• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Representative Endorses Harassment of Popular Wow Streamer Asmongold and Calls Him an Asshole

TonyK

I think pointing that blizzard employee could start a cancel movement (to him) in the same way as that harassment campaign towards the streamer. I mean, from outside, both sides seem the same: cancel culture. But I'm sure each of them will defend his cancel position as the right one, not as cancelling at all but justice.

I hope this madness will stop some day. Inquisition days, witch hunt days, communist hunt days, ended time ago and nobody should want to return to that shit again.

McCheese

He's not wrong, it's fine for someone who works at a company to dislike someone who promotes said companies products.

Trying to get the guy in trouble with "look at what blizzard said!" Headlines is lame.

cormack12

Gold Member
Looked at guys account. Set to private already. He will be rolling his eyes and tutting at everyone in the office/discord this morning saying he's now one of the brave voices forced into hiding because he is trying to 'do the right thing', and how all the toxic gamers came for him. Yada, yada, yada.

Honestly just remove all blue marks from twitter users that aren't important enough to have their own wiki page at this stage. Or if you're chatting general/political shit on your verified account then you get booted off. These people think that millions of people follow them to hear shit like 'Trump is an orange cheeto'. They follow you because they love the game and want to think they will get some early, breaking or relevant news.

Somewhere along the way, ego took over because they had an 'audience', and think only their morally and intellctually superior thoughts should be shared like pearls of wisdom. Politcally bankrupt, extremist ideologies, sanctimonious and hypocritical little people.

Looked at guys account. Set to private already. He will be rolling his eyes and tutting at everyone in the office/discord this morning saying he's now one of the brave voices forced into hiding because he is trying to 'do the right thing', and how all the toxic gamers came for him. Yada, yada, yada.

Honestly just remove all blue marks from twitter users that aren't important enough to have their own wiki page at this stage. Or if you're chatting general/political shit on your verified account then you get booted off. These people think that millions of people follow them to hear shit like 'Trump is an orange cheeto'. They follow you because they love the game and want to think they will get some early, breaking or relevant news.

Somewhere along the way, ego took over because they had an 'audience', and think only their morally and intellctually superior thoughts should be shared like pearls of wisdom. Politcally bankrupt, extremist ideologies, sanctimonious and hypocritical little people.
Get over it. If he shared political rhetoric that you agreed with you wouldn’t be bitching.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Get over it. If he shared political rhetoric that you agree with you wouldn’t be bitching.

Of course. You seem to have just stated two things as facts that you don't know. Someone's IQ is low - can you provide receipts? Can you give me an example of someone sharing political rhetoric I agree with, where I say Twitter is the best place for it?

Same 'act' as the blue dye brigade, have to up your game here!! As I say to most people, if you actually reply with a response that has more than a passing toilet thought I'lll consider replying. If your response is at the same level as your previous two posts, know I've read it and don't consider you worth replying to.

giphy.gif

Of course. You seem to have just stated two things as facts that you don't know. Someone's IQ is low - can you provide receipts? Can you give me an example of someone sharing political rhetoric I agree with, where I say Twitter is the best place for it?

Same 'act' as the blue dye brigade, have to up your game here!! As I say to most people, if you actually reply with a response that has more than a passing toilet thought I'lll consider replying. If your response is at the same level as your previous two posts, know I've read it and don't consider you worth replying to.

giphy.gif
Let’s take a look at some of your opinions over the matter.

Take away blue check marks if they’re not famous enough to have their own wiki page. Don’t talk about politics or else you should get booted. It’s egotistical if a person shares their political leanings to their followers instead they should stick to whatever the reason they have followers in the first place. Lol typical right winger logic.

Meanwhile your last paragraph bitches about leftists getting mad at opposing opinions being shared. 😂

Keep up the outrage. Have a good day.

Can we please leave politics out of this? Let's discuss actions and words, not political leanings.

His video is 100000000% accurate. The entire launch WoW dev team would be run out of Irvine by the current inquisition. Jeff Kaplan's name wasn't Tigole. It was Tigole Bitties. That alone would get him executed by the purity squad. Likewise Furor had similar antics in Fires of Heaven in EverQuest that would get him ostracized by the danger hairs who are running the show now.

This is the reason why I'm afraid that Blizzard's glory is long past gone and that they might never reach the same heights again. Judging by the people they have hired, their creative process is way too stifled and their corporate culture way too uptight to foster the birth of interesting new IPs. They are still sitting on the laurels of those who made Blizzard great in the past, from Starcraft to Diablo. Merging with Activision probably didn't help either.

I'm not surprised they bullied Morhaime out of the company, they were out for his blood for a long time now. I'm certainly missing the energy of the past, they had heart and soul and a deep passion for their games. Look at that video and then tell me what happened to that company?

Even David Brevik criticized the drastic change in their corporate culture:

“’Overwatch’ isn’t ‘Fortnite.’ Why have you wronged us? Okay, we’re going to get rid of the [employee] profit-sharing program. We don’t like this,” Brevik said. “We don’t like the fact that low-level employees make decent money at Blizzard. We’re gonna get rid of this program because we need more profits to increase our stock price, and improve our shareholders and the elite 1% of the company.”

“And, so, therefore, you don’t like this very much, Mike Morhaime?” Brevik added. “Well too f—ing bad, you’re gone!”

Blizzard surely could do with some of that tigole bittie energy but nowadays he'd be banned for hate-speech:

awwowpc.png

Asmongold is more in line with Blizzard of the past. His "hardcore gamer" persona doesn't fit with the sanitized image that Actiblizzard wants to convey nowadays, even if the vast majority of their hardcore fans is more like Asmon. I think it is one of the reasons why Blizzard is so out of touch with the community. Their success is built on the "degenerates" that supported them for so long, but now that they've raked in the dough, they want to get rid of their core audience.

Asmongold is a gem. His video about why he's not living the "typical rich Youtuber life" made me really really like him. [...]
"I don't give a shit about driving a Lamborghini, my old Ford works fine. I don't need fancy clothes or fancy stuff. I still live with my mum because I love her.

Asmongold's modesty and anti-materialistic lifestyle is one of the reasons why I like watching some of his videos. He's a very unpretentious character, a simple dude who usually gives nuanced and insightful commentary. At least he doesn't try to be something that he's not. He is what he is, warts and all and he doesn't try to hide it. It's a refreshing change that stands in stark contrast with the fake streamer personalities that are popular right now.

McCheese

Asmongold's modesty and anti-materialistic lifestyle is one of the reasons why I like watching some of his videos. He's a very unpretentious character, a simple dude who usually gives nuanced and insightful commentary. At least he doesn't try to be something that he's not. He is what he is, warts and all and he doesn't try to hide it. It's a refreshing change that stands in stark contrast with the fake streamer personalities that are popular right now.

I've seen his stupid YouTube thumbnail faces, he might be the nicest guy in the world but something about those fucking open mouth faux-stunned thumbnail faces that make me hate them with the burning passion of a thousand suns.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
WTF is a gender expert? really chaps this one flew over my head.. i got the "Furry" which is a few rungs down the pedo ladder for me... what the fuck is it with these loons

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Can we please leave politics out of this? Let's discuss actions and words, not political leanings.

This is the reason why I'm afraid that Blizzard's glory is long past gone and that they might never reach the same heights again. Judging by the people they have hired, their creative process is way too stifled and their corporate culture way too uptight to foster the birth of interesting new IPs. They are still sitting on the laurels of those who made Blizzard great in the past, from Starcraft to Diablo. Merging with Activision probably didn't help either.

I'm not surprised they bullied Morhaime out of the company, they were out for his blood for a long time now. I'm certainly missing the energy of the past, they had heart and soul and a deep passion for their games. Look at that video and then tell me what happened to that company?

Even David Brevik criticized the drastic change in their corporate culture:

Blizzard surely could do with some of that tigole bittie energy but nowadays he'd be banned for hate-speech:

awwowpc.png

Asmongold is more in line with Blizzard of the past. His "hardcore gamer" persona doesn't fit with the sanitized image that Actiblizzard wants to convey nowadays, even if the vast majority of their hardcore fans is more like Asmon. I think it is one of the reasons why Blizzard is so out of touch with the community. Their success is built on the "degenerates" that supported them for so long, but now that they've raked in the dough, they want to get rid of their core audience.

Morheim didn't put up with "feelings" bullshit. He only cared about Blizzard, their legacy, and the quality of the product. Which is why he got the boot. He wouldn't put up with bullshit politics if it hurt the Blizzard image, and I know for a fact he fired people who were allowing that sort of thing to percolate in their department.

At the same time, I think Brack didn't get enough time to prove himself before the fanbase turned on him. When Brack was working on Star Wars Galaxies, he was literally the only dev who knew what he was doing and took action to try to fix the broken game.

Patrick S.

Banned
I've seen his stupid YouTube thumbnail faces, he might be the nicest guy in the world but something about those fucking open mouth faux-stunned thumbnail faces that make me hate them with the burning passion of a thousand suns.
Most Youtubers put those faces up purely as thumbnail faces. Asmongold does look confused like that most of the time, so it's not an act for clicks :D

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I love Asmon and have enjoyed his content for years. His response to the tweet is exactly what I would have expected from him. He owns it, admits that yeah he is an asshole, and then in the same breath tells people that he can handle himself and to not harass these people. He even makes a good point about rather knowing how people feel about him instead of keeping it quiet because at least then there is a dialog going on.

The guy can be cringe sometimes when he is in character, but off screen he seems like a pretty cool dude and the fact that a Blizzard employee tried signal boosting a harassment campaign against him while also insulting him is fucking ridiculous. He definitely handled it better than I would have if I was in the same situation with the public platform that he has.

BabyYoda

Banned
Man that's oozing with virtue signalling, "look at us, we're not racist, honest!" Also ticks feminist and anti-beauty boxes nicely (black women can be stunning, but that one is manish, Blizzard can and should do better).

It reminds me of all the virtue signalling Hollywood does, when it's one of the most bigoted places on the planet. If Blizzard really care, they'll do something about the homeless black people (and other ethnicities) in California, the ones living in human feces. You'll note it's not a black man, cos patriarchy blah blah blah!

If I see any of these phonies doing something that actually helps black people or any other decent cause they claim to support, I will be the first to applaud them, I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Just now noticed that the person who was trying to create the harassment campaign and the person who signal boosted it at blizzard have both locked their Twitter accounts because they are getting harassed....

It'sIronic.gif

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Just now noticed that the person who was trying to create the harassment campaign and the person who signal boosted it at blizzard have both locked their Twitter accounts because they are getting harassed....

It'sIronic.gif
Well he's verified and if he keeps it locked long enough he'll lose that checkmark.

Kumomeme

I can't imagine the official Square Enix account replying "no fuck you" to trying the game. Why are we cheering for the obvious?
in his stream before he mentioned that despite he played wow for 15 years, blizzard never comment on his twitter. thats why he appreciate the gesture by square enix.

That tool wants shooting for that fucking picture.

I don't watch anybody who does "YouTube Face" for their thumbnails. Nothing in a YouTube video has every been that funny/shocking/scary/etc for a real human being to pull the sort of face you see them pulling in thumbnails. It's a sad fact that people are more likely to click on a video that uses a face on the thumbnail, even more so when there's an exagerated comic book on that face.
It's as bad as tacky video titles that don't actually tell you what the video is about so that people watch the video to find out what it's about.
Many of the more popular gaming people seem to do these exact things and that's often why I have no idea who YouTube people are that are mentioned on here. I also have an extension that allows me to block content from any particular channel that I see doing this.

BigBooper

Laugh Lol GIF by Farmer Wants A Wife

I'm not sure the point. I mean, your post is more aggressive towards the Blizzard employee that his was towards the streamer. People getting too hung up on trivialities.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Personal opinions are just personal opinions. I dunno why there's an uproar about somebody calling somebody else an asshole. This isn't Ree

Sure. I get that. But this guy is employed by Blizzard. Like most companies, I'm sure Blizzard have guidelines for how their employees conduct themselves on social media.

Calling people who are customers or potential customers assholes isn't a good look for Blizzard.

If I did that to somebody on Twitter, when it was clear I was working for and representing my company, I'd be disciplined or sacked.

Beelzebubs

Sure. I get that. But this guy is employed by Blizzard. Like most companies, I'm sure Blizzard have guidelines for how their employees conduct themselves on social media.

Calling people who are customers or potential customers assholes isn't a good look for Blizzard.

If I did that to somebody on Twitter, when it was clear I was working for and representing my company, I'd be disciplined or sacked.
It says on his bio all opinions are his own not his companies. Also I'm sure a lot of Blizzard employees would agree.

I don't watch anybody who does "YouTube Face" for their thumbnails. Nothing in a YouTube video has every been that funny/shocking/scary/etc for a real human being to pull the sort of face you see them pulling in thumbnails. It's a sad fact that people are more likely to click on a video that uses a face on the thumbnail, even more so when there's an exagerated comic book on that face.
It's as bad as tacky video titles that don't actually tell you what the video is about so that people watch the video to find out what it's about.
Many of the more popular gaming people seem to do these exact things and that's often why I have no idea who YouTube people are that are mentioned on here. I also have an extension that allows me to block content from any particular channel that I see doing this.
That "Linus" wanker is the absolute worst for this. Mercifully I have that buffoon's channel blocked.

Nobody_Important

If you were actually familiar with Asmon you would know that he does the ridiculous faces on purpose. It's not an attempt at clickbait or whatever. It's his way of making fun of people who do that shit for real.

Top Bottom