• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Luthos

slick7rick said:
i'm borrowing arkham asylum from a friend right now and i'm so ashamed of myself for not picking this up sooner. the game really does make me feel like a superhero crime detective. walmart is probably the best deal for me considering i'll get both games, plus a $10 credit. i doubt amazon will be able to price match that.
Well Amazon is giving $10 credit, but you get a Batman: AC comic book instead of AA GOTY edition. So yea Walmart is still probably best for you if you don't have the first.

I already have AA, so I went with Amazon. Plus, and I didn't realize this until I tried, I apparently had a bunch of credit on Amazon already. So it ended up only being $43 or so, plus $10 of future credit. (which will no doubt go to Uncharted 3 or Skyrim)

since the bundle comes with the GOTY version (with the red case) i almost didn't want to buy it. the OCD in me hates greatest hits versions and red cases. but $30 for each of these masterpieces is too good of a deal to pass up. the $10 credit is a cherry on top that i'll use towards a blu ray movie. either pulp fiction or the lion king.

Jintor

Buckethead said:
Anyone know when reviews will be up and all that?

Mine goes to print tommorrow. Should be about a week before it turns up on shelves. I left the NDA in the office though :<

lucius

I went with the Amazon $10 deal, on their iPhone app the deal wasn't showing up had to goto the website. I like amazons get it on day if release for $1, I already have AA anyway.

Varth

Vire said:
Are you reviewing it right now? If so could you tell me when the embargo is up and a general thumbs up or thumbs down? :)

Reviewed a couple weeks ago. Issue's out this week, I think. Web embargo is on the day one IIRC.

I think the picture painted by the reviews that came out so far should be pretty much self explainatory. They all point out more or less to the same things.

Doomrider said:
One of the reviews mentioned 15 hours for the main story only (ignoring the optional content completely). AA was a 10-12 hour game, yeah.

I'm not worried about the length of the story, really. 13-15 hours is great, and there's still loads of stuff to do after/during that. I can totally see myself flying around the city aimlessly for hours (if it's as fun as it looks, which I'm sure it is). I want this game so bad ;_;

No, you're right. Lenght felt perfectly satisfactory on every level.

I don't think the 25 hours figure is THAT much unbelievable, either. I think if you play the game taking your time and running around after the odd secondary mission here and there, or stop to wonder how to get that riddler trophy, 25 is perfectly fine. For reviewing purposes (killer deadlines, as stated in the unfortunate OPM reviewer rant) we had to split the play experience in one story only run (with a few secondary missions here and there), and a game+ one to main the secondary stuff.

Varth said:
Reviewed a couple weeks ago. Issue's out this week, I think. Web embargo is on the day one IIRC.

I think the picture painted by the reviews that came out so far should be pretty much self explainatory. They all point out more or less to the same things.

I don't think the 25 hours figure is THAT much unbelievable, either. I think if you play the game taking your time and running around after the odd secondary mission here and there, or stop to wonder how to get that riddler trophy, 25 is perfectly fine. For reviewing purposes (killer deadlines, as stated in the unfortunate OPM reviewer rant) we had to split the play experience in one story only run (with a few secondary missions here and there), and a game+ one to main the secondary stuff.

Thanks for commenting. What difficulty did you play?

Fjordson

Luthos said:
I already have AA, so I went with Amazon. Plus, and I didn't realize this until I tried, I apparently had a bunch of credit on Amazon already. So it ended up only being $43 or so, plus $10 of future credit. (which will no doubt go to Uncharted 3 or Skyrim)
Haha, same here. Had $10 in credit I didn't know about so I'm getting this on release day for $50. Same thing happened when I ordered Skyrim (which I'm getting for $44 because the price was $54 without credit for some reason when I pre-ordered and Amazon locks that in for you).

<3 Amazon.

Doomrider

Jintor said:
Mine goes to print tommorrow. Should be about a week before it turns up on shelves. I left the NDA in the office though :<
Varth said:

You guys sound so dispassionate about it ;_; I would be really interested to hear a very small, personal comment from you, if at all possible...? No? Well, that's fine too. By the way, did any of you play the PS3 version?
Varth said:

It's great to have it confirmed and I'm impressed by the fact that the 25 hour figure isn't something completely made up.

I feel like talking about this game all day, every day, until it comes out. But there's not much to discuss now... What have you done to me, Rocksteady.

Jintor

Doomrider said:
You guys sound so dispassionate about it ;_; I would be really interested to hear a very small, personal comment from you, if at all possible...? No? Well, that's fine too. By the way, no tried the PS3 version yet?

360 on a debug console. No crashes, fast load times, all that stuff.

Don't want to make any personal comments until the NDA is up or it gets released. Just factual statements right now. I'll back Varth up on length, though I played through story on Hard.

highrider

Banned
does anyone know if the collectors edition come with a steelbook or another cardboard case like the first? i can't tell from the pictures.

Doomrider

Jintor said:

Don't want to make any personal comments until the NDA is up or it gets released. Just factual statements right now. I'll back Varth up on length, though I played through story on Hard.

Understandable, thanks!

I shouldn't be worried about the PS3 version, considering that AA turned out to be basically the same on both consoles but... Well, we'll see.

Pezking

pickle said:
does anyone know if the collectors edition come with a steelbook or another cardboard case like the first? i can't tell from the pictures.

The game disc is in the artbook:

Ulf0F.png

Horrible decision. Will pick up the Catwoman-Steelbook instead.

JohngPR

Jintor said:

Would you say that the difficulty on hard is on par with Arkham Asylum or is it harder?

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's very important for the future of comic book to video game adaptations, that Arkham City sells big.

Batman really has to save the day.

eshwaaz

MacBosse said:
I would like to know this too since AA was perfect on hard.
For my tastes, normal was perfect, so let's hope every setting is similarly balanced this time!

I can't believe we'll be playing this in just over a week.

LQX

WrikaWrek said:
It's very important for the future of comic book to video game adaptations, that Arkham City sells big.

Who said this? Spiderman and Marvel Ultimate Alliance has always done well.

LQX said:
Who said this? Spiderman and Marvel Ultimate Alliance has always done well.
It's probably more like Arkham City needs to be very profitable (which I'm sure it will be) so other devs realize that it does pay off to not do shitty half-assed jobs with superhero games

One thing I haven't heard anything on... are the bonus Batman outfits playable in campaign too? I'm gonna be so pissed if it's restricted to challenge maps only

Mr. Paer said:
It's probably more like Arkham City needs to be very profitable (which I'm sure it will be) so other devs realize that it does pay off to not do shitty half-assed jobs with superhero games

One thing I haven't heard anything on... are the bonus Batman outfits playable in campaign too? I'm gonna be so pissed if it's restricted to challenge maps only

Playable in campaign too. I wonder if they will show up in cutscenes.

vg260

Mr. Paer said:

Yeah. I hope Edge of Times bombs (as it should) and this does amazing numbers to drive this point home.

LQX

Mr. Paer said:

Cant say I agree with that at all. I own a bunch of superhero games and Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Origins: Wolverine(probably one of the most brutal games this gen) and Incredible Hulk are great games. All for from shitty half assed jobs. If anything though I give Batman credit for at least not making people outright dismiss superhero games before playing them.

Pezking said:

That's pretty shitty yeah. I've been hopping between the steelbook and the low-priced special edition (on Amazon) for a while now, in the end I chose the steelbook. Saves me some money on the rest of the holy quintet ofgames I've ordered for November (Uncharted/CoD:MW3/Zelda SS/Skyrim/AC Revelations Animus Edition (which in itself is already 100 bucks)). Bleeding money like a boss.

I have enough plastic shit as it is now and because the Super Special Edition of Batman doesn't have ALL the DLC (something the AC-super special editions do have, which is a plus) I don't really care.

Too bad because if ALL the DLC was in this edition it was an insta-buy. Now I probably won't bother with most of it because most of the DLC will probably not be released on day 1 but when I'm already finished with the game.

Bazhard

Banned
Pezking said:

Ulf0F.png

Terrible choice(putting it in the art book), but i will just print off the cover and put it in an extra ps3 case.

Wonder how this will effect the 360 dvd version, because i know first manufacturing dvds in cardboard sleeves is a terrible fucking choice that can ruin disc, i know because i had to go through 3 sets of the complete shield set and 2 wire complete series sets because of ruined/unplayable disc and some that would continue to skip.

Vire

LQX said:
Cant say I agree with that at all. I own a bunch of superhero games and Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Origins: Wolverine(probably one of the most brutal games this gen) and Incredible Hulk are great games. All for from shitty half assed jobs. If anything though I give Batman credit for at least not making people outright dismiss superhero games before playing them.
While it's not fair to say that all other super hero games besides Batman AA are terrible - recent games haven't exactly given others a sterling reputation.

Spiderman - Edge of Time

Captain America - The First Avenger

X-Men Destiny

All came out within the past few months and all are below average games.

Lifejumper said:
Playable in campaign too. I wonder if they will show up in cutscenes.
Fucking excellent :D

LQX said:
Yeah, you're right. Implying that all superhero games are "shitty half-assed jobs" was definitely an overgeneralization. However, NONE of the games you listed are still anywhere near the level of quality found in Arkham Asylum (and I'm assuming Arkham City too). I've played all of the games you listed, and they all do some things really well. Shattered Dimensions has a lot of gameplay variety and captures the sense of each universe really well, X-Men Origins has very satisfying combat, Hulk is a blast to roam the city and destroy shit in. But still, they all have a lot of flaws too that keep them from being games I would want to go back and replay. I could certainly list these shortcomings, but I feel like this is a point most people would agree on (thus the fact that Arkham Asylum is considered to be the greatest superhero game ever across the board, and none of the other games you mentioned would ever be considered as serious contenders now for that title with the Arkham series in play)

Who knows why these other games can't measure up in every category the way Arkham can. Perhaps it's rushed development cycles, or weaknesses in the dev team, or lack of budget and resources. Whatever the cause though, I'm really hoping that if Arkham City makes up for its development costs dozens of times over that other superhero games will be made with ALL facets of game design up to par.

Personally, I hope it's a lot harder this time. Started out on Hard for B:AA and it still felt like the training wheels were on for most of the game except a few boss fights.

Vire

Shake Appeal said:
Personally, I hope it's a lot harder this time. Started out on Hard for B:AA and it still felt like the training wheels were on for most of the game except a few boss fights.
I felt like that the difficulty came in the form of the challenge rooms.

Getting 3 Batarangs in "Rumble in the Jungle Extreme" was pretty tough...

Luthos

So apparently there isn't a normal or hard completion trophy. Just the NG+?

Makes me wonder if I should do my first playthrough on Normal or Hard.

Ragus

Banned
Luthos said:
So apparently there isn't a normal or hard completion trophy. Just the NG+?

Makes me wonder if I should do my first playthrough on Normal or Hard.

You'll play as goddamn Batman. Hard was the only option for Arkham Asylum and will be the only one for Arkham City.

And it comes fron a gamer, who usually plays on easy.

Mikeside

OK, it's officially the last day of the competition

You have just under 18 hours to PM your poems for consideration

WINNER GETS A FREE STEAM COPY OF ARKHAM CITY!

I can't believe there aren't more people entering... c'mon - even the stupidest poem may win!

Vire

Here's Mr. Sam's poem:

Pretty great entry!

Mr. Sam said:
The Goddamn Butler

I'm the goddamn Butler - Alfred is my name,
Please do take a seat,
I'll tell you about my dubious claim to fame.

As a boy, young Bruce's parents were taken from him,
Gentleman by name o' Joe Chill,
With a gat in an alley, made an orphan of him.

I smile, I bow, I'm polite,
Master Bruce wears a cape,
Fights crime by night.

While The Joker swallows his own blood,
I'm doing the laundry,
Getting rid of stains of grass and mud.

While Two-Face feels justice's heavy fist,
I drive around town,
Checking off Master Bruce's shopping list.

While Penguin is made to eat crow,
I rid Wayne Manor of dust,
On shelves high and low.

Master Bruce cloaks himself in the night,
I wear a cloak at night.

Master Bruce caves villains' faces in,
I deal with this troublesome wash basin.

Master Bruce climbs on rooves,
I play DDR, showing off my moves.

I'm no mere butler,
No mere servant of the Knight,
I'm kickin' it old school,
My rhymes are relentlessly tight.

I'm no humble slave,
I'm the real protector of truth,
The true master of the Bat Cave.

Master Bruce isn't the only Caped Crusader,
I'm a dab hand at Infinity Blade,
And viciously good at Space Invaders.

This game runs on Unreal Engine 3,
I've a stack of glistening muscles,
All thanks to Cliff Bleszinski.

I make love like Jazz Jackrabbit,
I fight like Marcus Fenix,
I'll even tell you a joke or two about my twelve inch pianist.

And please, I have no trouble with women,
Though I'll admit it was my time in the navy,
When I saw my fair share of seamen.

Batman may be flirtatious with Selina Kyle,
But it's to me she comes,
When she wants to laugh and to smile.

Yes, you may mock because my accent is very thick,
But I'll tell you to fetch your coat,
And to choke on my Master Dick.

"choke on my master dick" lool

that's it, I'm gonna work on a rap and submit it just for the fun of it. Already got a steam copy but if I win (uuuuh lol) I want prize donated to a starving gaffer in need

Captain N

Vire said:
While it's not fair to say that all other super hero games besides Batman AA are terrible - recent games haven't exactly given others a sterling reputation.

Spiderman - Edge of Time

X-Men Destiny

I'd say the best super hero game up to October 18th is InFamous 2

Bazhard

Banned
Vire said:

Spiderman - Edge of Time

X-Men Destiny

Edge of Time wasn't that bad and you're forgetting Infamous 2, may not be a direct marvel comic adaptation but it's fantastic.

There are plenty of great comic games, it's just people like to harp on the shitty ones yet nobody does that with the FPS genre, every year boat loads of shitty FPS games out and everyone ignores those and just praises the greats, but with super hero games? it's the opposite, instead of saying how good X, X and X is they harp on the shitty movie tie in games.

Yeah, I think Infamous 2 is probably one of the best i've played since Spiderman 2 and AA. More people need to play this game, especially if your a fan of the genre.

WrikaWrek said:

Arkham City will sell big. You know it, I know it, the American people know it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Pezking said:

Ulf0F.png

All that looks like junk to me. After buying so many special editions I'm quite tired of the junk that comes with it which is why i am buying the regular edition. Why can't the special edition just be an artbook, soundtrack and steelbook case.

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Yeah, I think Infamous 2 is probably one of the best i've played since Spiderman 2 and AA. More people need to play this game, especially if your a fan of the genre.

I agree. The special edition for inFamous 2 wasnt worth buying but the game is awesome.

Jintor

JohngPR said:
Would you say that the difficulty on hard is on par with Arkham Asylum or is it harder?

MacBosse said:
I would like to know this too since AA was perfect on hard.

Hmmmm... I'd say it's about the same, though obviously with the giant flashing indicators even on hard mode it's less about reaction time outside of NG+. Still, given the different types of goon management you have to worry about and the amount of damage enemies on hard do, I'd say it's a perfect balance between frustration and sweet, sweet victory.

BTW NG+ apparently varies up goon placement and introduces other elements earlier in the game. I didn't get too far in it so I can't verify, but that's what it said on the intro screen.

iavi

From Windswept Spires

Gotham, it’s my home and my hell all the same,
With the shame only getting worse the higher I get;
Eyeing liars who forever forget,
That even the worst of their desires are met,
With eyes before they even happen to realize they desire them:

Mine, with the mind of a criminal.
A little something subliminal, it’s not.
I've come to tell myself that it’s justice, not catharsis,
But those whispers have gotten quieter,
And my hits have gotten harder.

The scum have gotten smarter,
But even still;
“It’s the goddamn Batman,”
Is all they’ll ever mutter before they make for rest.

-----
The PMs are sent too.

Top Bottom