• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cracks Down on Racial Slurs Used in Street Fighter 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Screenshot-2023-06-06-212301.png

As players jump into the game and engage with the community, they’ve encountered a pattern of racist and bigoted behavior.

Given the history of offensive language in gaming, one would expect that Capcom had put measures in place to mitigate such behavior.

351534255_641648338001419_7310795883374416261_n-1.jpg

The individual responsible for the offensive username has been banned for a considerable period of 200 years. Although it is not a permanent ban, it sends a clear message that such behavior will not be tolerated.

351700850_213304054927489_6219360056174457258_n.jpg

Last edited:

JCK75

Truth be told - they are always going to find a way to do this
IMO I don't even think these are people with actual racists ideals just idiot kids trying to go for maximum shock value

When they are not getting the sense they are getting under your skin they will eventually give it up.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Truth be told - they are always going to find a way to do this
IMO I don't even think these are people with actual racists ideals just idiot kids trying to go for maximum shock value

When they are not getting the sense they are getting under your skin they will eventually give it up.

I agree, they're still shitty people but everything is done (mostly) in an "edgy" and "HEY LOOK AT ME" way, also, i'd bet that these...fine individuals are mostly youngsters hence the idiotic/edgelord/shock behaviour.

Anyway, its absolutely NOT funny nor "entertaining" and this type of behaviour should be absolutely criticized and/or banned.

Christ, the times i've been called a nigger/Mexican/Wetback on Xbox live back in the good ol' Halo 3 /COD days soured me from online play up to this day.

I never understood this shit but, here we are...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Capcom should have a no tolerance policy for racism. Remember how FChamp was banned from playing at any Capcom sponsored tournaments for making fun of BLM on Twitter? It’s enough for people to lose sponsorships.

yurinka

Capcom should have a no tolerance policy for racism. Remember how FChamp was banned from playing at any Capcom sponsored tournaments for making fun of BLM on Twitter? It’s enough for people to lose sponsorships.
This example you mention shows they have a no tolerance policy. Regarding the usernames, maybe they very likely had a filter that failed due to a bug or something. If reported to them, they'll fix it.

But in the moment you allow users to introduce texts or images it's impossible to control that everyone is going to behave properly, people is going to find ways to avoid any censorship method included.

So I think that if people see these kind of things they should report these users -which I assume should be a residual tiny portion of the userbase- and moderation will make their job.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember in Socom people had legit funny names, not offensive ones just funny shit.
The best ones you couldn't even say without dropping yourself in it.
Newer generation has no imagination

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Surprised it launched without a catching algorithm like games have been doing for decade(s).

Cause people on the internet will never stop being dipshits.

CuNi

Such racial jokes are exactly as funny as the time it takes my mouse to move towards the report button.
I don't mind banter between friends in closed private groups (to each their own), but if you go public Jesus, try not to be a trash human.
I think worst of all is that most gaming media on YouTube, Twitch etc. promotes "shock" and toxic behavior "for the lulz".

I'm starting to think I have too much of a rosey picture of gamers, cause it seems like I don't play the stuff with all the racism coincidentally.

JCK75

Not familiar with the FGC?

Not really I don't like fighting games much, but I've dealt with these people in other types of games and their entire goal is to get you pissed off, emotional and unfocused on the game.

I'm starting to think I have too much of a rosey picture of gamers, cause it seems like I don't play the stuff with all the racism coincidentally.
Either that or you play games with good moderation systems. Japanese developers sometimes forget that once they release their games west, they introduce them to thousands of edgelords and racists.

The corrections and bans will happen eventually.

Old enough to be past being offended by words
If the world was full of NeoGAF posters, maybe. However, Capcom doesn't want this to spread and affect their money. You let one do it, more will come. Then it gets worse for their company and brand. Don't worry though Arcadialane Arcadialane , they will still make edgy and racist avatars with added plausible deniability.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Came into this thread about to bash woke flakes...

But ummmm... yeah that's pretty hectic 🤣 gamers, either complete racist retards or complete woke retards...

how a simple filter didn't make into the game is baffling.

Last edited:
Either that or you play games with good moderation systems. Japanese developers sometimes forget that once they release their games west, they introduce them to thousands of edgelords and racists.

The corrections and bans will happen eventually.
Come to think of it, outside of some VR games, rocket league, fall guys and bf2042 is most of what i've played online. So maybe just those games and VR games have been good about it? I'm not a huge MP person.

RavageX

Its that kinda stuff that put me off online play orginally. Outside of a game or two, I don't play online. Having a long day/night at work, coming home to relax and play online just to hear nonsense/racist/etc really killed it for me.

Mind you it wasnt and isnt always like that, but its enough that i just have very little interest in online play because of it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The real issue is conflation.

I don't think anyone here or there could really face Jesus Christ and say "I am deeply offended and concerned by this," It's pearl clutching. Yeah, it's a juvenile thing to do and it utilizes a racial slur, but Urmom69 probably isn't a race Warrior with the shrunken heads of every minority attached to his belt.

radewagon

The individual responsible for the offensive username has been banned for a considerable period of 200 years. Although it is not a permanent ban, it sends a clear message that such behavior will not be tolerated.
Slow Motion Yes GIF by MOODMAN

EDIT:

I don't think anyone here or there could really face Jesus Christ and say "I am deeply offended and concerned by this," It's pearl clutching. Yeah, it's a juvenile thing to do and it utilizes a racial slur, but Urmom69 probably isn't a race Warrior with the shrunken heads of every minority attached to his belt.

Bolding added by me. If I was playing alone, yeah, probs no big deal. But if I was playing and my daughter saw it.... yeah, man, I'd be deeply concerned. Look, man, some people just want to play games without being reminded of the all that racism in the world. Saying that people being offended or concerned are just clutching pearls is a pretty narrow way of looking at the various ways that racism affects different people. Just because the intent may be juvenile, doesn't mean the effect it can have on people is.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

2023: the year that SJWisms become so intense that there are seriously written pieces of journalism covering topics that would have, at best, gotten a LMFAO out of gamers in the early 00's.
It's also the year where instead of ignoring it, you share it on forums so that it can get more clicks and people can rage about it. Way to feed the algorithm people!

And I don't know that you can call a niche site like this "serious journalism".

Come to think of it, outside of some VR games, rocket league, fall guys and bf2042 is most of what i've played online. So maybe just those games and VR games have been good about it? I'm not a huge MP person.
Those are all western games too. So yea, you're experiencing better moderation. Exoprimal is probably going to run into the same issue as SF6.

This is why Nintendo just removes everything entirely and lets people call them 'out of touch'.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's also the year where instead of ignoring it, you share it on forums so that it can get more clicks and people can rage about it. Way to feed the algorithm people!

And I don't know that you can call a niche site like this "serious journalism".

I don't think there truly exists a thing like serious journalism in a hobby niche, but I like to use their own language to illustrate absurdity when and where it rears its head.

You don't have to be a 100% bad individual to do bad actions. That's why on average, the bad actions will be handled accordingly due to moderation and policing. It's an example as to why countries have laws, judicial systems, and law enforcement.

He didn't have to make that username. He had a choice. He chose wrong, thus he receives a punishment for it. It's that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom