• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boomberg: Sony Hits Pause on PSVR2 Production as Unsold Inventory Piles Up

MayauMiao

Not surprise at all considering the first VR brings little value to the platform. I don't even bother to borrow one from my brother, who also stop using it.

Cyberpunkd

Humans see what they want to see.
Get Ready Thirst GIF by BuzzFeed

What were they expecting? It's a niche product, it won't sell great. It also doesn't matter how many games you release for it. It remains niche.
3 reasons it don’t sell,

Price
Software
It’s big and heavy

Pc support is not gonna change much, look at all the other pc headsets,

Maybe they will try again next gen, when all the issues are fixed.
Price and weight have nothing to do with it. Not many people are interested in VR and restricting it to the PS5 which was still not readily available when this headset came out for sure did not help.

consoul

Breaking: Guy with history of churning out Sony hit pieces for clicks produces another one.

Here's an alternate headline shamelessly biased in the other direction:
PSVR2 manufacturing pipeline so efficient it outpaces demand.

Of course they're not going to keep producing units surplus to demand. Sony have strategic reasons for progressing VR tech beyond PSVR2 (as demonstrated by their partnership with Apple). It's a niche product for a limited base. So is Portal. Neither will sink the company if they stay niche, so what's the harm?

I like that Playstation is willing to throw some ideas out there that won't necessarily be mainstream successes. They've become less experimental and more risk averse each generation. I hope they keep giving fringe ideas a shot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
VR is a niche, single-platform console VR is a sliver of a niche!

Soon as they open it up to PC they'll shift their inventory easily I think.

xrnzaaas

It's hilarious to me that if you look at the first year Sony has done an even worse job promoting and supporting this thing than with PSVR1. We got one Horizon game, several indie exclusives, VR modes for GT7 & two RE games and that's it. Plus no backwards compatibility so you have to count on the devs to release new versions... and all of that for the same price as the console.

Meta devices may not get many "big" VR games like Horizon or Gran Turismo 7 VR, but at least there's a steady stream of new titles and most of all you can play all Quest 2 games on Quest 3.

Vick

You make one of the very few OLED VR sets, pack it with better tech than alternatives costing twice as much, a simple and quick update would make it the only VR set connectable to a 3D Blu-Ray player now that 3D TVs are no longer produced and thousands of people lack official ways to watch their collection of 3D movies to the point a simple and basic head mounted display like Cinera amassed more a million dollar funding while costing twice as much as the PSVR2 for the ONLY reason of being able to read 3D BD (and turned out to be a scam in the first place).

GJGq8ly.jpg

You have press asking you to add 3D BD support, petitions begging you to add 3D BD support, you have millionaires on enthusiast home theatre forums claiming PSVR 2 would be the definitive way to watch 3D BD..

You decide a simple PS5 Update like PS3 and PS4 received to read 3D BD isn't worth it.

2zutki.jpg

You now lack sales because of no support and no backwards compatibility.. and you still refuse to open the gates to a niche of tens of thousands of people eager to purchase your product.

retard.gif

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Let VR burn. It's the 3D TV again and again. Dead tech and will be for a long time.
First person games in VR is hands-down the best way to experience First person gaming.

The tech isn't the issue, it's pricing, marketing and support.

And that goes for any VR device. What it needs is proper full-fledged games and not glorified tech-demoes, which 90% of the VR games basically are, no matter the platform.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
[/QUOTE]
What were they expecting? It's a niche product, it won't sell great. It also doesn't matter how many games you release for it. It remains niche.

Price and weight have nothing to do with it. Not many people are interested in VR and restricting it to the PS5 which was still not readily available when this headset came out for sure did not help.

You cannot release a product with ZERO marketing. That was baffling to me, and I knew it would fail. Couple that with the price entry, lack of support or even backwards compatibility, and it was obvious it would fail, even to the layman.

Yes, price absolutely mattered here, and so did the lack of ANY support. It’s a big market, so something ridiculous for you to write.

VR is a niche, single-platform console VR is a sliver of a niche!

Soon as they open it up to PC they'll shift their inventory easily I think.

It won’t be enough. By the time they open it up to PC, it will be outdated and overpriced compared to competitors, maybe if they also slashed prices, which would be catastrophic due to likely low margins on the product.

They should have waited to get into VR until they had more compelling, cheaper tech with a boatload of software. They should also have made it a stand alone device to compete with Valve and Meta.

There’s a reason Valve is dragging feet on the Deckard: the tech is still years away.

I said this before it was released and got lambasted. Nobody wants to connect VR to something else. It doesn’t matter how powerful it is. That’s why the Quest blows this out of the water, and why the PSVR2 was/is guaranteed to fail.
Poppyseed, keep your receipts like I be doing..

vTnrpRI.jpg

I noticed there are posters that like to shift the goal post to dodge accountability on this board.

Tsaki

What a failure... Hopefully Sony takes the right lessons from it and not develop a Vita 2. The time of platform holders supporting two platforms is long gone; Nintendo realised it.

FingerBang

No fucking shit

Awful support. I don't understand what the hell they're doing with this thing. Why did they even release it?

Looking forward to the PC support, but come the fuck on, what a joke.

They should have waited to get into VR until they had more compelling, cheaper tech with a boatload of software. They should also have made it a stand alone device to compete with Valve and Meta.

There’s a reason Valve is dragging feet on the Deckard: the tech is still years away.
Knowing Valve for a very long time I would not be surprised at all if they abandon VR, I hope I’m wrong because the authentic fans of Valve are going to be shit out of luck again while the fanboys feast for the next Valve fix.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Meta devices may not get many "big" VR games like Horizon or Gran Turismo 7 VR

No, they get the biggest VR exclusives actually. Asgard's Wrath II is one of the biggest VR games ever and it's not on PSVR2. Quest also has the VR Assassin's Creed game, PSVR2 doesn't. PSVR2 is a $550 paper weight and I regret buying it.

Hudo

Should've made it more flexible, hook it up to your ps5...your ps4...your PC...standalone...its own apps and OS. I'd buy it then.
I agree. But I don't think PSVR2 needs to be standalone. It just needs to be open to PC and be reasonably priced. This thing should not cost more than $360.

That Sony thought they could sell this for more than the PS5 while also requiring a PS5 is crazy.

Celine

I'm actually stunned SIE could ship that many PSVR2 units as indicated by the IDC estimates (~1.7M).
PSVR2 sell-through was already mediocre at launch but totally collapsed in the following quarters.
I'm wondering how many headsets are stuck in the channel...

PSVR2 got Vita'd.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

No one is arguing that the PSVR2 sells well enough, but the last two times Bloomberg reported numbers on PSVR2 they were complete BS (they said 300k units were sold in 3 months when Sony officially announced 600k+ in 6 weeks)

And on the last report we got on PSVR2 market share in VR, it did not seem as bad as what this article is refering to. Like not at all.

So yeah, big grain of salt here.

And Sony, move your ****** ass.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The timing and execution of the PSVR2 did not make a lot of sense, and everyone that knew a little bit about the scene warned about the outcome. I'm a seated/cockpit-only VR enthusiast, so tethered doesn't bother me at all. But for the average consumer.., bulky AF, tethered, walled garden, no games. What did Sony expect (sales for some reason).

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I don’t think PC compatibility can even save it at this point, why would you buy it over a Quest 3 if you want to use for PC?

Quest 3 gives you access to standalone use, wireless PC use, exclusive Quest 3 games, better mixed reality. PSVR2 has the controllers and foveated rendering, both of which are unlikely to be supported when using as a PC headset.

Unless PSVR2 somehow becomes a lot cheaper it won’t move many units on the PC market.

cireza

Now Sony give us properly handheld
They have been demonstrating they don't know how to support a secondary product pretty much since the days of the PSP. They need to stop or be serious about it, but it requires understanding the targeted market which they were never able to achieve.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Knowing Valve for a very long time I would not be surprised at all if they abandon VR, I hope I’m wrong because the authentic fans of Valve are going to be shit out of luck again while the fanboys feast for the next Valve fix.

There’s a near zero chance of that happening so long as Gabe Newell is there.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So even during Xmas 2023 quarter, it shipped the least quarterly Wow. While Meta shipped the most.

PSVR2 sold like 3.2% compare to Quest 2 and 3 (on Amazon US) while shipping 25% of Quest 2 & 3’s volumes.

psvr-2-holiday-2023-sales-units.png

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe they should make some games for it. But of course, they don't want to waste resources making games for hardware that isn't selling. And why isn't it selling? Because they're not making games for it that would make people want to buy it. Hmm hmm.

Last edited:

Beechos

Nothing will save it at this point. No games to take advantage of the added power. Most games were ports all old oculus and pc vr games.

Top Bottom