• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boomberg: Sony Hits Pause on PSVR2 Production as Unsold Inventory Piles Up

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sony Hits Pause on PSVR2 Production as Unsold Inventory Piles Up​

• $550 accessory has suffered from lack of compelling content
  • Sony testing PC compatibility to expand gadget’s appeal
Sony Group Corp. has paused production of its PSVR2 headset until it clears a backlog of unsold units, according to people familiar with its plans, adding to doubts about the appeal of virtual reality gadgets.

Sales of the $550 wearable accessory to the PlayStation 5 have slowed progressively since its launch and stocks of the device are building up, according to the people, who asked not to be named as the information is not public. Sony has produced well over 2 million units of the product launched in February of last year, the people said.

image.png

Last edited:

Kabelly

A peripheral for an expensive as fuck console that costs MORE than the expensive as fuck console. Sony is bugging if they think I'm paying 1200 to try an unsupported platform. What were they thinking with that price. I knew Sony was gonna drop the ball. These companies just have to suck it up for a few years and really invest in the games for these new platforms. They can't coast of of third parties indies. They released Horizon. Okay now what? What big Sony first party game is going to come to their new $600 console peripheral.

edit: oh also, isn't this thing wired? get in with the times i guess.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
what happened to those posters that were utterly convinced this was going to be a game changer?
Sony posted a graph showing the first couple months’ sales vs PSVR1 to show that it was selling better, but the graphs looked like they’d cross in the next month or two and PSVR2 would drop behind.

I got laughed out of the PSVR2 thread when I pointed this out. Just wanted to say: I told you so.

pqueue

Sony posted a graph showing the first couple months’ sales vs PSVR1 to show that it was selling better, but the graphs looked like they’d cross in the next month or two and PSVR2 would drop behind.

I got laughed out of the PSVR2 thread when I pointed this out. Just wanted to say: I told you so.
yeah.

that said, once it drops $200 AND gets PC support, I will be all over this.

Belthazar

This entire venture into VR was a mistake. I honestly don't know what's happening to Sony lately. It seems like all they're doing is wasting resources while delivering next to nothing. I love my PlayStation 5, but it's been a while since I loved a PlayStation Studios game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$750 CDN. Crazy.

You could tell PSVR2 has sold crap. The last time they mentioned unit sales was when it did 600,000 in the first few months. Since then nada. Not even a 1,000,000 milestone sales achievement and they had the entire rest of year and Xmas to sell.

Highly unlikely it's even sold 1M units. No doubt thats why it's pivoting to PC support. PC is where VR thrives, so pending how well received PC gamers take to PSVR2, sales might shoot up.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This entire venture into VR was a mistake. I honestly don't know what's happening to Sony lately. It seems like all they're doing is wasting resources while delivering next to nothing. I love my PlayStation 5, but it's been a while since I loved a PlayStation Studios game.
They had PSVR1 that sold around 5M units across 100+M PS4s. It had an attach rate of about 4%. Not exactly blockbuster sales.

Since then PC VR ramped up a lot. So what Sony did in their boardroom chats was use 4% as a benchmark floor, add in the PC VR ramp up as general industry trending and assumed PSVR2 sales would shoot up to like 10 or 20%. Trust me, I see this type of shit in boardroom meetings all the time where a marketing manager who is in charge of a product line does their internal sales pitch trying to convince the entire room the product in their powerpoint presentation will be a home run.

One thing you will never see in an internal pitch is the product line doing worse than the old products. It's always pitched bigger and better with a giant smile on their face like they are used car salesman, but oddly this is selling to their own internal execs. In reality new products bomb half the time.

"Hi everyone..... as you can see historic sales are X, and the VR category is growing at Y %. So based on our estimates our 3 year trend leads to this line graph of XYZ units"

Tip for all: If you ever sit in a brand manager's product meetings, never believe one data point in those slides unless they (or you) can confirm the numbers as accurate or logical/reasonable. If you dont and just blindly believe the slides, half the time it's made up numbers from their ass.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
A peripheral for an expensive as fuck console that costs MORE than the expensive as fuck console. Sony is bugging if they think I'm paying 1200 to try an unsupported platform. What were they thinking with that price. I knew Sony was gonna drop the ball. These companies just have to suck it up for a few years and really invest in the games for these new platforms. They can't coast of of third parties indies. They released Horizon. Okay now what? What big Sony first party game is going to come to their new $600 console peripheral.

edit: oh also, isn't this thing wired? get in with the times i guess.
And Horizon Call of Mountain is Fuck1ng boring.... Mountain Climbing Simulator

bitbydeath

PC support won’t save it, it needs to be completely disconnected from any platform in order to compete with Meta Quest. PC is just another anchor.

Top Bottom