• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 for GameCube!

Shiggy

According to the German CUBE magazine, Burnout 3 will come to the GameCube. EA wants to release it a bit later.

Please, please, please.

Isn't this the exact same thing what happend with Burnout 2? I bought it for 72$ and I want a sequel.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
With all of the "Burnout 3 for Cube"-related threads we've had, you'd think it would be a million seller upon its release.

Mashing

It'll reach a million accross all platforms easy... it's being pimped pretty heavily by the media and gamers alike.

Grubdog

Banned
Argh, if a GCN version of Burnout 3 is coming, then I hope they announce it before the PS2 version comes out, so I can wait for the GCN version. But they won't, and people like me will buy the PS2 version, and then later they'll wonder why the GCN version didn't sell very well, then they'll drop more GCN support... or not. =P

This isn't cool. :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Never have I seen so much longing for what clearly will be the worst version of the game (if it's ever made, that is)

Bigfoot

Marconelly said:
Never have I seen so much longing for what clearly will be the worst version of the game (if it's ever made, that is)
I don't know about that. With Burnout 2, each version got better as it was released (Xbox > GC >>> PS2). It wasn't just a crappy port. If you are talking online, that's your opinion, but I still play buy my console games for single and multiplayer.

Mashing

Yup.. and besides, and this is debatable, the crash mode is what the game is all about... and that's easily as enjoyable as the online mode. The only difference is that you're playing the crash mode with strangers/friends over the internet or you're playing the crash mode with friends in real life... I really don't see how it loses much when you look at it that way.

Mashing said:
Yup.. and besides, and this is debatable, the crash mode is what the game is all about... and that's easily as enjoyable as the online mode. The only difference is that you're playing the crash mode with strangers/friends over the internet or you're playing the crash mode with friends in real life... I really don't see how it loses much when you look at it that way.

Crash mode + online play > Crash mode - online play.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know about that. With Burnout 2, each version got better as it was released (Xbox > GC >>> PS2). It wasn't just a crappy port. If you are talking online, that's your opinion, but I still play buy my console games for single and multiplayer.
With BO2, it was more like Xbox > GC = PS2 (unless you think couple more crash levels equals to >>>). Throw in an obvious lack of online mode for BO3, and you get the idea.

Prine

Banned
Never really played Crash mode, got old real quick. I enjoyed 2 player racing with my friends. Now its aggressive racing with 8 friends, its going to be insane.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mashing said:
Yup.. and besides, and this is debatable, the crash mode is what the game is all about...
That IS *very* debatable. Crash mode was definitely a cool addition in BO2, but it was an *addition* to the series.

In any case, best of luck to the GC in getting a version of this. Criterion is one studio that goes the extra mile when porting a game. Online or not, I'd hate to miss this game.

Mashing

So is the only reason online is greater than offline is because it's convient?

For instance would you choose 8 player online over the internet or 8 player in a lan party environment?

Is it possible in your mind for an offline mode to be greater than an online mode?

ge-man

I would be nice of them to make some kind of announcement. Multiplatform gamers might want to make a more informed decision rather than breakdown and buy a version they might not want in the end (this is assuming that a late port might sport more original content in lieu of an online option).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is it possible in your mind for an offline mode to be greater than an online mode?
Playing a game on a quarter of the TV sceen is never too great, but really, so what if offline multiplayer can be beter? It's not like Xbox and PS2 version will lack the ability to have offline multiplayer matches in addition to online modes. Also, good luck getting eight player races running offline.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, Marco is correct about BO2...

I can't even begin to imagine why BO2 GC is >>> than the PS2 version. They LOOK the same and have most of the same features (very minor additions were made to the GC version). The XBOX version, on the other hand, recieved improved visuals, custom soundtracks, and more. Still nothing massive, but enough to place it ahead of the other two.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mashing said:
So is the only reason online is greater than offline is because it's convient?
It's more than convenience for some of us: it's a necessity if I want to play multiplayer. I don't have any game playing friends who live nearby and I keep different hours anyway, so being able to go online and find opponents across time zones is a boon if I want the multiplayer experience.

Solid

dark10x said:
The XBOX version, on the other hand, recieved improved visuals, custom soundtracks, and more. Still nothing massive, but enough to place it ahead of the other two.
That's true. I bought Burnout 2 two weeks ago. I took the Xbox version over the PS2 ditto. I can't say I regret it :D

New and exclusive content for Xbox(tm) version:

- 15 additional Crash mode junctions - the world's favourite Burnout mode just got bigger. The 'Crash for Cash' mode is now bigger and better, with 15 brand new dangerous Crash junctions. Double the madness. Double the carnage. Double the insurance premiums.

- Extra decal sets available for all Custom Series cars - Four additional custom decal sets are selectable for all CS vehicles e.g. 'Red Dragon' and 'Union Jack' decal sets only available in Xbox version.

- Increased polygon count on ALL player cars - utilizing the extra graphical power available on the Xbox - vehicles have more than twice the detail than in the PS2 version.

- Real-time cubic environment mapping - all vehicles reflect the game world making the vehicles look much more realistic.

- Custom soundtracks option - this allows you to create your own Burnout 2 soundtrack, choosing the specially composed original music for Burnout 2 - or any of your own music you've stored on the Xbox hard disk.

- In-game real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 audio - experience Burnout 2 like never before. Dolby Digital 5.1 provides the ultimate Burnout 2 experience. Feel the roar of the traffic as 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound give the most exciting and entertaining racing experience yet.

http://www.acclaim.com/games/burnout2/features/index.html

Just to let you know... Burnout 2 (GC) has all the extra crash mode levels just the Xbox version has and does look slightly better then the ps2 version. So, in essence it is better then the ps2 version... Xbox version is still best though. (graphics + custom soundtracks)

For crash mode extras alone the GC version>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ps2 version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
clipunderground said:
Just to let you know... Burnout 2 (GC) has all the extra crash mode levels just the Xbox version has and does look slightly better then the ps2 version. So, in essence it is better then the ps2 version... Xbox version is still best though. (graphics + custom soundtracks)

It doesn't look any better, though. No graphical additions were made to the GC version and both versions run at 480p (so image quality can't come into play here). I think some people say "slightly better" just because it is a more powerful machine and they ASSUME it is. In this case, that's just not true.

ge-man

Crash mode seemed to be the only true enhancement. The IGN head-to-head even suggests that the PS2 version looks slightly better with bloom lighting and reflections being less dull.

I could less about all the stuff in the end, they all looked largely comparable and I doubt that there would be much of change in the latest game. I'd just like to which platforms the game is really going come out on, and I'd like to know what kind of content will be provided.

crash mode alone makes the game a better buy.

Anyway, according to IGN, the game controls better on the cube, and has an additional 15 crash modes. Graphically though your probably right (my tv is much better then my brothers, who has the ps2 version), they're pretty much the same.

BeOnEdge

Banned
and i quote from a developer at e3...

"we're rebuilt the game considerably, focusing on its multiplayer online aspects."

why do people still fail to understand that the GC just doesnt fit into that picture?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BeOnEdge said:
and i quote from a developer at e3...

"we're rebuilt the game considerably, focusing on its multiplayer online aspects."

why do people still fail to understand that the GC just doesnt fit into that picture?
If GameCube really is getting a port of the game, and Criterion really is behind it, maybe they will flesh out the single player mode a bit to balance it out, especially since (if I'm not mistaken, but I'll gladly retract this if I am) the other games in the series did pretty well for third-party GC games.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I asked Alex Ward at the EA booth specifically about the GC version and he said no-no 'cos the game has been conceived with online gaming in mind.

BeOnEdge

Banned
human5892 said:
If GameCube really is getting a port of the game, and Criterion really is behind it, maybe they will flesh out the single player mode a bit to balance it out, especially since (if I'm not mistaken, but I'll gladly retract this if I am) the other games in the series did pretty well for third-party GC games.

this is another game that falls into what i'll call the pandora category since SCPT was the first game where online play was like 1/2 the fun of the game. BO3 will suffer the same fate wether it be ending up not being released or wether it being GC fans paying full price for 1/2 the game. why? why pay for 1/2 the game just to be loyal to your gamecube?

TTP said:
I asked Alex Ward at the EA booth specifically about the GC version and he said no-no 'cos the game has been conceived with online gaming in mind.

That is the shittiest excuse ever. I can get along just fine without playing BurnOut 3 online. As a matter of fact, I really don't give a rats ass about racing online even if it was included. Just give me the fucking single player game damn it!!! >:|

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BeOnEdge said:
this is another game that falls into what i'll call the pandora category since SCPT was the first game where online play was like 1/2 the fun of the game. BO3 will suffer the same fate wether it be ending up not being released or wether it being GC fans paying full price for 1/2 the game. why? why pay for 1/2 the game just to be loyal to your gamecube?
Well, it goes without saying that if you have another console, the GC version of Burnout 3 probably isn't for you. I was just speculating that perhaps Criterion, having a history of well-done ports, would throw GC-only owners a bone by beefing up the port a bit (assuming they are behind it and it's even being done).

BeOnEdge said:

Well they should have heard about LAN which ends up giving players a chance to play it online, like TS3 there's really no excuse for not doing it.

TTP said:

So if that's the reason, then whats the excuse for no GC version of Black? Is this a very centric online game too?

Matlock

Banned
dark10x said:
It doesn't look any better, though. No graphical additions were made to the GC version and both versions run at 480p (so image quality can't come into play here). I think some people say "slightly better" just because it is a more powerful machine and they ASSUME it is. In this case, that's just not true.

Actually, I've seen both running extensively. As per usual, the GameCube version is slightly less jaggied, making it look better in my book. :p

BeOnEdge

Banned
Bluemercury said:
Well they should have heard about LAN which ends up giving players a chance to play it online, like TS3 there's really no excuse for not doing it.

how many GC broadband adapters have been sold? how many of those are even being used? why waste time adding LAN play when theres a "chance" that no one will use it? As far as "beefing up" a possible GC version, Its possible and would be cool for GC only gamers but what could you add to make up for the lack on an online component? a nintendo sponsered street racer? :)

The german Cube is like Sp*ng. A friend of mine has the issue and says, there's no confirmation from EA in the mag. The chief-editor only thinks in his editorial on page 3 that EA may release it. But no confirmation, no word from EA, no preview, nothing.

ge-man

I think is safe to say that B3 is not coming to GC. EA would've said something by now--they won't refuse an opppurtunity to port unless it isn't worthwhile.

BeOnEdge said:
how many GC broadband adapters have been sold? how many of those are even being used? why waste time adding LAN play when theres a "chance" that no one will use it? As far as "beefing up" a possible GC version, Its possible and would be cool for GC only gamers but what could you add to make up for the lack on an online component? a nintendo sponsered street racer? :)

Does that really matter?i can ask you how many people will play it online on ps2 and xbox, because i bet with you that there wont be that many.......going by their excuse for not making a GC version because its made with online in mind then those pple who dont have online adaptors at home wont play it?its just an excuse......

Bluemercury said:
Does that really matter?i can ask you how many people will play it online on ps2 and xbox, because i bet with you that there wont be that many.......going by their excuse for not making a GC version because its made with online in mind then those pple who dont have online adaptors at home wont play it?its just an excuse......

Agreed. A fucking lame ass excuse too. What's the problem with having the whole game in single player mode? How am I missing a large piece of the game if I don't race people online?!! LAME.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Bluemercury said:
Does that really matter?i can ask you how many people will play it online on ps2 and xbox, because i bet with you that there wont be that many

u gotta be kidding me. i mean seriously. you REALLY can't be serious.

Top Bottom