• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Cracks Down on Racial Slurs Used in Street Fighter 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raonak

Banned
Nah, the world doesn't work like that. Imagine having a bad day, as we all probably had if you lived long enough, and being banned or expelled for life from somewhere because of a momentarily lack of good judgement.

There is a reason why crimes have varying degrees of severity and varying degrees of punishment. Putting your username as Nigger in a videogame that has zero impact in the world, that doesn't even have voice chat or chat in general as far as I know, is veeeeery low in terms of its impacg on society, and the punishment should be accordingly.

Personally, I find lame for someone to get offended by something as innofensive as this, but that's me.
Actually the world does work like that. "I had a bad day" isn't a valid excuse.

If you think saying such a garbage word has zero impact in the world,
then surely you agree that getting banned from a video game zero impact in the world too?

If you think "it's just words" then "It's just a game" isn't it?
Like how is getting banned from something have any impact in the world?

And if you really stand by your opinion, then...
go ahead, start adding racial slurs to all your posts, it's clear you really want to.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
We give words power when we acknowledge them. Ignore them and they will tire of the lack of responses.
Problem is that these words already have power because racists use them.

If someone keeps calling you a bitch ignoring it doesn't make it better.

You're not taking the power away. You're just normalizing it.

But maybe that's what you guys want.

To some people, the way to "fix" racism is to normalize racism.

Last edited:

Nydius

because of a momentarily lack of good judgement.
There’s zero chance this was just a “momentary lack of good judgement” on the part of the individual with the name. It was intentional. Whether the intent was to be overtly racist or just to be an internet edgelord is irrelevant, it was an intentional violation of the TOS.

To me, this isn’t the same as when Blizzard got all soft with Overwatch and banned “GGEZ”. That’s truly inoffensive and a ridiculous overreach. This guy deserved the ban he got because he knew damn well what he was doing.

Banned

words have no meaning outside of situational and grammatical context.

pointing at a black guy and saying "go back to Africa you fucking n-word" would literally make no difference, even tho he uses the politically correct censored synonym...

a word should never be of any concern. context and meaning should.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
words have no meaning outside of situational and grammatical context.

pointing at a black guy and saying "go back to Africa you fucking n-word" would literally make no difference, even tho he uses the politically correct censored synonym...

a word should never be of any concern. context and meaning should.
There is a difference, someone is going to fix his nose.

Sometimes I've wondered why the politics section here was nuked. Then the gaming section gives me a sample...threads with responses like the ones in this thread, and then I feel like I understand.

F31 Leopard

Reminds me of MHGU on Switch. The lobbies were wild. Here are a few screenshot I took way back. I have a lot more than this.
hUA77GL.jpg
dtQJspM.jpg
CHTSzGx.jpg
GK12CXP.jpg
QTpsA4O.jpg

hKYrzwp.jpg

t1RdQwJ.jpg

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Truth be told - they are always going to find a way to do this
IMO I don't even think these are people with actual racists ideals just idiot kids trying to go for maximum shock value

When they are not getting the sense they are getting under your skin they will eventually give it up.
This is in a lot of stuff, not just videogames

Disco Dave

Likely just a few knob head kids on SF6. Doesn't look like it's organised.

I remember when Habbo Hotel was constantly getting raided by users who created a black avatar with an afro and blocked the pool citing public safety (I think they said it had aids in the water irc). Can't recall which communities were involved but I'm guessing 4Chan was one of them.

Totally broke the game.

KqV7DKA.jpg

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The thing about this nowadays is ..

It’s just as likely someone creates racist character names to bitch about them in their online article as it is that an actual racist creates one.

Why not police everything up front and block everything?
For one it’s impossible as a lot of peoples real names contain these character strings. Plus by letting it happen you can quickly remove those people from the community all together. And It’s the old “ you never learn if you don’t fall down “ rule.

Three

You don't have to be a 100% bad individual to do bad actions. That's why on average, the bad actions will be handled accordingly due to moderation and policing. It's an example as to why countries have laws, judicial systems, and law enforcement.

He didn't have to make that username. He had a choice. He chose wrong, thus he receives a punishment for it. It's that simple.
I don't own SF6. Where is the username created? Is it within SF or is it your id on the network?

I can see Capcom making the mistake of not vetting the usernames. it's a PC user and I'm not sure where he's created it. Whereas such a username would probably have already been banned or asked to change their id on PSN/XBL/Steam. Seeing as he's on PC I'm not sure if this ban would even mean anything either, probably knew they would get banned but can just create a new one. Likely doesn't risk an account attached to anything outside of it.

Outlier

Maybe for others, but not me.
The only times I hear about racist language being a problem is when people complain about others saying them. Not because it actually caused real harm.

I was called the "N" word ONCE in my whole life, when I was 9 y/o, by a friend of a friend, who I had just met. Did the word hurt me? No. What hurt was him deciding to immediately antagonize me, for no good reason.

I was called gay in school, many times. That word also didn't hurt. It was an obvious intent of the other kids trying to get under my skin and upset me.

I learned real quick that many people just choose bad social paths in life. Those people tend to live unhappy lives. I also learned to become stoic LONG before I even heard of stoicism.

Nope, there's no plan here and you're being outplayed/arguing against an unmovable wall. I realized what's happening early on and disengaged. Some of the smarter ones here are talking and pivoting like politicians. One of them even blatantly used the word twice against GAF TOS(and the second post of them using it hasn't even been moderated nor have they been reprimanded for it). No one is ever going to give you the blatant answers you're looking for because they're all playing it in the smartest ways possible with maximum use of plausible deniability.

You simply have to read the room to see what's going on. It's clear that person in question is already being painted as a child to feel sympathetic for(even though his age was never confirmed) because young teens are known to make mistakes, thus this was an 'innocent mistake'. The word itself is being intentionally downplayed to back that painted image up so that it can be seen as a joke. On top of that, multiple people here are trying to lightly gaslight/jedi mind trick others(including yourself) here that this is all alright, it's not a big deal, and should be normalized, because gaming services like XBL made the mistake of not having better moderation during the first years of the internet. Like I said, read the room man.

This thread is not worth a petty last word bump. Sometimes it's okay to simply stop replying and let a thread die.

hemo memo

Gold Member
The people with those names live on attention. The correct approach was to just report it in game and let Capcom handle it. Making a big fuzz about it in social media is exactly what those people want.

Are you seriously trying to defend literal racist terminology being used as names? Nah, son. This isn't just insulting. This goes beyond that.
ban the words
ban the players
ban the thoughts
burn the books
wait i mean ban the words

monetarily, it's prudent for capcom to sanitize the online experience, at least for player under a certain age. surprised they didn't with v1.0.
personally as an adult, use racist terminology or anything else for your name, i dont care.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
ban the words
ban the players
ban the thoughts
burn the books

monetarily, it's prudent for capcom to sanitize the online experience, at least for player under a certain age. surprised they didn't with v1.0.
personally as an adult, use racist terminology or anything else for your name, i dont care.
That's so profoundly stupid that I don't know where to begin. If you think N*****Killer is a good and normal user name and freeze peached....you have most likely never set a foot outside.

No wonder OT is filled with "I fucked a girl" threads like a badge of honor. Bitch I fuck my girl every day, and I didn't make a goddamn thread about it and I sure as hell know that anyone saying N*****Killer deserves a 200 years ban. That's not even arguable.

I feel like we are reverting to something that this forum never was, and worked hard and long to eliminate but now some fuckas are trying to skate around the lines I feel.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That's so profoundly stupid that I don't know where to begin. If you think N*****Killer is a good and normal user name and freeze peached....you have most likely never set a foot outside.

No wonder OT is filled with "I fucked a girl" threads like a badge of honor. Bitch I fuck my girl every day, and I didn't make a goddamn thread about it and I sure as hell know that anyone saying N*****Killer deserves a 200 years ban. That's not even arguable.

I feel like we are reverting to something that this forum never was, and worked hard and long to eliminate but now some fuckas are trying to skate around the lines I feel.

I think this issue, and most issues in gaming, and your post can be replied to quite adequately with "It's not that serious,"

EDMIX

Either that or you play games with good moderation systems. Japanese developers sometimes forget that once they release their games west, they introduce them to thousands of edgelords and racists.

The corrections and bans will happen eventually.

If the world was full of NeoGAF posters, maybe. However, Capcom doesn't want this to spread and affect their money. You let one do it, more will come. Then it gets worse for their company and brand. Don't worry though @Arcadialane , they will still make edgy and racist avatars with added plausible deniability.

Agreed.

I feel people like this need to put their life savings into a business and then start telling folks this is ok to go on with their product and we'll see how much this shit is or isn't a big deal. When its not their bottom line, not their money, not their life savings, they own zero business, they will never really, 100% understand.

I don't know of any major company that is completely ok with some form of hate speech or something

Sleepwalker

Likely just a few knob head kids on SF6. Doesn't look like it's organised.

I remember when Habbo Hotel was constantly getting raided by users who created a black avatar with an afro and blocked the pool citing public safety (I think they said it had aids in the water irc). Can't recall which communities were involved but I'm guessing 4Chan was one of them.

Totally broke the game.

KqV7DKA.jpg
Lmao, goddamit man I loved the mid 2000s, take me back

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
ban the words
ban the players
ban the thoughts
burn the books

You and kira are both morons for thinking that the banning of actual racist language is akin to a slippery slope and that they should get light treatment. Three year olds know not to be racist shits. Do better than this.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Words cause NO damage. Many people are just fragile.
A long time ago I worked on MMOs. The in-game GMs on those games see names worse than those in the OP on a daily basis. I remember one that combined slurs against two different races in the first and last name of the character. It was so extreme, the trainer there would use it as an example in training as something that would get someone banned immediately.

Well that person eventually went to another developer who was preparing to launch their MMO. Before that game even hit its public beta, he got fired for using racial slurs. Why? An opportunistic little shit who saw that person as standing in their career path went and cried to HR when they heard that player name example used in training.

Raonak

Banned
My point seems to have gone over your head...
If I say slurs to people, there is a chance that certain people would retaliate. That would only prove my point that some people can't handle words.
You just proved that words do indeed have power and meaning. There's a reason why people think before they speak.

Words have consequences. That how life works.

Its internet and unfortunately you cant stop people from being total assholes on internet.
You can never stop assholes, but you can slow them down a bit by banning them.

Kilau

A long time ago I worked on MMOs. The in-game GMs on those games see names worse than those in the OP on a daily basis. I remember one that combined slurs against two different races in the first and last name of the character. It was so extreme, the trainer there would use it as an example in training as something that would get someone banned immediately.

Well that person eventually went to another developer who was preparing to launch their MMO. Before that game even hit its public beta, he got fired for using racial slurs. Why? An opportunistic little shit who saw that person as standing in their career path went and cried to HR when they heard that player name example used in training.
And that trainer’s name…

Papa John.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom