always been a staple of fiction. Be it books, videos, or games.

People are frankly odd, but very few are going to look at this and think it's normal to go out and fuck a bear. If they did they likely already believed that.
I think you have some things to work through on your own, buddy. Good luck with that.

The community need to get a sense of humour. It’s a fantasy game filled with murder, cultists and other fucked up shit, yet they get up in arms about a character turning into a bear when about to get laid? Fuck off.

I’m more pissed off that there has been no mention of cross platform multiplayer. I’m assuming there won’t be at this point but at least let us know!

Last edited:

KBii

Banned
Again I'll just reiterate that I've no issues with the content. Fictional things for the most part should be creative as long as they don't broach legal quagmires.

My issue is how certain groups cherrypick what they'll be outraged about when it comes to Fictional content:

Zathalus

I think you have some things to work through on your own, buddy. Good luck with that.
Wow, resorting to an ad hominem already? Because obviously I personally wrote all of those pieces of fiction and approve of everything they may contain.

Just because I don't get my panties in a bunch when it comes to freaky shit in media doesn't mean I enjoy or even condone it. C*m For Bigfoot: Volume One on Amazon isn't exactly my cup of tea. Nor will I be fucking the bear in BG3.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The community need to get a sense of humour. It’s a fantasy game filled with murder, cultists and other fucked up shit, yet they get up in arms about a character turning into a bear when about to get laid? Fuck off.

I’m more pissed off that there has been no mention of cross platform multiplayer. I’m assuming there won’t be at this point but at least let us know!
They already confirmed there won't be any crossplay

Drizzlehell

Banned
Wow, resorting to an ad hominem already? Because obviously I personally wrote all of those pieces of fiction and approve of everything they may contain.

Just because I don't get my panties in a bunch when it comes to freaky shit in media doesn't mean I enjoy or even condone it. C*m For Bigfoot: Volume One on Amazon isn't exactly my cup of tea. Nor will I be fucking the bear in BG3.
The fact that you'd consider Hannibal Lecter an anti-hero, or think of a child orgy as something positive says more about you than it does about those works of fiction. Lecter is an interesting character and has been brought to life through a magnetic performance by Anthony Hopkins, but he is very clearly an evil serial killer who eats people for fucks sake. He's fascinating specifically because it's a great depiction of how serial killers are so successful at what they do because of their charismatic personalities, but by no means are they meant to be viewed as anti-heroes. I'm not even gonna touch upon that scene from IT because Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with you...?

And seriously, don't dredge up some random smut because that is clearly not a normal fiction intended for general audiences.

You either genuinely have trouble understanding nuance or just being obtuse for the sake of arguing. Either way, I see no point in going down that rabbit hole with you anymore. The only appropriate response here would be "wow, this is fucked up, why would they put this in a game?" and leaving the topic at that.

Corian33

I swear some of you fuckers here never even played a session of DnD. This shit is tame compare to stories I have heard of other sessions from players.
Right? Anyone who has ever actually played DnD knows half the game is seeing what silly and ridiculous situations happen. The games I’ve played generally avoided anything sexual, but to think Larian is going off the rails by having goofy stuff in their RPG’s is totally off the mark.

This isn’t meant to be taken seriously, calm down people.

Fredrik

Again I'll just reiterate that I've no issues with the content. Fictional things for the most part should be creative as long as they don't broach legal quagmires.

My issue is how certain groups cherrypick what they'll be outraged about when it comes to Fictional content:

Lol yeah does anybody actually think the reception would’ve been the same if Larian would’ve shown a hot woman about to get fucked by a bear?
Of course not. 🎭

Last edited:
People are really missing the point, they didn’t show it to promote beastiality, they did it to show that their game is reactive to the player to an exceptional degree, even to the point of allowing a player to transform into an animal to get their freak on.
This is not required content, it’s just there to show how far this game is designed to go to accommodate player choice.
The game also allows you to commit genocide, not everything the game allows for is necessarily something the developer is promoting.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The fact that you'd consider Hannibal Lecter an anti-hero, or think of a child orgy as something positive says more about you than it does about those works of fiction. Lecter is an interesting character and has been brought to life through a magnetic performance by Anthony Hopkins, but he is very clearly an evil serial killer who eats people for fucks sake. He's fascinating specifically because it's a great depiction of how serial killers are so successful at what they do because of their charismatic personalities, but by no means are they meant to be viewed as anti-heroes. I'm not even gonna touch upon that scene from IT because Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with you...?

Where exactly did I write that I saw Hannibal as an anti-hero or that the IT scene was something I endorsed? I was referred to authorial intent not my personal feelings on the matter. Personally I think Hannibal is a monster and the scene in IT was completely unnecessary. Take up your issues with Thomas Harris and Stephen King, not me.

But the fact of the matter is that these things (and many, many others) were written decades ago and have basically zero impact on the normalisation of anything.

Maybe stop trying to attack my character and address my actual point, that this scene is relatively tame in the wider world of fiction and none of it leads to normalisation.

And seriously, don't dredge up some random smut because that is clearly not a normal fiction intended for general audiences.

It's on Amazon, anyone can buy it. There are also hundreds of games on Steam that anyone can buy that contain far worse then this. Or even novels that can be picked up at your local library. Plenty of books that touch upon taboo topics are considered "normal". Even though what is considered normal depends on your own culture and interpretation. Light Novels in Japan contain far more bizarre things then this for example.

BG3 is also rated M so it's obviously only intended for adults as well.

You either genuinely have trouble understanding nuance or just being obtuse for the sake of arguing. Either way, I see no point in going down that rabbit hole with you anymore. The only appropriate response here would be "wow, this is fucked up, why would they put this in a game?" and leaving the topic at that.
That's not the only appropriate response, take your pearl clutching and maybe go start a petition or something.

MAtgS

yogi_bear_poster_02.jpg

Guilty_AI

When? I’ve been keeping an eye on news but haven’t seen anything.
I remember reading an article saying it wouldn't. However reading it further now there does seem to be conflicting information. They suggested there might be crossplay between more accounts than pc launchers in the future, but thats it.

John Bilbo

I swear some of you fuckers here never even played a session of DnD. This shit is tame compare to stories I have heard of other sessions from players.
I think the difference between playing DnD around a table with your buddies and seeing video of Baldur's Gate 3 is the high fidelity visual rendering of events in this case instead of talking it out and imagining the events in your head.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I think the difference between playing DnD around a table with your buddies and seeing video of Baldur's Gate 3 is the high fidelity visual rendering of events in this case instead of talking it out and imagining the events in your head.
Its all in the imagination here too, they don't explicitly show it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
In other words sessions with BAD players then. I prefer a decent DnD narrative from a good DM then a bunch of horny DnD players that play high Charisma Bards.

Last edited:

Gorgon

None of the examples that you provided portrayed those things in a positive light and that's what you guys are missing here. Bestiality is something that shouldn't be portrayed as anything but a disgusting, degenerate act, get it through your thick skulls already.

You guys should join Resetera. The narrative and discourse is different but the self-righteous witch-hunting attitude is exactely the same.

Because of a little thing called...

free freedom GIF

Guilty_AI

You guys should join Resetera. The narrative and discourse is different but the self-righteous witch-hunting attitude is exactely the same.
Funny enough, you see people making these exact same complaints there, same arguments on "why its bad" too, bringing up lolis and everything.

Ok this is entering the realm of when all the lefty psychos lost their shit over the RDR2 video where the guy fed the Suffragette to the alligator. Calm your tits people, it's a funny video where the CRPG devs invoked a D&D meme while promoting the narrative control they give the player.

Not everything is a psyop.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Sure, because there's either GAF or there's Era and there's like nothing in between.

Maybe try to unplug sometimes and live in the real world.

Red5

When I was a kid video games where about fun, now they're about who's dick goes into who's hole.

Fredrik

When I was a kid video games where about fun, now they're about who's dick goes into who's hole.
Well I played Sex Games on the C64 when I was 9 or so, all the dicks goes into all the holes there and it’s all gameplay a bit like Track’n Field 🤓

I have no issue with anything, I’m just curious if we would see certain people condemn this with concerned articles and loud tweets if Larian unveiled these romance options by showing a lady getting banged.
I guess we’ll find out after launch. Or when the model swap mods are out…
Is there a line that can not be crossed? Or is it just polygons?

Hugare

People taking this news seriously as if the number of bestiality cases with bears will increase significantly after the game launches

People really need to find more meaningful reasons to get outraged. Ridiculous stuff.

Red5

Well I played Sex Games on the C64 when I was 9 or so, all the dicks goes into all the holes there and it’s all gameplay a bit like Track’n Field 🤓

I have no issue with anything, I’m just curious if we would see certain people condemn this with concerned articles and loud tweets if Larian unveiled these romance options by showing a lady getting banged.
I guess we’ll find out after launch. Or when the model swap mods are out…
Is there a line that can not be crossed? Or is it just polygons?

I don't mind sex and romance in video games, I actually like the love interests in Baldur's Gate 2, Mass Effect, Dragon Age etc... My point is more about media coverage of gender roles and sexuality in video games, back then outlets just joked about it, now it's something serious to write about, I'll just stick to gameplay previews.

EruditeHobo

I would disagree because even within the context that the game provides, the end result is still sex with an animal - this is still contributing towards normalisation of bestiality, similar to how fucking a 400 year old loli in a video game would be normalising pedophilia. We're talking about real life animal abuse by clearly mentally ill people who should be treated and not encouraged to explore their fucked up sexual perversions.

i feel sorry for people like you that see this as a simple joke

OK guys, now do guns in video games.

I'm surprised you have time to even worry about this, what with all the precious, vulnerable children engaging with insane levels of violence in entertainment over the last 20 years. I mean, kids have been sawing people in have with chainsaw assault rifles since like 2006! Should I check post histories for your heroic decrying of these levels of violence used for entertainment? Will I find anything?

The community doesn't need to do anything. If you find bestiality funny, that's on you. There's a lot of people who don't.

... hits a little too close to home, maybe?

You're the same as people storming out of comedy shows because people said a thing you find "offensive". Please realize this.

As someone who loved bg1 and 2, this is actually turning me off from this game, somewhat.
Sorry bestiality is not cool. I know some weirdos think everything goes and its ok to be a pervert...but come on.
If this is what gets people into rpgs, fine, but i really hope this type of thing is few and far between and optional.

It be one thing if both were turned into animals, i could understand that, but still.

What gets me too is these same people on twitter praising this shit clutch their pearls over attractive women, sexy aesthetics or any mention of a hetero relationship.
Stuff I cherish from the late 70s-early to 80s (conan /red sonia naked muscle people or old D&D artwork) is shunned as objectifying .... the hypocrisy.

More mental illness being injected into videogames. Was thinking about getting BG 3, but with this bestiality injected into it, no thanks.
Yep... sad....

I'll still get the game and ignore this, but doesn't mean I like it,.

Drizzlehell

Banned
OK guys, now do guns in video games.

I'm surprised you have time to even worry about this, what with all the precious, vulnerable children engaging with insane levels of violence in entertainment over the last 20 years. I mean, kids have been sawing people in have with chainsaw assault rifles since like 2006! Should I check post histories for your heroic decrying of these levels of violence used for entertainment? Will I find anything?
I wish this was true, maybe then we would have fewer people taking up parking space.

Top Bottom