• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bend Studio animator Robert Morrison responds to The Last of Us 1 Remake regarding 'Cash Grab'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Take the girl to dinner: $70. Buy a game that will last you 100x longer than that dinner: $70. If anything, games are too cheap. I paid $74 for Street Fighter 2 in the 90s so I don't get the outrage. Especially for a buy to play game where you get the full experience. No MTX. We should be applauding games like that these days.
It's not the dinner you are really paying for though.

rock n roll GIF by Zakk Wylde

Topher

Gold Member
I agree that their animation is the best out there, at least for realistic movement.
There is a small bit of innovation there, so I'll give you that, but the idea that it is "very innovative" when they've basically been refining that same system for over 15 years is pretty silly.

Nah, nothing really "silly" about it. TLOU 2 pushed the innovation in their animation quite a bit further than their previous games. If you don't think so then we can just disagree. It's fine.

tassletine

Nah, nothing really "silly" about it. TLOU 2 pushed the innovation in their animation quite a bit further than their previous games. If you don't think so then we can just disagree. It's fine.
Sorry, I don't agree to disagree, I think that's silly too, especially on a discussion board.

I would expect that sort of innovation comes naturally as tech progresses -- which is demonstrably apparent if you look at videogames as a whole.
Animation is such a small part of the game that it's almost meaningless in the context of two series of games spanning 15 years.

And whilst ND might be pushing visual tech, there's almost zero risk in that as the closer you get to reality the more an audience would applaud it.

Sorry, I don't agree to disagree, I think that's silly too, especially on a discussion board.

I would expect that sort of innovation comes naturally as tech progresses -- which is demonstrably apparent if you look at videogames as a whole.
Animation is such a small part of the game that it's almost meaningless in the context of two series of games spanning 15 years.

And whilst ND might be pushing visual tech, there's almost zero risk in that as the closer you get to reality the more an audience would applaud it.
It's so easy being ND... that must be why most other studios fail miserably when trying to do the same things. Who is doing it better then them?

Back to back bangers for multiple gens at this point, must play games, undeniably one of the best studios in the game industry.

Last edited:
"The price of the game is out of my control and worth is subjective to each individual. You can decide for yourself if you want it or not"

I agree with him on this and I am 100% there was a lot of passion put in this project... Whether or not this remake should have happened is another story. I'm sure some ppl will pick this up, but I won't be one of them. I've had my fill of TLOU.

Topher

Gold Member

At some point discussions often boil down to different opinions that are not necessarily right or wrong, just different. I don't think it is "silly" to simply acknowledge that and move on.

I don't agree that this innovation just occurs "naturally". This clearly involves a lot of work to make it better than they game that came before it. That progression is obvious in ND's work. There are only a few devs who are keeping with ND in this area. Ninja Theory immediately comes to mind. Saying the animation being used by these devs is "almost meaningless" is a bit absurd, imo. If it were so trivial then every game would achieve what ND and NT have, but clearly that is not the case.

GymWolf

ND animations are literally why i care for their games output.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Avengers Infinity War got re-released into theaters like 2 months after its initial run and was the same full priced ticket. Should it have been cheaper? Thats what you people are asking Naughty Dog to do. LOL

Titanic had a re-release with zero new footage, same full priced movie ticket. Should it have been cheaper?

You guys are asking game publishers to do what literally no other industry does.

Its the definition of cheap if you ask me.

Completely different product that isn't even consumed at home, that was only 2 months old and not 9 years old? Beyond silly comparison.

And to Titanic, does the new version of The Last of Us Come with a movie theater? Do people make a date night going out to play the last of us?
Get real. Your comparison is completely moot.

THE DUCK

No, you played the ORIGINAL twice. You never played the remake, thats like me saying I played Resident Evil 1 many times so why should I pay for RE2002 remake (clearly not the same fucking game but ok) lol

Not a fair comparison at all, the last of us isn't nearly as old or as broken in it's current remaster form.

You played a game called The Last Of Us, that doesn't mean 1.1 verbatim you played what that remake actually is sir.

I haven't, but I can tell you having played through twice already it sure as hell isn't worth $80 to do it a third time.

EDMIX

Completely different product that isn't even consumed at home, that was only 2 months old and not 9 years old? Beyond silly comparison.

And to Titanic, does the new version of The Last of Us Come with a movie theater? Do people make a date night going out to play the last of us?
Get real. Your comparison is completely moot.

The comparison is sound. What is being compared is that a re-release on other mediums generally isn't cheaper.

Its even worse cause their comparison is factoring a re-release, as in from VHS to DVD or Bluray etc, its NOT factoring in a remake.

So to even make the comparison like a films original to remake which more so fits this, it still doesn't show any area where it being a remake means the film is half price or cheaper or a discount or some weird shit like that.

Thats like saying the remake to Cape Fear should fucking be cheaper, as if they didn't just shoot a film and do anything new. The storyline, plot, characters etc might be the same, but its still a remake doing the same things done that would justify full price.

In terms of games, I'd argue its no different as putting into a different engine and changing up all those aspects still comes at a price. Even if we argue they are using the same story as the original, so is a film's remake and i don't recall any of that shit being half price as you might argue some dumb shit like oh a movie based on a book isn't making a new story right? Oh its not using a new engine as that was used in Part 2, using this same fucking logic should all games be half price as the vast majority are using engines that existed on other games, Starfield and Red Dead Redemption 2 should be discounted using this shit lol I feel some old person probably argued this shit standing in front of the ticket box at a movie theater with the argument that they already seen A Star Is Born in 76 and why should they pay full price for da same story? gerrr lol

tumblr_psmyqiW7uA1urlwx8_500.gifv

"the last of us isn't nearly as old or as broken in it's current remaster form."

Thats actually incorrect, The Last Of Us 1 to Remake is older then what the original Resident Evil was to its 2002 remake, all of that is relevant.

Resident Evil 1 came out in 1996 on PS1
Its remake came out in 2002 on GC and was only 1 generation removed.

The Last Of Us came out in 2013 on PS3
The remake is coming out in 2022 on PS5, a 9 year difference and 2 generations removed.

Not sure why you thought anything needed to fucking be broken in order for a remake to exist lol Nothing is fucking broken with Cape Fear bud lol

and you never played the remake to argue a "third time", you never played it once lol If you don't feel its worth that price, fine, wait it out, buy used, don't buy it at all etc But you never fucking played it 3 times, you played the ORIGINAL thta many times lol

Last edited:

eNT1TY

It's Last of Us 2 for the people that didn't want to play/buy Last of Us 2 for what ever reason whether thematic or political, there were quite of a few of those. It's a cash grab for that audience while hoping to snag a few those LOU2 buyers along the way.

THE DUCK

The comparison is sound. What is being compared is that a re-release on other mediums generally isn't cheaper.

It's not sound at all, it's apples to oranges. It's a 20+ hour video game to a 2 or 3 hour passive movie. One is only enjoyed at home, the other has multiple venues. How well do you think the re-release of Titanic would have done in terms of revenue had it only been re-released to home video?

Its even worse cause their comparison is factoring a re-release, as in from VHS to DVD or Bluray etc, its NOT factoring in a remake.

Again, not the same, films and movies have proved time and time again that they are a completely different form of entertainment vs games.

So to even make the comparison like a films original to remake which more so fits this, it still doesn't show any area where it being a remake means the film is half price or cheaper or a discount or some weird shit like that.

Again, a 2hr move isn't a video game, you can't compare them.

Thats like saying the remake to Cape Fear should fucking be cheaper, as if they didn't just shoot a film and do anything new. The storyline, plot, characters etc might be the same, but its still a remake doing the same things done that would justify full price.

The remake of cape fear, if you must compare, actually had different actors and a different script, tons of things changed. Remind me again which actors and how the script / game has changed for the last of us? Oh right, it hasn't.

In terms of games, I'd argue its no different as putting into a different engine and changing up all those aspects still comes at a price. Even if we argue they are using the same story as the original, so is a film's remake and i don't recall any of that shit being half price as you might argue some dumb shit like oh a movie based on a book isn't making a new story right? Oh its not using a new engine as that was used in Part 2, using this same fucking logic should all games be half price as the vast majority are using engines that existed on other games, Starfield and Red Dead Redemption 2 should be discounted using this shit lol I feel some old person probably argued this shit standing in front of the ticket box at a movie theater with the argument that they already seen A Star Is Born in 76 and why should they pay full price for da same story? gerrr lol

tumblr_psmyqiW7uA1urlwx8_500.gifv

You lost me completely here. Kind of ranting at this point.

"the last of us isn't nearly as old or as broken in it's current remaster form."

Thats actually incorrect, The Last Of Us 1 to Remake is older then what the original Resident Evil was to its 2002 remake, all of that is relevant.

Resident Evil 1 came out in 1996 on PS1
Its remake came out in 2002 on GC and was only 1 generation removed.

The Last Of Us came out in 2013 on PS3
The remake is coming out in 2022 on PS5, a 9 year difference and 2 generations removed.

You can argue this but we both know Last of Us in it's remaster form is extremely playable, where as RE1 was not. We are NOT going to see leaps and bounds better gameplay in the remake.

Not sure why you thought anything needed to fucking be broken in order for a remake to exist lol Nothing is fucking broken with Cape Fear bud lol

and you never played the remake to argue a "third time", you never played it once lol If you don't feel its worth that price, fine, wait it out, buy used, don't buy it at all etc But you never fucking played it 3 times, you played the ORIGINAL thta many times lol

I never said it needed to be broken at all to remade. I like the fact that they are remaking it. I don't like the fact that it's overpriced. (sorry, it just is, you can get over it now) I'm hardly alone in this opinion.
I played it twice, once when it came out, and once for the remaster. It's a great game, but you can only play a game so many times if you have a life. So all forms of entertainment get decided on based on what they offer me that is new or interesting.
Plenty of other great games I haven't even finished yet. The Last of us remake doesn't offer me enough that's new to grab my $80. Looking forward to playing it eventually, when it's $20-30 or on PS plus premium, where it should really be launching or released at to begin with.

tassletine

It's so easy being ND... that must be why most other studios fail miserably when trying to do the same things. Who is doing it better then them?

Back to back bangers for multiple gens at this point, must play games, undeniably one of the best studios in the game industry.
I didn't say it was easy. In fact I pointed out game development is tough. They don't take many risks though.
I agree they're one of the best developers in the industry.

tassletine

At some point discussions often boil down to different opinions that are not necessarily right or wrong, just different. I don't think it is "silly" to simply acknowledge that and move on.

I don't agree that this innovation just occurs "naturally". This clearly involves a lot of work to make it better than they game that came before it. That progression is obvious in ND's work. There are only a few devs who are keeping with ND in this area. Ninja Theory immediately comes to mind. Saying the animation being used by these devs is "almost meaningless" is a bit absurd, imo. If it were so trivial then every game would achieve what ND and NT have, but clearly that is not the case.
An opinion is the entree to a discussion not the end of it.

Hard work comes naturally to a lot of people -- And progression isn't absent in conservative companies.

I think you misunderstand what Conservative means. These phrases aren't binary Ie: Conservatism isn't about not progressing AT ALL.
There isn't a successful conservative company that hasn't adapted. Look at McDonalds. It's about conserving what works -- which Naughty Dog is an expert at.

GymWolf

I would agree with that. The fluid control of the characters in their games is second to none.
Not sure if i think the same but at least they put some weight in their movement compared to many games where it feels like ice skating.

I feel like pure tps and pure acrobatic games (where you jump and climb a lot) have better specialized more precise controls compared to their games.

For me animations, digital acting (not their stories or charas or writing), level of violence, care for details and general graphic are where the good shit is, they are the ultimate eye candy studios.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Hard work comes naturally to a lot of people -- And progression isn't absent in conservative companies.

I think you misunderstand what Conservative means. These phrases aren't binary Ie: Conservatism isn't about not progressing AT ALL.
There isn't a successful conservative company that hasn't adapted. Look at McDonalds. It's about conserving what works -- which Naughty Dog is an expert at.

That is not the argument I was making. ND sticks with "what works" in some aspects, yes. But you said they were "the least innovative company out here" and that's what I disagreed with when it comes to animation. ND could have stuck with "what works" from Uncharted visuals, but they did not. Again, they are among a handful of developers achieving the best of the best in the industry in animation. How they could achieve that while being the "least innovative company out there" I have no idea.

Last edited:

Holy shit this is dumb as fuck

Next you'll tell us the James Webb Telescope was just a natural progression and had nothing to do with human ingenuity

tassletine

That is not the argument I was making. ND sticks with "what works" in some aspects, yes. But you said they were "the least innovative company out here" and that's what I disagreed with when it comes to animation. ND could have stuck with "what works" from Uncharted visuals, but they did not. Again, they are among a handful of developers achieving the best of the best in the industry in animation. How they could achieve that while being the "least innovative company out there" I have no idea.

Holy shit this is dumb as fuck

Next you'll tell us the James Webb Telescope was just a natural progression and had nothing to do with human ingenuity
I consider human beings as part of nature, and not divine. I am not religious.

tassletine

I agree that was hyperbole and I should have said "one of the" as there's no way I could know which was the most.
Having said that, the discussion has broadened since then and I have said I think there animation is excellent and that they push in that area.
I also mentioned Rockstar in one of my posts as perhaps the most conservative, but I really have no idea.

My position is simply that they do not take risks, or very few -- I'd add that realistic animation is not really a risk, although it may be progressive in a factual sense.

When a company like Nintendo are regularly cited as an example of a conservative games company (I think everyone would agree there) you may see my point. NIntendo are a conservative company that still pushes boundaries gameplay and tech wise. In that context I find it very hard to see Naughty Dog as anything but conservative, or in the rerelease of TLOU1 actually regressive.
The only real innovation I see, that pushed the industry forward, came with Uncharted 2, in it's presentation of story / set pieces.

I don't think refinement of their basic gameplay loop over 15 years counts much as progressive even though there have been many refinements.

tassletine

"Next you'll tell us the James Webb Telescope was just a natural progression and had nothing to do with human ingenuity"

That says that the James Webb telescope was NOT a natural progression.

Where as I'm saying that human beings and their inginuity, are PART OF NATURE, and that progression is inevitable.
I believe in Darwinian evolution not creationism (which think that we are separate (divine) from nature).

It may have escaped you but human beings, as they get older, get better at things, and that alone provides the progression we see in society.

So maybe you should ask yourself if you're the one who is "Dumb as fuck"?

Go on -- hunt for another GIF.

"Next you'll tell us the James Webb Telescope was just a natural progression and had nothing to do with human ingenuity"

That says that the James Webb telescope was NOT a natural progression.

Where as I'm saying that human beings and their inginuity, are PART OF NATURE, and that progression is inevitable.
I believe in Darwinian evolution not creationism (which think that we are separate (divine) from nature).

It may have escaped you but human beings, as they get older, get better at things, and that alone provides the progression we see in society.

So maybe you should ask yourself if you're the one who is "Dumb as fuck"?

Go on -- hunt for another GIF.

You are one hell of a psuedo intellectual lmao

EDMIX

It's not sound at all, it's apples to oranges. It's a 20+ hour video game to a 2 or 3 hour passive movie

Thats not being compared, the idea of a re-release, remake and its pricing being increased or not is what is being compared. Keep in mind, I'm 100% sure you know that and are simply trying to be fucking obtuse over it.

No one here is saying a film and game are the same mediums, we are comparing the idea that remake, re-release etc in another industry has not shown any examples of a decrease in price solely based on the same story being applied or even the same film different format ie DVD to Bluray or a remake having a discount cause it had the same story. None of that shit happens in films for the same reason it wouldn't happen in gaming.

The rest of your post just tries to argue that films and games are not the same things, never mind that no one here ever fucking stated they are, we are comparing how those industries remake, re-release and pricing. So telling me some shit like "derrrr da movie be moving and da game you playz" is irrelevant. No one fucking stated they are the same things in that regard and at least know the context of the comparison as some of the example you even made, literally prove the point being made by me and several users on here

as in

The remake of cape fear, if you must compare, actually had different actors and a different script, tons of things changed.

Yea and the fucking remake of The Last Of Us has completely different engine then the first, different models, different AI and different gameplay. Holy fucking shit, you telling me you can see that a remake of Cape Fear can justify its existing based on having "tons of things changed" yet you are really acting as if you didn't understand what the fuck was just being compared in those examples? lol

So yea, Cape Fear has tons of things changed, yet didn't come out at half price.

Thats kinda the point here bud.

You can argue this but we both know Last of Us in it's remaster form is extremely playable,
And? Lots of films are completely viewable and still have re-releases in different formats, still have remakes done etc. I don't see how any of that shit is relevant only to then say some shit like

I never said it needed to be broken at all to remade.
yet you keep arguing the idea that the remaster is playable. So...that has nothing to do with any of this as you seem to be under this impression that a remake should only be made if a game is unplayable or some shit lol If you don't believe this, why are you telling me the remaster is playable? What would be the reason for that?
I don't like the fact that it's overpriced.

Wait for a sale, buy it used etc. The pricing from 16 years ago was never going to fucking apply in 2022 man, thats insane and zero industry right now is charging the same shit for lolz. So the comparison made by Represent. Represent. is more sound then even I took it for as its clear both industries and many industries that do remakes, remasterings, re-releases on different formats all factor a lot of the same shit with price.

You being able to still play your DVD copy of a film, doesn't mean you won't see a bluray, you being able to play that bluray won't change if a remake comes out of said film, the price of that film won't be the same to view as the original 16 years ago based on inflation. So even the idea that the game is overpriced seems off

The average cost of a movie ticket in 2006 the year PS3 came out was 6.55. Games then were 59.99.
The average cost of a movie ticket in 2022 to compare to next gen is 12.06. Games today based on next gen only pricing is 69.99

So with all do respect, we got a luxury of 15 years of the same price, something that film didn't have and even the increase now in games is small as shit compared to films. So if you tell me for the next 15 years we just paying 69.99....I'll take it compared to how inflation was applied to films as we are getting off pretty easy with a 10 buck increase lol Its all relative.

THE DUCK

Thats not being compared, the idea of a re-release, remake and its pricing being increased or not is what is being compared. Keep in mind, I'm 100% sure you know that and are simply trying to be fucking obtuse over it.

No one here is saying a film and game are the same mediums, we are comparing the idea that remake, re-release etc in another industry has not shown any examples of a decrease in price solely based on the same story being applied or even the same film different format ie DVD to Bluray or a remake having a discount cause it had the same story. None of that shit happens in films for the same reason it wouldn't happen in gaming.

The rest of your post just tries to argue that films and games are not the same things, never mind that no one here ever fucking stated they are, we are comparing how those industries remake, re-release and pricing. So telling me some shit like "derrrr da movie be moving and da game you playz" is irrelevant. No one fucking stated they are the same things in that regard and at least know the context of the comparison as some of the example you even made, literally prove the point being made by me and several users on here

as in

Yea and the fucking remake of The Last Of Us has completely different engine then the first, different models, different AI and different gameplay. Holy fucking shit, you telling me you can see that a remake of Cape Fear can justify its existing based on having "tons of things changed" yet you are really acting as if you didn't understand what the fuck was just being compared in those examples? lol

So yea, Cape Fear has tons of things changed, yet didn't come out at half price.

Thats kinda the point here bud.

And? Lots of films are completely viewable and still have re-releases in different formats, still have remakes done etc. I don't see how any of that shit is relevant only to then say some shit like

yet you keep arguing the idea that the remaster is playable. So...that has nothing to do with any of this as you seem to be under this impression that a remake should only be made if a game is unplayable or some shit lol If you don't believe this, why are you telling me the remaster is playable? What would be the reason for that?

Wait for a sale, buy it used etc. The pricing from 16 years ago was never going to fucking apply in 2022 man, thats insane and zero industry right now is charging the same shit for lolz. So the comparison made by Represent. Represent. is more sound then even I took it for as its clear both industries and many industries that do remakes, remasterings, re-releases on different formats all factor a lot of the same shit with price.

You being able to still play your DVD copy of a film, doesn't mean you won't see a bluray, you being able to play that bluray won't change if a remake comes out of said film, the price of that film won't be the same to view as the original 16 years ago based on inflation. So even the idea that the game is overpriced seems off

The average cost of a movie ticket in 2006 the year PS3 came out was 6.55. Games then were 59.99.
The average cost of a movie ticket in 2022 to compare to next gen is 12.06. Games today based on next gen only pricing is 69.99

So with all do respect, we got a luxury of 15 years of the same price, something that film didn't have and even the increase now in games is small as shit compared to films. So if you tell me for the next 15 years we just paying 69.99....I'll take it compared to how inflation was applied to films as we are getting off pretty easy with a 10 buck increase lol Its all relative.

You just regurgitated the same nonsensical arguement you had before, that doesn't make it right. I agree with cinnimonandgravy, the thread needs more grilled cheese.

EDMIX

doesn't make it right.

Make it right? The fuck? None of us here is some authority over that IP man. Nothing here is a wrong or a right. You don't fucking own the game, the company, the IP or anything like that to force some moral shit like right or wrong regarding a fucking video game.

No law was broken, no one is going to jail sir and no standard has ever been made regarding when a title gets remade or why one gets remade etc. Thats taking this into a realm of some complete loony shit lol So if you want to argue some morality shit regarding a video game being remade cause you can't really explain any fucking medium thats ever given some magical discount regarding a remake, go ahead.

Have fun. Right or wrong is some feelings fest cop out bullshit that has no place in what is being talked about here. This isn't a fucking charity and its not talking about feeding the homeless, its a video game release....

THE DUCK

Make it right? The fuck? None of us here is some authority over that IP man. Nothing here is a wrong or a right. You don't fucking own the game, the company, the IP or anything like that to force some moral shit like right or wrong regarding a fucking video game.

No law was broken, no one is going to jail sir and no standard has ever been made regarding when a title gets remade or why one gets remade etc. Thats taking this into a realm of some complete loony shit lol So if you want to argue some morality shit regarding a video game being remade cause you can't really explain any fucking medium thats ever given some magical discount regarding a remake, go ahead.

Have fun. Right or wrong is some feelings fest cop out bullshit that has no place in what is being talked about here. This isn't a fucking charity and its not talking about feeding the homeless, its a video game release....

A lot of anger going on here, I can keep my opinion that it's overpriced (like many others have repeadly stated) and you can keep your angry indignation. No morality needed, just what the market will pay or not. Cheers.

EDMIX

A lot of anger going on here, I can keep my opinion that it's overpriced (like many others have repeadly stated) and you can keep your angry indignation. No morality needed, just what the market will pay or not. Cheers.

Thats nice.

Inflation shows its cheaper to game then it is to do any other medium right now. You fucking lucky that shit just bumped 10 bucks after 15 years. If thats too much for you, thats a you thing bud. You just don't have much going for a logical defense here other then...you have no money or something lol All your other arguments seem silly and you can't really make them make a lot of sense.

When you lack an objective argument and start running a whole "right" or wrong feelings fest type emotional appeal, its time to add you to that ignore.

be like "nooooooooo its no rIgHTz"

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Thats nice.

Inflation shows its cheaper to game then it is to do any other medium right now. You fucking lucky that shit just bumped 10 bucks after 15 years. If thats too much for you, thats a you thing bud. You just don't have much going for a logical defense here other then...you have no money or something lol All your other arguments seem silly and you can't really make them make a lot of sense.

When you lack an objective argument and start running a whole "right" or wrong feelings fest type emotional appeal, its time to add you to that ignore.

be like "nooooooooo its no rIgHTz"

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Time to seek help, I present an arguement, you respond with the exact same arguement you had before as some sort of clever retort, adding in swearing and signs of abject emotional anger, and I'm the emotional one? Wow, just wow. Feel free to add me to ignore. Also you need to be added to the ever expanding list of people who can't make a sound arguement to save the world and thinks it's clever to post dumb gifs. Probably one of those people who throw out "straw man" comments when they have leg to stand on either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom