• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

lmimmfn

Haha you read my mind. Its taking me ages to get anywhere as Im trying to do everything and slowly realising that isnt possible
You're better off not trying to get the best outcome on everything(just the main things) as you'll enjoy it more and becomes your story.

The_hunter

Finished the game on PS5, I really liked it. The quality of the story and writing reminded me of the old classic rpgs.

Really liked the combat system.

Only issue was the inventory on console starts to lag when you fill it up with items.

Draugoth

Gold Member
PYtoZqV.jpg

I won't let this thread die. I was falling off for a bit, but played the PS5 version a bit this weekend with cross saves and I'm all the way back again. Doing Act 1 for about the tenth time because I always get the urge to roll new characters. My Tiefling Padlock just saved the Grove and it was still as good as the first time.

Convinced my sister to get it on PS5. Joined her game, finally got to try a Monk. A bald, bearded, gnome to instruct her on the ways of BG3. Turns out Monk fucking rules and you get to be the damn Avatar once you reach level three.

Was surprised to see how great it controls with a gamepad. I'm actually loving the different camera angle you naturally get because of using a controller. Bump because this is still the GOTY by far. I won't let anyone forget.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
I'm now about 2/3rds of this game and feel I have played enough to give a review. This is coming from the perspective of a DM who has been playing DND since 2002.

What I like:

Great Story that takes full advantage of DND's lore: Fantastic premise for a game. The core concept has a neat race against-the-clock pressure to it that works well. Some pretty decent twists too. Really delves into some of the cooler and weirder aspects of DND lore, like some Spelljammer stuff for example. Side quests are mostly good too

Great cast of characters: Cool heroes like Wyll and Shadowheart. Karlach is best girl though. The stories are really neat and fun, with lots of genuine drama and dilemas.

Great use of DND mechanics: Best use of implementing DND's ruleset into a game. Really scratch's on the system's quirks and flexibility. Even though there are changes to rules for some things, it's pretty faithful (and fun). It feels like I'm playing real DND

Interactivity: The world feels so alive due to how much you can interact with it

Great production values: From art direction to music to voice acting. I love the way the game looks and sounds.

Branching paths: You can play through this game so many times and have different playthroughs. It's amazing in that regard. My playthrough is completely different from anyone elses.

What I dislike:

How Relationships are Handled: Way too much emphasis on sexuality. You can't just be friends with people. You either have to fuck them or reject them. There isn't a "BFF" option. I hate this sort of post-modernist view of relationships. Sometimes you just want to be bros. Not everything is about sex. Fortunately it's a small part, but it is a part. This does seep into the main story though. There is a character that you basically can't "save" unless you're someone's lover. It's much harder to do so unless you fuck someone.

What I Hate:

How glitchy the game is. This game shouldn't have been released yet. It's endemic of how terrible Western developers are with releasing a QA game. Larien has been good about releasing patches but it's still a mess. Iv'e had crashes. Once guest character permadied because I couldn't access their abilities and they got ganged up on. I've had spells not do anything even though, for example I've summoned a sacred weapon. It's turn never comes. I've had quests glitch out and become unable to be completed. You name it, it's happened. A year from now it may be better, but for now it's a mess. Sometimes I can't tell if something is glitching or I'm doing something wrong.

The autosave sucks: It might as well not even be there. I've lost several hours of progress because of this. I eventually started save spamming.

Inventory management is a mess. There should have been a better way than this.

The game does a horrible job of letting you know you're about to go into large fights. There was one fight in Act 2 where I got completely blindsided. Fortunately I lost because if I had won the fight, I don't think I would have liked what happened next

Summary: There is a lot I like about the game. It is a masterclass from a game design perspective. However, it's marred by really shitty quality control issues. Maybe in a year from now, it will be a 9/10 game when Larien finishes patching it. They've already done amazing work in the month since I started. But for now, it's a 6.8/10 game for me. Those glitches really add a layer of frustration and cause me not to trust it. While that score makes it sound like I hate the game, I don't. I actually love it. I continue to play it despite the issues it has. If it was a lesser game I wouldn't deal with this. No way in hell should this game be GotY though. Maybe next year it will be. I wish I had waited.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
I just started playing and have no idea what I’m doing but I’m having fun. Reminds me of Dragon Age Origins, as that was the last game i played even remotely like this. So far I’m having a blast and not really worrying about anything, just pick the options I would pick and letting the pieces fall where they may. All the stats and mechanics are making me nerd out pretty hard. Good shit.

Freeman76

This game is just incredible. Like skip having a shower so I can save the dwarves incredible. Ive put 40 hours into act one, about to go into act 2. My only fear atm is the next 2 chapters arent as big, I dont want the game to end. Magnificent

nowhat

I just started playing and have no idea what I’m doing but I’m having fun.
Some people suggest save scumming with the rolls, but I think that's not worth it. It can be much more fun to fail spectacularly.

But I do have a tip - for the ultra-spoiler-allergic types don't read any further, but just a simple game mechanic: if you have bard in your lineup, or someone with performance/musical abilities, give them an instrument and you can earn some gold while distracting guards/NPCs. However, you can do the same with someone who really has no idea how to play anything. People will absolutely hate it and you'll be getting no gold, but the distraction will be pretty much the same.

DelireMan7

So I tricked the gobelins leader to think I was on their side. With the drow, I plan to attack the Grove only to betray her once she was there.
Epic battle to defend the besieged grove and kill the drow.

This resolve the tieffeling problems and Halsin free himself from the Gobelin. All that by just killing 1 Gobelin's chief. Really happy :)

Also I got laid by Lae'zel :)

Love the game !

calistan

Gold Member
What I Hate:

How glitchy the game is. This game shouldn't have been released yet. It's endemic of how terrible Western developers are with releasing a QA game. Larien has been good about releasing patches but it's still a mess. Iv'e had crashes. Once guest character permadied because I couldn't access their abilities and they got ganged up on. I've had spells not do anything even though, for example I've summoned a sacred weapon. It's turn never comes. I've had quests glitch out and become unable to be completed. You name it, it's happened. A year from now it may be better, but for now it's a mess. Sometimes I can't tell if something is glitching or I'm doing something wrong.

The autosave sucks: It might as well not even be there. I've lost several hours of progress because of this. I eventually started save spamming.

Inventory management is a mess. There should have been a better way than this.

The game does a horrible job of letting you know you're about to go into large fights. There was one fight in Act 2 where I got completely blindsided. Fortunately I lost because if I had won the fight, I don't think I would have liked what happened next

Summary: There is a lot I like about the game. It is a masterclass from a game design perspective. However, it's marred by really shitty quality control issues. Maybe in a year from now, it will be a 9/10 game when Larien finishes patching it. They've already done amazing work in the month since I started. But for now, it's a 6.8/10 game for me. Those glitches really add a layer of frustration and cause me not to trust it. While that score makes it sound like I hate the game, I don't. I actually love it. I continue to play it despite the issues it has. If it was a lesser game I wouldn't deal with this. No way in hell should this game be GotY though. Maybe next year it will be. I wish I had waited.
That doesn't tally with my experience, it was nowhere near as glitchy as you describe. I had the occasional cutscene give me a bad camera angle, or an attack animation didn't play properly, but spells not working or quests breaking? Never, not even once. I had two crashes to desktop in 143 hours of play, I guess that was annoying.

Saving - F5 to quicksave, F8 to load. I became pretty familiar with those shortcuts, there's no need for autosave. Solves the problem of getting sucked into a battle when you're not ready, too.

Inventory management is good in this game, you can group things by type, weight, recency,You can mark unwanted loot for a quick sale. There's a search function to see if a character had a specific potion or whatever. You can instantly get detailed info on all the jargon used. I don't know what else you might expect.

6.8/10 - seriously? I doubt if many reviewers would agree with you on that one.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
That doesn't tally with my experience, it was nowhere near as glitchy as you describe. I had the occasional cutscene give me a bad camera angle, or an attack animation didn't play properly, but spells not working or quests breaking? Never, not even once. I had two crashes to desktop in 143 hours of play, I guess that was annoying.

Saving - F5 to quicksave, F8 to load. I became pretty familiar with those shortcuts, there's no need for autosave. Solves the problem of getting sucked into a battle when you're not ready, too.

Inventory management is good in this game, you can group things by type, weight, recency,You can mark unwanted loot for a quick sale. There's a search function to see if a character had a specific potion or whatever. You can instantly get detailed info on all the jargon used. I don't know what else you might expect.

6.8/10 - seriously? I doubt if many reviewers would agree with you on that one.
For what it's worth, I'm playing on the PS5, so it might be a system issue. I don't have the luxury of F5ing. And inventory management might be better with mouse and keyboard, but its a real drag on with a controller.

Here are the quests that broke for me.

In the cave near the beach in Act 1, itnwas completely empty. The event never triggered where Withers shows up. Fortunately he randomly showed up in camp later, but there wasnt anything to do in his cave. Fortunately hos casket still had the cool necklace though.

Halsins quest. After waking up Art, Halsin wandered off to the lake shore. I tried to do the battle there but it was hard so i decided to do other quests and come back to it. However now Halsin is stuck at camp with the quest marker. Cant get him tonl go back to the lake.

Find the Tieflings - Found their dead bodies in the oubliette. However quest is acting like I saved them

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
If a game is so broken it gets in the way of having fun and causes massive amounts of frustration, it is certainly warrented. This game lacks polish as it stands right now. BG3 without bugs? 9/10 minimum. BG3 as it stands today, 6.8

This is not just about BG3, but I must be the luckiest person ever when it comes to glitches, bugs, etc. especially the 'game breaking' kind. I have simply never had even close to the experience others talk about while playing the same games.

People said Elden Ring has major issues (still do to this day) that game has never not run flawlessly for me. BG3 will have some hiccups here and there but it is not even enough for me to mention them as something that even affected my enjoyment at all.

Guess I'm just lucky?

calistan

Gold Member
For what it's worth, I'm playing on the PS5, so it might be a system issue. I don't have the luxury of F5ing. And inventory management might be better with mouse and keyboard, but its a real drag on with a controller.

Here are the quests that broke for me.

In the cave near the beach in Act 1, itnwas completely empty. The event never triggered where Withers shows up. Fortunately he randomly showed up in camp later, but there wasnt anything to do in his cave. Fortunately hos casket still had the cool necklace though.

Halsins quest. After waking up Art, Halsin wandered off to the lake shore. I tried to do the battle there but it was hard so i decided to do other quests and come back to it. However now Halsin is stuck at camp with the quest marker. Cant get him tonl go back to the lake.

Find the Tieflings - Found their dead bodies in the oubliette. However quest is acting like I saved them
Sometimes there's another thing that triggers the next step in a quest, particularly if you've skipped a part or left it to come back later. Could be that you did something that completed a later part of a quest (or could indeed be a bug).

Inventory management is really solid with a keyboard. Drag and drop between characters, drag containers to different parts of the screen and have them all open alongside your own stash, arrange items in the hotbar and lock them in place, pop-ups to compare stats and show if a character is proficient with that gear before you equip it... I used the search function all the time. Compare it to Starfield, which I'm playing at the moment (controller) and it's night and day. A confusing mess of nested menus in Starfield.

Shame they don't support M&K on PS5, really. There are several Xbox games that support it, so I'd hope the Xbox version at least has that feature.

pxlwrld

Neo Member
I'm at the point of fatigue with this game. It's a great game for sure, well worth the praise it's getting. But I'm nearing the 70 hour mark in Act III and I'm starting to wish it would just end so I can move on. Doesn't help that the game 'requires' really dedicated sessions in order to enjoy it as it is supposed to. By my estimation I still have 'at least' another 20 hours ahead of me. I think I will take a break from it for a couple days and recharge my desire to keep going for the end.

I enjoyed my time with it tho. I have a fair amount of crashes, but it seems I somehow mitigated them to only occur once every couple hours. Bugs are certainly happening for me, but nothing game breaking. Occasionally characters mention events or choices that didn't happen - but those are minor gripes for me.

G-Bus

Banned
Rescued Helsin and a buddy of mine says I'm nearly at the end of act 1?

Keep seeing comments on how big act 1 is and I'm only 6 hours in and feel like I've missed a ton.

I guess I can just not go back to the grove and look for stuff to do.

Games almost too open ended for me as Im not good at just enjoying the game organically and feel like I need more direction.

Mister Wolf

Keep seeing comments on how big act 1 is and I'm only 6 hours in and feel like I've missed a ton.

Games almost too open ended for me as Im not good at just enjoying the game organically and feel like I need more direction.

Visit Lazael's Creche. After you finish that go down to the Underdark through the Goblin Temple.

Freeman76

Finished Act One. So bloody good! I dont want this game to end, I put 40 hours into the first act. Ive read a few people say Acts 2 and 3 are much shorter, but that was on Reddit where plebs dwell, is that true?

FireFly

Finished Act One. So bloody good! I dont want this game to end, I put 40 hours into the first act. Ive read a few people say Acts 2 and 3 are much shorter, but that was on Reddit where plebs dwell, is that true?
Act 2 might be a bit shorter, but Act 3 certainly isn't, at least if you do the companion quests. I spent about half my time with the game in Act 3 alone.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Trust me, there's A LOT of act 1 you just haven't found.

Act 3's the longest for most people.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
I'm at the point of fatigue with this game. It's a great game for sure, well worth the praise it's getting. But I'm nearing the 70 hour mark in Act III and I'm starting to wish it would just end so I can move on.

I'm right there with you. I feel like I've already done so much in Act III yet it just keeps going. My crew has been max level for a while now so there's no new power levels to look forward to. My last save last night was under the jail where there may or may not be some dragon to help the city. I'm thinking of just beelining the main story at this point just to get this thing over with, I only need that shapeshifter chick's macguffin then I think I can face the big boss brain boy.

Last edited:

SCB3

I'm hard stuck on a fight in Act 1, 2 Death Shepards and multiple Ghouls, I'm just not strong enough to fight them all, I'm also apparently missing some party members so need to go find them I think

Mister Wolf

I'm hard stuck on a fight in Act 1, 2 Death Shepards and multiple Ghouls, I'm just not strong enough to fight them all, I'm also apparently missing some party members so need to go find them I think

Did you do the stuff at Lazael's Creche near that area?

ebevan91

Holy fuck, Last Light Inn did NOT go well. Was tempted to reload but my last save was 2 hours ago. Guess I gotta roll with this.......

I got a couple co-workers that are doing a co-op playthrough (without me :messenger_sad_relieved:) and they skipped the Inn entirely in act 2 and it screwed up so much in act 3.

G-Bus

Banned
Underdark is a bit difficult....

I think my party of me being a paladin with shawdowheart, lazel and karlach isn't a great mix.

Also think I messed up a bit with leveling and choosing spells. No idea what I was doing and it shows in combat now.

Tempted to start over but I've already done that once before...

Doom85

Underdark is a bit difficult....

I think my party of me being a paladin with shawdowheart, lazel and karlach isn't a great mix.

Also think I messed up a bit with leveling and choosing spells. No idea what I was doing and it shows in combat now.

Tempted to start over but I've already done that once before...

You can just respec with Withers at your camp, no need to restart. Apparently even if you didn’t find him in the ruins near the crash site at the beginning of the game, he should show up at your camp eventually.

nowhat

Yeah im worried ive fucked act 3 now, so many quests failed
No, you should take a more positive stance. You'll have a lot to discover with your next character/playthrough! The game isn't meant to be played so that you'll see everything in one run, and AFAIK while you may be locked out of certain content, the game cannot end up unfinishable (is that a word? well it is now) no matter what.

SCB3

These is a way in there. U gotta explore. Or look it up.
Ah ok, I knew there was something I was missing

I will say, I knocked the game down to Explorer for now and its still hard, I did swap out Alerion for Gale as I needed a Magic user as both I and Shadowheart are Clerics, I need to go find Karlech though, I missed her before this section

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Ah ok, I knew there was something I was missing

I will say, I knocked the game down to Explorer for now and its still hard, I did swap out Alerion for Gale as I needed a Magic user as both I and Shadowheart are Clerics, I need to go find Karlech though, I missed her before this section

If you want Shadowheart to excel at healing then respec her into Life Domain Cleric. She even gets heavy armor proficiency.

nowhat

If you haven't completed the game, don't watch this because SPOILERS, but otherwise good fun, albeit not his greatest video.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can I do that at the Witherer guy at my camp?

Yeah, you've got to redo everything including her stats but life domain is pretty good for a healer. I'd also personally recommend not having two clerics although it's still one of the strongest classes in the game so you can if you like.

If you're saying you only have 3 people in your party then your absolute #1 priority is to get a fourth, there's no downside to having four. You can beat the whole game solo but that's only for people who know all the ins and outs.

SCB3

Yeah, you've got to redo everything including her stats but life domain is pretty good for a healer. I'd also personally recommend not having two clerics although it's still one of the strongest classes in the game so you can if you like.

If you're saying you only have 3 people in your party then your absolute #1 priority is to get a fourth, there's no downside to having four. You can beat the whole game solo but that's only for people who know all the ins and outs.
No I have 4, Me, Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale and Astarion to choose from, I also have Halsin, but he won't join my party

Yea I picked a Cleric for myself but thinking I may change to a Rogue, I like the ranged attacks and I do have some kind of singing sword as well, no idea what I'm doing class wise

AV

No I have 4, Me, Shadowheart, Lae'zel, Gale and Astarion to choose from, I also have Halsin, but he won't join my party

Yea I picked a Cleric for myself but thinking I may change to a Rogue, I like the ranged attacks and I do have some kind of singing sword as well, no idea what I'm doing class wise

Halsin will join in act 2 I think if you want him to. My best advice is probably, don't try and swap all the potential party in and out, stick with 3 for the game. If you replay it can you take 3 more. Might get a bit overwhelming otherwise between inventory management and remembering what 7 different classes do.

If it helps, Shadowheart and Lae'zel are the two most intrinsic to the core plot. After that it varies. Honestly just go with the companions you like and respec them to whatever you want. Strengths and weaknesses to all classes, no "wrong" combination really. Run 1 I did druid/cleric/fighter/wizard and run 2 I did barbarian/rogue-ranger/paladin-warlock/cleric.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I kind of wish either Will or Gale didn't try and jump my bones all the time, I just want to Bro out with someone - like a Garrus vibe, without the super awkward vibe after they get iffy as fuck when you reject them. Just started Act 3, maybe a mate awaits in the city!

Just one of them, would be amazing.

Gale has the potential to be an Alistair to your Tav, but he is the worst at not taking a hint: i just wanted to see a magic trick bro, I didn't wanna get a magic missle in the eye. I should of known better later on with the camp walk bit, but I figured I'd already told him no and he'd respect that and maybe, just maybe we're good bros now...no: he is relentlessly attacking my groin with hungry eyes.

My Kingdom for Minsc!, if he tries to bone me too, I'm going to actually have my first proper moan about the game.....so far it's been 1000 gushing praises only from my pie hole, non-stop love for this game: just lack of bro time.

Buggy Loop

I kind of wish either Will or Gale didn't try and jump my bones all the time, I just want to Bro out with someone - like a Garrus vibe, without the super awkward vibe after they get iffy as fuck when you reject them. Just started Act 3, maybe a mate awaits in the city!

Just one of them, would be amazing.

Gale has the potential to be an Alistair to your Tav, but he is the worst at not taking a hint: i just wanted to see a magic trick bro, I didn't wanna get a magic missle in the eye. I should of known better later on with the camp walk bit, but I figured I'd already told him no and he'd respect that and maybe, just maybe we're good bros now...no: he is relentlessly attacking my groin with hungry eyes.

My Kingdom for Minsc!, if he tries to bone me too, I'm going to actually have my first proper moan about the game.....so far it's been 1000 gushing praises only from my pie hole, non-stop love for this game: just lack of bro time.

Yup. Maybe a sexual orientation in the character creator, not to remove the choice if you pursue it, but to calm them the fuck down.

Gale wanted to show me a magic trick, I thought cool bro sure! Oh…

Is a high level magic user basically a must in your party? I’m on my 6th or so character, and my favorite so far. The furthest I’ve been on a different character is some ways into Act 2, on that character La’Zael and Astarion died quite early on, so I’m trying to make them main team members this time around. La’Zael is good, and I LOVE the Rogue stealth combat, so it’s no burden to have them along. But my Tav is a Paladin with a hint of Warlock, and Karlach rounds out the party by nature of being awesome. So I basically have no magic users, or at least no powerful ones who can do lots of AoE.

Is this unsustainable? I just restored power to the Arcane Tower in the Underdark. Level 4.

SCB3

Ok, so I went got a bunch of gold and repeced a few characters, now I have

• Me - A Ranger, I like the idea of summoning Animals to help, plus Ranged attacks which make sense a lot in this game, keeping away from enemies is a good idea
  • Lae'zel - A fighter, focused on Heavy attacks, trips and jumping around, looking at a build guide for her, she gains the ability to be a great tank and attack multiple times in a turn, so thats awesome, she now hits super hard
  • Shadowheart - Changed her to be a Tempest Cleric, now can have Heavy Armor and Bless, so so much better
  • Gale - Not fully sure where to go with him, but magic hits damned hard, I got into the Monetary and straight up cleared the room with just him and an Electric bolt, it just chained everyone!
Now at the Creche, so progress made, it was worth spending an hour or so repeccing I think, I'm learning a lot

calistan

Gold Member
Is a high level magic user basically a must in your party? I’m on my 6th or so character, and my favorite so far. The furthest I’ve been on a different character is some ways into Act 2, on that character La’Zael and Astarion died quite early on, so I’m trying to make them main team members this time around. La’Zael is good, and I LOVE the Rogue stealth combat, so it’s no burden to have them along. But my Tav is a Paladin with a hint of Warlock, and Karlach rounds out the party by nature of being awesome. So I basically have no magic users, or at least no powerful ones who can do lots of AoE.

Is this unsustainable? I just restored power to the Arcane Tower in the Underdark. Level 4.
Seems like there are countless ways to play it, and if a character isn't working out as you hoped then you can redo it however you like. Better than restarting the entire game, I think. Personally I never went for stealth, and only had Lae'zel as a melee fighter. Everyone else was magic all the way, and after a while I could pretty much walk through most of the bosses.

There's one part where you fight a mirror image of yourself (or the entire party if you brought them along) and it was really interesting to see how the AI used my own characters. They made heavy use of moves I'd never tried and strategies I'd never thought of. (I wiped the floor with them, mind.)

Depends on the difficulty. Hardest difficulty? You'll have a hard time with hybrid classes compared to pure spec. Manageable but you'll suffer and reload a lot. Pure specs tho? Easy cake. Late game Karlach was dealing 80% of the damage with her fury two handed legendary weapon. No one stood a chance. Tactician mode. And Gale or mages in general have some OP high-end spells that I think it's a must for certain bosses, such as an AOE invincibility shield, and it lasts for like 3 turns. I personally never liked stealth in crpgs. The only CRPG that it worked well was in Pathfinder, if you had the trickster path because in that game esentially you don't actually have to be hidden to do stealth damage.

Top Bottom