• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Is Officially Obsolete (The Jimquisition)

zcaa0g

Banned
I know this isn't popular opinion but I didn't think F4 was that bad. I mean sure its dialog system was a step in the wrong direction and the story wasn't quite as good as 3 but it was okay.

Plus, it had a lot better map than Vegas. Vegas' story and gameplay couldn't overcome the game world/map for me. Vegas's game world/map was like Deus Ex Invisible War compared to the original great maps of Deus Ex.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not going to watch this, but the image makes me think he is using Outer Worlds as an example of their obsolescence? If so, that really doesn't make any sense to me. The game is more Mass Effect than Elder Scrolls/Fallout.

I've heard that from gamers since Fallout 3, then Skyrim, then Fallout 4, then Fallout 76...

Not just to you, put the masochists out there; How many chances does a game company get? I fell for Fallout 4. Never again.

For some people, they take no shit from their favorite games company. Their favorite game company gets exactly 23 chances before they put their foot down. They ain't dumb or blind fanboys. They have 'tegridy. Maybe 24 chances if the PR team is really good. But that's it. They ain't fools.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its hard to truly believe anything good will come from ES6.

I mean, how can you screw up Doom? You know Doom? Fucking absolutely old game that has mods way ahead of its time on PC.

I have no reason to believe that Doom 64 and ES6 will not share the same fate. After all if they're doing bad moves despite criticism, then there are stupid people who are supporting the trash they made.

This might be the worst generation in terms of people. Supporting drm, lootboxes, less content, you name it.

Last edited:
Thank god i'm not as bitter and funhating as Jim or some of you guys ITT, I've not played 76 and never will cause it's type of game (Destiny/The Division/Warframe) isn't for me but i know despite all the bitching reactionaries like good old diabites man here and Mr. Yong"i'm going to Hollywood to be a VA with my sleep inducing boring voice" yea.
If the core audience who played the game since don't vote with wallets/complain to Bethesda nothing will change, and if you don't like/play the game why do you care? Just move on to other games.
As much as he bitches about "Games as a Service" he doesn't say what they did to online only pvp games like Rainbow Six Siege which wouldn't be ad good as it is today if not for constant updates and events/opreators Ubi supported the game with.
Sometimes i wonders do people on forums/YouTube play games anymore?
DZBCnyQVwAAHETw

Hulk Hogan would be proud, and Macho Man is rolling in his grave.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Its hard to truly believe anything good will come from ES6.

I mean, how can you screw up Doom? You know Doom? Fucking absolutely old game that has mods way ahead of its time on PC.

I have no reason to believe that Doom 64 and ES6 will not share the same fate. After all if they're doing bad moves despite criticism, then there are stupid people who are supporting the trash they made.

This might be the worst generation in terms of people. Supporting drm, lootboxes, less content, you name it.

Wait, what? You didn't like the latest Doom game? I thought it was incredibly well down and was way beyond what I expected from modern day Id.

Either way, when people are talking about Bethesda in this thread, I think they are referring to the developer of Elder Scrolls and Fallout rather than the publisher.

DedEmbryonicCell

Neo Member
I don't know of anyone who thinks Fallout 4 is a legit bad game. It's actually a great game in many ways, but people justifiably hold the emphasis on shooting and voiced protagonist against it. Far Harbor did a lot to rectify that mistake. I'd say the general consensus is that it was an OK, but made a lot of decisions that were trending in the wrong direction. I personally hated the settlement building aspect and would rather they have ditched that and made more single player DLC.

Fallout 4 was more of a shooter then it was an RPG .. I don't get how you have Fallout 3 and New Vegas and then butcher the S.P.E.C.I.A.L as much as they did in Fallout 4 ..

I have no problems with the voiced protagonist, the issue was your dialog options didn't always add up to what you said, it was poorly done ..

When I play a Fallout I don't want to play a straight shooter, I want to play an RPG, which Fallout 4 was far from ..

Shifty1897

I started playing Fallout 4 on PC this weekend. I'm having a great time with it, I don't know why it didn't grab me in 2015 the first time I tried. I've been avoiding any of the settlement stuff and so far the game hasn't made me do any of it

Petrae

Well, of course Bethesda is dogshit. We’ve known this for almost a decade. Todd Howard is little more than a shady used car salesman, hocking video games instead of old sedans. The problems date back Skyrim and its myriad bugs (remember that god-awful PS3 version?), and its reputation has really taken a nosedive over the course of this console generation.

— The Wolfenstein series went from great to mediocre to fucking terrible.

— Fallout 4 showed holes in the armor and, for many, was a significant step back from its predecessors.

— RAGE 2. Pretty uncommon for a AAA title from an allegedly respected publisher to shit the bed like this did.

— Bethesda harshly changed direction, from championing single-player games to forcing multiplayer into single-player games.

— Even Bethesda’s press events during E3 time have hit the skids, now punctuated by lame musical performances and screaming fan/assholes.

Even though Bethesda has sunk to the level of the true dregs of the industry, with EA, Take-Two Interactive, Warner Bros., and Activision... like those shitstain publishers, its fans will keep the company going. Maybe the publisher’s games lose some appeal, but there’s still plenty of people out there to suck money from.

Bethesda isn’t irrelevant. Just less relevant.

I've heard that from gamers since Fallout 3, then Skyrim, then Fallout 4, then Fallout 76...

Not just to you, put the masochists out there; How many chances does a game company get? I fell for Fallout 4. Never again.
I didn't think any of their games before fallout 76 were bad so this is the first time I'm giving them another chance.

As much as I'm enjoying Outer Worlds, it's nothing like Fallout - it's not even open world. It definitely doesn't scratch the itch for a Bethesda game for me.

Kacho

This is the most Jim Sterling video I’ve ever seen. The guy sounds completely clueless and most of this video doesn’t hold up under scrutiny. Classic YouPoop content. Yes, Fallout 76 is a shitshow, but let’s not pretend like Starfield and TESVI won’t be amazing, hype-worthy games all the sudden. Give me a break.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If Bethesda wants me to regain faith in them, they can do one (well technically two) thing:

Re-release Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on current gen consoles complete with mod support. Have it done by the same team who ported Skyrim. After playing The Outer Worlds, I BADLY want to play it on consoles again on my OLED.

If Bethesda did that, they should consider providing both of those games free to Fallout 76 subscribers, where they can use the atom points in all 3 games instead of just Fallout 76. Not that atom point mods are anything special, but the mods they can buy with them do allow you to still earn achievements and trophies

There it is Bethesda:

A get out of jail for a small fee card.

p.s. I know some of you can't help yourselves, but please don't respond with "get it on PC" the PC versions of these games run like ass and are non-stop crash fests. I'd much rather both games get ported to the latest version of Gamebryo and run on current gen consoles as well as Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE did (at least for me)

Get a decent PC. They run just fine. I get it, you have a hate boner, but don’t let it blind you to reality.

Grinchy

Banned
I do think Bethesda needed a little kick in the ass. They've been a little lazy about Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Our last Elder Scrolls game came out 8 years ago and some of their design choices were already showing their age back then at the game's launch.

And then there's the company's insistence upon using their ratty old engine with minor enhancements despite all the same types of bugs and issues coming up at every single release and re-release. Name one other company that would put out yet another re-release of their 8 year old game without even bothering to fix the bugs that have been around since day 1 and consumers still buy millions of copies. Other developers have pride in their work and would think that a re-release deserves one programmer's lunch hour to fix something that's being shoved out at damn near full profit.

Petrae

They aren't forcing multiplayer into singleplayer games though.

Fallout 3 and 4, Bethesda’s two previous successful Fallout games, were single player epics; Fallout 76 *can* be played solo, but was created as a multiplayer experience. That runs contrary to Bethesda’s battle cry in 2017 that rallied around solo games.

The Wolfenstein revival was at its peak as a solo, narrative-driven setup. The most recent game in the series changed that and went co-op.

That’s two specific examples to prove that Bethesda has, in fact, forced multiplayer into formerly solo-only games.

Top Bottom