• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

New info from Consol.at review :

ConsolPLUS Arkham City Review Breakdown [92/100] - New Info

#1 Postby Luke » Oct 7th, 2011, 2:21 am
ConsolPLUS, the German version of Consol.at recently gave Batman: Arkham City a 92%. Within this review lies some pretty interesting details regarding gameplay elements, story info and boss battles. Our user MadAsAHatter85 has quickly snapped up the issue and broke down and translated the review's key points!

Review Positives.

- The story is larger, more thought-out and has far more twists and turns than Arkham Asylum.
- Catwoman's mission are short enough not to disturb the main story and is cleverly interwoven.
- Side missions are fun with great gameplay containing a great mix of action adventure and stealth-puzzle elements.
- Combat is more tactical especially since the thugs get more varied and dangerous through the playthrough.
- The "CSI" moments are a welcome change of pace in the game (like in AA), including scanning DNA, following blood trails and projectiles.
- what they loved most: Gadgets, how easy they are to control (second nature after a bit of practice) and how much freedom they convey from a gameplay perspective.
- Standing atop a roof in the moon light with a few snow flakes falling down is genius for every Batman fan.
- Awesome animations and you’ll see new moves even at the end of the game (testament to great freeflow system).
- Realistic look that never denies its comic-roots

Review Negatives.

- They found the plot too convoluted, saying there were too many characters, with many big ones only playing small roles and the boss fights being not exciting enough (hit a spot 3 times, use different tricks on a boss 3 times)
- The side missions interrupt the main story too much (example: while someone needs saving in the main plot and you’re constantly reminded through the radio signal when you are wanting to do a side mission, it feels inconsistent
- Big boss fights feel forced and not inspired, they say the journey towards the boss fight is more exciting than the fight itself.

New Game Info. (SPOILERS)

- Alfred, Robin and Catwoman make appearances/cameos. It seems they mean in the campaign
- Arkham City is supposedly not a sandbox like GTA or Saints Row. But like a main world with dungeons (like Zelda), though the dungeons here are buildings and underground tunnels.
- Concept art and challenges can be unlocked through Riddler's huge side mission and collectibles.
- Locations (some have to be revisited) include: a frozen museum (by Mr. Freeze) with dinosaur skeletons and a living hungry white shark, a fiery factory/mill and a underground city with a Steam-Punk Look.

Huge thanks to our user MadAsAHatter85 for providing and translating this awesome summary.

source: http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5942

Leonsito

I bought Batman: AA for the Xbox, but I don't know if I should buy AC for the Xbox too or upgrade my graphcis card and get the free AC for PC ...

How did AA plays with KB+Mouse ? How was the port?

Any PROS for the Xbox version ?

Fjordson

Leonsito said:
I bought Batman: AA for the Xbox, but I don't know if I should buy AC for the Xbox too or upgrade my graphcis card and get the free AC for PC ...

AA was really good on PC. You want the best visuals, grab the PC version. You want to play it on release day, get it on 360.

Game will play great on 360, so it's really a matter of how much playing it in October matters to you.

UrbanRats

Leonsito said:

I play it on PC with the 360 wired controller, tbh.

amdnv

Lifejumper said:
They won't be in New Game +

Also New Game + is a separate difficulty it will always be a step above hard.
And can you pick this right away? They're not seriously going to make me play through with those silly icons first?
I'm a complete Beat'em up (or whatever you call those) noob and thought that hard difficulty was absolutely perfect in Arkham Asylum. Challenging but not frustrating.

Leonsito said:
It played excellently. Mouse camera control = win.

W Hudson

The perfect Dark said:
GamesMaster (UK) 97%

Batman: Arkham City has received its first UK review. Gaming magazine GamesMaster have awarded the game with a very impressive 97% review score and claiming the game is a "must buy".

"'Brave, brutal, brilliant - the gold standard by which all future videogames should be judged'"
- GamesMaster

More coming soon...

source: http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5956

Just read the full review, and my hype has somehow gone up even higher, and it was already through the roof.

W Hudson

Personal highlight from the GamesMaster review:

Similarly, Stealth 2.0 dazzles; foes actively root the beleaguered Dark Knight out, fire-up thermal goggles to detect any Bats nestling in the rafters, detonate gargoyles with explosives, plant proximity mines to prevent any sneaky takedowns from behind...no fools, these fellas. Nevertheless, each environment also provides our hero with countless nifty ways to stalk and despatch his victims. Rocksteady have fairly riddled the various threat rooms with clever, XP-licious ways to down baddies - but they're never signposted and you will often miss them first time around. Our personal stealthy highlight? The Mr Freeze boss fight, when Rocksteady (for the only time, it must be said) actively forces you to use each and every gadget, combat technique and environmental ploy at you disposal to take down your powerful foe.

Vire

The perfect Dark said:
GamesMaster (UK) 97%

Batman: Arkham City has received its first UK review. Gaming magazine GamesMaster have awarded the game with a very impressive 97% review score and claiming the game is a "must buy".

"'Brave, brutal, brilliant - the gold standard by which all future videogames should be judged'"
- GamesMaster

More coming soon...

source: http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5956

Fantastic, will be adding to the OP!

PaulLFC

"Batman Arkham 2 Early Access" has been added to the Steam registry. Has there been any announcement about early access on PC?

Doomrider

W Hudson said:
Personal highlight from the GamesMaster review:

Similarly, Stealth 2.0 dazzles; foes actively root the beleaguered Dark Knight out, fire-up thermal goggles to detect any Bats nestling in the rafters, detonate gargoyles with explosives, plant proximity mines to prevent any sneaky takedowns from behind...no fools, these fellas. Nevertheless, each environment also provides our hero with countless nifty ways to stalk and despatch his victims. Rocksteady have fairly riddled the various threat rooms with clever, XP-licious ways to down baddies - but they're never signposted and you will often miss them first time around. Our personal stealthy highlight? The Mr Freeze boss fight, when Rocksteady (for the only time, it must be said) actively forces you to use each and every gadget, combat technique and environmental ploy at you disposal to take down your powerful foe.

And here's mine:

Actually, that's not quite how things start...but our lips have been physically sewn shut (ouch, it stung) by Rocksteady to avoid spoiling a zinger of an opening, an intro so cool, so surprising it even beats Arkham's Joker incarceration into a cocked hat.

and

A tip: it's always worth returning to 'completed' locations later in the adventure to enjoy a bonus cutscene or moreish slice of dialogue.

The wait just became a bit harder.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PaulLFC said:
"Batman Arkham 2 Early Access" has been added to the Steam registry. Has there been any announcement about early access on PC?

WAT?

Derrick01

Banned
PaulLFC said:

Early Access meaning not "as" delayed? :p

Oh well I'll take it.

PaulLFC

There was an entry for "ValveTestApp[numbers] Early Access" which I assumed to be DOTA 2 or something. But the Application ID says "Arkham 2 - Early Access" - so I can only assume it's related to Arkham City. Maybe a promo or competition or something?

Sober

PaulLFC said:
So much for the PC version being delayed? I assume this is the press version for PC reviews or something?

GQman2121

Banned
Kmart just announced their day one deal: $30 gaming gift card and an Arkham City t-shirt.

I think I'm going to switch to this deal. That means U3 for $30 two weeks later.

augmental

So we know the PC version is the best...have there been any comments about differences between the 360 and PS3 versions? Currently I have this preordered for PS3 and I have AA on PS3, thx.

GQman2121 said:
Kmart just announced their day one deal: $30 gaming gift card and an Arkham City t-shirt.

I think I'm going to switch to this deal. That means U3 for $30 two weeks later.

Oh damn, I thought I would wait for the GOTY edition, but I might as well go to Kmart just buy a $20 PSN card and still have $10 left over.

GQman2121 said:

Holy shit, incredible deal. Will probably go with this, assuming my local KMart gets more than two fucking copies in stock

CrazyDude

GQman2121 said:

Is there a link?

augmental

Darkness said:
My Kmart never got Madden 12 in and is still selling Madden 11 full price.

Will buy elsewhere.

That is because Madden 12 is complete garbage and Madden 11 is only slightly less

Cheska

GQman2121 said:

It's a shame Kmart isn't open 24 hours or offers a midnight release :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
PaulLFC said:
There was an entry for "ValveTestApp[numbers] Early Access" which I assumed to be DOTA 2 or something. But the Application ID says "Arkham 2 - Early Access" - so I can only assume it's related to Arkham City. Maybe a promo or competition or something?

Perhaps those with nvidia keys will unlock the game early?

JdFoX187

Banned
God, that $30 coupon is tempting. I have the PC version preordered, and I'm going to go ahead and sit on it. Though the thought has crossed my mind to double dip on the Xbox 360 version and then sell trade it in when the PC version comes out.

I really hope that Rock Steady and/or WB take a page from Rockstar and offer somesort of "Season Pass" that will include all the alternate Batman/Robin outfits as well as the Robin challenge mission DLC. And hopefully all that content is released on XBL/PSN/Steam, world wide, by the year's end

Cheska

augmental said:
Who is getting the PS3 Collector version?

I'm curious about this as well. I would love to get this, and I love Kotobuyika but Im not sure I can justify an additional $50 for a statue that will probably be of less quality than usual since its mass produced.

I did however order the collectors edition guide because of the Catwoman cover.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
GQman2121 said:

And buying Uncharted, I'm sure will also come with a 20$ coupon. Its a never ending cycle lol.

augmental

shagg_187 said:
If collectors Included all the preorder skins/challenges/characters and maybe a $10 coupon for future DLC, I'd bite for the price.

Yeah that would make the deal perfect, but I want that statue.

NoRéN

Anyone want to buy the 360 collector's edition off me. Obviously, I don't have it yet but you would have it on the 18th. PM if interested.

augmental

NoRéN said:
Anyone want to buy the 360 collector's edition off me. Obviously, I don't have it yet but you would have it on the 18th. PM if interested.

If you don't have it yet can't you just cancel your preorder? And why can't I preorder the collector version from Best Buy, just the regular? Weird.

Cheska

NoRéN said:

Why don't you just not buy it if you're going to sell it anyways?

2010-01-28-Versus.png

Epilogue:
2010-01-28.jpg

12 more days!

NoRéN said:
Did you pay it off already or are just going to let someone else pay it for you ?

cacophony

Can not wait. My most hyped game this year. I've been avoiding most videos so far, the only gameplay I've seen is that E3 GameTrailers one. I absolutely love all the particles in the sky, makes it feel so surreal.

NoRéN

Cheska said:
Why don't you just not buy it if you're going to sell it anyways?
I decided to just get regular version. Since I was able to lock in the Collector's edition from amazon for $60, I figured someone who may want it can instead give me the $60 and have it shipped to them. But, you're right. I guess i will just cancel.

Cheska

NoRéN said:
I decided to just get regular version. Since I was able to lock in the Collector's edition from amazon for $60, I figured someone who may want it can instead give me the $60 and have it shipped to them. But, you're right. I guess i will just cancel.

Oh wow, that's certainly a nice gesture then. How did you lock it in for such a low price? You lucky gamer you!

Top Bottom