• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio animator Robert Morrison responds to The Last of Us 1 Remake regarding 'Cash Grab'

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2D

Banned
They probably know $70 is a stretch, but they don't want to de-value their game's perceived worth. There are definetly more than a few that will buy the game at top dollar, and more still that will buy it once it comes for sale.

It's mostly optics.

Yes of course, but the people crying it's a cash grab aren't taking that into consideration. Imagine the outrage if this didn't come to PS.

It's $70 because all of their new games are $70.

Real question is how well will it do on PC at $70? We will see (along with MW2). Hopefully they fail, but I have my doubts.

You mean if it didn't come to PC. Remember PS is Sony's primary platform while PC is secondary to them.

Last edited:
See my other reply. Fully understood and still fully overpriced.

That's fine. Prices go down so it will eventually land at a price point that will suit your budget. This isn't Nintendo that maintains their games at full price years after launch. Heck it's why I still haven't bought Mario Odyssey for example.

kuncol02

Banned
No1 in the “media” gave a shit when Modern Warfare got remade…. It seems only Playstation remakes are cash grabs…
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered was "free" addon to special edition of Infinite Warfare. Modern Warfare from 2019 is not remake but reboot.

It’s simple. Gamers are just cheap.

$70 for 20+ hours of entertainment is NOT a lot of money. You already pay $20 to rent shitty movies on some obscure streaming service. Do the math. Gamepass has just made every gamer cheap and entitled.
This is correct. Games are amazing value. Frankly, games would probably be good value at $100 too depending on the game anyway. Pre-COVID cinema prices were insane and I don't remember nerds on the internet bitching about it.
Why are they charging $70 for it? Because they worked hard on it and unlike other trash ass developers, when ND works hard, it shows in the product.
This is incorrect. They charge $70 because they believe that's what people are willing to pay. Companies will (and should) charge what the market will bear, not what some virgin neckbeard on Reddit or NeoGAF would rather pay. Games also don't drop in price because they're old, they drop in price because the demand decreases over time for the launch price. If demand stayed up at the launch price, companies likely won't lower it.

EDMIX

It's a remake of a remake that's not needed

1. This is a remake, the PS4 version was a remaster, not a remake.
2. "Needed" is silly, no one "needs" games sir, all of this here is based on choice, opinion, free will etc If you thought games where being made based on some technical need, I don't know what to tell you. They are not running a charity.

Anyone who's bought TLOU2 should get a discount

Why? Thats like saying anyone who buys the first game should get a discount, or who buys the sequel or 3rd game or remake or remaster etc should get a discount. It makes no sense and I've never even see some standard in gaming that ever entertained any of that lol

I'm intrested in it,but for 20-25

ok....then you can just wait to buy it used when its that price. That makes much more sense to pretending The Last Of Us 1 on PS4 is a remake or if something is "needed" or not or to get a discount based on if you bought the past games or some shit.

We've already played the game twice.

No, you played the ORIGINAL twice. You never played the remake, thats like me saying I played Resident Evil 1 many times so why should I pay for RE2002 remake (clearly not the same fucking game but ok) lol

You played a game called The Last Of Us, that doesn't mean 1.1 verbatim you played what that remake actually is sir.

. It's a shame really because Naughty Dog has so many older titles like the original Uncharted or even Jak & Dexter that deserve the graphical overhaul more than TLoU.

This was confirmed to be a remake and I doubt this was up to Naughty Dog, its likely up to Sony, as in the remake was coming regardless of what ND thought, the IP is owned by Sony, the studio is owned by Sony, no different then Demon Souls remake, From Soft could say no, we want this or that, none of that shit would matter as Sony owns the IP, will get Bluepoint to do a remake etc.

Those are all great games btw, none of them moved some crazy shit like 20 plus million units and broke records for awards. I'm sure those games will get remade over time as Sony seems to want to have a nice mix of new IP, sequels, remakes etc, so I'm sure we'll see remake of Uncharted 1 by Bluepoint, Jak and Daxter remake by ND or some other team like we saw Ratchet remade and so on, but in terms of the PS3 titles, Uncharted 1 and The Last Of Us 1 are still BOTH PS3 titles....one being older then the other is irrelevant, they are both made using the same hardware and making some PS3 remake would make sense for both regardless of which came first.

Using the shit logic I've heard so far in this thread, you might as well even argue Uncharted 1 doesn't "need" a remake make ,I mean it got a remasters on PS4, so a remake of a remake doe? for whyz? /s

So I get 100% why Sony would remake The Last Of Us 1, that game moved so many units, folks would need their fucking heads examined if they really had to question WHY the game that moved 20 plus million units and won 200 plus GOTY awards got remade before the show aired on HBO, holy fucking shit , are some of you really, really asking this? I would think its odd if we didn't get The Last Of Us 1 remake during the PS5 generation, yet we got SoTc last gen? Demon Souls this gen? It would be more puzzling that they didn't remake the game moving the most units, so I think many need to factor real business and actual logic with this vs some fanboy gatekeeping shit or something as I don't buy this is some rational thinking regarding this.

I mean, why would Sony want to move more units of their best seller? Why would they want MORE people playing the series? Make money? Why would Sony want that? lol So I'm pretty certain we'll see a Uncharted remake, I don't see any of theres as either ors, I think Sony wants lots of their classics remade, but for The Last Of Us 1, it makes 100% complete sense why now would be the time coming up to its 10 year anniversary next year in time for that HBO show.

No one here has even made any real creditable argument on how it would ever benefit Sony or even ND as a team as I'm sure the staff doing this can't even work on those other projects yet as they are likely in different phases.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think you will find the frequency of the release is more of the issue, not the craftmanship or the work.

But we are talking about tech environment where yesterday innovations quickly become outdated.

This is a PS3 to PS5 remake. Folks can always wait I guess but the argument that a 9yr old game shouldn't be remade is nonsensical.

Of course this guy is going to defend a project he's working on. Why would you expect otherwise?
He and other developers working on the remake are going well beyond defending. They are claiming these takes downplaying the value or ambitions of the remake will be proven wrong on release day. Devs for the GTA Trilogy Remake wouldn't dare.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
No1 in the “media” gave a shit when Modern Warfare got remade…. It seems only Playstation remakes are cash grabs…
MW19 is a completely different game.
If TLOU1 is a full remake ill bite.....but they already said they are using the same data from the old game.....so not the same situation.

P.S Imma cop this on PC because it should be an awesome benchmark title.
P.P.S For people who can play the remaster and dont want to spend on this......dont.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I doubt that Sony will abandon consoles. Sure they will release games on PC but PlayStation will still be a high priority for them while PC is secondary.
Abandon, probably not. But they will be equals soon.

"SIE is not fixated on the PlayStation, either. We share the same view of the future."

Abandon, probably not. But they will be equals soon.

"SIE is not fixated on the PlayStation, either. We share the same view of the future."

Well they won't hurt the console versions in favor of the PC one. It's not like they will delay the console version and focus on the PC one so it comes out on time. If anything it's PC that will get the games later on not their consoles.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Well they won't hurt the console versions in favor of the PC one. It's not like they will delay the console version and focus on the PC one so it comes out on time. If anything it's PC that will get the games later on not their consoles.
Yeah they're still working up to day and date.

Hestar69

1. This is a remake, the PS4 version was a remaster, not a remake.
2. "Needed" is silly, no one "needs" games sir, all of this here is based on choice, opinion, free will etc If you thought games where being made based on some technical need, I don't know what to tell you. They are not running a charity.

Why? Thats like saying anyone who buys the first game should get a discount, or who buys the sequel or 3rd game or remake or remaster etc should get a discount. It makes no sense and I've never even see some standard in gaming that ever entertained any of that lol

ok....then you can just wait to buy it used when its that price. That makes much more sense to pretending The Last Of Us 1 on PS4 is a remake or if something is "needed" or not or to get a discount based on if you bought the past games or some shit.

No, you played the ORIGINAL twice. You never played the remake, thats like me saying I played Resident Evil 1 many times so why should I pay for RE2002 remake (clearly not the same fucking game but ok) lol

You played a game called The Last Of Us, that doesn't mean 1.1 verbatim you played what that remake actually is sir.

This was confirmed to be a remake and I doubt this was up to Naughty Dog, its likely up to Sony, as in the remake was coming regardless of what ND thought, the IP is owned by Sony, the studio is owned by Sony, no different then Demon Souls remake, From Soft could say no, we want this or that, none of that shit would matter as Sony owns the IP, will get Bluepoint to do a remake etc.

Those are all great games btw, none of them moved some crazy shit like 20 plus million units and broke records for awards. I'm sure those games will get remade over time as Sony seems to want to have a nice mix of new IP, sequels, remakes etc, so I'm sure we'll see remake of Uncharted 1 by Bluepoint, Jak and Daxter remake by ND or some other team like we saw Ratchet remade and so on, but in terms of the PS3 titles, Uncharted 1 and The Last Of Us 1 are still BOTH PS3 titles....one being older then the other is irrelevant, they are both made using the same hardware and making some PS3 remake would make sense for both regardless of which came first.

Using the shit logic I've heard so far in this thread, you might as well even argue Uncharted 1 doesn't "need" a remake make ,I mean it got a remasters on PS4, so a remake of a remake doe? for whyz? /s

So I get 100% why Sony would remake The Last Of Us 1, that game moved so many units, folks would need their fucking heads examined if they really had to question WHY the game that moved 20 plus million units and won 200 plus GOTY awards got remade before the show aired on HBO, holy fucking shit , are some of you really, really asking this? I would think its odd if we didn't get The Last Of Us 1 remake during the PS5 generation, yet we got SoTc last gen? Demon Souls this gen? It would be more puzzling that they didn't remake the game moving the most units, so I think many need to factor real business and actual logic with this vs some fanboy gatekeeping shit or something as I don't buy this is some rational thinking regarding this.

I mean, why would Sony want to move more units of their best seller? Why would they want MORE people playing the series? Make money? Why would Sony want that? lol So I'm pretty certain we'll see a Uncharted remake, I don't see any of theres as either ors, I think Sony wants lots of their classics remade, but for The Last Of Us 1, it makes 100% complete sense why now would be the time coming up to its 10 year anniversary next year in time for that HBO show.

No one here has even made any real creditable argument on how it would ever benefit Sony or even ND as a team as I'm sure the staff doing this can't even work on those other projects yet as they are likely in different phases.
4LwamS1.jpg

Stop being a sony fanboy trying to justify this game costing 70. It doesn't even come with TLOU 1 MP that was actually good.
Other sony games deserve a remake more than this

Last edited:
Forbiddwn West - "Looks like better looking DLC from the first game. cross-gen. sucks"
Gran Turismo 7 - "Cross gen. sucks"
TLOU - "Unnecessary remake. the one from 2013 looks perfect in 2022. Cash grab."
Ragnarok - "DLC. Sucks. Cross-gen, ew"

There's always something for the "2023 God of War Ragnarok release date" team, isn't there?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I consider all remakes and remasters as "cash grabs," but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The video game industry is a business and if they can make a profit from it, then it's a smart business decision.

The fact that they're going to release this game shortly after lets me know that they're probably planning on releasing TLOU Part I & II on PC within the next year. I highly doubt a port of TLOU Remaster on the PS4 would sell well if it was ported to the PC.

Greatest Hits/ Best Of albums where they added one single unreleased often shabby track or add some remix of the most popular song to get a sale from people who already have all regular albums, those where low effort, actual cash grabs. Redoing an entire game is certainly not. Even though I'd rather have them work on a new IP or if they remaster/remake something than it should not be already on previous gen and compatible with current gen, so something only available on PS3 or older. People can easily buy TLofU. eg Killzone or Resistance require from younger people to get a used PS3-HW or they eventually pop up at PS Plus as a inherently suboptimal Stream or you go the illegal path with emulation. It is no cash grab, but sadly might make them more money than trying to do something new or a more "necessary" remaster.

Topher

Gold Member
Not so much a cash grab as a "What the hell do we do next?" chickenshit move.

ND are the most conservative and least innovative game company out there. Pretending so, so hard that they're not.

Well they are working on another game so pretty sure they know what they are doing next. I think ND is very innovative when it comes to animation. Their characters have the most natural and fluid movement I've ever seen in video games. The gameplay isn't innovative, per se, but it is executed well.

GymWolf

It is a remake and not an expansion.
An expansion is something different from the main game dude, hearth of stone and blood and wine are expansions for withcer 3.

In a remake it is expected to have at least refined mechanics and maybe some shit expanded (not completely fucked up like ff7 remake tho)

Luckily their are bringing the new stuff from tlou2 so there is a bit of change, but expansions are another thing entirely dude

Not so much a cash grab as a "What the hell do we do next?" chickenshit move.

ND are the most conservative and least innovative game company out there. Pretending so, so hard that they're not.
Don't think I'd say they're conservative. Their last game didn't exactly play to everyone's expectations and was very divisive

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It always boggles my mind when companies put in the work to make an updated and better product, and people bitch and moan about having to pay for it.
It’s a phenomenon that only seems to happen with gaming. I never see it in such quantities in other consumer products, such as cars, phones, shoes, film, etc..

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
“What do you mean I need to pay for this new truck I just bought a truck 9 years ago!!”
Not so much that, take the 2020 C8 for example. When you press the Z mode for the instant track mode on the car, it still has some aids on and can’t do full launch control, etc, and can only hover at 1500 rpm and still has most traction modes on. You have to manually put it in track then Sport 1 (or two but good luck if inexperienced driver) to get the 3000rpm launch control and traction with some other aids off.

The 2021 on up, you hit Z mode and it auto puts you in that mode. They could add it to the 2020, but it’s now a “selling point.” Now I’m not even mad, someone will find a workaround eventually when the ECU is finally cracked.

Same with cars and their updated OS's that can clearly work the year prior vehicle, but they lock them out. Then someone hacks the file, uploads it, you download it, and OMG! It works!

Nobody complains. Not like the levels of gamers. Same with smart phones and features they lock out of literally 10 months prior.

Last edited:

tassletine

Don't think I'd say they're conservative. Their last game didn't exactly play to everyone's expectations and was very divisive
Divisiveness really has nothing to do with being conservative politically. I'm not talking about the game's politics though (although Radical Feminism is hardly progressive) but the gameplay.

I can't think of a company that so rigidly adheres to a rusty template apart from Rockstar.
Almost all their games rest on the laurels of a previous entry and they keep carrying that cycle forwards, which is the backbone of any conservative movement.
ND simply can't alter their gameplay / story format, recycling the same themes, gameplay etc. year after year. I might also add that their stories rely heavily on tropes of established properties and offer nothing new their either.

Their games aren't bad at all, most of them are great. But they're clearly stuck in a rut and an unbelievably cautious company.

tassletine

Well they are working on another game so pretty sure they know what they are doing next. I think ND is very innovative when it comes to animation. Their characters have the most natural and fluid movement I've ever seen in video games. The gameplay isn't innovative, per se, but it is executed well.
I agree that their animation is the best out there, at least for realistic movement.
There is a small bit of innovation there, so I'll give you that, but the idea that it is "very innovative" when they've basically been refining that same system for over 15 years is pretty silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom