• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cracks Down on Racial Slurs Used in Street Fighter 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
didnt see any bad shit when i played 2 days ago.

Weird that capcom didnt implement some standard filter

MikeLitoris
Fuckface McCunt
Hugh G Rection
Stiffy McBoing
Dongelore.

Or calling your pokemon "Penis" is always a classic. Especially when it's a Bug-type. "Penis used Harden!"

Or putting it into the Day-Care..."Your Penis has grown a lot!" "Yeah, just wait until it evolves."

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You don't have to be a 100% bad individual to do bad actions. That's why on average, the bad actions will be handled accordingly due to moderation and policing. It's an example as to why countries have laws, judicial systems, and law enforcement.

He didn't have to make that username. He had a choice. He chose wrong, thus he receives a punishment for it. It's that simple.

I mean, we don't disagree there.

But there is an imposition of law and Order online now that didn't exist back in the day. It's just kind of lame seeing the internet go from "that cool place the guys hang out at," to "government run/politically correct tool of the upstanding citizen!"

Just that creeping feeling that all of our spots are being curated and filtered in the name of a "clean, fun, safe internet," and it's like...

THOSE people had a choice, too. And I'd say they chose wrong.

Nautilus

Banned
Personally I feel like its overkill to give a permanent ban. Its just a kid trying to be edgy. Won't be the first time you see it, and will never dissapear. All Capcom is doing, instead of giving a 1 month ban or something, is probably losing a fan of their games permanently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fuz

Nautilus

Banned

But there is an imposition of law and Order online now that didn't exist back in the day. It's just kind of lame seeing the internet go from "that cool place the guys hang out at," to "government run/politically correct tool of the upstanding citizen!"

Just that creeping feeling that all of our spots are being curated and filtered in the name of a "clean, fun, safe internet," and it's like...

This.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Slow Motion Yes GIF by MOODMAN

EDIT:

Bolding added by me. If I was playing alone, yeah, probs no big deal. But if I was playing and my daughter saw it.... yeah, man, I'd be deeply concerned. Look, man, some people just want to play games without being reminded of the all that racism in the world. Saying that people being offended or concerned are just clutching pearls is a pretty narrow way of looking at the various ways that racism affects different people. Just because the intent may be juvenile, doesn't mean the effect it can have on people is.

That's a fair point, too. Everyone's experience is relative to their own lives. But at the same time, it always makes me think: There are places in the world where people are thrown off buildings to their deaths for being homosexual. There were people in the past (and present, and probably future) who will get imprisoned, beat or even murdered for being a certain race, gender, orientation, etc.

It's 2023 and we have all this knowledge, and technology, and networking, and intelligence, and what are the first world countries doing to combat it? Twitter hashtags, special M&M's, rainbow or blacked out profile pics and 200 year bans on fighting games? I'm sure that will make Henry smile from the great beyond after his family had to take his body down from the tree the lynch mob was at.

giphy.gif

Sure sure big censorship issue etc., but a T for Teen video game shouldn't be the hill to die on regarding the larger issue you're talking about.

Everyone needs to remember that every company has a terms of service. This includes the most popular websites like Youtube, Twitch, etc. Whenever someone breaks TOS and then complains that they're being censored, they're not connecting the dots correctly. GAF has a TOS too. That's why the edgier/contrarian posters in this thread keep riding that line heavily but they won't step over it to meet the ban hammer face first.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
giphy.gif

Sure sure big censorship issue etc., but a T for Teen video game shouldn't be the hill to die on regarding the larger issue you're talking about.

Everyone needs to remember that every company has a terms of service. This includes the most popular websites like Youtube, Twitch, etc. Whenever someone breaks TOS and then complains that they're being censored, they're not connecting the dots correctly. GAF has a TOS too. That's why the edgier/contrarian posters in this thread keep riding that line heavily but they won't step over it to meet the ban hammer face first.

I guess for me, it's just like...

This shit happened for years before anyone started 200 year bans, and we all made it out okay. No one killed themselves because someone spammed Jew insults on WoW.

The safer The System TM keeps us, the more woefully unprepared we'll be to do anything without it.

I don't care if it's something they believe in or just putting out there because they like the negative attention - it's all the same to me. Ban 'em to hell.

I guess for me, it's just like...

This shit happened for years before anyone started 200 year bans, and we all made it out okay. No one killed themselves because someone spammed Jew insults on WoW.

The safer The System TM keeps us, the more woefully unprepared we'll be to do anything without it.
That's because the internet was still new. Moderation systems were still new. Online communities were still new. We literally witnessed the caveman era of something firsthand. Right now, Terms of Service are pretty much 'internet laws' just like how we eventually created laws in civilization. You know, to be civilized.

Lokaum D+

Slow Motion Yes GIF by MOODMAN

EDIT:

Bolding added by me. If I was playing alone, yeah, probs no big deal. But if I was playing and my daughter saw it.... yeah, man, I'd be deeply concerned. Look, man, some people just want to play games without being reminded of the all that racism in the world. Saying that people being offended or concerned are just clutching pearls is a pretty narrow way of looking at the various ways that racism affects different people. Just because the intent may be juvenile, doesn't mean the effect it can have on people is.
If i m playing and my daughter saw it i would just explain to her that the world is full of idiots and that is behavior thas she shouldnt mimic ever, its our duty to teach and prepare our kids for this shit world.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That's because the internet was still new. Moderation systems were still new. Online communities were still new. We literally witnessed the caveman era of something firsthand. Right now, Terms of Service are pretty much 'internet laws' just like how we eventually created laws in civilization. You know, to be civilized.

I can understand moderation. I can understand a blanket ban on politics, racism, bigotry, etc in arenas where it truly matters. Keeping some 14 year old from playing a competitive fighting game for the rest of their lives (200 year ban? Just make it a permaban and stop cosplaying a federal prosecutor) isn't going to stop the tide of ANYTHING. It has the same aura as Twitch streamers doing cancer charities.

I want to end World violence, and I'll do my part by agreeing not to hit things anymore! What? That isn't where the majority of violence is occurring? Oh well, I still did my part!

No, you've done nothing.

14 year olds say this shit to be edgy. You're not striking down racists one at a time, you're banning some twit who didn't give a shit either way. Anonymity is what fuels boldness online. You think any of these kids would put on a name badge that said "Hello, my name is: ******killer," and go to the hood? Fuck no. It's like putting someone away for ten years for having a gram of weed while his roommate is sitting on a pound of it and an 8 ball.

It's a bunch of feel good posturing intended to snip off the more unsightly heads of the Hydra while we just let the main body chill.

I can understand moderation. I can understand a blanket ban on politics, racism, bigotry, etc in arenas where it truly matters. Keeping some 14 year old from playing a competitive fighting game for the rest of their lives (200 year ban? Just make it a permaban and stop cosplaying a federal prosecutor) isn't going to stop the tide of ANYTHING. It has the same aura as Twitch streamers doing cancer charities.

I want to end World violence, and I'll do my part by agreeing not to hit things anymore! What? That isn't where the majority of violence is occurring? Oh well, I still did my part!

No, you've done nothing.

14 year olds say this shit to be edgy. You're not striking down racists one at a time, you're banning some twit who didn't give a shit either way. Anonymity is what fuels boldness online. You think any of these kids would put on a name badge that said "Hello, my name is: ******killer," and go to the hood? Fuck no. It's like putting someone away for ten years for having a gram of weed while his roommate is sitting on a pound of it and an 8 ball.

It's a bunch of feel good posturing intended to snip off the more unsightly heads of the Hydra while we just let the main body chill.
giphy.gif

You're still shadowboxing here. This isn't about the random 14 year old and his feelings(if that even is his age). At the end of the day he can just make a new account or move on. This is about keeping rules as rules and terms of service as terms of service. It's not for people to 'like', it's for people to abide by. Fight whatever good fight you want to for freedom of speech, but for crying out loud just do it outside of a T for Teen fighting game.

You can't have everything you want everywhere. Even kids have learned this in life early on and if they never do, they end up spoiled or at worst, randomly walking into people's houses like that recent idiotic tiktoker and catching a charge for it. It doesn't change with the internet. Everyone needs to be smarter about these things and not always play devil's advocate because you think one random Japanese company is going to forever change the scope of censorship in the west.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
giphy.gif

You're still shadowboxing here. This isn't about the random 14 year old and his feelings(if that even is his age). At the end of the day he can just make a new account or move on. This is about keeping rules as rules and terms of service as terms of service. It's not for people to 'like', it's for people to abide by. Fight whatever good fight you want to for freedom of speech, but for crying out loud just do it outside of a T for Teen fighting game.

You can't have everything you want everywhere. Even kids have learned this in life early on and if they never do, they end up spoiled or at worst, randomly walking into people's houses like that recent idiotic tiktoker and catching a charge for it. It doesn't change with the internet. Everyone needs to be smarter about these things and not always play devil's advocate because you think one random Japanese company is going to forever change the scope of censorship in the west.

I feel like we're both arguing the same point, essentially, you just seem to think I fall into the group of people we're making a point against.

I am fully aware of ToS. And moderation. And I don't think that a 14 year old saying black slurs is going to change the face of censorship, but, a return query: is being a super hard ass over VIDEOGAME etiquette going to end racism?

Last edited:
is being a super hard ass over VIDEOGAME etiquette going to end racism?
No, but it will keep the company's image safe. That's their bottom line. Again, there is no end-all be all solution to racism online and you're thinking of this the wrong way. Capcom is policing, cleaning up, and taking care of their corner of the internet. They're allowed to do that because it's their company. If a new racist walked into Capcom headquarters every week and yelled slurs, each one would be kicked out every week. They wouldn't stop kicking them out because the visits won't end. The people who would kick them out are being paid to do so and not sit on their asses to allow it.

Screenshot-2023-06-06-212301.png

As players jump into the game and engage with the community, they’ve encountered a pattern of racist and bigoted behavior.

Given the history of offensive language in gaming, one would expect that Capcom had put measures in place to mitigate such behavior.

351534255_641648338001419_7310795883374416261_n-1.jpg

The individual responsible for the offensive username has been banned for a considerable period of 200 years. Although it is not a permanent ban, it sends a clear message that such behavior will not be tolerated.

351700850_213304054927489_6219360056174457258_n.jpg

Butter tits and Wet Testicles are funny tho, in a game full of physics based bounciness names like that kinda fit don't you think?😂😂😂

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
No, but it will keep the company's image safe. That's their bottom line. Again, there is no end-all be all solution to racism online and you're thinking of this the wrong way. Capcom is policing, cleaning up, and taking care of their corner of the internet. They're allowed to do that because it's their company. If a new racist walked into Capcom headquarters every week and yelled slurs, each one would be kicked out every week. They wouldn't stop kicking them out because the visits won't end. The people who would kick them out are being paid to do so and not sit on their asses to allow it.

"Cleaning up their corner,"

And

"Posturing to feel good about themselves,"

Is essentially the same sentence. I just take the cynical view.

"Cleaning up their corner,"

And

"Posturing to feel good about themselves,"

Is essentially the same sentence. I just take the cynical view.
I don't know if you've ever been in charge of something or a boss of something, because I don't want to assume what you do for a living, but I've never been in a situation nor have I ever seen another person in charge of something public-facing where they want things being run so loose to the point where they make their company look like shit. I would hope you feel the same way about whatever you have going on that you're in charge of.

Could you consider it posturing? Maybe. But are there people who genuinely take pride in their business and business's image? Yes, they do.

I've said something similar to this in a previous thread: Everyone has an ego but not everyone with an ego wants to be an asshole.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I don't know if you've ever been in charge of something or a boss of something, because I don't want to assume what you do for a living, but I've never been in a situation nor have I ever seen another person in charge of something public-facing where they want things being run so loose to the point where they make their company look like shit. I would hope you feel the same way about whatever you have going on that you're in charge of.

Could you consider it posturing? Maybe. But are there people who genuinely take pride in their business and business's image? Yes, they do.

I've said something similar to this in a previous thread: Everyone has an ego but not everyone with an ego wants to be an asshole.

Look, I do understand what you're saying. Moderating your forum, be it an actual forum or an online gaming community, or even a brick and mortar business. Yes, it's perfectly logical as standard rules of engagement that you shouldn't call people offensive slurs, nor allow it as a practice in any place you hold Domain over.

But...everyone has done this forever. Why is it news now?

NickFire

I do not understand why or how they would release a MP game without some sort of basic filters to prevent names like the one in the OP picture. If we can't count on pubs to block names like that there will come a point where responsible parents would feel little choice but to ban videogames for their kids. You can't exactly shield them from abject racism displayed above a character as easy as you can block access to game chat.

But...everyone has done this forever. Why is it news now?
It's always going to be news. It's always going to be pointed out because no one likes racism and clickbait articles are a thing now. Also, for the longest time Japanese companies still don't do a great job of realizing how edgy and over the top foreign communities are, so when things are run too loosely by a company that has good will, good image, and wants to keep if that way, these two things will clash and the company will want to correct the mistake because they want their product and company to look good. They have hired people to make these corrections and those people are doing their jobs.

The issue is that you're bringing this minor problem that was already solved, into a much larger discussion about general censorship. This is why I'm saying it's the wrong hill to stand on. The hill was unstable from the start, the exact minute that guy used the N-word.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's always going to be news. It's always going to be pointed out because no one likes racism and clickbait articles are a thing now. Also, for the longest time Japanese companies still don't do a great job of realizing how edgy and over the top foreign communities are, so when things are run too loosely by a company that has good will, good image, and wants to keep if that way, these two things will clash and the company will want to correct the mistake because they want their product and company to look good. They have hired people to make these corrections and those people are doing their jobs.

The issue is that you're bringing this minor problem that was already solved, into a much larger discussion about general censorship. This is why I'm saying it's the wrong hill to stand on. The hill was unstable from the start, the exact minute that guy used the N-word.

General censorship applies and is pervasive in basically any discussion that starts with "there's some controversy because guy x said thing y," I mean, if we're talking about harping on about a small thing being silly, I agree, which is why I stated my original take here in the thread. Free speech isn't always a cozy, warm, happy thing, but the wokeism of "freedom of speech, not freedom of consequence," applies (logically, in cases like this, illogically in others) as a natural check.

Yes, every public forum online has a necessary check box to verify you read the terms of service, and by making an account, you've performed an act implying you'll abide by said terms or face removal, but ToS arguments are a lot like YouTube arguments. When someone says that they've been shadow banned, or their videos aren't sending out notifications to subscribers, or they're getting buried, they blame the algorithm, like it's some kind of pagan deity, but the algorithm (and terms of service) have intricacies mandated by real flesh and blood humans. The ToS didn't fall out of the heavens, it was written. I grew up feeling like a pansy, but now I feel like I was in the rough and tumble wild west growing up, because back then we were trusted with the autonomy to not kill ourselves when someone said something mean online.

It starts with sensible censorship, things everyone can agree with - no violence, no threats, no doxing, no hardcore porn. But times and values change, and the people involved and making the rules start pushing a little at a time and in ten years, Tombstone turns into 1984.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
General censorship applies and is pervasive in basically any discussion that starts with "there's some controversy because guy x said thing y," I mean, if we're talking about harping on about a small thing being silly, I agree, which is why I stated my original take here in the thread. Free speech isn't always a cozy, warm, happy thing, but the wokeism of "freedom of speech, not freedom of consequence," applies (logically, in cases like this, illogically in others) as a natural check.

Yes, every public forum online has a necessary check box to verify you read the terms of service, and by making an account, you've performed an act implying you'll abide by said terms or face removal, but ToS arguments are a lot like YouTube arguments. When someone says that they've been shadow banned, or their videos aren't sending out notifications to subscribers, or they're getting buried, they blame the algorithm, like it's some kind of pagan deity, but the algorithm (and terms of service) have intricacies mandated by real flesh and blood humans. The ToS didn't fall out of the heavens, it was written. I grew up feeling like a pansy, but now I feel like I was in the rough and tumble wild west growing up, because back then we were trusted with the autonomy to not kill ourselves when someone said something mean online.

It starts with sensible censorship, things everyone can agree with - no violence, no threats, no doxing, no hardcore porn. But times and values change, and the people involved and making the rules start pushing a little at a time and in ten years, Tombstone turns into 1984.

I would argue "fighting against blatatn racism" is something that everyone can agree with. Such as with this shitstain in the OP.

Crayon

Dude. They didn't even spell it with 1's or 3's or anything. Game took the name as-is lol. Capcom please.

Florin4k4

I agree, they're still shitty people but everything is done (mostly) in an "edgy" and "HEY LOOK AT ME" way, also, i'd bet that these...fine individuals are mostly youngsters hence the idiotic/edgelord/shock behaviour.

Anyway, its absolutely NOT funny nor "entertaining" and this type of behaviour should be absolutely criticized and/or banned.

Christ, the times i've been called a nigger/Mexican/Wetback on Xbox live back in the good ol' Halo 3 /COD days soured me from online play up to this day.

I never understood this shit but, here we are...
Mexican is considered a derogatory term? Lol

shoplifter

I do not understand why or how they would release a MP game without some sort of basic filters to prevent names like the one in the OP picture.
Because we've now come full circle and even seeing THOSE WORDS when implementing the filters and testing them causes triggering and great mental anguish to the employees.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I would argue "fighting against blatatn racism" is something that everyone can agree with. Such as with this shitstain in the OP.

Is the dude a blatant racist or a try hard 16 year old? I promise you the grand wizard in the Klan is more of a racist than some jackass playing whatever the fuck this game is, I honestly can't remember. That's my point. All the effort people put into ToS or programs to flag words or instaban large numbers of people. All That money, manpower time that probably 400 actual examples of harmful prejudice happen during, but we did our part because FaeFolk16 retweeted our moral superiority and we got the likes and retwootles so all is well.

Just seems like good effort going into bad places.

Capcom should have a no tolerance policy for racism. Remember how FChamp was banned from playing at any Capcom sponsored tournaments for making fun of BLM on Twitter? It’s enough for people to lose sponsorships.
Wow that happened? You make fun of a political group and you get banned? Do you also get banned for voting libertarian or Republican? It's not like BLM represents all black people or anything it's just a political group with specific views and controversial one at that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Is the dude a blatant racist or a try hard 16 year old? I promise you the grand wizard in the Klan is more of a racist than some jackass playing whatever the fuck this game is, I honestly can't remember. That's my point. All the effort people put into ToS or programs to flag words or instaban large numbers of people. All That money, manpower time that probably 400 actual examples of harmful prejudice happen during, but we did our part because FaeFolk16 retweeted our moral superiority and we got the likes and retwootles so all is well.

Just seems like good effort going into bad places.

If a 16 year old is being a "try hard" by doing this, they are still being racist little shits and deserve the life ban. Fuck them. This isn't acceptable in any way, shape, or form. This isn't someone saying they will fuck your ma, this is someone being overtly racist. Even if they don't "mean it", that doesn't change the fact they made the effort to do this.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I would honestly take a look at yourself and ask why you are trying to shard to defend the little cunts. This is unacceptable, period.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Capcom should have a no tolerance policy for racism. Remember how FChamp was banned from playing at any Capcom sponsored tournaments for making fun of BLM on Twitter? It’s enough for people to lose sponsorships.

Mocking BLM is not racist. The fuck you on about?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If a 16 year old is being a "try hard" by doing this, they are still being racist little shits and deserve the life ban. Fuck them. This isn't acceptable in any way, shape, or form. This isn't someone saying they will fuck your ma, this is someone being overtly racist. Even if they don't "mean it", that doesn't change the fact they made the effort to do this.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I would honestly take a look at yourself and ask why you are trying to shard to defend the little cunts. This is unacceptable, period.

Okay, for starters, I'm having a discussion. You can fuck off with the sly racist accusations, I don't play that cute shit, nor am I going to continue discussing anything with someone so unsure of their own opinion that they have to resort to this vogue tribalism "if you aren't with me, you're against me hurr durrr,"

Have a nice day.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Okay, for starters, I'm having a discussion. You can fuck off with the sly racist accusations, I don't play that cute shit, nor am I going to continue discussing anything with someone so unsure of their own opinion that they have to resort to this vogue tribalism "if you aren't with me, you're against me hurr durrr,"

Have a nice day.

Nah, mate. This has nothing to do with Tribalism, despite your best efforts to frame it that way. This is you trying desperately to defend a racist little shit. Do better.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm defending being able to say whatever you want. If you're a hateful person, go off. If you're Mother Theresa, go the fuck off. I don't care.

Again, defending racist little shits. You can pretty it up however you like but there are clearly things that 99.9% of humanity would agree that we don't need. Objectively racist nonsense is one of them.

Understandable just please dont censor anything else or take away free chat. I love how chaotic the chat can get lol.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Again, defending racist little shits. You can pretty it up however you like but there are clearly things that 99.9% of humanity would agree that we don't need. Objectively racist nonsense is one of them.

Okay, dude, I'm in the Klan, you win. Jesus fucking Christ.

I'm not typing /s in spoilers, but i bet I had you going.

Last edited:

Wow that happened? You make fun of a political group and you get banned? Do you also get banned for voting libertarian or Republican? It's not like BLM represents all black people or anything it's just a political group with specific views and controversial one at that.

Mocking BLM is not racist. The fuck you on about?

Did you see what he said? He compared it to a watermelon. He said that a watermelon’s life matters.

Here is an archive link of the tweet he made, so you can all see the actual statement and context:

As an aside, the irony is not lost on me seeing MrWiz in the replies saying "Not cool" (a mere few weeks later, Wiz himself was ousted from EVO for sexual misconduct accusations).

Raven77

Not getting the game anymore.

The user name WetTesticles is taken, which I wanted, so what would be the point?

Raonak

Banned
Personally I feel like its overkill to give a permanent ban. Its just a kid trying to be edgy. Won't be the first time you see it, and will never dissapear. All Capcom is doing, instead of giving a 1 month ban or something, is probably losing a fan of their games permanently.
Doing dumb shit should have consequences. A permanent ban (or 200 year ban) is good.

If you want to be an edgelord loser, then getting banned comes with the territory.

If he was a fan of the game, he either wouldn't do that in the first place, or would just create an alt account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom