• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Representative Endorses Harassment of Popular Wow Streamer Asmongold and Calls Him an Asshole

sTYUMy4.jpeg
giphy.gif

200.gif

The FFXIV community is welcoming him with open arms:

MvrlxKz.jpg

uPZuic8.jpg

Even the Japanese FFXIV community is reacting positive to Asmon:

Lw5V4CL.jpg

GMs are actively banning the stream snipers:

The official FFXIV discord dedicated a whole channel to him:

e4uo2bq6a8971.jpg

The memes are flowing:

fqaTqIm.jpg

8omhqg1946971.jpg

Wholesome content is being streamed:

I love all the positivity that is coming from the FFXIV community. Meanwhile, the twitter vultures have locked their accounts and went into hiding while Blizzard stays salty:

gxLrpVi.jpg

It's really nice to see all this positivity supplant the negativity. This is the difference between practicing what you preach by actually fostering a positive community and holding your fanbase in contempt and looking down on your customers. It's one of the reasons why I love FFXIV and its community. Nobody gives a sh*t about your political views, your opinions, you ethnicity, sexual preferences or social status, as long as you treat other players with respect everybody is welcome to play the game.

Thabass

Personal opinions are just personal opinions. I dunno why there's an uproar about somebody calling somebody else an asshole. This isn't Ree
It's more that this person was speaking as a representative of the FFXIV community. It's like it's their word over others. Fuck that shit.\

Yeah, this place blows. Don't know why anyone would stick around.
You're banned now, but still... WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU HERE? 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The FFXIV community is welcoming him with open arms:

MvrlxKz.jpg

uPZuic8.jpg

Even the Japanese FFXIV community is reacting positive to Asmon:

Lw5V4CL.jpg

GMs are actively banning the stream snipers:

The official FFXIV discord dedicated a whole channel to him:

e4uo2bq6a8971.jpg

The memes are flowing:

fqaTqIm.jpg

8omhqg1946971.jpg

Wholesome content is being streamed:

I love all the positivity that is coming from the FFXIV community. Meanwhile, the twitter vultures have locked their accounts and went into hiding while Blizzard stays salty:

gxLrpVi.jpg

It's really nice to see all this positivity supplant the negativity. This is the difference between practicing what you preach by actually fostering a positive community and holding your fanbase in contempt and looking down on your customers. It's one of the reasons why I love FFXIV and its community. Nobody gives a sh*t about your political views, your opinions, you ethnicity, sexual preferences or social status, as long as you treat other players with respect everybody is welcome to play the game.

The guy does nothing else then try to improve the game with feedbacks and massively advertise the game for them.

No wonder blizzard is a corpse.

Yet (another) reason to dislike modern day Blizzard. If not for Classic TBC, I'm fairly sure I'd be done with WoW as I've long since had zero desire to play Retail. Attitudes like that from that DEV only reinforces that. There's plenty other good games to occupy my time.

Tg89

Companies like EA spent millions of dollars trying to make a "WoW killer" MMO.

Turns out it just took a five-word Tweet from Adam Holisky.
The real WoW killer was WoW itself tbh. Took them like 10 years of missteps, but they managed to do it.

FFXIV is great though, I just started playing recently and am having a blast. But I don't think it kills WoW if Blizzard somewhat maintains the quality/content frequency post Wrath.

Last edited:

Tg89

And I mean Asmon loves WoW clearly. Beyond that it's been his livelihood for the past however many years. I'm sure he's made more money off playing WoW than 99% of the people who worked on the game. Not that I think he'll have an issue attracting viewers in a potential post-WoW world (which is still far far away all things considered), but the dude must feel like he's putting his own dog to sleep.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I played FFXIV, finished all the 2.0 content and probably if I didn't start with WoW in June 2005 it would have been my favorite MMO ever - the sense of wonder and systems esp. crafting are miles ahead of WoW.

Whatever you think of Asmon he is like the personification of a MMO fan - he loves the game he plays and wants it to be better, gives his opinion without filter but also he is never outright hostile.

cucuchu

Its just a sign of the arrogance of the WoW dev team and its sad to see. I take particular interest in this because I kind of feel the same way Asmon does about WoW. It has become my go-to game and so much time/effort has been vested into it...not to mention the sub money spent, money spent on race change/faction change/server transfers, etc. But Blizzard is not what it once was. It never will be again and that's ok. I'll probably still stick around playing BC classic (raid logging) and eventually WotLK classic and then once I kill heroic Lich King...that's it, I'm done. I'll finish playing WoW where I feel the peak of the game existed and where I should of stopped playing in the first place. I know its been said before over and over but I really do think WoW has lost its status as the king of MMO's and it will start to fade into the background more and more now. It will never 'die', even Ultima Online and Everquest still exist, but with FFXIV huge surge in popularity and most of WoW's big content creators at least giving it attention (if not full-on switching over), and all of the MMO's launching this year and going into next, I just don't think WoW is going to be able to establish its footing again. 'Death from a thousand cuts' as it were, although most of the blame is on Blizzard for their gross mismanagement of the game.

I have recently given FFXIV a fair shot and now that I am into Heavensward, it has become very clear to me that FFXIV is a passion project and something the developers have poured their hearts into. The story, the music, the world-design, etc are leagues beyond WoW which only holds up in the music department and art design is usually pretty decent but I still feel like FFXIV overtakes WoW there. Where WoW completely tears their game systems down every expansion and replaces it with some new system which will be better for their player-engagement metrics, FFXIV seems to just build on what they have and respects the content they have already created. They have created this near-perfect system of players needing to play through all of the old dungeons, MSQ, etc and experiencing the same game those who played years ago experienced and then making it easy to find groups through Duty Finder to get these done. A "classic" FFXIV would never be needed because for better or worse, classic FFXIV already exists within the game as is. I don't feel rushed, I don't feel like the community is built around DPS meters and god-parsing...it just feels refreshing.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Its just a sign of the arrogance of the WoW dev team and its sad to see. I take particular interest in this because I kind of feel the same way Asmon does about WoW. It has become my go-to game and so much time/effort has been vested into it...not to mention the sub money spent, money spent on race change/faction change/server transfers, etc. But Blizzard is not what it once was. It never will be again and that's ok. I'll probably still stick around playing BC classic (raid logging) and eventually WotLK classic and then once I kill heroic Lich King...that's it, I'm done. I'll finish playing WoW where I feel the peak of the game existed and where I should of stopped playing in the first place. I know its been said before over and over but I really do think WoW has lost its status as the king of MMO's and it will start to fade into the background more and more now. It will never 'die', even Ultima Online and Everquest still exist, but with FFXIV huge surge in popularity and most of WoW's big content creators at least giving it attention (if not full-on switching over), and all of the MMO's launching this year and going into next, I just don't think WoW is going to be able to establish its footing again. 'Death from a thousand cuts' as it were, although most of the blame is on Blizzard for their gross mismanagement of the game.

I have recently given FFXIV a fair shot and now that I am into Heavensward, it has become very clear to me that FFXIV is a passion project and something the developers have poured their hearts into. The story, the music, the world-design, etc are leagues beyond WoW which only holds up in the music department and art design is usually pretty decent but I still feel like FFXIV overtakes WoW there. Where WoW completely tears their game systems down every expansion and replaces it with some new system which will be better for their player-engagement metrics, FFXIV seems to just build on what they have and respects the content they have already created. They have created this near-perfect system of players needing to play through all of the old dungeons, MSQ, etc and experiencing the same game those who played years ago experienced and then making it easy to find groups through Duty Finder to get these done. A "classic" FFXIV would never be needed because for better or worse, classic FFXIV already exists within the game as is. I don't feel rushed, I don't feel like the community is built around DPS meters and god-parsing...it just feels refreshing.

The sad thing is? That “perfect system” that FFXIV used for Progression? It was almost identical to the one WoW used for years and thr thing that made it a massive hit. Then Blizz decided to ruin it. 15 years of WoW for me and between Legion and BFA, Blizz killed all interest i had in continuing to play.

FFXIV respects player time. I love that the most about the game.

Indeed, the duty finder works great and dailies not only keep old content populated but are also greatly rewarding. It's not only one of the best ways to level your characters but also gives you currency for high-end gear and crafting mats. The game never punishes you for not having huge amounts of time to invest into it, yet can feel very rewarding if you do. Running lower level instances might be a tad on the boring side due to the restricted skillset, but it's always nice to help sprouts and the rewards are good stuff. The only thing that I don't like are the Main Scenario duties, screw Castrum and the Praetorium.

Every activity in the game, be it raiding, crafting, PvP, questing, bozja, gold saucer, triple triad, trials or dungeon runs remain very accessible even for regular players. I never feel like I have to give up my real life in order to play, the great community, the crazy good mechanics for boss fights and the amazing crafting system are the reasons why I like playing FFXIV. I think one of the reasons why FFXIV rewards are so good is because there's just so much to do, the developers are not gating your progression because they're afraid of running out of content.

FFXIV is like the soul food of gaming.

To get back on topic, some FFXIV players performed a song for Asmon:

His community turned him into a Miqo'te:

And the memes are still amazing:

8pz5slrcng971.jpg

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I've seen his stuff occasionally and thought he was ok. I know my (now adult) children watch him a lot.

He's a hugely influential streamer with genuine, honest, well-balanced views like this below? It's no wonder that failures in life are going after him.

Last edited:
Blizzard isn't willing to admit how much pull influencers such as Asmon have with WoW and other games. One person going to the forums saying they're quitting WoW and going to FFXIV means nothing to Blizzard. Seeing someone such as Asmon publicly saying the same thing should send shockwaves of panic through BizzHQ due to all the people who've never played FFXIV now saying "Well, maybe I should try it too." that would've never have tried it otherwise. You couple that with all the other "normal" people you've watch leave WoW (either forum posts or you knew in game) that have done the same and you have them thinking, "Well, let's see what the hubbub is all about." How many people will WoW bleed before they realize they're living on borrowed time?

TVexperto

Asmongold is a popular WOW streamer who is known for his harsh criticism of Blizzard. He recently decided to give FFXIV a try, prompting many haters on Twitter to clamor for his removal from the game. In this context, Blizzard Lead Product Manager Adam Holisky endorsed a tweet by one such Twitter user who was openly instigating a harassment campaign against Asmongold. Said Twitter user asked his followers to keep reporting Asmongold in order to run him off quickly.

XDSmGAC.png

As a Blizzard employee, insulting your customers is one thing, but condoning their harassment is really crossing a line. If that mindset is in any shape or form representative of Blizzard's current corporate culture, is it any wonder they are slowly circling down the drain? Think of Asmongold what you will, but he's certainly never harmed anybody or engaged in the kind of disgusting ostracism on display here.

I'll let Asmongold speak for himself. His response is mature, level-headed and says it all really:

Let me just say as a FFXIV player, that he's certainly welcomed to play the game and I hope he enjoys it as much as I do. I know many people in the game who are happy to see him try it out.

P.S.: Like Asmongold said, don't engage or harass these people over social media. While I think their behavior towards Asmongold is horrific, I wish them no harm and we should not stoop down to their level. Critical discussion and valid criticism in this thread is fine though.

people friendly furry ... what the fuck

Dynasty8

Not trying to be a hater...but I honestly can't take you seriously if you use pronouns in your Twitter bio. Like what does being a "furry" even mean?

More power to Asmon though. Glad he's enjoying the game.

treemk

Banned
Blizzard isn't willing to admit how much pull influencers such as Asmon have with WoW and other games. One person going to the forums saying they're quitting WoW and going to FFXIV means nothing to Blizzard. Seeing someone such as Asmon publicly saying the same thing should send shockwaves of panic through BizzHQ due to all the people who've never played FFXIV now saying "Well, maybe I should try it too." that would've never have tried it otherwise. You couple that with all the other "normal" people you've watch leave WoW (either forum posts or you knew in game) that have done the same and you have them thinking, "Well, let's see what the hubbub is all about." How many people will WoW bleed before they realize they're living on borrowed time?

The thing is his pull comes from honest feedback that is never overly negative and is rooted in a genuine desire for the game to be good. That is why his criticism mixed with blizzards denial is so devastating, the game just keeps getting worse and it seems everyone but blizz knows it.

East of Odessa

Neo Member
A quick scroll through LinkedIn shows Blizzard employees leaving the ship in droves.

Company will survive, but the ones that remain - well, this is proof positive of what the bottom of the barrel gets you.

Activision's "golden touch" once again brings blight and disease to all it caresses.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
More people are watching him than people are watching Games Done Quick. That's kind of funny to me.

GDQ fell off for years already. Overly strict assholes with bland, or little to no humor. I wish a better version of it would reveal itself. GDQ is so damned stale. I miss when it was cringe and genuine on that old ass couch with Blue glAss in tow, annoying the shit out of half the people while making the other half laugh. They keep banning people from the event for the stupidest shit.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
According to some people I know who played WoW from day one, Blizzard employees related with that game (forum moderators, community managers, even lead devs) have always been unprofessional, rude, and petty with their customers. So nothing new.

I am not familiar with this streamer but good for him for switching to FF XIV - it is shockingly better and more enjoyable than WoW.

ShadowLag

GDQ fell off for years already. Overly strict assholes with bland, or little to no humor. I wish a better version of it would reveal itself. GDQ is so damned stale. I miss when it was cringe and genuine on that old ass couch with Blue glAss in tow, annoying the shit out of half the people while making the other half laugh. They keep banning people from the event for the stupidest shit.

jKO5aeV.gif

ZWB39AX.gif

The GOAT. How the Internet has fallen since then...

Last edited:
Top Bottom