• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie's Next Project - 'New Halo 3 Campaign Experience'

Aaron

GhaleonEB said:
You must be one year old then. :p

Bungie has three projects in the works, in addition to new Halo 3 maps. This is one. Halo 3 only came out one year ago.
My point was the whole Halo franchise and the games and map packs that have followed, with not a hint of these other projects they have been mentioning for years. Whatever this is might be a big change up to make it worthwhile, but I was really hoping this would lead to something non-Halo for once.

yeah, not too stoked without MC...

I dunno, just doesnt have the same feel without MC.

Its more like Half Life without the Freeman.

Just not gonna be as good :(

clashfan

NarcissisticJay said:

Interesting analogy because the most interesting character in HL is Alyx...

NarcissisticJay said:

Who said he isn't in the game?

Really, the speculations are just speculations. Not much can be made up for sure with such a teaser. God I really hate teaser trailers, they have no meaning, just show a real trailer, or info, but not this shit.

GhaleonEB

Aaron said:
My point was the whole Halo franchise and the games and map packs that have followed, with not a hint of these other projects they have been mentioning for years. Whatever this is might be a big change up to make it worthwhile, but I was really hoping this would lead to something non-Halo for once.
We know what happened to those other projects. Most of them canceled and the teams were subsumed into the Halo projects. Bungie had one project moving along in parallel to Halo 3. And they hired the Ghost Recon guy for a future project (not this one).

Bungie has been up front that they have three projects in the works. They didn't really ramp up in production until a year ago. Given that Bungie's last three games all took three years each to make, I'm not expecting the others to see release until late next year, at the earliest. It's just too early to show that kind of stuff.

clashfan said:
Interesting analogy because the most interesting character in HL is Alyx...

MC and Freeman interact with the player *about* on the same wavelength.. quiet, yet powerful. Mysterious, yet you feel like you know them.

Something about the quiet hero I enjoy, everything else we have is so loud in your face.

I agree with you on Alyx, making the comparison of the playable characters was my point.

Mr. Durden said:
Who said he isn't in the game?

Really, the speculations are just speculations. Not much can be made up for sure with such a teaser. God I really hate teaser trailers, they have no meaning, just show a real trailer, or info, but not this shit.

Here's hoping.

Walshicus

NarcissisticJay said:

Disagree so much here. No reason for the Chief to be in this, and it would be worse if he was. We know his perspective. I want to see a new one.

Spasm

Sir Fragula said:
Disagree so much here. No reason for the Chief to be in this, and it would be worse if he was. We know his perspective. I want to see a new one.
I agree with this. The Halo universe is so deep, rich, detailed and layered, that it'd be foolish to assume that MC is the only hero with a story to tell. It'd be a crime for Bungie to NOT show us another corner of the tapestry.

NarcissisticJay said:

Half Life: Opposing Force and Blue Shift were just as great as Half Life.

So where's your point now?

Sir Fragula said:

I agree, the halo universe is a lot bigger than the Chief... even if he is the #1 hero of earth, there's going to be others out there doing interesting things worth playing.

NarcissisticJay said:

The irony here is that Opposing Force is on a level per level basis the best game in the Half-Life series.

Walshicus

Not to sound like a broken record, but seriously, why wouldn't Major Nelson have made a post about the release of a teaser to what is likely to be the biggest game Microsoft Game Studios will publish in the medium term?

Given the trivia he normally lets through, this baffles me.

NarcissisticJay said:

Spot the guy who's never played Opposing Force. That's one of the best shooters ever made. It's a pity it's not mentioned more often when people reminisce about past games. I thought the Arbiter missions in Halo 2 were pretty good too (I am very aware I may be in a small minority though).

alexh

This just in..

In a surprise move, Bungie has announced that the new campaign experience is an additional 10 hours of game play for the "Cortana" level.

oh even more

They've also upped the damage for things on the wall that crawl around and shoot carbine like projectiles.

Bungie was reported as saying, "MOAR FLUD."

Take this as you will.

alexh said:
This just in..

lolll.jpg

raYne

alexh said:
This just in..
:lol Were that to happen, I'd expect mass suicides aplenty.

Still don't know how the hell that level got approved. What with the layout, enemies (sniper flood, bleh) and doubling up on the already annoying as hell game interrupting messages by having Cortana & Gravemind stopping you constantly.

Worst level ever.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Spot the guy who's never played Opposing Force. That's one of the best shooters ever made. It's a pity it's not mentioned more often when people reminisce about past games. I thought the Arbiter missions in Halo 2 were pretty good too (I am very aware I may be in a small minority though).

k.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dax01 said:
Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy fighting the Flood.
Go play Serious Sam, then.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
One thing that doesn't make sense in this video: The slip-space explosion is nowhere near the space tether. In the cutscene in Halo 2, they were right next to the space tether. Maybe the explosion isn't from Regret at all.

Also, the explosion was bigger in Halo 2. So it could just be a small detail they changed.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dax01 said:
It has hordes of enemies with no A.I. charging you, if that's your thing. I just wish they'd keep that shit out of Halo.
"We have great A.I., so what should we do with it?"
"Let's not use it for a few levels."
"Sounds like a plan."
Gaaaaahhhhh...

Sir Fragula said:
The "do you like games?" lines from Cortana in... the level Cortana, for instance.

Not even that. The whole Pillar of Autumn escaping from reach scene in the first halo as well. Thats tied in from the book. Not to mention Lord Hoods references to Reach and cortans references to High Charity. We learned of high charity way before halo 2, from the books.

Chowfahn said:
One thing that doesn't make sense in this video: The slip-space explosion is nowhere near the space tether. In the cutscene in Halo 2, they were right next to the space tether. Maybe the explosion isn't from Regret at all.

Also, the explosion was bigger in Halo 2. So it could just be a small detail they changed.
We dont see it expand further out like we did in halo 2 because the camera gets tooken offline. Yah it does go toward the tether.

TAJ said:
It has hordes of enemies with no A.I. charging you, if that's your thing. I just wish they'd keep that shit out of Halo.
"We have great A.I., so what should we do with it?"
"Let's not use it for a few levels."
"Sounds like a plan."
Gaaaaahhhhh...
Level design also comes into play, as well as the types of Flood you are fighting against. The Flood are fun to fight against.

Mr Jared

Revelations said:
Not even that. The whole Pillar of Autumn escaping from reach scene in the first halo as well. Thats tied in from the book. Not to mention Lord Hoods references to Reach and cortans references to High Charity. We learned of high charity way before halo 2 in the books.

Halo 3 also opened with a Fall of Reach reference.

"They let me pick. Did you know that?"

So yeah, there's tons of nods to the novels throughout the series. They be canon.

RpgN

I haven't been following this countdown. Is this Halo 3 Campaign Experience a new version of the game or just something to do with new online levels?

Spasm

I love the flood. It's like setting fire to your pants while playing Halo. There's so many "OH SHIT I'M DEAD OH GOD HELP FUCK FUCK WTF HALP... Whew... I can't believe I lived." moments, it's glorious. It's a refreshing change from the "Pew pew! <take cover> Pew pew!" formula of fighting the Cov.

If Keep it Clean is a mix between Halo and Smash T.V. with nothing but Flood, I will pay serious cash monies. I mean, Gears 2 is doing it.

-Spasm, Library/Flood Defense Force card-carrying member since 2001.

Edit: It's funny you guys keep mentioning Serious Sam. Every time a grunt is chasing my buddy with two live plasma grenades, I'm all, "You're getting Serious Sammed!"

GhaleonEB

subrock said:
no mention of the prophets ship in the BG? I would say that the "not dissimilar" explosion is the self same when you see the ship sitting there behind a building. good read tho.
He calls that out specifically, and includes a screen shot:

Keen observers have also noticed the darkened visage of a Covenant assault carrier which looms in the distance, moving behind the skyscrapers near the heart of the city and its space tether. Although the teaser offers nothing more about it at this time, later we discover whose vessel it is and what it was doing.

carrier.jpg

Some additional detail from the second page:

When this happens and the shot shifts to the previous Tanaga camera, a massive bloom of energy off to the left begins to shake the camera, jarring the graphical user interface of the construct’s monitoring system. The “explosion” of sorts is not dissimilar to another one we’ve already seen: Halo 2’s slipspace event. Shortly after the Chief eliminates the threat of the Scarab, Commander Miranda Keyes follows the Prophet of Regret with her own frigate, pushing through the same slipspace rupture that the Covenant leader broke open while just above the city of New Mombasa.

The Superintendent’s camera unhinges, twisting under the duress of the slipspace rupture and then finally powering off. A quick flash of imagery shows the HEVs blazing down into the city as the entire area is consumed by the energy disbursement from the Prophet of Regret’s jump. For several seconds, the screen goes black and the audience of the trailer is left wondering what has taken place.
He just takes his time saying it. Because he's so damn vociferous.

szaromir

Banned
Shit, I hoped they would show more of this game/expansion today. To strike the iron while it's hot etc. If they wait too long, it'll kill the effects of buzz created by this teaser.

Top Bottom