• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

U2NUMB

I am such a strange dude.. I am about 10% though AA but yet I have this pre ordered. Gotta finish up AA before this is out. Love what I have played of it so far.

I was thinking about getting the soundtrack, but I just don't think I can drop a hundred bucks on it.

Probably will just download the soundtrack, that's really the only bonus item I really want. Soundtrack ought to be great. 'Total Paranoia', 'The Years', and the main theme are great tracks. I wonder how the licensed music will play in the game, just on the radios I suppose.

Gravijah said:
should i play the first one or just skip to this

The series has its own continuity and universe that is independent from the comics/movies/etc, and so far it has done a great job of building its own version of the Batman mythos. You'll enjoy the story and characters more if you start with the first one, which is connected plot-wise.

I can't wait for this game to come out! I've had it preordered ever since Amazon messed up the price of the collector's edition. $60 for the collectors is awesome. Nice OT btw.

Bullza2o

I'm here joining the bandwagon. I was aware of this game, but I did not realize its awesomeness until my friend showed me trailers of it a couple of days ago. Now I am about to preorder and I really can't wait for this game!!

Cheska

Gravijah said:

The game can be beaten in about 10 hours. I would highly recommend playing it, especially if you have any interested in Arkham City at all.

magnificent83 said:
Does anyone know if there will be any connection with Arkham City via having AC saves on your system?
I haven't heard of anything like that. I can't think of anything that would be worthwhile to transfer. It would be cool to get a costume or something for those of us who have beat AA on hard, got a gold in all challenges, or something along those lines.

Gravijah said:
Depends on how you look at it. Batman AA is an awesome game which had some flaws but in the grand scheme of things are pretty fixable and aren't that big. I don't think there is anything really storywise that you should check out the prequel either. It depends on how Batman AC turns out. If it completely outshines every aspect in AA then I wouldn't see much point but if it ends up being a lackluster sequel then I would say go with AA. I suspect AC will be viewed as a great game that greatly expanded on the AA formula but also lost some of the original's charm/feel to it like the adventure/metroid-y feel.

Luthos

Tom Penny said:
This, UC3 then Skyrim. The greatest trifecta of gaming this generation.
This right here. My top 3 most anticipated games of the year, all within the span of a month.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
rvy said:
Op needs to be tagged accordingly. That post is awesome.

Care to explain why? I mean did i miss something? which post is so awesome?

The thread title is from The Xtortionist.

or do you mean the thread itself? if so there are plenty of other great threads, for example the Mortal Kombat OT by fernoca.

Don't get me wrong, Vire and Ephermeris did an amazing job, i just wanna know what's so tag worthy?

LOCK

Man seeing this thread makes me scared and excited at the same time.

Excited for Batman, scared about the release season boom.

wwlqI.jpg

exarkun

will this game freeze up my PS3 like asylum did? Gotdamn, I really hope not cause I am so hyped for this. I had to take my other game, play it on a friend's PS3, and then trade it in cause I couldn't play it on my own setup. Shame

Consol.at - Review (Austria)

cAT89_53_KORR.png

In short:

Graphics: Better than AA (more details, better animations)
Sound: Everything (music, synch) is very good, like AA I guess
Controls: Great
Lasting Appeal: New Game +, DLC, Challenges, Main Story = great

+ length
+ again the best Batman game
+ cool new features

- boss fights

92% (Best Choice Award)

froliq

U2NUMB said:
I am such a strange dude.. I am about 10% though AA but yet I have this pre ordered. Gotta finish up AA before this is out. Love what I have played of it so far.
Same here. I haven't even started Arkham Asylum and already bought a steam code for Arkham City. I was shocked when I saw this thread. Thought it was going to release next week, but luckily it's still 2 weeks away. So 2 weeks to finish AA!

overcast

Not good news about the boss fights. Will wait for more reviews to cover that. Of course I'm getting this either way.

my friend ordered a GTX from Amazon a few days ago and he isn't into those kind of games.. he gave me the copy! looks like i have a free PC Steam version =D

Cheska said:
I wonder what counted them as a con. Maybe just underwhelming?

I guess it depends on the expectations, some just dont like bosses, I think if I remember well that in Arkham Asylum, those were counted as a con as well even though I totally dug those.

Kyoufu

I've been on a media blackout since the teaser trailer and I don't want to go through the OP and spoil everything, so can someone confirm that this game is a massive open world gotham city simulator? Or is it going to be linear? Can I glide anywhere I wish?

Doomrider

There are
-4-
boss fights according to some review, and Rocksteady seem confident they're greatly improved, so we know they're at least better than the ones in AA (... that's not really saying much, though, is it).

Kyoufu said:
I've been on a media blackout since the teaser trailer and I don't want to go through the OP and spoil everything, so can someone confirm that this game is a massive open world gotham city simulator? Or is it going to be linear? Can I glide anywhere I wish?

It's kind of... a more focused (?) open world game. A smaller space than what you're used to in most open world games, but with lots of detail and a significant amount of stuff to do wherever you go. It'll be linear as you want it to be; and yes, you can fly wherever you wish right from the beginning of the game.

DatBreh

Banned
You cant take anything away from that boss fight negative unless you also know how they felt about the boss fights in the original.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? I would like to get this on the 360 but not if the PS3 version is somehow better again.

I cannot wait for this. I'm going through Arkham Asylum again to prepare, for what must be the tenth time now. I Platinum'd that game and got 1000/1000 on the PC version and I can never get enough, and now there's another one and it looks even more amazing in every way.

"- bossfights" is pretty much the only complaint I had about the first game, so I wonder what exactly is so minus about them in Arkham City. I actually enjoyed what they did with the bossfights in Asylum; the problem was that you were always fighting the same guys but the way they changed it up by making you fight two or giving you hordes of regular dudes to accompany them made it less repetitive. From what I've seen of Arkham City the bossfights certainly look more diverse than the first game.

JazzmanZ

The only Boss fights I enjoyed in Arkham asylum were Banes and the Scarecrows, and his weren't exactly fights against him.

Az

Sn4ke_911 said:
Care to explain why? I mean did i miss something? which post is so awesome?

The thread title is from The Xtortionist.

or do you mean the thread itself? if so there are plenty of other great threads, for example the Mortal Kombat OT by fernoca.

Don't get me wrong, Vire and Ephermeris did an amazing job, i just wanna know what's so tag worthy?

OT's, serious business.

magnificent83 said:
Does anyone know if there will be any connection with Arkham City via having AC saves on your system?

Hope not... I played AA on xbox and I have the preorder for AC for ps3...

choiceguidek4l6r.png

Only read through this if you wish to know what each of the choices may have meant and what consequences they had in The Witcher 2. This is here to help new players make the most informed choices during the opening sequence of the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

I have provided a save file that has my choices and have shared it via Dropbox. Find it here
In this save file
all of the character's from the Witcher 2 are still alive. Aryan La Valette was saved, Loredo was still alive at the end, Iorveth's Path, Prince Stennis was still alive, Saskia was saved, Sile De Tancarville is alive and Lethod is still alive.
This save file gives the highest likelihood of having an impact on the game in the Witcher 3, however there is really no way to know at this point so I'm only guessing. I also think it's the path that Geralt would have taken had it been the book Geralt making the choices, but that's certainly a matter of perspective because many people consider the Roche path the more 'neutral' one but I believe that Geralt learned his "I must be always neutral" lesson during the books and thus has changed his ways a little since the very beginning of the story. But that's just me. The save file is a Dark Mode finish with all side quests completed, including all Dark Mode Armour sets.

I don't know this for certain and will update it after the launch of the game but I believe the questions at the start of the Witcher 3 will be something like this:

Spoilered for those who don't want to know and haven't played the Witcher 2 yet. If you would like help and information to help you make the best decision for the type of character you would like to play then I suggest you read through the choices and consequences tree on the Wiki. It is very comprehensive if you need something to base your choices upon. Find it HERE.
Prologue: Did Aryan La Valette survive?
Act 1: Did you go after Loredo or save the elven women from the burning tower.
Act 1: Did you follow Roche or Iorveth?
Act 2: Roche Path - Kill King Henselt or save him?
Act 3: Roche Path - Save Anaïs, or save Triss?
Act 2: Iorveth Path - Kill Prince Stennis or save him?
Act 3: Iorveth Path - Help Phillippa so you can lift the curse from Saskia or save Triss?
Final: Duel and kill Letho or let him leave alive?

1cgr0h.png
25poof.png
3thoxo.png
4ekr01.png
5jqrrd.png
61lru1.png
7tuqw9.png
8ghp1n.png
903qht.png
1073qe1.png
11vip6x.png
122kqkp.png
60szqg4.png
14aerrv.png
51k8r3a.png
167bqih.png
17lqoyj.png
18juoxs.png
19ejqso.png
203posg.png
21sepj5.png
22f0pvs.png
23ulpk3.png
24xwoe4.png
25xqq26.png
2627rak.png
27e8p91.png
28m3qox.png
293irk4.png
30k6rdg.png
31wfo0p.png
32mirwz.png
338lqng.png
34qbr2h.png
35m2qla.png
365irup.png
370ur89.png
38eyq4j.png
39vaq5d.png
402foe4.png
4143oxd.png
42i7oy7.png
43q6p7h.png
447crm8.png
45warw6.png
46z5rdp.png
47rwo6r.png
480wosl.png
49alr6l.png
5008rbq.png
15odui0.png
52ger1w.png
53ttqeo.png
5481r47.png
55wwo88.png
56icqg0.png
57liq6x.png
58lur6y.png
59kiu3e.png
132fugo.png

sysreqkmzpg.png

manualspacer9yurl.png

reviewsfib8b.png

The Witcher 3 Review Thread can be found HERE. Needless to say the reception so far has been incredible, many consider the game one of the best of all time. I'll ad Metacritic when it's available.

faqsmdpoj.png

Q. Does anyone deserve any specific credit for this awesome OT?
A. Definitely. Thanks to Coreda who has an especially keen designers eye, has been a great help with various advice and for making the gifs a more manageable size. NuclearGen for the gifs in the first place. EvilLore for grudgingly giving me permission to go to a two post thread and everyone on GAF who answered the various questions I've had over the couple of weeks I've been working on it.

Q. When will the game launch?
A. The game is due to be released simultaneously world-wide on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on May 19, 2015. Below are the exact time's in each time zone the game will be released.
- May 19th, 12 AM UTC
- May 19th, 12 AM GMT
- May 19th, 1 AM CET (France, Germany, England Spain etc.)
- May 19th, 9 AM AEST (Melbourne, Australian East Coast etc.)
- May 18th, 8 PM EST (New York, US Eastern Seaboard etc.)
- May 18th, 5 PM PDT (Los Angeles, US Western Seaboard etc.)
- May 18th, 8 PM EDT (New York, US Eastern Seaboard etc.)

Q. Will it be possible to change the language in the game?
A. No matter where you buy the game, it will allow you to freely change the language and subtitles independently. Depending on the region, the number of available languages may be different.

Q. Will the PC retail edition contain Steam or GOG key?
A. The information has not been officially confirmed yet, but it will probably contain a GOG key as with the Witcher 2.

Q. Was Andrzej Sapkowski, the author of The Witcher novels, involved in creating the game’s story, and if so, to what extent?
A. Nope, Andrzej Sapkowski wasn't involved at all and states that the games are not directly connected to the book canon.

Q. Will it be possible to continue playing once the main story missions are completed in order to finish side quests and other additional activities?
A. Yes, once the end credits roll you can continue playing with the equipment, skills, etc. you had by the end of the game.

Q. Are there QTE sequences in the game?
A. Nope not this time, hallelujah!

Q. Do head shots with a crossbow deal more damage?
A. Yes. Head shots have a significantly increased chance of a critical hit, which deals much more damage.

Q. Can items wear out?
A. Yes. Geralt’s crafting knowledge is limited to alchemy, so items can only be repaired by craftsmen.

Q. Does eating replenish health?
A. Yes, just as drinking alcohol and other drinks does.

Q. Is there automatic health regeneration in the game?
A. Not specifically. There are, however, abilities in the character development tree that impact speed of health recovery on eating. Also, meditation replenishes health. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a skill that unlocked regen either.

Q. Does delaying main missions have any consequences?
A. No, but ignoring certain side quests may have consequences - they could be good or bad so sometimes the better thing to do is to leave something alone, but if you're like me and I'm sure many of you are

Q. Are important places and locations marked on the world map?
A. Yes, places worth visiting and undiscovered points of interest are marked with a question mark.

Q. Are there health bars displayed over monsters?
A. Yes. You will also see information on the opponent’s level and the type of sword you should use against them (silver or steel).

Q. Can you turn off these indicators? Will all of them be present on higher difficulty levels?
A. Each element of HUD can be turned off individually. So the answer is yes, you can turn off opponents’ health bars and level information.

Q. Is it possible to turn off map indicators pointing toward special monsters, places of interest, etc.?
A. Yes, it is possible. The HUD is highly customizable. You can turn off individual elements displayed on the minimap, as well as the minimap itself as well as adjust everything else that is part of the HUD.

Q. What will be the screen resolution and frames per second (FPS) on the console versions of The Witcher 3?
A. PlayStation 4 – 1080p, 30 FPS. Xbox One – 900p, 30 FPS.

Q. Is the PC version of The Witcher 3 running on highest graphics settings optimized for four or eight threads?
A. RED engine is a multi-threaded game engine so it scales on the basis of the available configuration.

Q. Will the game support modding?
A. Yes, but not at launch. CDPR promised to release REDkit editor faster than they did for The Witcher 2: Assassin’s of Kings which was almost a year after its release.

Q. Why did you put a star in the "Whoreson" in the title, it totally ruins the verse.
A. Because I am not sure it's acceptable to have a swear word in a thread title. If it is, a mod can readily change it or I can if I'm told it's okay.

Q. Why two posts couldn't you fit this all in one?
A. I did my best! I cut out a lot of screenshots and tried to reduce the amount of text yet I couldn't keep it to one. The first post is absolutely full in the fullest sense of the definition. It is right up to the 24000 character count.

updatesm7xa6.png

Day 1 Patch Details said:
Major changes:
Support for DLCs
Multiple stability issues fixed
Overall performance improvements

Quests and game:
Variety of cosmetic quest improvements
Journal objective fixes
Quest mapping fixes
Dialogue flag fixes
Quest balancing issues
Scene triggering improvements

Gameplay systems:
Boat behavior
AI improvements
NPC spawn strategy improvements
Combat balancing
UI optimizations

linksh6s7b.png

The Witcher Wiki
Official Witcher Website
Review Thread
Spoiler Thread
Downgrade Thread

I'm expecting the possibility of adding more links here as well, a performance thread is a sure thing and a gwent thread is a maybe. Stay tuned.

let-the-hunt-beginzdsam.jpg

enderlhugy.png

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am torn between getting the Collector's Edition for PS3 or waiting for the GFWL PC version. I finished AA on PS3, but I recall reading on GAF that the PC version is supposedly much better this time for PC. What is the latest info on the PC version? Anyone know? Specifically, are they removing GFWL?

Rocksteady said the PC version would be the best one, but then they went and delayed it a few weeks. As far as I know it's got dat PhysX and obviously the usual PC stuff of more resolutions and FPSes. I don't think there's any extra content, and I'm reasonably sure it still uses GFWL.

I'm getting the PS3 version with the knowledge that I'll probably buy the PC version for five dollars on Steam next year some time.

Top Bottom