• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty devs can't take a joke

Thirty7ven

Banned
Anybody surprised the devs of a certified smooth brain game canā€™t connect their neurons?

Iā€™m actually glad they canā€™t take the joke because the mind would boggle at devs who chose to work on COD and arenā€™t IQ simple.

The bad part? This smooth brain now works at Bungie? Sony dissolve that board asap.

TreyGarbo dev talking about user engagement? *beep beep* robot speaking. What the hell. Try making a piece of art you fucking hacks.

Last edited:
people coming together to defend cod brings a tear to my eye

GtbDqfV.jpg

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Somehow this year's CoD campaign took me about 8-9 hours, so I don't really get those jibes about how short it is. Seems much the same as all the previous ones.
Same, it took me longer, and I enjoyed it more than mwII campaign.

COD Zombies was the shit until Black Ops 4.
Disgusted Cat GIF

Cold war is peak zombies, everything that came before it just became confusing and convoluted, and the mechanics to actually play the story beats were more obfuscated and obscure with each newer entry; it's why treyarch killed it, when you have lore that's reach complexity on the level of dragon age, for a fucking zombie game, you know you've gone too far and fucked up.
Pushed the reset button for cold war to make zombies great again, and succeeded; greatest zombies shooter aside from maybe l4d.
Black ops 2024 is gonna be glorious.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Funny", said Ajinkya Limaye, a former Call of Duty developer at Infinity Ward that now works as a senior systems designer at Bungie.

Ah ok, now I understand why he might be unusually sensitive these days, all things considered.

Lol at Jez's screwy interpretation of Judge's joke as an attack on the developers. The virtue signaling is nauseating.

I love this post, 'cause I dont know if you are talking about GOW Ragnarok or COD, it works both ways

Aww but you're so much better than this buddy.

Hugare

Ah ok, now I understand why he might be unusually sensitive these days, all things considered.

Lol at Jez's screwy interpretation of Judge's joke as an attack on the developers. The virtue signaling is nauseating.

Aww but you're so much better than this buddy.
See my last post. I was only joking 'cause Ragnarok being a DLC was an ongoing joke for a while

Jeez, this is a Sony centric forum alright

LakeOf9

I'm genuinely curious, other than CoD (on which I'd agree).
I was making a joke about Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Tears of the Kingdom, and Spider-Man 2. I don't think any of them are actually DLC lol, and outright love three out of four, it just seemed like a good dig to get in

Did they really use the 'engagement' meme? Also, did Bungie devs chime in?

Okay, it's time to pray every night for these two abominations to finally die.

Fredrik

How big of a retard are you anyway when you bring in player retention as a metric for a single player game, lol
Player retention is used as metric all the time for certain single player games, when it fits the right agenda. Steam concurrent player dips are sometimes a hot subject. But I agree, itā€™s dumb. I drop 99% of all the games I play after a month, max, sometimes they last a weekend. If I play them longer it either means itā€™s a huge game or replayability is high as with RPGs where you can create a character and play again with a somewhat different experience.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Its funny because heā€™s not wrong, mw3 shouldve been given another year to cook.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
But they sure can ship a joke

jk Iā€™ve never played cod Iā€™m sure itā€™s fine

RavageX

The only reason they are bothered is because it is true. If your game sells despite this truth...why be offended? If you are bothered by this, then fix it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They're tripping over themselves to defend call of duty, the campaign no less.

This is too fucking funny. I'd like to see Xbox acquire EA, just to see this same level of white knighting for FIFA Ultimate Team.
It's sad that they are embarrassing themselves over such a universally mocked thing in Christmas 2020. But for some reason, CoD campaigns are great. šŸ¤”

When MS buy Sega (and I pray they don't), Sonic 2006 will get upgraded to underrated gem.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Tbh I enjoyed the campaign. HOWEVER, I don't mind the joke at all. Actually, I think it's fucking awesome. Because it'll keep living rent free in the devs minds and might help contribute to ensure we'll get a better longer campaign next time,

Last edited:

Umbral

Associate art director of fellow Call of Duty studio Treyarch Nelson Plumey weight in too: "Imagine having short user engagement once your game is consumed. Can't relate," they said.

So, you sell a product to be consumed and not something youā€™re passionate about. May as well be stamping out car hoods with a machine.

ā€œOur users are engaged and consuming our product.ā€ Congratulations, you fucking robot loser.

And this other guy with the metrics talk. Go fuck a spreadsheet, dork.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
S5m8xkU.gif

"We are not that kind of company"
Well, even if they weren't, I'm pretty sure everything that has been said, memed and written about this (not thinking about TGA per se) has led to several internal meetings about reconsidering strategies for the next title. If this doesn't move the needle, nothing will.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Fuck me... Do these whiners need the concept of jokes to be explained to them?

Not to mention none of their sad willy-waving over how well CoD sells disproves the premise. i.e. that Judge's infamously overlong acceptance speech was in fact longer than this years campaign! That it got a laugh proved the perception is that its disappointingly short.

So dumb.

damidu

lolol fucking losers! nice that they are getting the deserved dragging through the mud in replies

Last edited:

twilo99

Honestly I much rather play an action packed 8 hour campaign than a 40 hour Ubisoft open world game that is Nu God of War. Even the bosses are not even in the scale of GOW2 or 3 from the past. The Norse saga was disappointing as fuck.

I've read that a few times now and I don't get the reference? What has Ubisoft to do with GoW? Genuine question

A lot of fragile egos out there. I'm surprised no one pulled a Will Smith and jumped on stage to slap him.

There'd be a lot less drama if people just learned to laugh at themselves once in a while.

CoD games are fun for what they are. GoW games are fun for what they are.

hqg GIF

Sojiro

Oh boo fucking hoo ABK, it was a slight jab in jest, no need for the tears and the defensive as fuck tweets. And let's be honest, he ain't that wrong lol.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
BREH what is wrong with these guys. Your game is a Skinner box. Yeah people play it more but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s a higher quality product. I can but 200 hours in Diablo but I would not say it was better than bg3. Bringing up retention numbers like itā€™s a gotcha is so cringe. They are different products.
Are you talking about Destiny?

Top Bottom