• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

I'm so damned hyped for this game now, having looked through some of this thread and found out there was NG+

Was there any info regarding how long the game is going to be including the side quests?

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I'm so damned hyped for this game now, having looked through some of this thread and found out there was NG+

Was there any info regarding how long the game is going to be including the side quests?
The quote from Rocksteady is 25 hours for the main story, 40 when including sidequests, plus whatever you feel like for the challenge modes.

Mikeside

Holy awesomesauce, Batman!
I just got a great comp entry from GoncaloCCastro complete with dramatic reading :D

My wildest dreams am come true :D

The Nature Roy said:
The quote from Rocksteady is 25 hours for the main story, 40 when including sidequests, plus whatever you feel like for the challenge modes.

Thanks for quick response. Thats awesomely, lengthy.

Square Triangle said:
Kmart is offering a $30 gift card and a Batman tshirt for purchase? Holy mother of god.

I saw that deal a few days ago and am still very tempted by it, it bugs me that you have to be a rewards member though.

Varth

The Nature Roy said:

Dunno. I'd say the story is more or less on par with AA in terms of the average walktrough time (not much backtracking of exploring, sticking to the story). 40 hours for a perfect 100% seems reasonable, however. If you go at it without an official guide, that's it.

Cheska

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
I saw that deal a few days ago and am still very tempted by it, it bugs me that you have to be a rewards member though.

The membership is completely free and takes about 5 minutes to complete. If that's the only thing holding you back, I'd go for it.

Vire

Varth said:
Dunno. I'd say the story is more or less on par with AA in terms of the average walktrough time (not much backtracking of exploring, sticking to the story). 40 hours for a perfect 100% seems reasonable, however. If you go at it without an official guide, that's it.
Are you reviewing it right now? If so could you tell me when the embargo is up and a general thumbs up or thumbs down? :)

Varth said:

And what is the average walktrough for Arkham Asylum? Man I hate it when devs overestimate the length of their game.

Hawk269

If anyone wants to buy the PC version, I have about 3 copies for sale. Just PM me if interested.

I had bought 2 new GPU's and a friend bought 2 as well and each one came with a coupon code for a free copy of the game. He is not a action game type of guy so he gave me his 2 coupons. I am keeping 1 for myself, so the other 3 are up for sale. Willing to let them go at $30 bucks or so each.

MasterShotgun said:
Just 10 more days. The wait is starting to get unbearable.
Seriously. And AC will carry me til UC3, which will last til Skyward Sword. And then I've got Dark Souls... Fucking amazing holiday season this will be, '98 be damned.

Edit - wai-wai-waitaminute same walkthrough length as AA? Wasn't that a 10-12 hr. Game?

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Holy shit at that kmart deal! I have this pre-ordered at newegg for $47 but I may pay $12 more and get it from kmart and use that $30 credit towards Rayman.

What would Gaf do?

Salsa

this out yet?

god this OT is early

makes it way tougher

now i understand the "one week before release" rule

Doomrider

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Edit - wai-wai-waitaminute same walkthrough length as AA? Wasn't that a 10-12 hr. Game?

One of the reviews mentioned 15 hours for the main story only (ignoring the optional content completely). AA was a 10-12 hour game, yeah.

I'm not worried about the length of the story, really. 13-15 hours is great, and there's still loads of stuff to do after/during that. I can totally see myself flying around the city aimlessly for hours (if it's as fun as it looks, which I'm sure it is). I want this game so bad ;_;

Salsa

Second playthrough: main game + all the riddles

5BRpf.png

that was last year i think, i had already done 100 percent everything on the game on a retail PC version, but i played through it again when it was cheap on Steam and i ended up getting all the riddles again.

So there: that's the hardest difficulty, and on a second playthrough where i mostly remembered where all the riddles were. That's a pretty damn good lenght, im already happy with that and knowing that this game is longer (maybe way longer) makes me not worry at all.

This game is one of the must buys this year for me.
And that is saying something considering the little time have to play games and knowing what games are releasing in the final 4 months this year.

Doomrider said:
I can totally see myself flying around the city aimlessly for hours (if it's as fun as it looks, which I'm sure it is). I want this game so bad ;_;

Same. This video pretty much sold me on the Day One.

I hope its as fun as traversing NY as Spiderman in the good 'ol days.

JazzmanZ

So i've been watching a lot of the Batman the animated series and I'm getting a lot more pumped for this game, really hope it takes more cues from the cartoon, Mr. Freeze reveal already has me excited hes taken almost directly for the show.

Lifejumper said:
And what is the average walktrough for Arkham Asylum? Man I hate it when devs overestimate the length of their game.
They always do. So people might as well take their statements with a fat grain of salt. Just like when devs swear up and down that the 360 and PS3 versions of their game will be "identical". It's almost never actually true.

Devs want to sell their game, so when asked about the game length I think they usually state how long it will take if you did every single thing in the game, and on the hardest difficulty level.

lucius

CrazyDude said:
Preorder AC and you get AA for free, plus 10 bucks.

So you can't goto Wallmart day of release and get it you have to preorder in advance?

Edit: Ok I see the info in the link

FHIZ

JazzmanZ said:
I'd like to point out that those goons kicking him around look a awful lot like the ones
Ra al ghul
carries around and not basic SWAT police.

Those are the Tyger force that Dr. Strange brought into the city. They're a explained a little in the comic book series about the title.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Not sure whether to get this for 360 or PS3. Is this going to be on two discs for the 360? Also, is there anything that happens if you have a save file on your system from the first when you play this?

Vire

cuyahoga said:
Not sure whether to get this for 360 or PS3. Is this going to be on two discs for the 360? Also, is there anything that happens if you have a save file on your system from the first when you play this?
360 version is one disc and no - nothing carries over.

Both versions seem fairly comparable.

GQman2121

Banned
cuyahoga said:
Yes! Your save carries over and all of those gadgets are unlocked from the start in AC. Brillant way to bring new players in and reward fans of the first game at the same time.

shwimpy

GQman2121 said:
Yes! Your save carries over and all of those gadgets are unlocked from the start in AC. Brillant way to bring new players in and reward fans of the first game at the same time.
wut? you serious? I'll have to change my preorder to ps3 then.

Vire

shwimpy said:
wut? you serious? I'll have to change my preorder to ps3 then.
This is incorrect...

Your gadgets only carry over into New Game+ after you beat the game.

Salsa

GQman2121 said:

No. You start the game with all of the Asylum gadgets cause its the continuation of that storyline. It has nothing to do with importing a save. Everyone gets them wether they played AA or not.

dragonflys545 said:
Holy crap at the $30 coupon and a free T-shirt from K-mart! Day freaking one!
My SWYR card came in the mail from K-mart a few weeks ago. How exactly does it get credited to your account?

GQman2121

Banned
SalsaShark said:
No. You start the game with all of the Asylum gadgets cause its the continuation of that storyline. It has nothing to do with importing a save. Everyone gets them wether they played AA or not.
I could have sworn I read that's only the case if you have a previous save already. I'm sure this would be a known feature though, so maybe I am mistaken.

lucius

That is interesting, great game design choice I thought I be spending time upgrading the same exact things from AA, this seems much better.

I am still gonna hold out for an Amazon deal if there isn't one by next Sunday I try to get the Wallmart deal.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Yeah, glad to have all the gadgets from the get go. While an interesting game mechanic, it does kind of goes against batman's MO of prep time.

Salsa

GQman2121 said:
I could have sworn I read that's only the case if you have a previous save already. I'm sure this would be a known feature though, so maybe I am mistaken.

nah, its most of the stuff (the crucial stuff) from the get-go, nothing regarding you having played the first game. I like games that import saves but it would be pretty silly to cripple new players like that considering those gadgets are crucial, think about it.

Lonestar said:
Yeah, glad to have all the gadgets from the get go. While an interesting game mechanic, it does kind of goes against batman's MO of prep time.
I hate games (especially sequels) that take away gadgets.

Rocksteady is boss for breaking this horrible cliche.

i'm borrowing arkham asylum from a friend right now and i'm so ashamed of myself for not picking this up sooner. the game really does make me feel like a superhero crime detective. walmart is probably the best deal for me considering i'll get both games, plus a $10 credit. i doubt amazon will be able to price match that.

Top Bottom